Ethical Couture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
06 March 2005 By Susan Mitchell
Fashion houses have an understandable horror of having their designs copied.

Not Ali Hewson, founder of Edun. In fact, you could say her mission statement is to have the concept behind her new fashion label replicated the world over.

Hewson's goal is to build a business that makes beautiful clothing in developing countries, giving sustainable employment and providing trade potential.

“We want people to rip us off,” says Hewson of her business venture. “We are really trying to establish a business model with Edun.

“We want to prove that you can make a profit, while running a business in a responsible way.”

Convention demands the inclusion of certain statistics.

Like 6 per cent - Africa's share of world trade in 1980.

And 2 per cent - Africa's percentage of world trade in 2002. And $70 billion - what an additional 1 per cent share of global trade would earn the continent each year.

Hewson believes that long-term preventative strategies represent the way forward for developing countries. She is well versed in the inequitable trading terms doled out to them, and reels off world trade statistics like a seasoned economist.

“Rich countries subsidise their own agricultural sectors by about $1 billion per day,” she says.

“They dump their excess products in international markets at artificially low prices, and make it impossible for developing countries to compete.

“The US spends about $4 billion a year subsidising American cotton farmers.

“They then flood the market with it. It's unfair. It's a false economy, and just crushes African farmers.”

As a mother of four, Hewson knows such macroeconomics are also relevant in everyday life. “I would prefer to know that the clothes I buy for my children weren't made by someone else's children,” she says.

“I want to be able to buy clothes for me and for my family, knowing that no one was exploited en route, from concept to the finished product on the rails.”

Sitting in a suite in Dublin's Clarence Hotel, the stylish 43-year-old is gearing up for the New York launch of Edun, which she dubs “more sensual than bling'‘.

With factories set to roll in Peru and Tunisia, and a third planned for Lesotho, the Edun range which is being created by American designer Rogan Gregory, will encompass everything from jeans to chiffon dresses.

“At the moment, many people in these countries can't get regular jobs, so that is our starting point,” Hewson says. “People won't be paid below the minimum wag e, and we will be committed to helping local communities.

“We want to encourage as much employment as possible, so we're open to passing on information to anyone who wants it. And if people want to use our factories they are more than welcome.

“We are trying to do something. We are not going to get everything right. We're not 100 per cent organic. It's just not possible at the moment, as you can't dye jeans with natural dyes, for example. They just don't take.

“There are compromises you have to make - but the one thing we won't compromise on is how people are treated.”

Despite being married to one of the most famous men on the planet, U2 lead singer Bono, Hewson usually shuns the limelight. Hello-style spreads are a no-go.

She is better known for her environmental campaigning and patronage of the Chernobyl Children's Project than for any celebrity high jinks.

Neither does Hewson fit the stereotype rock star wife mould. Moved by news images of the famine in Ethiopia in the 1980s, she spent five weeks working on a famine relief project in 1985.

While U2 were promoting their Joshua Tree album in 1987, and being hailed as the most successful band in the world, Hewson was studying social science at University College Dublin (UCD).

She gave birth to their first child, Jordan, two weeks before her finals. The couple have since had another three children: Eve, Elijah and John Abraham.

Hewson remains a patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project, which is headed by Adi Roche. “That is my corner,” she says.

“I have seen children born with deformities and dying in orphanages. Children who have had their thyroid glands removed and will need to take medicine for the rest of their lives - if they can get it.

“I will never forget those images.”

She presented an award-winning documentary on the devastating aftermath of the disaster. Hewson and Roche have been credited with ensuring that Ireland is the largest donor of aid to Belarus.

“I have a big commitment to the children, and also to Adi. She is an incredible woman. What I love about her is that she works so hard to ensure that as much money as possible ends up in Belarus,’' Hewson says.

Hewson's experience at Belarus increased her awareness of the dangers of the nuclear power plants closer to home, the Sellafield and Thorp reactors.

In 2002, she fronted a campaign for Greenpeace in which 1.5 million postcards featuring an anti-Sellafield message were sent from Irish households to the British prime minister, the Prince of Wales and the head of British Nuclear Fuels.

Hewson says that concerns over her children's welfare compelled her to act on Sellafield. “I started to wonder how safe it was for them to play on the beach, or to swim in the sea, or even to eat fish.

“They have promised they will stop processing waste there by 2012.We're hoping that they will stick to that.”

Not surprisingly, Hewson is inundated by requests from charities seeking representation from a star with clout.

“There are so many great charities out there, but if you stretch yourself too far, you become ineffectual. You end up helping nobody, and just frustrate everyone.

“When I read about the work various charities are doing, I often think that I could do something to help, but you just have to hope that someone else will run with it,” she says. Of course, Hewson is not the only person in her household with charitable and social aims, and she has been credited as having a huge influence on her husband's political outlook.

Bono has devoted a huge amount of time to Jubilee 2000, a campaign that lobbies western governments to cancel the debts of Third-World nations.

As other celebrity marriages fall by the wayside, the remarkable strength of Hewson's marriage is a talking point.

The two met at Mount Temple interdenominational school in north Dublin, and married when they were both 22 years old, with Adam Clayton as best man.

“I'm lucky I have an extraordinary friend that I've been married to for a long time, seems like [since] we were kids,” Bono said in a recent interview.

“We have definitely been on the journey together,” says Hewson. “But we have been influenced as much by outside factors as we have been by each other. We grew up in an era when images of people starving were on TV screens. That makes a real impression on you at any age.

“Bono and I share a passion for seeing trade replace aid and justice replace charity. Charity is about sticking your arm in a hole in the dam, when really the dam just needs to be rebuilt.

“Charities highlight the areas that governments often ignore - but governments need to do more. We should be trying to improve the quality of life for those in other countries.”

Bono's tireless work for debt relief secured him a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. What was the reaction to the news was like at home? “It's his third time.

“He's just normally much further down the list,” she jokes. “Ah no, we're delighted. It's obviously a great honour.”

Given the phenomenal success of U2, you don't need to be a sceptic to wonder how the Hewsons reconcile their huge personal wealth with their social conscience.

“I think many people who live in the west can ask themselves that question,” Hewson says. “Two-thirds of the world live with less than a third of the wealth.

“It's not really a question of scale. We are talking about people living on less than $2 a day. Bono and I have always had a conscience about that, and our privilege has been our ability to highlight it.

“Of course there's a difficulty in equating the two, but you have to live your life. If Bono didn't have the financial resources, he wouldn't have been able to do half of what he has done.”

Contrary to past media reports, one of which touted her for the presidency of this country, Hewson says she has never been approached to run for any type of political office.

“I was never approached. I'm interested in Irish politics, but I am not interested in working in politics,” she says.

“Would that mean Bono would have to give up his day job? I'm not sure I'd get him to walk a few steps behind me.

“I have four kids, and it's very full-on.

“There are a lot of people out there who could do a better job than I could.”

And Bono?

“I don't really know. He's a work in progress,’' Hewson says. “When I first met him at school, I never thought we'd be here, so God knows where we'll end up in 10 years' time.

“At the moment, he is looking after the day job. That's what gives him the platform to go and look after his other interests.”

Unlike many celebrities, Hewson and Bono have largely kept their private lives well away from the tabloids. Famous for being talented, as opposed to famous for being famous, they don't have to rely on Big Brother to remind the public that they exist.

“I've always maintained that someone has to be able to go and buy the milk. I can do the ordinary stuff, and that has been a real positive for us,” says Hewson.

“Celebrity marriages are hard enough, but when both people are in the limelight it can be difficult. I don't know how they do it.

“The press are good to us here. The press aren't always as kind in other countries.

“The children have been able to grow up in a normal way, which is great. If that changed, we'd have to think of some sort of alternative, as it's just not fair.”

Hewson is a sincere and warm interviewee. She is happy to discuss her children and family life, but is determined that anything related to them remains off the record.

The long periods of separation from her husband can be difficult, she admits. “It can be really difficult to adjust to him being away. It can be difficult for him to readjust too.

“Bono always says that he feels like a bit of litter around the house, that I just want to tidy him away, when he comes back. But apart from practical adjustments like that, I usually find that we are much closer. You don't take each other for granted, like you do if you see each other every day. There is always something new to talk about.”

She and the children are preparing to move to the US for two months while U2 tour America.

“It has become a bit of a military operation,” she says. “I do sometimes become confused about who is due where and when. The kids are well-balanced, but if I thought for a minute that the children were suffering, I'd be worried and something would have to give.

“For me, the most important job I have is that of being a mother. That's the role I really don't want to fail at.”

The Edun range is due to hit the shelves later this month. It will be stocked at Brown Thomas in Ireland, and at selected department stores around the world.

Hewson, Bono and Edun chief executive Richard Cervera are the main shareholders.

And as the clothing line enters the shops, Bono appears happy to let his wife take centre stage.

“I think she has sacrificed more than I have, so I'm trying to balance that now,” he said in a recent interview. “It may be one of the biggest brands in the next few years, so watch out.”

Whatever the reaction to of the brand, Hewson's goal is an altruistic one. “I don't want to end my life feeling I've only looked after myself, that everything I did was to protect myself.

But she is not relying on altruism to secure Edun's success. “We want these clothes to sell on their own merit, because they are beautiful and well-made. At the end of the day, people want to look well - but where you spend your money says a lot about you.”

The revolution, she says, is all about how you shop.

alihewson.jpg

How the frick are she and Bono so well versed in all this economics talk? Geez, if they're that good with math, where were they when I was taking all my math classes in school, LOL.

Seriously, great article-Ali is such a smart woman. Definitely hold lots of admiration for her.

Angela

Another one from http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=232492005

Sit back and enjoy a nice life? Can't do it

LIZ JONES

I’M HAVING LUNCH with Ali Hewson, the wife of Bono, lead singer of U2, at the Clarence Hotel in Dublin, partly owned by her husband. Their oldest daughter, Jordan, turns up. At 15, she is already a beauty, with huge blue eyes. "Her dad’s," beams Ali. "I remember when I saw Bono on stage for the first time and all I could see were his eyes, it was as if they were lit up. They were electrifying. Amazing."

I ask Jordan whether having Bono (Ali calls him "B") as her father can sometimes be a little embarrassing. Does he wear those wraparound dark glasses to breakfast? She laughs. "No," Jordan says, "he’s kind of boring, but sometimes when he drives us to school he wears just his dressing gown, and has the music turned up really loud." Does he give her a hard time when it comes to boyfriends? "Well, I don’t have a boyfriend yet," she says, squirming, "so he thinks I’m a real loo-ser."

Ali and Bono, who live in the Dublin suburb of Killiney, have four children. As well as Jordan, there is Eve, 13, Elijah, five, and John Abraham, three. "We also have two dogs and a rock band," says Ali, who was terrified she was going to be late for our shoot as the nanny had called in sick. She ended up doing the "very complicated" school run in her husband’s Maserati, and then haring into Dublin in the snow.

Bono is in Mexico, rehearsing for U2’s American tour. The whole family, plus tutors, will be joining him next month, but he phones "all the time" according to Ali. He wrote The Sweetest Thing when he missed her birthday.

"Dad is always going away," says Jordan, "but he always comes back."

"Elijah will never say goodbye to anyone," says Ali, "he just goes downstairs until they’ve gone, it’s so sad and so sweet." "I think he’s just plain rude," says Jordan.

Ali, who at 42 has pale skin, rosy cheeks and inky hair, prefers to be low-key, which is why the couple still live in the city they grew up in and why they try very hard to make sure their children grow up appreciating how lucky they are. "We have taken them to the townships in South Africa," says Ali. "And although they have much more than Bono and I did growing up - Bono’s dad was in the postal service, my mum and dad had an electrical business - we don’t spoil them.

"When I first went to Ethiopia with Bono 20 years ago for Band Aid, we slept in a tent for five weeks, we saw children dying around us, and when we came back to Dublin we were in shock that there was all this food in the supermarket. It was obscene."

Ali, who has just launched an ethical clothing range, has never been a typical rock-star wife. She is the antithesis of bling; the only jewellery she wears apart from her wedding band is a simple pearl necklace, given to her by Bono but hidden under her black polo neck. While Bono’s career was taking off in 1987 with the release of The Joshua Tree album, making them the biggest band in the world, with album sales over 100 million, Ali was studying for a degree in political science at University College. "I gave birth to Jordan two weeks before my finals," she says.

She became involved in fund-raising for the children of Chernobyl in 1993, making an Oscar-winning documentary; she is godmother to a child she met while in the Ukraine. She once left the kids with Bono so she could drive an ambulance to Belarus. In 2002, she began a campaign to close Sellafield, just across the Irish Sea in Cumbria.

ALI HAS BEEN shot at in Sarajevo and El Salvador. But it wasn’t Band Aid 20 years ago that first politicised her. "Even at school, Bono and I would talk about what was wrong with the world," she says. "We grew up hearing about famine. It’s part of being Irish."

She first met Bono at the age of 12. They went to the same school, Mount Temple Secondary Modern, and Bono, or plain Paul Hewson, was in the year above. "He worked very hard at being the heart-throb," she says. "He came up to me within the first day and asked, did I know where his class should be going? It was just an excuse to talk to me, and I thought, ‘What an eejit.’

"I remember that on the fourth day at school I saw him walking across the courtyard and it was, bing. That is the guy for me. But we waited until we were 15 before we actually started going out. We broke up after six weeks because I had promised my best friend I’d just get him out of my system. That completely bemused him."

He was to be "pretty much" her only proper boyfriend. Ali married Bono in 1982 in Dublin, in a wedding dress made by her mum; her parents are about to move nearby so that they can be more involved with the children. They still have the same group of childhood friends - band member The Edge is a mile away; drummer Larry Mullen’s girlfriend is Ali’s best friend from school - and they all go on holiday together.

"I’m starting to like the music now," Ali says, "but at first I hated it. I grew up listening to my dad’s records, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole."

The band, later called U2, was formed in 1976 after Mullen pinned up an ad on the school notice board to see if anybody was interested. Ali went to the first gig and thought they were "pretty good".

I ask her if, when the band took off in the early 1980s, she worried she would lose him to a supermodel. "Our marriage has worked because we like each other, because we talk to each other, and we are passionate about what we do. We allow each other to pursue our goals.

"I wouldn’t want to be married to someone who wasn’t happy with what they were doing in life, and B wouldn’t either. I have learned a lot about what it means to be married, how great it can be if you persevere. We’re very close. He says I’m very good with the dog whistle."

Ali’s latest goal is her new ethical fashion company, Edun, which launches in Selfridges this month. "We want to show you can run a profitable business and treat everybody well," explains Ali.

The label’s name is Nude backwards, which is the name of the organic-food company Ali and Bono have a share in.

Ali is wearing an Edun soft blouse and black jeans. They are handmade, subtly sexy, with exquisite details, and inside are sewn the words: "We carry the story of the people who made our clothes around with us."

It is the story of how the clothes are made that is so important. Ali has visited every small factory that makes them in Africa, Peru, India and Tunisia, ensuring safe working conditions and a fair wage, and that no child labour is used. "I am a mother; how could I wear clothes that have been made by other people’s children?" Although she has also ensured manufacture doesn’t damage the environment, the jeans, she admits, are the exception.

"I am a little worried about the jeans," she says, "there is no way to make organic denim yet. We use coffee as a dye, and things such as gardenias - but as soon as we find a way, we’ll do it." I ask her why she came up with the idea of ethical clothing. "Well, I’ve never been interested in fashion," she says.

"I used to go to school in Wellington boots, I was a bit of a tomboy. But when Bono came back from Africa about three years ago, he had seen how many garment factories were being closed down. The big companies don’t seem to have any loyalty to communities, they just go where labour is cheapest."

She has just visited a new factory in a town called Butha-Buthe in Lesotho, run by "two amazing women" who said, "Can you help us get globalised?" and where Edun’s orders have just doubled the workforce from 150 to 300. Back on the home front, it is Ali who runs the show. When I ask if Bono is a new man, the response is unequivocal. "Oh my God no," Ali says. "One part of his brain is a genius, but he can only focus on one thing. He wasn’t able to negotiate his way through school, but he can sit and read seven books in a day, and just absorb all this information like a sponge; it’s like breathing for Bono, but he won’t notice the washing-up."

Surely Bono must be feeling his age? I wonder if he ever asks his children to keep the music down. Eve apparently plays the drums so loudly the plaster is starting to fall off. "He wants us to turn it down, but he will never ask us to," smiles Jordan cheekily. "He knows that would be soooo not cool."

Bono, who was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 2003, recently returned from a summit with Tony Blair and George W Bush, in which he criticised the latter for not canceling African debt. Ali says Bono still believes Blair is a very sincere man, and they have stayed at Chequers - "It was very relaxed, they are such good people."

Her husband isn’t remotely fazed when he is flanked by the two world leaders. "He has had more than 20 years of living with people’s problems." He is not about to become a full-time politician, though. "Music is his first love. He is always telling people that James Joyce’s first love was music, not words."

Jordan and Ali get up to go shopping. I hang back to pick up the tab, but am told Ali has already secretly paid. She phones me later to make sure I am going somewhere nice for dinner. I ask the young man who brings me breakfast what the Bonos are like to work for. "They never leave the penthouse untidy," he says. So much for the rock’n’roll lifestyle.

• Edun will be available later this month at Selfridges; call 0870 837 7377.
• U2 are due to play Hampden Park in Glasgow on 21 June this year.

0303bonob.jpg

Ali graduated in 1989 with a degree in Political Science (I think) so issues of politics and economics are nothing new to her.

Ever since Ali and Bono went to Ethiopia in 1985 and stayed a month in the refugee camp, they have been growing in their awareness and actions to help poor people in Africa and other areas of the world.

This is not a "cause" for her and Bono - it's a matter of Justice. :angel:

Niamh, where is the article from?

Thanks for posting it.:wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
How the frick are she and Bono so well versed in all this economics talk? Geez, if they're that good with math, where were they when I was taking all my math classes in school, LOL.

Seriously, great article-Ali is such a smart woman. Definitely hold lots of admiration for her.

Angela

Bono and Ali are probably well-versed because while we are on here in looking at pictures and discussing articles, they are out there meeting with political leaders and in politic forums, discussing problems in percentages and facts in economical-speak. To be able to fight for justice and trade, they NEED to know what they are talking about. If that means Bono and Ali read one of those boring economical books, well....

I'm confident that there will be many many Ali's successors stemming from this forum. :applaud: :rockon:

Heh, yeah, I'd say that's quite true, xtal...I couldn't fathom sitting there for hours reading an economics book and understanding what they're talking about (math related things aren't my forte), so I have full admiration for anyone who can do that.

Jamila said:
Ali graduated in 1989 with a degree in Political Science (I think) so issues of politics and economics are nothing new to her.

Oh, yeah...I'm just amazed that people can understand the stuff, is all. I'd just look at it and be like this: :der: :scratch:. My hat's off to anyone who gets this stuff.

Angela

teehee said:
Another one from http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=232492005

Sit back and enjoy a nice life? Can't do it

LIZ JONES

I’M HAVING LUNCH with Ali Hewson, the wife of Bono, lead singer of U2, at the Clarence Hotel in Dublin, partly owned by her husband. Their oldest daughter, Jordan, turns up. At 15, she is already a beauty, with huge blue eyes. "Her dad’s," beams Ali.

That's the first thing I notice about Jordan is that she's got Bono's eyes. She reminds me of JT Bono. That's why I get surprised to see people say she looks like Ali. I really don't see Ali in her at all, except maybe the way her lips looked when she was younger. Eve looks more like Ali, but with Bono's eyes. Looks like 3 out of 4 kids got those eyes!

"I remember when I saw Bono on stage for the first time and all I could see were his eyes, it was as if they were lit up. They were electrifying. Amazing."

AAAhhhh I always wondered if she fell for him for the same reasons we do. I guess so :cute: She's so lucky! :love:

I ask Jordan whether having Bono (Ali calls him "B") as her father can sometimes be a little embarrassing. Does he wear those wraparound dark glasses to breakfast? She laughs. "No," Jordan says, "he’s kind of boring, but sometimes when he drives us to school he wears just his dressing gown, and has the music turned up really loud." Does he give her a hard time when it comes to boyfriends? "Well, I don’t have a boyfriend yet," she says, squirming, "so he thinks I’m a real loo-ser."

That's hilarious! I have taken kids to school that way too;)

No boyfriends? I'm sure there are several guys here who'd love to be one;)

"Dad is always going away," says Jordan, "but he always comes back."

"Elijah will never say goodbye to anyone," says Ali, "he just goes downstairs until they’ve gone, it’s so sad and so sweet."

Awww :(

Ali, who has just launched an ethical clothing range, has never been a typical rock-star wife. She is the antithesis of bling;

Again, she's awesome (also say that about Niamh's article!)

"I remember that on the fourth day at school I saw him walking across the courtyard and it was, bing. That is the guy for me.

I know the feeling! :yes:

Surely Bono must be feeling his age? I wonder if he ever asks his children to keep the music down. Eve apparently plays the drums so loudly the plaster is starting to fall off. "He wants us to turn it down, but he will never ask us to," smiles Jordan cheekily. "He knows that would be soooo not cool."

But she just said he drives them to school with it turned up loud! I bet it's not that it's loud, but that maybe he doesn't like what they're listening to. I'd turn down Beyonce and Jay- Z too :reject:

U2Kitten said:

Looks like 3 out of 4 kids got those eyes!

