For real or is this hogwash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
Posted in: Entertainment — PR-inside Entertainment News @ 3:35 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this story before?

U2 frontman BONO's daughter was the centre of a $8 million ($4 million) kidnap plot when she was just four years old. Five Irish criminals targeted Jordan Hewson, now 18, and staked out Bono's Dublin mansion for six months in the 1994 plot. The plan was later dropped after a veto by top gangster Martin "The General" Cahill, according to claims made by his daughter Frances in her new book.

10/06/2007

Never heard of it before.
According to The Sun the daughter of Cahill, Frances, tells the story in her book.

BONO’S daughter Jordan was the target of a £4million kidnap plot, a new book claims.

Five Irish criminals staked out the rock star’s mansion in Dublin for six months. Jordan was just four at the time of the 1994 plot.

It was dropped when top gangster Martin Cahill — “The General” — vetoed the scheme, saying: “It ISN’T going to happen.”

The claims come in a book by Cahill’s daughter Frances. He was murdered by the IRA in 1994.

His story was told in the Kevin Spacey film Ordinary Decent Criminal.

The Sun

Her book has just been launched.

Last edited:
thankyou said:
Posted in: Entertainment — PR-inside Entertainment News @ 3:35 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this story before?

U2 frontman BONO's daughter was the centre of a $8 million ($4 million) kidnap plot when she was just four years old. Five Irish criminals targeted Jordan Hewson, now 18, and staked out Bono's Dublin mansion for six months in the 1994 plot. The plan was later dropped after a veto by top gangster Martin "The General" Cahill, according to claims made by his daughter Frances in her new book.

10/06/2007

Well, I don't know about that but Neil McCormick wrote about Cahill in "Killing Bono". He interviewed him in the early 90's.

Dana

I'll believe it when I see it in the book.

This IS the Sun, after all......the most notorious tabloid in Britain.

Having said that, it never ceases to amaze me how nonchalant Bono and Ali are about their kids being photographed. Yes, it's good to get them used to celebrity, but they have to be aware of the downside as well. (Sometimes I think Larry has the right idea...esp if his oldest looks like him (wonder if he does.)

Teta040 said:
I'll believe it when I see it in the book.

This IS the Sun, after all......the most notorious tabloid in Britain.

Having said that, it never ceases to amaze me how nonchalant Bono and Ali are about their kids being photographed. Yes, it's good to get them used to celebrity, but they have to be aware of the downside as well. (Sometimes I think Larry has the right idea...esp if his oldest looks like him (wonder if he does.)

Bono's kids may be more visible but I think there is a whole lot we don't know about the security precautions that they take. After all it was reported that Bono decided against purchasing a certain large estate because it could not be walled in and security on the level he needed for his family would be impossible. Of the four I think Bono is the only one whose property is entirely fenced off. Pretty much the only times they are photographed is when they are in public with Bono and the only way to avoid that would be to never allow them to go anywhere with their dad which would be a bit unrealistic. The others don't get followed all over like Bono so it's not as hard for them to keep their kids out of sight. Also, I don't remember seeing very many pics of the girls until they were teenagers. Same with the boys, there have not really been a lot of pictures of them. I presume as they get older we will probably see more of them.

Dana

I have wondered how the boys do not appear in that many photos- especially when on holiday. Since there have only been a few of them, I thought that they must rarely go out in public together. and that would be sad. He must have a lot of security around that is not obvious, for all of his family. There are way too many insane people around in the world.
I wondered about school and if Bono ever gets to see his boys at school events(and his girls, too when they were younger).

Didn't Bono say in the 60 Minutes interview from a couple years back that he doesn't really have security around except when he's out on tour or at public events?

^ I thought he meant that just for himself... I'm not sure if it would be different for his kids. :shrug:

Mind you, it might be worth taking things Bono says with a grain of salt, anyway :wink:

U2isthebest said:
Didn't Bono say in the 60 Minutes interview from a couple years back that he doesn't really have security around except when he's out on tour or at public events?

Yes, but he was talking about for himself and he also said he takes his family's security very seriously. Also I remember Edge being very vocal about the irresponsibility of the press going on about Salmon Rushdie supposedly living at Bono's house when in reality he only visited a couple of times. Edge was really dressing them down over them endangering Bono's family with those stories. They have enough money to afford very high quality security and the best security would be not necessarily be obvious bodyguards and such. In reality I actually see very little actual information about Bono's kids on the internet other than the odd public photo or two. We don't see info on what school's they attend or see photos of their daily life, and what is out there is not all that much really. And while Bono is generally ok about fans hanging around outside the studio or hotels and such he really is not comfortable with them hanging about his house. He generally doesn't stop to talk to fans outside the house so as not to encourage that behaviour, and he had the solid gates put up to prevent people spying in through the gates.

Dana

So Is this a true story wanting to kipnap jordan and wanting to kill bono :(

I never want this to happen ever . John lennon was shot He didn't deserve to die like that. I never want it to happen to bono.

About Bono's House I love to see it but i wouldn't sit outside and wait .
I go past take a photo Keep on going just like any fans would.

I think Bono is VERY good at keeping his kids out of the public eye if the really wants to. There aren't so many pictures of them, especially his boys are "hidden" very well, which is remarkable, if you think about how famous he is. But then again, that's part of the reason he and Ali chose to live in Ireland, because celebrity isn't such a big thing there. I am sure they do a lot of private stuff and go out in public, it's just not reported.

Just think of Bono's knighthood ceremony back in March. All of his children were there and there was NOT ONE SINGLE picture shown of them, only Bono and Ali.

So yes, he is protecting them. Most media don't even know his kids when they see them.

bella88 said:
About Bono's House I love to see it but i wouldn't sit outside and wait .
I go past take a photo Keep on going just like any fans would.

There is a bench across the street from his house, someone told me fans sometimes sleep on it all day waiting for him to come out :huh:

Horrible thing to happen if the plans were true and went ahead :|

rihannsu said:
In reality I actually see very little actual information about Bono's kids on the internet other than the odd public photo or two. We don't see info on what school's they attend or see photos of their daily life, and what is out there is not all that much really.
Exactly. Think about how much worse it could be. I remember hearing a few weeks ago that the paparazzi were outside of Angelina Jolie's son's school every single day, taking pictures of her bringing him in in the morning. That makes me sick :|

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the kids have some self-defense training. Nor would I be surprised if the dogs you see around his house are trained security dogs - the kind that are really nice until you do something stupid, at which point they eat you. I worked with some who were the nicest dogs, ever - you could bathe them, clip their nails, clean their ears, pick them up, do whatever you wanted to them; and yet, when they're in training, they were nifty with their teeth. I mean, these dogs would swing off their trainer by the teeth and not let go no matter what you did. The youngest was about six months, and couldn't have weighed more than fifty pounds, but could take down the 6'4", 200 pound trainer without batting an eyelash. Sweet puppy, I just wouldn't recomend breaking into the vet clinic where he lives. It'll cost you.

They probably do have some pretty subtle security around somewhere - the best security is the security you don't see until it's needed.

last unicorn said:

So yes, he is protecting them. Most media don't even know his kids when they see them.

As evidenced by the whole Penelope Cruz bullshit earlier in the summer. I could understand the tabloids deliberately ignoring the fact that his kids were there but the regular media that tentatively picked up on the story missed it as well so it just goes to show that his kids are not as identifiable as we may think.

Dana

rihannsu said:

As evidenced by the whole Penelope Cruz bullshit earlier in the summer. I could understand the tabloids deliberately ignoring the fact that his kids were there but the regular media that tentatively picked up on the story missed it as well so it just goes to show that his kids are not as identifiable as we may think.

Dana

Not just that, but in the video clip with Helena Christenson, they didn't even realize that Bono's wife Ali, was standing right next to her. They don't even always know who she is.

Hinder said:
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the kids have some self-defense training. Nor would I be surprised if the dogs you see around his house are trained security dogs - the kind that are really nice until you do something stupid, at which point they eat you. I worked with some who were the nicest dogs, ever - you could bathe them, clip their nails, clean their ears, pick them up, do whatever you wanted to them; and yet, when they're in training, they were nifty with their teeth. I mean, these dogs would swing off their trainer by the teeth and not let go no matter what you did. The youngest was about six months, and couldn't have weighed more than fifty pounds, but could take down the 6'4", 200 pound trainer without batting an eyelash. Sweet puppy, I just wouldn't recomend breaking into the vet clinic where he lives. It'll cost you.

Yeah, in some pics of his home there have been some German Shepherds lounging around (though you could tell from the pictures they were German high-lines type dogs, not DDR/Czech lines typically used for estate protection, but still a powerful visual deterrence even with no training). Someone also once posted a more recent pic with two dogs that look like Canaan Dogs, quite primitive dogs known for their keen watchdog abilities. Estate dogs (primarily German Shepherds, Malinois, and Dutch Shepherds) are extremely valuable dogs and cost about $65,000 each. Their training is WAY above and beyond the "protection" training that many dog owners do for sport (namely Schutzhund). I would not be surprised to find such dogs on Bono's property. (And as an aside, the reason why these dogs are great protection dogs is not because of their bite or aggression, but their drive, which is expertly bred and selected for genetically. They are training from 2 months of age to bite and retrieve the bite sleeve, so their attacks and bites have nothing to do with any aggressive tendencies. The dog NEVER EVER gets to decide when to bite.)

waynetravis said:

There is a bench across the street from his house, someone told me fans sometimes sleep on it all day waiting for him to come out :huh:

Horrible thing to happen if the plans were true and went ahead :|

A Irish man i chatted to a while ago told me How fans camp outside his house and bono has come out and chatted to them.

Don't know how long ago he was talking about i didn't ask.

I'm glad it didn't happen Why kill bono :( Bono hasn't done any harm to anyone.

^ What people consider 'harmful' varies wildly, I've learned.

Lies - I totally want to get into that kind of protection training, because I think it's the coolest. The dog doesn't go after people it shouldn't, so no real danger to small kids and other pets. That's the kind of training I can really get into. It's hard to tell people the difference between 'attack' dogs and protection dogs, though. They don't get the point that a real protection dog doesn't attack everything it sees, /only/ on command or after a break in.

Hinder said:

Lies - I totally want to get into that kind of protection training, because I think it's the coolest. The dog doesn't go after people it shouldn't, so no real danger to small kids and other pets. That's the kind of training I can really get into. It's hard to tell people the difference between 'attack' dogs and protection dogs, though. They don't get the point that a real protection dog doesn't attack everything it sees, /only/ on command or after a break in.

Exactly. Most people who are not into dogs (specifically German and Belgian breeds) don't realize how these dogs are trained. It is NOT aggression. Aggressive dogs are culled (put to sleep to prevent that trait from carrying on). They start by picking a "drivey" dog, a puppy that REALLY likes to tug and will hang on even when suspended off the ground. I went to a SchH demo once where they took an 8 week old Dutch Shepherd puppy, gave her one of those toys like a cat toy with a sock on a string, got her going for it, and then the trainer had her dangling in the air from the sock and pretended to hit her while yelling and the pup didn't flinch. THAT is how they select their dogs, the ones that are obsessed with tugging. From that they are taught to tug at the bite sleeve. When they are first training, the reward for a good hit IS the sleeve (they get to pull it off the decoy and run around with it, just like how we play tug-of-war with our pet dogs and let them chew on their tug rope). The dogs aren't driving b/c they want to BITE, they drive b/c they want that SLEEVE!!

True protection dogs are different than SchH dogs (SchH is a far more common dog sport that, IMO does not constitute actual protection work or police training, but is a great foundation for drivey dogs). Protection dogs must be trained to discriminate between which arms hold/carry weapons (SchH dogs simply go for the sleeve). Protection dogs must also be able to knock over and hold a suspect with the force of their body, not just the bite. In both SchH and protection work, the decoy (the decoy is the person being charged) MUST be able to greet the handler and pet the dog after the attack. You can see the dogs are happily panting and like being petted, they are not aggressive at all, even after having charged and "bitten" the decoy's sleeve.

Estate dogs are several levels above SchH and protection dogs. I don't know much their training other than it takes years and just based on the drive and smarts required, plus all the man-hours that go into training, the dogs are tens of thousands of dollars and can be worth every penny. So far, I've only found one website that advertises what I would consider legitimate personal protection and estate dogs (I'll have to look for the link). Last night I googled Estate Dogs and all of the sites I checked were just well-bred German Shepherds with SchH titles - NOT personal protection or estate dogs, sorry.

Anyway, since we share this common interest, here are some of my favorite YouTube videos....

Near-perfect SchH heeling pattern (shows that the "heel/Fuss" position in SchH is slightly forward than that in all-breed competitive obedience and rally-o):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkO_VZPHLDk

Young GSD/Mal mix practicing protection. He has some work to do (there are obvious mistakes), but I like this vid b/c they are using positive training methods and the dog is being taught to hit the arm carrying the weapon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaCv4Njcnk

GSD using his body, not his mouth/bite to subdue and hold a decoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmaNTn_lkz8

And what most people don't realize, most of the work is "bark and hold" (the dog does NOT bite, just holds the subject). This is a young dog that needs a lot of refinement in his training, but you can see how he gets the sleeve for doing a good job:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNq3NG58ck

I'm going to the local SchH club hopefully soon (I met someone else that also wants to join). My current dog does not have the right temperament for this sport, but we are going to go check it out and if I enjoy it, I will keep it in mind if/when I buy a puppy.

Sorry for getting off-topic! These dogs deserve their own thread I suppose....

Hinder said:
^ What people consider 'harmful' varies wildly, I've learned.

It does sound cool.

I do worry this become the new fashion for dogs though. It would just encourage people become more interested in the protection dog.

German Shepherd is already banned from major cities in my country, some cities even banned husky as well (which is completely ridiculous to me, since I'm a huge husky fan...the good part is people is trying to lift the husky ban. However, for German Shepherd, this breed is the no.1 on the black list). But people still trying to get the dogs in private and some of the owner would send their dogs to the specific training center to do similar trainings. As a result, the local authority is doing EVERYTHING to get rid of these dogs from the city.

Believe me, your guys don't want to know what the EVERYTHING really means.

*Sigh*

butter7 said:

It does sound cool.

I do worry this become the new fashion for dogs though. It would just encourage people become more interested in the protection dog.

Most people cannot afford a protection/estate dog (I know I sure can't! I can't afford the dog OR the training) and most people would not know where to get one or import one (Czech German Shepherds are the best, not German ones, lol). Right now, the "fashion" for dogs is poorly bred "designer" mutts like Cockapoos, Labradoodles, etc - toy dogs mixed with other dogs by people that have no idea what they are doing as far as genetics and titles selling mutts for thousands of dollars.

German Shepherds are actually not that great for estate protection. They are herding dogs with keen noses and are called "velcro" dogs because they often suffer mentally and physically if kept outside on their own. The breed standard insists that they be well-rounded, family oriented dogs. There are certain lines of German Shepherds that have been developed for personal protection, but other breeds of dogs that are more reactive (Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherds) and more independent (Canaan Dogs) are inherently better for estate guarding.

The only reason people want to ban German Shepherds is because too many people are buying them from backyard breeders and puppy mills who do not pay attention to temperament and breed for money, not for the improvement of the breed. Those dogs do NOT fit the standard for the German Shepherd, temperamentally and often physically as well (they are usually too big).

Back
Top Bottom