Exit in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
I hope they don't mind that I'm posting this. But it is an incredible story.

23 oct '03

we got in from belfast yesterday and went to hang out at the studio. we saw food delivered, we saw business people arrive for a meeting. we saw lights on the top floor and shadows moving about. finally a engineer passed from one outside door to another and we asked him if the band were in. he said yes, but that they would be really late, after midnight. it was only about 7 at that point, so we headed to dockers. it was also really, really cold. the taxi driver who took us from the train station to the hostel told us it had gone down to 2 degrees, and we'd missed the most fantastic thunder storm. i even saw snow on three rock mountain. we were kinda disappointed we missed it and someone must've heard us, cos when we emerged from dockers a few hours later (after watching the manchester united/france game) a storm had kicked up. dave headed back to the hostel (he wasn't feeling well) and susan and i headed the opposite direction, soaked within minutes. but we were walking fast and warm because of it, so we checked out what was happening at hanover. we saw lights, we saw shadows in the windows, and danced to keep ourselves warm. it wasn't long before sam poked his head out the upstairs door to tell us that the band were going to be really late, and we were stupid to hang in that weather (on top of it being late in not-a-great area). so we danced a bit more before thinking maybe he was right, that we should come back tomorrow like he said. we were supposed to be heading to galway, but it had really sunk in that they would indeed be going in tomorrow and we could indeed see them. so dave, really wanting to see the cliffs of moher, went off this morning alone. i did too, but they will be there.. and the studio will not.

we got over there about 1pm (after i took my camera to a shop to be fixed. can you believe it crapped out on me?) and things were already happening. more businessmen, more food being delivered, then believe it or not, dallas, walking out of the main door to the little white door beside it where shane and i sat last year. he took two guitars out, and then sam came out with another two. two of them seemed to be basses, and one of the guitar cases was a really funky shape. so dallas disappeared into that little room for a bit, but not before giving us (and the two italian girls there with us) a wave. i love that guy. so when he came out (without the guitars) susan and i sauntered closer. we said hi, and he walked over and asked how we were. he shook our hands, asked our names. i told him we'd met, that i was on stage in LA and in the band exit. he totally remembered. then, out of nowhere, he said, "so, are you big edge fans?" "oh yeah" i said, and susan was like (jokingly) "a little bit." he reached into his back pocket (?) and said, "i thought you might like this" and pressed a guitar strap into her hand. he told us it's an old one edge doesn't use anymore, but it was used on the elevation tour. i stared in shock and he started to walk away (it was freezing and he had on but a t-shirt) and i managed, "for which guitar?" "blackie.. he calls it blackie." must be of the strats. i must find a picture. the strap is turquoise with gold chinese dragon designs on it. it's beautiful. and very, very worn. and smells like leather. and edge's sweat is in it. and he wore it. every night. and played guitar. with it on. and now it's in susan's suitcase. instead of edge's guitar case. um.

so we squealed and danced about. and it wasn't too long until the garage opened. a black mercedes pulled in, larry's silhouette in the window. five or ten minutes later, a silver mercedes. we walked a bit closer to the car and waved. adam waved back, and he backed into the garage. we waited more. sam poked his head out once or twice, looking up and down the street. it was probably at least a quarter past two, bono and edge were late. then a black audi appeared, and we got even closer than before and waved. edge in the drivers seat, beanie-less, waving. bono in the passenger seat, looking at us, just looking. they went in and susan then kept saying, "they're all in there. they're all in there."

maybe five minutes after that, the door opened. and there was adam. susan screamed quietly. he was dressed in black and grey, extremely neat and clean looking. his hair was a light colour (but not grey), he had on no glasses, his eyes a deep, deep blue. the first thing i noticed when he spoke is that he was wearing braces - clear ones. interesting. he asked our names, shook our hands, asked how long we're here for and if we'd been over before. i asked how the music was coming and he didn't go into detail, just said it was going well. he signed stuff for the two girls, and susan told him about exit. he seemed remotely interested, but not like he wanted to engage in much conversation. i was staring at his ring, his bracelets, and smelling his cologne. it was a strong, soapy smell, very clean. at first i was a bit repelled by it actually, until i realised i was smelling adam. and my hand smelled like it for hours and hours after i shook his. so we got a pic with him, his arms around susan and i. his shirt was damn soft. we said thanks, he said good luck, and walked back in.

we all smiled and shook our heads for a bit, and wondered how much more lucky we could get. heh.

about ten minutes after that (.. actually, these intervals could've been anywhere from 2-15 minutes.. i really have no clue.) the door opened again and it was bono. he stood in the doorway and motioned for us to come over, checking first to make sure there were no cars coming. so we walked over and the first thing he did was reach for my hand to kiss it. i gasped slightly, his hands so warm and mine cold, being touched by those lips once again. then susan, then the other girls. "i'm in a hand kissing frame of mind." he was wearing big blue glasses, but i could clearly see the colour of his eyes. he was quite scruffy, actually on the verge of a beard. it was grey and white speckled. his hair light reddish, and thinning on top and in the back. i looked at the hair on his hands, his thumbnail. his jacket was to his knees, a black soft thing with embroidered letters on the left sleeve, and a celtic looking design on the back. his pants were black and split at the bottom, the buttons were open and there were bits of green in places. he looked amazing.
he signed books for the girls, and asked their names, repeating them as he signed. a worker across the street ran over with a book and asked for an autograph for himself. "that is not a problem, he said graciously, looking the kid directly in the eye. he radiated that familiar calm. i don't think it's possible for him not to. a few big trucks went by, construction trucks. he told us to watch out, and said "how ya doin" to each driver. "oh look at this" he said when one with a big fork-scoopy truck came by. he had us step further inside, just inside the door. susan realised she should get an autograph too. she asked him in kind of a funny way, since there were people walking by behind him and giving him the eye. he obviously was wanted upstairs. she asked something like, "if you have a second and you're not too busy, could you sign this for me?" and he just looked at her like, 'oh come on. of course.' he asked her name. "affa. a-f-f-a." "a flower for affa", and he moved the pen swiftly across the page. i think the man likes drawing flowers. he handed her book back to her and ran his hand down her left arm. "nice jacket." he looked at me. "could we get a picture?" i asked. "we've met before." "yes..." i stumbled, a bit shocked. "we have." he opened his arms and susan and i slipped under them. (he's short.) snap. "what do you remember?" "i don't.. i just remember faces." then to susan, "we've met before too, haven't we?" "no, actually this is the first time we've met." so i said, "i was on stage in LA.. i played guitar..." for a split second i could see his eyes change as he searched his memory. "WOW!" he exclaimed. i could sense this abundance of energy. he moved in a funny way, back in surprise, forward to connect with me again. i think he touched my back, i might've touched his too. "you remember?" "i do." then the funniest thing, "was it alright?" what a question. i said of course it was, it was the most amazing night of my life. "thank you for that" and i touched his hand. he went on to explain how he can sometimes get out of control, that it can be that he doesn't even know what he's doing. i don't know why i said it, but i think i was still trying to say why it was so great. "you sang my name... it's courtney by the way..." suse said, "you insulted her!" and i added "yeah, something about guitar players.." "that they're unreliable?" he mused. "you asked me to sing, and i wouldn't." he talked about how many times he's brought up guitar players who can't play, and how when he realised i could that he got excited and wanted me to sing too, to take it further. "you know your limitations. i don't know mine." i couldn't help but add, "that's probably why you are where you are." a woman with chin-length grey hair told bono 'someone was on the line'. he seemed so torn, rushing, but that he truly wanted to spend another few minutes with us. i don't know of anyone as genuine and loving to so many people. so generous. he turned around, turned back and sorta stuttered, "i'd love to show you the studio quickly. .... come on." he ducked into the hall to the left, and i stared after him a half second before i followed. there were people milling everywhere, probably all on the job of getting the man upstairs. they kinda had looks on their faces like, 'there he goes again.' i looked very quickly at the wood staircase just in front of us then turned down the short white hall. i saw his black coat disappear into a room on the right. we walked in and waited while he was on the phone. i stared at the white couches. i stared at the big photo from '83 on the table, scruffy mountain-man adam, mullet bono.. a note on it saying something about paul requesting it, and another note saying, "do not sign photo." i stared at the acoustic from the sweetest thing video in a stand across the room. bono was talking about the meeting, how he didn't know how late it would go, that they were just about to start. i looked out the window and nearly gasped. the sun was shining off the canal so brightly and beautifully and the blinds were all the way up. i don't know how many videos i've seen of that sight, but having it before me was all too surreal. there was a random guy in the room, smiling at us. then bono led us to the room next door. we walked into the recording area. the first thing i saw were the drums and the glass barrier around them. bono became tour guide and mentioned that most people say 'this is it?' cos of the size, but that they're a garage band and it suits them. "this is where we recorded the last album." i'm not sure if he said anything else, because i started to kinda freak out. there was so much stuff in there there was no way i could see it all. the room was pretty small, and very cluttered. i looked on the floor to my left and there was an AC30.. seemingly very new looking. there was a white guitar with gold trim around it, another guitar on the other side of the amp. mics. i looked thru the glass window into the other room, the bigger room. i saw the longest line of guitars i'd ever seen. the mixing desk. the pillars. just... stuff, everywhere. i had my hand over my mouth, i was shaking, there were tears in my eyes. i think at that moment i actually understood why people cry when they meet bono - it's that everything they feel about the music is represented thru him.. i think for me that feeling comes from the instruments, the equipment they use to channel what that is in them. susan saw a few more things i did not: adam's basses, and a large notebook with chord progressions written on it. i really wished i would've seen that, i could've noted the chords and found out later which song it was. bono was silent a moment as well, maybe looking at it all thru our eyes. i think at that point he said something about having to get to work, and we turned to leave. "this is our dream, by the way" i said. back thru the white hall, looking at the elvis plaque on the wall. "see you down the road, courtney." he said, and put his hand on my back before he ran up the stairs. we all managed a "thank you!" and we drifted out, feet not touching the ground. we walked across the street, just staring at each other in disbelief. i always said the next step on my list of U2 related things to accomplish would be getting in studio. i think that i now need to state the next thing is to open for them.

24 oct '03

this is so cheesy, but i just have to do it:

cover charge for lillie's bordello: ?12
red bull and vodka: ?9.90
coat check: ?2 per coat
making gavin friday smile: priceless

susan and i went to lillie's last night to check it out. quite a posh club, the majority of the people (and even the different areas inside) being members only. we stood there feeling quite out of place, looking at the dark red decor and drinking our expensive drinks. i kept one eye on the door, hoping bono might saunter in for a drink after work. (he'll probably go tonight instead, heh.) did not see him, but at some point susan looked into the members only area behind us (divided just by a barrier/bar) and said to me, "what does gavin friday's hair look like now?" i looked over at the corner the man was sitting in and just said, "like that." a moment later he turned his head away from his friend and we saw his profile. yeeeeeep, that would be gavin alright. he sat there with his mate and drank, occasionally running his left hand very quickly down the bottom of his hair, close to his neck. i wondered out loud to susan whether he picked that up from bono or whether it was the other way around. he was only there maybe a half hour, and when he stood up from the table and headed toward the doorway, i moved so i would pass him walking. he came down the stairs and i touched his upper arm, trying to get his attention. i must've really startled him, he moved back away from me and somehow didn't immediately realise i was trying to talk to him. i just said, "love your music. cheers." i felt kinda like a fool cos he obviously was a bit taken aback that someone was talking to him, or touching him or whatever.... but susan said as he walked away he had the hugest grin on his face. yeah, baby.

this morning we decided to head back to the studio, in hopes of seeing edge. susan had forgotten to bring the pics she took of him and daniel lanois in june, and she wanted to give him the copies she made. the italian girls we were hanging with the day before were there again with the same hopes we had. not too much time later, a guy showed up, and then three blonde chicks. all of them were american and stayed over to the side away from us. being so used to the way people interact over here, that was not something i wanted to familiarise myself with again. they ignored us, so we ignored them. 2pm came and went, and i kept thinking that i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't coming in at all, maybe taking friday off. plus how could we be so lucky two days in a row? around 2:30 we took a walk over to the locks. the sun was out and tho it was cold, it was so gorgeous. i fucking want my camera. i hope they can fix it, and soon. so we hung round there for maybe 15 minutes, and headed back. just as we were approaching, we saw the group of people move quickly from across the road at the bench over to the door of the studio. we started running, susan saying, "i think it's adam.." we got a bit closer and realised no, it was bono.
we ran up and joined the circle. the rest of the people got autographs, some pics. it was on girls birthday and she was like, "you're my present." the dude had bono sign his boy cd, but it had the original cover. bono felt the need to say it has a different cover in america. the guy opened his mouth and in our flat, ugly accent he said, "yeah, the four silhouettes." bono looked a little pleased that he knew, and asked him, "where did you get this? here?" for some reason my brain circled that "here?" and has now stored it forever. i'm not sure what it was.. probably a little bit cos of his accent, but maybe also the fact that he said 'here' and meant dublin and i was standing with bono in his home town. as he spoke to the girls and took pics, i looked at his jacket again. that thing is spectacular. i never thought i could think so of a coat. anyway, i know he had noticed us and recognised us, but it wasn't til then that he turned to us. i noticed his shirt, a tan army-ish thing, and he was wearing matching light brown glasses. susan handed him the pictures, explaining that we saw edge play with daniel lanois and we'd like to give him the pics. he opened the flap of paper and glanced thru them quickly. "they're not the greatest..." susan started, but he had already made an appreciative noise and then sorta mumbled, "no, no..." because... well, cos they're cool. he said, "he's playing a show here next week.." susan: "yeah, we're going." me: "yeah, we've got tickets." he looked at me and with a sly grin he said, "are you going to get up and play with him, courtney?" i cracked up. "yeah, i'll hold up a sign..."
let's pause for a moment, shall we? pause and just think about how brilliantly amazing that is that he would say such a thing. no prompting, no nothing. i love him.
right then. "have you heard his new album?" susan said yes, nodded with wide eyes. bono made a breathy noise and wore and an expression clearly meaning he thinks it is incredible. "he's amazing" i said. susan told him, "that's actually the reason we're over here right now" (meaning at this particular time of year.) i think he actually said, "good for you." (which amuses me.) it was at this point i could feel his energy change; he knew he had to get to work. he started to hand the pics back then said, "you just want me to give them to him?" susan: "yeah." me, quietly: "if he can't come out.." he moved back a bit, saying, "i have to go.." but i knew susan had something else to say and i reached out my hand.. "oh.. bono..." he looked at me with the most caring look on his face, and took my first few fingers in his. such a gentle gesture, so sweet. such a soft look in his eyes. i looked at susan, waiting for her to start talking. "bono, i just got an email from jim henke, he wanted me to say hi to you, to all of you." he looked her directly in the eye. "have you gotten the new john lennon book?" "no.. i?ve been meaning to, but i haven?t gotten it yet." bono said that it?s really good, that there was a lot of insight put into it. he started to back away, and then aid, "alright, i?ve got to go, sorry..." he closed the door.

seeing him, talking to him is too normal. i find it hard to connect each part of him that i know of while standing next to him. i find it hard to connect much thought, actually. we probably won't be going back. maybe next week, just to see what's going on, to see if we can hear anything. and if i get my camera, to take some pics before the whole place is demolished to shit.

this... is amazing. i can't express how much. and the fact that he knows me by name. i wonder how long that will last, if it will stick... but at least i know never to doubt his memory, never to doubt that he does actually recognise me. modsavage and michele have been trying for nearly two years to convince me that it was indeed a doubletake he did the night he pulled me on stage, that he remembered my face. i can't doubt that now, there's no way.

clicky here for a picture of the strap we now have: http://cmm.250free.com/edge226.jpg

HOLY F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :faint:

That's such a great story!

Man! I really need to learn from these girls! Every time I see Gavin and have the chance to talk to him I go blank and I can't get myself to go over to him and say: Hey Gav! You are such a sex goooooooooooooood! :lol: Jk...I'd be happy just by saying: hi! love your music ( copy cat! :sexywink: )

Ohhhhhhhh that's a great story!!! Reminds me of when i went in the studio (well just at the stairway lol) My fiance was jealous of you meeting dallas...he loooooooooooves Dallas (he's the president of the dallas schoo fan club) and getting the guitar strap :drool: lucky lucky!! :D :D

Niamh_Saoirse said:
HOLY F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :faint:

That's such a great story!

Man! I really need to learn from these girls! Every time I see Gavin and have the chance to talk to him I go blank and I can't get myself to go over to him and say: Hey Gav! You are such a sex goooooooooooooood! :lol: Jk...I'd be happy just by saying: hi! love your music ( copy cat! :sexywink: )

Hey Flavia - do you reckon if we went back to the studio we'd actually have the courage to press the button outside the studio? Or do you reckon we'd just sit there for 3 hours wanting to hide again? :lol:

:bono: Wow! To meet *B-Man And get the guitar strap for lasting memories, And he knows your name-Priceless! You Go Girl-gives me hope-2! Thanks for sharing-too sad about that place going down to rubble-it means so much 2 many of us-even those that have never been there!:sad: Rock On...*

Back
Top Bottom