Yes, and do you know how incredibly remote that possibility is, genetically speaking? The gene for brown eyes is the dominant one, so the fact that three out of four of their kids have blue eyes is statistically astounding, to say the least!

By the way, Kitten, clear your box!!:wink:

biff said:

Yes, and do you know how incredibly remote that possibility is, genetically speaking? The gene for brown eyes is the dominant one, so the fact that three out of four of their kids have blue eyes is statistically astounding, to say the least!

My mom had brown and my dad had blue, and the kids came out 50/50. If the person with brown eyes carries a gene for blue, there is always that chance. But the Hewsons did better than half, I guess since Bono's are so amazing they were extra powerful;) Not just the color, but the shape came through in the kids! But Ali seems to have a darker complexion than the average girl with brown eyes, so that makes it even more surprising how many kids took after Bono. Both parents are gorgeous and the kids can't help but all be beautiful! :yes:

By the way, Kitten, clear your box!!:wink:

Okay! :wave:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ordered probably my only EDUN piece today (most of the clothing is simply out of my price range).

It's the EDUN t-shirt for $58. I shudder to think about spending $58 for a t-shirt, but I did this time to support the principle of FAIR TRADE that is behind EDUN.

Here's what my $58 t-shirt will look like:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...D=1110674966663

With S & H and state taxes, I will end up paying over $70 for this t-shirt!

I really like and admire the Hewsons enough that I spent nearly 2/3 of my daily wage on one of their t-shirts. :wink:

I ordered probably my only EDUN piece today (most of the clothing is simply out of my price range).

It's the EDUN t-shirt for $58. I shudder to think about spending $58 for a t-shirt, but I did this time to support the principle of FAIR TRADE that is behind EDUN.

Here's what my $58 t-shirt will look like:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...D=1110674966663

With S & H and state taxes, I will end up paying over $70 for this t-shirt!

I really like and admire the Hewsons enough that I spent nearly 2/3 of my daily wage on one of their t-shirts.

starsgoblue said:
What's she's doing is fantastic. And I would love to support Edun...but I can't afford $148 for a pair of jeans....:sigh:

Same here. :sigh: Believe me, I don't like buying clothes that were made in sweatshops by people (including children) getting paid slave wages. But I only have so much money.

Sue DeNym said:

Same here. :sigh: Believe me, I don't like buying clothes that were made in sweatshops by people (including children) getting paid slave wages. But I only have so much money.

I agree. I'd love to buy some Edun schmatte. I like the styles (especially those Sybil trousers) and I really agree with what Edun is all about, but I just can't afford it.

However, it is possible to shop with a conscience. I buy fair-trade coffee, environmentally-sound cleaning products, and cosmetics not tested on animals.

biff said:

Pardon me for being an egghead, but I just wanted to point out that the possibility is in fact 50/50.

Bono has blue eyes--a recessive trait, so by definition he must have two genes for blue. Ali obviously has one gene for brown (a dominant trait; hence her brown eyes)--BUT her other gene is clearly for blue: otherwise, she could not have blue-eyed children, since brown always dominates.

Therefore, each child would automatically get one blue gene from Bono, and then either a blue gene (--> blue eyes) or a brown gene (--> brown eyes) from Ali. So, the chance is actually 50/50.

yolland said:

Pardon me for being an egghead, but I just wanted to point out that the possibility is in fact 50/50.

Bono has blue eyes--a recessive trait, so by definition he must have two genes for blue. Ali obviously has one gene for brown (a dominant trait; hence her brown eyes)--BUT her other gene is clearly for blue: otherwise, she could not have blue-eyed children, since brown always dominates.

Therefore, each child would automatically get one blue gene from Bono, and then either a blue gene (--> blue eyes) or a brown gene (--> brown eyes) from Ali. So, the chance is actually 50/50.

We took the 50/50 a step further. Our daughter has one brown eye and one green eye. She, of course, blames me.

Golightly Grrl said:
However, it is possible to shop with a conscience. I buy fair-trade coffee, environmentally-sound cleaning products, and cosmetics not tested on animals.

Oh, absolutely! I buy organic produce and environmentally-friendly cleaning products when I can. But they're only slightly more expensive than regular groceries (and sometimes you can get them on sale), whereas the price gap between regular clothes and Edun clothes is much, much larger.

u2granny said:
We took the 50/50 a step further. Our daughter has one brown eye and one green eye. She, of course, blames me.

That is so cool! The David Bowie look! :cool: :D

Back
Top Bottom