dream out loud pt 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
They had been touring for over two months and almost reaching the end of the European leg of it when Edge approached Bono with his concerned one night before the show
"Bono I am worried about Rosie, in fact me and Adam have been having some concerns this past few weeks"

"How do you mean?" Bono demanded looking up from the guitar he had been idly fittering with to check if it was tuned ok

"Haven't you noticed, the weight she has lost?"

"Yeah" Bono replied with a small shrug "she must be on a diet you know how women are about their figures"

"Well I don't think it is just that" Edge replied, "she is so subdued lately after the shows, she always looks tired as well"

"Well touring is tiring" Bono reminded him "I am frickin' tired as well y'know.. but thats part and parcel of what we do"

"There is tired, and there is falling down of exhaustion tired, what about her performance last night" Edge pointed, "By near the end she staggering around the stage and almost fell if you hadn't grabbed her quick like she was drunk..but she doesnt drink so we can't blame that"

"Okay Okay" Bono finally relented "I will admit lately I noticed her going downhill a bit.. but you know how she is with me, if I asked her if she is alright or tell her to take it easy, she will tell me on no uncertain terms to mind my own business and gets all defensive I am still not her favorite person around here.. have any of the rest of you tried to talk to her"

"I have tried, but she just avoids it or changes the subject" Edge informed him "I still think she has not got over her mother's death, no matter how much she claims she is coping alright"

"We all agreed to let her deal with it in her own way before we started this tour" Bono pointed out "That is what she wanted, we are not her bloody babysitters"

"Yeah but we are her friends, and we are all she has now.. we still have to look out for her, if she suffers the band suffers remember that"

Bono sighed realising Edge had a valid point, deep down he knew Rosie was having problems healthwise, but she chose to pretend she wasn't and everything was ok. Bono had happily went along with this because he didn't want to accept the implications of the reality that they might have to actually quit the tour early, which he knew neither he or Rosie wanted and so far they had managed, so he had kidded himself there was nothing to worry about, until now he knew like Edge it could no longer go on being ignored.

"So what do you want to do about it?" he stared at Edge questioningly

"I think we should call a meeting and the whole four of us talk with her, and find out exactly what is going on with her" Edge replied
Bono grinned "Oh she is going to love us interrogating her, y'know she will probably tell us all to eff of"

"No doubt she will" Edge chuckled "But four against one, we have to get her to face up to the reality she is not coping as well as she thinks she is and we can all see it.. and try and get it sorted"

"I suppose so" Bono admitted, "We will call a meeting after the show tonight you can let Larry and Adam know, for now we don't want her taking one of her fury fits and storming of before we get on stage"

"Yeah I guess you got a point there" Edge agreed "But I will talk to the others, and we will grab Rosie after the show"

Bono watched him walk away, and as much as he knew Rosie needed to be sorted.. he was not looking forward to trying to make her see that.. she was so proud and stubborn, sparks were certain to fly, and he would much rather being out clubbing getting drunk and having fun to relieve his own stress from the tour without having this hassle....

But after speaking with Edge it had heightened his attention to how thin Rosie had become, as he watched her getting ready to go on stage a few hours later, he could see bones stick out where he never noticed them before, more visible in the low necklined top she was wearing and short skirt.
There was hardly any colour in her cheeks when she wasn't wearing make up, and even her usually well conditioned dark hair seemed lifeless and dull tied back in a tight pony tail, her face looked almost gaunt.

After the shows lately she always seemed listless and went straight back to her hotel room. But before they went out on stage, as now she seemed to be able to summon up whatever energy she had left to get her through the show, because of this Bono had just let it go.. If she could perform as far as he was concerned she was fine, now he realised that was not the case any more

She glanced over and caught him studying her, and shifted uneasily "Something wrong?" she demanded

"Good question" Bono replied "I was just wondering that myself?"

Not sure exactly what he meant she frowned and walked over to him "What do you mean by that?"

Bono shook his head, not wanting to get into it with her now when they were about to go on stage "We will talk about it later ok"

"Guess so" Rosie replied feeling a little uneasy but didn't have much time to dwell on it as they headed for the stage.

As they were on stage performing Bono found himself keeping a careful eye on her, but doing it in a subtle way that she didn't even notice, she seemed to be doing fine much to his relief though she seem to be drinking lots of the bottled water whenever she could get the chance, though as they got nearer to the end of the night, he noticed she had some difficulty keeping up, and he found himself covering her by singing it a little louder and though it was a slow song, she seemed to be completely drained, so he made out he was standing against her leaning on her, which actually give her the cnace to lean on him and putting his arm around her, holding her up, but making out he was just doing it for a lark, he knew if Rosie suspected he thought she was falling apart she would take a fit

But when they came of stage waiting for the encore, he notice how she just seem to collapse into the nearby chair in the dressing room and close her eyes and catching her breath. He exchanged a glance with the others, before speaking
"Hey Rosie if you want to sit the encore out, its fine with us.. you look a little whacked"

"Yeah" Edge chipped in "We can handle it ok if you need to take a rest, its no big deal.. right guys?"

The others nodded and murmered in agreement. Rosie opned her eyes and looked around at them all as if they had gone mad

"Don't be daft, I can't do that... I am fine really, " she tried to assure them now sitting upright "I was just getting my breath back, no way am I sitting it out and letting Bono get all the glory" and with that she got up to rub herself down with the towel and take another gulp of water, Bono shot Edge an 'I tried' look and shrugged

He had to giver credit in the ten minute break she seemed to have recovered herself enough to finish the last two energtic songs
when they went out on stage again, he reckoned it was more her determination to prove to them all she could still do it, that drove her.

But he decided as soon as they got of stage finally that night he would tell her that they were calling a meeting and want to talk to her.. he didint think she could go on much longer the way she was.

But they had no sooner walked of stage, when Bono heard the thud and the sounds of voices around them raised in surprised alarm. When he looked around he swore at the sight of Rosie lying on the ground seemingly out cold to the world...

Last edited:
:huh: ACK!

Ooh hey, completely unrelated question, when you wrote Island Girl, how old did you imagine Bono to be?

well I reckon in his mid to late twenties.. though I know in reality he and Ali are much the same age in rl life

Ok, I haven't done a very good job commenting on this story, but I do want you to know that I have really enjoyed it.

annj said:
it's ok lady val, thanks for the input now:wave:

I have also been reading Island Girl and just love it as well!! Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom