Electrical Storm only at No. 5 in the UK Charts?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishThunder

The Fly
Hi,
what happened to the sure fire Number one?????
I planned my morning to be home for CDUK and was so shocked to see U2 at number 5.

CDUK usually gets the positions near enough right, unless there is a huge surge of singles today.

A few moths ago every U2 article was saying Electrical storm was going to be u2's biggest hit and number one.

After all those years in the business no. 5 is great but you know what I mean!

Even album reviews have suddenly went from being fantastic to being average, what is happening to the World! Some people have no taste!

When is the single released in America?

IrishThunder said:

When is the single released in America?

Good question!!!! Laura and I ordered the two imports from CDNOW and paid (way too much) extra with the promis that they would be delivered on its European release date, Oct. 21. Well, ONE of them showed up a day or so ago, the other, who knows?!?! Another friend has been just about everywhere around here that sells CDs and is getting no answers....... :banghead:

As for the chart position, is it just me or was there like zero promo for this single? Some radio stations picked up on it, but it seems like the band themselves did little in the way of promotion.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i have only heard the song twice here in Atlanta and that was during the first week it leaked out. i haven't heard it since. i also have not seen the video in rotation on VH-1...however i hardly watch it...is it being played at all on other stations throughout the states?

It's being played here in GR on 97.9, but they didn't make a huge deal of it like that Toronto station did, playing it almost every two hours for a while. I've heard it 3-4 time here, and they mention the new single and Best Of, granted, I don't listen to the radio unless I'm someone's car.

When the song was released they played it very few times
on my local radio station here in Miami, and now they dont
play it at all.
I heard that U2 wasen't gonna do much promoting for
Electrical Storm.
And the single is not in stores yet. I called VirginMega Store
the day that the single was released, I thought is was gonna
be released all over the world on the same day, but they told
me they do not have it yet and to call them back next Tuesday.

IrishThunder said:
Hi,
what happened to the sure fire Number one?????
I planned my morning to be home for CDUK and was so shocked to see U2 at number 5.

CDUK usually gets the positions near enough right, unless there is a huge surge of singles today.

A few moths ago every U2 article was saying Electrical storm was going to be u2's biggest hit and number one.

If I remember correctly, it was only one U2 article, from a newspaper that is not known for getting its facts right.

Number 5 IMO is pretty good for a basically inessential song that was only done to fatten up The Best Of.

I ordered my single from CDNOW and I got it yesterday (or the day before, I can't remember) ... but I haven't seen it in stores, and I've heard it on the radio about... 3 times, the last time being about a few weeks ago :( I'm kind of bummed, I was hoping it would be played a lot... but only one station seems to like U2 here.

littleheartsuitcase said:
I ordered my single from CDNOW and I got it yesterday (or the day before, I can't remember) ... but I haven't seen it in stores, and I've heard it on the radio about... 3 times, the last time being about a few weeks ago :( I'm kind of bummed, I was hoping it would be played a lot... but only one station seems to like U2 here.

I heard it on 107.7 The End last weekend O_O
:shifty:

In the UK number 5 is not that great, over here big acts are only successful if they get number one. I am not dissing the group or anything, just number 5 would not be an issue in the US but here so very few singles are bought these days it is a bigger thing.

I have about 10 music channels on Satellite and 2 channels play ES a few times a day but if I hear it twice in one day I am lucky. Id have the music channels on quite a bit throughout the day Even the radio is not playing it as much as I would have thougt.

I just found this on Youtwo.net

http://www.irma.ie
October 26, 2002
From IRMA:

Irish Top 10 Singles: Week of October 28

This Week / Artist,Track
1. Nelly Ft Kelly Rowland, Dilemma
2. U2, Electrical Storm
3. Las Ketchup, Asereje - The Ketchup Song
4. Blue,One Love
5. Justin Timberlake, Like I Love You
6. Avril Lavigne,Complicated
7. Samantha Mumba, I'm Right Here
8. Luke Thomas, Automatic
9. Pink, Just Like A Pill
10. Puddle Of Mudd, She Hates Me

I don't give a @:censored:& about the chart positions. ES is a lovely song, but it's a single from a compilation album and those things are usually not huge hits. I remember that Bono was rather shocked that the first Best of sold as well as it did. If he was shocked, then.............

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

lmfao!!! the ketchup song? :huh: hahahahaha..i have never heard of this song..somebody please tell me it is a valid song. :lol:

OMG, I just found it on my schools network! Its the "Dj Me?o Mix" Gonna give it a listen.....

*listens*

:eyebrow: hm, I dunno, it's pretty strange, but it is a remix...it reminds me of Pass The Dutchie :lmao:

I'll put it here for download:

http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/vampiresquad/ketchup.html

I just got the normal version from a downloads website. I'll post that on the above link as well.

BTW, Electrial Storm was in first place for downloads :D

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i have only heard the song twice here in Atlanta and that was during the first week it leaked out. i haven't heard it since. i also have not seen the video in rotation on VH-1...however i hardly watch it...is it being played at all on other stations throughout the states?

It was on constant rotation on VH1 for a while, and it's still being played a lot. I think it's number 10 there.

Wow, it's the total opposite here. ES is being played like CRAZY here (Toronto), radio airplay is excellent and the video gets good airplay on MuchMoreMusic. Didn't Sweetest Thing do well in the UK? I personally think ES is better than ST but that's just me. Still, I don't expect it to do well, other than in Ireland where their singles almost always do well. The competition in the UK is fierce. I remember when Atomic Kitten (what kind of name is that anyway?) beat SIAM for the number one slot, I was pissed, but I guess the public would rather hear some manufactured,no talent girl "band" then a band who actually has substance and good songs. But I digress. Still I find it sad, people really don't have taste in music anymore (no offense) especially in the UK. I mean please, Atomic Kitten over U2? Give me a break. It's too bad ES isn't getting the number one hit deserves, but I don't care. U2 will ALWAYS be #1 in my eyes!!!!!!!! :yes: No one will ever remember Atomic Kitten or S Club 7 in 5 years (what is with these names?) or whoever happens to be the flavour of the month

Last edited:
An idiot can have a #1 song. I do believe at least one chart-topper was made by idiots. But I'll be damned if I can think of their name...........:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom