Free Falling, Chap[ter 16 (final)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effanbee

The Fly
Say goodbye, girls - this is the END!

Free Falling
Chapter 16

Walking in the Parnell rose gardens, blessed by the warm sun, surrounded by delicate perfume and rainbow colours. Petals like silk, sensuous under my fingertips, scattered across the paths in soft mosaics.

A shady seat beneath a tree enticed me to rest a while. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, blissfully lost in the dreaming afternoon. I kicked off my shoes, cool grass beneath bare feet, all senses heightened, all colours, scents, sounds and touch ringing like bells of purest tone.

This is love, I thought. Unconditional and infinite. I love him so very much, more than I thought possible. And if he’s not here, in person, it doesn’t matter. Wherever we are in the world it will never be too far away.

The power of it took my breath away, brought tears to my eyes there among the roses.

As if I’d manifested it from my thoughts, the sound of his voice.

‘An angel in the garden. Is she real or did I dream her?’

‘We dreamed each other and we are both real,’ I said without opening my eyes.

Softest touch of his lips, the texture of the roses. I opened my eyes. ‘How did you find me?’ I asked.

Bono smiled. ‘I’ll always find you, Roo.’

I stroked his face with my fingertips. Bono leaned into my hand like a cat, half-closing his eyes. For a long while we did not speak, the depth of our feelings negating the need for words.

‘Are you ready to go back to the real world now, dearest man?’

‘Yes, I am,’ said Bono quietly. ‘I’m seeing things a little differently now, angel. This has changed me a lot, you know.’

‘It’s changed us both, Bono,’ I said. ‘It’s been an interesting journey along this path we’ve travelled together.’

‘We haven’t reached the end, Roo,’ said Bono. ‘We’ll meet up again, further down the road.’

‘I’m sure of that,’ I said. ‘I’ve got so many dreams and plans for the future, Bono. Nothing’s going to hold me back now.’

‘It sounds as if my cynical little woman has had a revelation,’ remarked Bono with a smile.

‘Ah, Bono. Ever hopeful that my pagan soul will be redeemed,’ I said, laughing softly. ‘It’s not God that’s lifted the scales from my eyes, dear one. It’s love, pure and simple.’

Bono took my hands and rested his forehead against mine.

‘Darlin’, don’t you know they’re one and the same thing?’ he whispered.

Epilogue
10 years after

Janey looked out on the misty landscape. Veils of rain swept across the sea, which raged and foamed and crashed against the shore.

‘Touch of the blues today, dear?’ asked Sam. He regarded his wife over the top of his newspaper.

‘All kinds of blue. I miss her so much, Sam.’ A tear spilled down Janey’s cheek and Sam folded his newspaper, went to put his arms around his wife.

‘I know,’ he said gently. ‘We all miss her. She will be remembered though, by many people, through her work at Sweetwaters.’

Janey rested her head against Sam’s broad shoulder. ‘I always felt she missed out, not being able to do what we’re doing now. You know, Sam, just sharing simple, everyday things.’

Sam stroked Janey’s hair, grey now like his own, like all the other people they knew of the same age. Those who had any hair left, anyway.

‘When I first met Roo,’ he said thoughtfully, ‘I got the impression she was driven by something, or searching for something. Later, I realised what it was.’

‘She found it, in Bono,’ Janey agreed. ‘All that love she had for him, Sam. It seemed so cruel that they couldn’t be together. I almost hated him, you know, but Roo would defend him like a tiger, there was no arguing with her.’

‘He loved her too, Janey,’ Sam said. ‘Adam used to say it was amazing when they were around each other, like an electric field. That sort of force can’t be denied by time or space, they both understood it.’

‘Roo said it set them both free. I don’t know if I’ll ever understand it,’ Janey sighed. ‘She was happy in the end, though. The retreat at Sweetwaters was never work to her, she said. It was giving something back to the world.’

‘Tomorrow we’ll be giving Roo back to the world,’ Sam said. ‘She wouldn’t want you to be so sad, my love. Remember all the good times you had together.’

‘Roo always prescribed wine and a large bar of chocolate for the blues,’ Janey said, wiping her eyes. ‘That or some horribly strenuous form of exercise.’

‘Then let’s combine all three,’ said Sam with a smile. ‘With the exercise taking a slightly gentler form.’

There is always a wind blowing here, at the place where two seas meet, thought Edge. Even when the rest of the world is still. He looked at Bono, standing beside him.

‘There are voices in the wind, Edge. Can you hear them?’ Bono said distantly.

Edge shivered. ‘Roo heard them when we were here all those years ago,’ he said. ‘She said they told her that when this day came it would be the start of a great adventure.’

Bono stood silently as the wind whispered, ‘All will be well, all will be well.’

I have everything a man could wish for, he thought. Why, then, do I feel so empty? I never thought you’d go before me, angel … will you be there to light my way when my time comes, as you were always here for me in this world?

‘It’s time,’ said Edge quietly. Bono nodded agreement. Roo had been very clear about not wanting any speeches, no eulogies. Only in people’s hearts, she had said.

So Edge lifted the plain black urn and opened the lid to the sky, letting the contents catch the wind in a grey swirl.

Bono watched the small cloud rise and disperse over the sea, feeling his heart go with it. He raised his face to the sky, God speed my love, I’ll see you on the other side …

The wind caressed his face and Bono closed his eyes, feeling an eerie energy which gathered and suddenly slammed into him with a force that made him gasp.

Edge turned in alarm, seeing Bono with his head thrown back in agony or ecstasy, Edge couldn’t tell.

Bono shuddered as the pure energy flowed through him, filling the emptiness, making him whole again. The voices in the wind flowed together into one, no more than a whisper but very clear – only love, now and forever, for you my love – and then gone, as suddenly as it came.

Bono opened his eyes and there was the sky and sea, as it always was, and the wind was once more just a wind. He turned, seeing his family, his friends, the people he loved around him and felt truly blessed.

Edge was watching Bono carefully, knowing that something strange and powerful had happened. Bono would put it into words, Edge knew, later. For the present Bono just half-smiled and shook his head.

They turned and started up the steep path together, leaving the place of souls behind, and the world moved on.

OMG! Did not see that coming. I'm sobbing right now, how sad. :sad:

You're a terrific writer, I hope you write more and share it with us.

The last few chapters kept me out of bordom while I was sick.
Thanks for sharing your writing talents.

Wow.

I can barely see what I'm typing with the tears streaming down my face. That's the first time I've truly sobbed when reading a story. I don't know whether it's a culmination of the week I've had or what, but wow.....I feel like a part of me died with Roo.....

Effanbee, that was the most amazing story. It carried me on it's wind, through the gentle happy breeze, through to the stormy gales and back again. Your writing is amazing expressive and let me see what Roo and the guys were seeing, almost as if I were there in the story with them. I'm sad to see it go, but feel richer for having read it.

Don't EVER stop writing. And when you get a book published, I bags the first signed copy!!!

Crying...tears falling faster than I can wiped them away.
Beautiful. Just beautiful. And powerful.
You have a way, Effanbee...thank you for your thoughts and time.
Going for more tissues now...
Man...just beautiful~~

I'm speechless I think. I can honestly say it's the first time that fanfic has made my scalp feel like it's crawling. (Ok, I know I'm a very strange human being...:lol: :lol: ). It's ending is so very different from any that I've come across before. You simply don't expect the heroine to die...:sad: However, as with all good fiction and good writers you always get to leave the table with the characters still very much alive in your head and end up spending the next few days thinking about it. Least I do.

I've begun something that's a little out of the ordinary; it's still in it's infancy and after I'd let my friend read it she went off for her planned w/e away to the country. When she came back she said she kept thinking of my heroine all the time she was away. Every time she saw a river, she thought of her and that was the greatest compliment anyone has ever paid me. It meant that she was thinking about my story all the time and I think that this is what's happening here. Ppl will remember this story as many of the others fall beside the wayside because a) it's so well written and b) because the chararcters took on such an intense personality of their own - or rather of your making.

