Faces of the Fallen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teenie

Acrobat
A timely piece about a fallen soldier who was a fan of the band..

:: TheSouthern.com - Southern Illinois' Homepage ::

They are stark reminders that war is not without its consequences. Southern Illinois soldiers have paid the ultimate price in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, just the same as many others across the nation. Their stories continue to remind us of everyday heroism.

Todd Bracy of Murphysboro

BY LINDA RUSH

Todd Bracy grew up in a military family that was used to frequent moves, deployments, anxiety. But his parents, Ronald and Judith, still weren't prepared for the news that Todd, 34, had been killed March 31, 2005, in a plane crash in Albania.

"He was a son who was really a blessing to us," retired Lt. Col. Ronald L. Bracy said, his voice breaking. "We were very close. His death was a pretty hard thing to take."

Ron Bracy served 10 years in the Air Force, then in the reserves while serving as a minister. Todd attended Murphysboro High School, graduating in 1988, while his father was pastor of Elm Street Baptist Church there.

Like his father, Todd graduated from a military college. He also took aviation classes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. He entered the Air Force in 1992 and graduated from officer's training school in 1997.

Judith Bracy said "He loved what he did." She recalled making Todd's clothes when he was about 9. "I made him a shirt that said 'I'd rather be flying.' He loved God, loved his family, loved flying and loved his country," she said. "He loved helping people out."

Both father and son served in special operations units; both often were deployed to hot spots around the world. Ron wasn't allowed to tell his wife where he was headed, but when he came back from a mission, he'd bring Judith a Coke bottle from that country. Todd adopted the tradition, bringing home the green-glass bottles from overseas for his wife, Tina, who grew up in Springfield.

For three years, Ron and Todd served in the same unit in Springfield. Ron recalls spending three weeks working side by side with his son during the flood of 1993, sandbagging along the swollen Illinois River. "It was a very special time for us," he said.

Todd's sister, Tonya Wood, said suddenly "becoming an only child" was difficult for her. Todd loved flying and loved helping others, she said. She was told that, while evacuating Americans from an African country, Todd's cockpit microphone was left on. The whole group heard him exclaiming, "This is so cool - this is so freaking cool."

News of Todd's death came while Tonya's oldest son, Thaddeus, was in final training for deployment to the Middle East. He left right until the funeral, she said. Now 22, he's still in the service. She home schools her other sons, 13 and 11. The 13-year-old, she said, wants to be a pilot. She accepts his choice. "We were raised military," she said simply. "It's an honorable profession."

Todd and Tina Bracy were based in England at the time of Todd's death. When the elder Bracys went to England for a memorial service, his buddies told them about two occasions where his actions saved the lives of his crew and plane after being hit by enemy fire, Ron said.

Between April 1 and Aug. 7 of 2005, the family attended four memorial services, two in England and two in Arlington National Cemetery, where Todd was buried. And in between the first and second service at Arlington, the elder Bracys helped Tina move to San Antonio. Then, at Tina's request, they packed up and moved themselves to San Antonio to help raise their granddaughters, now 4 and 7.

"We unloaded the trucks, then left two days later for the second funeral," Ron said.

They don't consider it a sacrifice.

"I'm privileged to be here with my grandchildren," Judith said, "and to do whatever I can do. Tina asked us to come here and help keep his memories alive. "

And five months ago, Tonya and David Wood relocated their family from Murphysboro to Texas; they're an hour and a half away from the Bracys now.

Judith is a member of the Gold Star Mothers and attends Illinois gatherings. It helps, she said, to be with others who share a similar loss.

"We need a Gold Star Fathers group," Ron mused. "Fathers grieve, too."

His son's favorite music group was U2, he recalled; when asked what he wanted for Christmas or birthdays, Todd always replied with the name of a U2 song, "Peace on Earth."

linda.rush@thesouthern.com / 351-5079

What a beautiful article and tribute for Memorial day....

My step son Adam is being deployed to Iraq on June 14, one day after his 21st birthday. He joined not even a year ago so he could have a medical career. He is trained as a medic right now. Keep him in your prayers please.

What a beautiful article and tribute for Memorial day....

My step son Adam is being deployed to Iraq on June 14, one day after his 21st birthday. He joined not even a year ago so he could have a medical career. He is trained as a medic right now. Keep him in your prayers please.

Oh wow Dion, how frightening that must be! Such a young guy.
Hopefully this horrible war will come to end soon and all the soldiers will come home safe and sound before you know it.
God Bless you and your family during this stressful time.
:pray:

Back
Top Bottom