Easy to care-for small furry things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiniFly

War Child
My friend wants to get a pet, and she lives in an apartment and goes to college full time. What's a good low maintenece small furry thing she could raise?

I've had a rabbit, they are nice and can be litter-box trained. Guinea pigs are cool too, they make sweet little chirping/squeaky noises. I'm not crazy about hamsters and gerbils because they have a tendency to bite. Many of my classmates have rats and like them alot. *My* fave choice would be a cat, they are actually pretty low maintenance too. Hope that helps! :wave:

well...it's not furry...but...

I just got a frog and a tadpole from www.growafrog.com. I got the Super Delux kit (which comes with a tadpole and a froglet and a seperate habitat for each of them to start) and ordered a large froglet bed...lol. Talk about low maintenance!

GUINEA PIGS! (it's best to get two)

I miss my little Sami :sad: I can't wait till I can get more.

I don't like hamsters and gerbils 'cus they bite and have diseases, but rats are VERY smart and a lot cleaner than hamsters and gerbils. I also love bunnies, but sometimes they're messy, although you can litter train them. Guinea pigs are my fave b/c they are so smart, mine could do lots of tricks. And they talk to you and can also be litter trained. And for the record, they are NOT rodents!

(tried to find the cutest pic of my Sami piggy, but it's not working)

I was gonna say a bono

Hamsters, mice or guinea pigs. :yes:

It's just sad every time when the little fellow die.... :(

A mouse is a good pet for somebody who does not have a lot of time to spend with the pet. Mice prefer to be left alone...they don't care much for social interaction. I used to have a mouse, and I only bothered him once a week to clean him (during the week, I'd slip treats in by him, but that was it). He enjoyed our little bit of time spent together, but then he was just content to be left alone.

Rats are a lot more social...they require lots of interaction to be happy. Some rats get pretty big though, so you have to be sure you have enough room for them.

Right now, I have a hamster. He kinda likes to be left alone too, but he is very friendly and will play with me. He's a black bear hamster, which is a type of Syrian hamster that is specially bred to be gentler than most hamsters (they cost a little more, but it really isn't much...I got mine for $20). I've found that to be true...I've had a total of 7 hamsters in the past, and Benny (my black bear) is the nicest, sweetest, calmest one I've ever had.

If you don't mind changing a litter box I suggest a cat. They are independant and yet sweet and loving at the same time. I live by myself and I have cats. They are great company. :D :D :heart: :heart:

Back
Top Bottom