I'll look forward to the next great peice from you.:)

gluey said:
Wow.

I can barely see what I'm typing with the tears streaming down my face. That's the first time I've truly sobbed when reading a story. I don't know whether it's a culmination of the week I've had or what, but wow.....I feel like a part of me died with Roo.....

Effanbee, that was the most amazing story. It carried me on it's wind, through the gentle happy breeze, through to the stormy gales and back again. Your writing is amazing expressive and let me see what Roo and the guys were seeing, almost as if I were there in the story with them. I'm sad to see it go, but feel richer for having read it.

Don't EVER stop writing. And when you get a book published, I bags the first signed copy!!!

you typed the exact same thing I would have.... :sad:

thanks so much Effanbee, I hope you'll have more stories in the future!

that was beautiful and sad, and I guess you ended in a way that made it so Bono and Roo could not be together physically, but we know they are together in a spirtual sense.. which is just as beautiful:sad:

I can't find words to express other than to repeat what the others have said dear Effanbee.

This story was beyond beautiful and powerful...and as Gluey says you've got to start getting your stuff published!

I can hardly speak. So absolutely stunning though I won't try to write anymore because there's no way I can do it justice. Just thank you, thank you for creating a world and characters who I can escape to and with when life requires that. Sweetwaters was a retreat for me as well as others ...I'll be back to reread over and over.

Gaah I'm writing much more than I meant, *sigh* Hear hear to a wonderful writer and the most human of fictional and non fictional characters.

Love

Anna Spanna

Last edited:
It's sad to see this story end.I would have liked to see this story continue,but you had Roo end up dieing.I would have loved to have seen Bono chose to stay with Roo and grow old with her,but...I wonder if he got to see her before she died and did he get to hold her in his arms before she died? I guess that's left up to our imagination.I'll always remember this story.Once again great work Effanbee.

Hello everyone, back in NZ now and a bit dazed from a whirlwind 5 days in Sydney so may not be making much sense. Do I ever? Nah, but who cares!

First of all and most important, thank you so much to you all for sharing this journey, your thoughts and reactions have meant more to me than I can express. You've strengthend my resolve to unleash the writer within and work towards having my first book published - and it will be dedicated to my fellow PLEBAns :hug: :hug:

I knew that the ending would be challenging for some of us. As Bono's Lady said, I've left it to your own imaginations as to how Roo died, whether Bono was with her before then or at the end … whatever sits best with you, that's how it was.

Annj expressed what, for me, was a central part of the story: although they could not be together physically, their love was so strong it defied physical boundaries. That's how it is sometimes, in 'real life', and we are so blessed when unconditional love is gifted to us.

Whether we use these stories as an escape or if they strike a chord that resonates with something going on in our lives now or in the past, if they help to bring us peace or clarity or make us think, laugh, cry or maybe face a fear - that's a powerully positive thing. I know I read the stories on this forum for all of the above reasons and thank the writers for their gift.

Love to everyone. :kiss:

Effanbee said:
Hello everyone, back in NZ now and a bit dazed from a whirlwind 5 days in Sydney so may not be making much sense. Do I ever? Nah, but who cares!

First of all and most important, thank you so much to you all for sharing this journey, your thoughts and reactions have meant more to me than I can express. You've strengthend my resolve to unleash the writer within and work towards having my first book published - and it will be dedicated to my fellow PLEBAns :hug: :hug:

I knew that the ending would be challenging for some of us. As Bono's Lady said, I've left it to your own imaginations as to how Roo died, whether Bono was with her before then or at the end … whatever sits best with you, that's how it was.

Annj expressed what, for me, was a central part of the story: although they could not be together physically, their love was so strong it defied physical boundaries. That's how it is sometimes, in 'real life', and we are so blessed when unconditional love is gifted to us.

Whether we use these stories as an escape or if they strike a chord that resonates with something going on in our lives now or in the past, if they help to bring us peace or clarity or make us think, laugh, cry or maybe face a fear - that's a powerully positive thing. I know I read the stories on this forum for all of the above reasons and thank the writers for their gift.

Love to everyone. :kiss:

Well said. Sometimes the best stories/movies leave the imagination up to us – the audience.

What is your book about? Do you have much of it done?

I don't know what I expected when I started reading stories in this forum, but it wasn't this. I am astounded.

I have only recently started reading here, but I couldn't leave this story without adding my comments to those above. Although as others have stated, I can't say much more than what has already been said.
Two amazing stories - I read Learning to Fly yesterday, and Free Falling today. I could have devoured both in an evening, but it would have been too much.
Your stories have affected me powerfully. Every character got almost immediately under my skin, especially Roo, and I haven't cried this hard since I read HP #6. You could change the names and get this published in a flash. If the book you are writing is anything like this, then you will have no trouble at all (I hope!). I want to read that book, too, when it is published.

Sorry if it's poor ettiquette to bump posts like this, but I wanted to say something.
Please, keep writing!

^You can bump anytime, sweetie :D

When I started reading the stories on this forum I was amazed at the talent and quality of the writers. We've got some fabulous stories from youvedonewhat, spanna, anj, SadGirl, Grace Ryan and others so check them out too!

I'm so glad my stories touched your heart and thank you for your kind, positive feedback. It was hard to let Roo go, what started as a light-hearted way of passing the time before the band arrived in NZ turned into something entirely different which kept me up into the wee small hours many nights. I'm writing one with Larry as the central character right now, it's taking a while to evolve so probably won't be posted for a while. I like to complete the stories and then edit (and re-edit, and re-edit …) before posting.

The book, well, I don't know if it will ever see the light of day! At the rate it's going I'll be 90 before it's finished, but who knows. PLEBAns will be the first to know if it ever happens. :wink:

Thank you for the recommendations, I will have a look at those too, as time permits. :)

I really think you should give the book a chance - but I don't want to pressure you. :) I am looking forward to reading more of your writing, published here or elsewhere.

I should point out that your stories also had me laughing out loud, and made me think a great deal. I think I should go back and read the funny parts to take my mind off the ending. :)

Thank you again!

I am new to reading this fanfic section. I want to tell you that you are truely a gifted writer. Your discriptions of people and place drew me in and I I felt like I was there in the middle of it all. I could see each place so clearly. I was weeping quite uncontrolably at the end, and I was so angry. Had Larry, or for that matter , Adam and Edge been standing in front of me I would have spat at them I hated them so much. I must say that I think you did a good job in pinning their personalities, as much as one could without knowing them. You perception of each of them is very close to my own. I only hope that in truth, they would be more supportive and less interfering in each others lives. It is a good writer who can evoke that kind of emotion in their readers. I loved it and I hated it. Thanks for a great read.

Welcome to the fanfic forum dragonfly wolfe :wave:

That's interesting feedback on the story - did you hate the characters because they contributed to keeping Bono and Roo apart? I'm sorry they made you so angry!

It's great to hear a completely different interpretation, I guess if 10 people all read the same book each one would have a different image of it and the writer's wouldn't necessarily be the 'right' one. Thanks for giving me food for thought and hope you'll stay and read the other great stories on the forum. :wink:

Thanks Effanbee for the welcome. I hated the characters because I felt like they did not give Bono and Roo the opportunity to come to their own solution, even though they both knew and expressed what that would eventually be. I also did not feel that they had anyone's best interest at heart except their own and that they came to Sweetwater to get what they needed in their own lives. It was like good cop and bad cop.Larry was the bad cop, but they were all working together for their own ends. It probably was not what you were intending, but it was how I felt about. Like I said it was a great read, and in the end Bono and Roo got the big f#*k you because inspite of out side efforts their love transcended everything. I hope their will be more stories and I am checking out some of the others.

Back
Top Bottom