Ewww, my eyes, my eyes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illumination70

The Fly
When I was at work last week, I turned around a corner at the store I was handing out samples at and guess what do I see.
I'll tell ya what I saw, I saw wall to wall red, pink and white hearts, flowers and bottles of champaign.
As a woman, I feel Valentines Day tells us gals unless we have a man, we're nothing and I feel that's an old fashioned attitude.
In my opinion, us ladies owe it to ourselves to rebel by getting our own, darn box o' chocolates, flowers or treat ourselves out to dinner.
My question is how do you other singles out there plan to handle February 14TH?

just ignore it, like any other year...

valentine's day is nothing more than commercial bullshit.... sure,, it's nice to buy your love some chocolates or flowers, but it should be spontaneous! it's not about the gif, it's about the idea of giving somebody you love a gift!

Illumination70 said:
When I was at work last week, I turned around a corner at the store I was handing out samples at and guess what do I see.
I'll tell ya what I saw, I saw wall to wall red, pink and white hearts, flowers and bottles of champaign.
As a woman, I feel Valentines Day tells us gals unless we have a man, we're nothing and I feel that's an old fashioned attitude.
In my opinion, us ladies owe it to ourselves to rebel by getting our own, darn box o' chocolates, flowers or treat ourselves out to dinner.
My question is how do you other singles out there plan to handle February 14TH?

I wear all black :happy:

I agree with GG. Valentines Day is commercial bullshit, if i was in a relationship on Valentines Day i'd rather my guy not do anything special and just get a pizza and watch a U2 dvd. You should do something forsomeone coz you love them, not coz some card companany and society tells you too. :wink:

Galeongirl said:
just ignore it, like any other year...

valentine's day is nothing more than commercial bullshit.... sure,, it's nice to buy your love some chocolates or flowers, but it should be spontaneous! it's not about the gif, it's about the idea of giving somebody you love a gift!

:yes: just another excuse for candy, flowers, and card companies to cash out on us consumer whores. and like you said it puts all sorts of demands on people. which is why some idiot men decided to create their own holiday in response. http://www.steakandbjday.com/

i didn't think it was real. and then my male students last year got all excited about it. :huh:

i do give in a little, and i get cards for my friends. some of them really get upset this day, so i try to make them feel loved.

:uhoh: That's in Feb! I always thought it was in April :lmao: uh wells just another day I spose. Or maybe I should get my GF something :shifty: I hope she doesn't realise XD!

-Nikki

I ignore it too, aside from grumbling at all the pink crap everywhere.

At least chocolate usually goes on sale afterwards! :up:

I think Talk Like A Pirate Day is a more worthy event than Valentine's day.

The association of the feast of St Valentine with romantic love was all invented in the middle ages (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine ) ... I guess Hallmark just carried it further.

:tsk:

Okay...I probably shouldn't reply because I have a boyfriend...but my boyfriend hates Valentine's Day, and we don't do anything to celebrate. It's just like any other day. So...just because you have somebody doesn't mean you're gonna get flowers, chocolates, and all that jazz.

I may have to get onboard with buying myself a box of chocolates though. Any excuse for that! :giggle:

Bonochick said:
Okay...I probably shouldn't reply because I have a boyfriend...but my boyfriend hates Valentine's Day, and we don't do anything to celebrate. It's just like any other day. So...just because you have somebody doesn't mean you're gonna get flowers, chocolates, and all that jazz.

I may have to get onboard with buying myself a box of chocolates though. Any excuse for that! :giggle:

My fiance doesn't hate Valentine's Day, but can't say we've done anything super special. flowers aren't guaranteed! It's just another day, some people make a big thing of it, some don't.

I have to say that I do like going to the stores after and get some chocolate on super sale! :lol:

I have a bf but we don't celebrate Valentine's. He feels pretty strongly that it's just another Hallmark day. Tend to agree with him and having spent many of a Valentine's alone I don't see a need to start celebrating it now!

Do celebrate the 15th though since that is the anniversary of when first got together. Nice to have a day without feeling the pressure that you MUST buy stock in Hallmark because of the date.

Me and my partner dont celebrate valantines day as its our sons birthday on the 13th and our daughters birthday on the 15th so all the money goes on them two. We usually get a box of chocolates and watch films with the kids as a inbetween day.

I've never celebrated it, even when I was with someone. I agree with those who have said it's a ridiculous holiday that's been taken advantage of by companies. I appreciate flowers/cards/chocolates/whatever when they're given because the person is thinking of me and wants to say they love me - not because some stupid companies say it is the day that you should do that. :wink:

Even as a couple we ignore it. I don't need one day just to tell my husband I love him.
I don't just think of it for couples I think of it as a love day! And its a day to give love too! :heart:

I love Valentine's Day, its my favorite holiday....
A day to celebrate Love :heart:
And not just romantic love, but all types of love.
So send your friends and family some love on that day! :)

My husband has stopped celebrating but that doesn't stop me from giving him something small and a card.

(And last year I bought myself some roses to make myself happy!)

why do you need ONE day to celebrate love? Aren't you supposed to celebrate that you have one to love for like, the whole year?

Sure, love should be celebrated every day, but its not. It gets taken for granted, like everything else.

Why shouldn't love be celebrated on its own special day?

And I don't think V-day should just be about romantic love.

I don't think Valentine's Day stuff is saying you have to have a man to be happy. I think it's just a way for the stores to fill the shelves and make money between Christmas and Easter.

As soon as they take the Christmas stuff down, the Valentine's stuff goes up. Then they take it down and out come the Easter bunnies. After that they put out the summer stuff, flower bulbs, lawn care, cookout stuff.

The next thing is Halloween, with Christmas stuff coming out immediately after (it used to not come out until after Thanksgiving) So it's year round selling for one thing or another. All about the money. The holidays really have no meaning to the retailers other than the profit.

Back
Top Bottom