for steve...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I breaks my heart for Terri and the children. I read this article just last month and now knowing that less than a month later, he is dead is just devastating.

Late last night while in bed I flipped on the TV and surfed channels but stopped on several channels who were airing interviews, footage and coverage of Steve Irwin and his shocking tragic death. There was a Larry King interview with his business partner, Cousteau's son and others and there was a show on Animal Planet and some other channel. Very very sad loss. RIP Steve.

Friends vow to continue Irwin's work

1.00pm Wednesday September 6, 2006
By Sam Benger

It's the man behind the myth that "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin's friends and staff will miss most, but all are determined to keep his legacy burning bright.

The website for the charity established by Steve and wife Terri to help injured animals, Wildlife Warriors, was unable to keep up with demand yesterday.

It continually crashed as people attempted to log on and leave messages of support and donations.

Wildlife Warriors executive manager Michael Hornby said the team was struggling to come to terms with the death of their close friend and benefactor, but the public response had been overwhelming.

"People are coming to the zoo, leaving donations, flowers, the phones are ringing off the hook, I suppose you could say it's a bit like a Lady Di moment," he said.

"Even though we all knew Steve and all knew the impact he had, we have been astounded by the response.

"So many of the staff knew him on a personal level, it's like an extended family and I think we have all just been a little bit shocked at just how huge and widespread the response has been."

Mr Hornby said no one was under any illusion of how big a hole was left by Irwin's passing.

"He did so much under the radar, without any of his fans or the media knowing, he just did so much for wildlife and habitat conservation.

"Our role is to continue his work and we have a lot of pressure on us to somehow live up to this great legacy that Steve has left.

"The best thing we can do for Steve's legacy is to continue the work that he started and continue to take it forward."

In between fielding "thousands of calls" from the media, Australia Zoo marketing manager Peter Lang was still struggling to accept the loss of his friend and boss.

"I don't think we have had time for the shock to set in," he said.

"I started fielding calls yesterday [Monday] from Channel 9 and 7 and I laughed them off, saying this was probably the best rumour we had heard in a while, because we've had a few over the years," he said.

"So I said I'd add the stingray to the list, not knowing that in less than an hour it would be confirmed and we would be in mourning.

"We gathered as a family… and it was so deathly quiet, and usually this place is so rambunctious and so full of life, something we get from Steve. But for the first time I could remember we could hear nothing but the wind and the quiet, and looking up the sky was grey and I guess that's how my heart feels."

Mr Lang said he would treasure the memory of camping out at one of the Irwin conservation sites "out west" with Steve and his father Bob, "sitting under the stars, eating pea soup and crusty bread" but it would be the family man and friend he would miss the most.

"At the end of the day when people have stopped calling, when the media has gone away and when it all goes quiet there is a beautiful woman who has lost her husband and two gorgeous darling children who have lost their dad.

"Steve has left a great footprint on the world and he has started something very special and now it is up to us to finish it for him.

"But I'm still expecting Steve to walk through the gate and say 'Crikey! Come on let's get on with it'."

- SUNSHINE COAST DAILY

bonodoggy.jpg

reposting this one because I broke the link in the earlier post.

Croc Hunter's Wife Fears For Their Kids
08/09/2006

0627341100.jpg

Tragic crocodile hunter Steve Irwin's wife is already terrified at the effect the hero's death will have on their children.

Irwin's two-and-a-half-year-old son Robert has already been wandering around sobbing "Where's Daddy?" after the wildife expert was killed when a stingray speared his heart while he was filming a TV show.

And his distraught widow Terri, 42, is terrified at having to bring up Robert and their daughter Bindi, eight, alone.

Terri's mother Julia Raines says the widow knows "it's going to be hard being the only parent".

She added: "You depend on the other person more than you realize, and she's having a hard time with that."

She added: "Robert asks, 'Where Daddy?' because he's only 2, but Bindi has been a big help to Terri. She's been her rock."

Raines, who lives in Oregon, also said that Terri "told me, 'I'm very concerned about raising the children by myself,' but I know she'll do well."

Wow, this is a bad week for the Aussies. One of their biggest car racing legends, Peter Brock, has just been killed in a rally accident.

Motorsport legend Peter Brock killed: report

5.20pm Friday September 8, 2006

Australian motorsport legend Peter Brock has been killed in a rally crash in Western Australia, Sky News has reported.

It is believed the crash occurred while Brock was taking part in the Targa West rally.

Australian Associated Press reported Brock, 61, was driving with Mick Hone in a Daytona Coupe.

The circumstances of the accident remain unclear.

Race organisers confirmed an accident had taken place and that an announcement would be made soon.

I hope this isn't a case of bad things coming in 3's.....:(

RIP Peter Perfect

Last edited:
gluey said:
Croc Hunter's Wife Fears For Their Kids
08/09/2006

0627341100.jpg

Tragic crocodile hunter Steve Irwin's wife is already terrified at the effect the hero's death will have on their children.

Irwin's two-and-a-half-year-old son Robert has already been wandering around sobbing "Where's Daddy?" after the wildife expert was killed when a stingray speared his heart while he was filming a TV show.

And his distraught widow Terri, 42, is terrified at having to bring up Robert and their daughter Bindi, eight, alone.

Terri's mother Julia Raines says the widow knows "it's going to be hard being the only parent".

She added: "You depend on the other person more than you realize, and she's having a hard time with that."

She added: "Robert asks, 'Where Daddy?' because he's only 2, but Bindi has been a big help to Terri. She's been her rock."

Raines, who lives in Oregon, also said that Terri "told me, 'I'm very concerned about raising the children by myself,' but I know she'll do well."

it's all so sad:sad: his death has really affected me deeply for some reason.

Thinking about his children makes me want to cry, I hope his little boy will have some memories of his father:( seeing he is only 2 that is doubtful:sigh:

Steve:heart:

^^ Yeah it hit me hard, I have narrowed it down to the fact my children are the same age as his, and I just look at my kids and I just about cry with the thought of anything happening to their dad.....

The family held a private family service on Saturday for Steve, and he is to be buried at the Australia Zoo which I think is perfect for him - that was his baby.....There will be a public memorial service later this month.

gluey said:
Wow, this is a bad week for the Aussies. One of their biggest car racing legends, Peter Brock, has just been killed in a rally accident.

a great australian writter died as well :( but that never got and coverage from the media

while we are talking about steve there has been a desktop going around to remember him

untitled-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom