Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

Where are you getting your information that Bono's father died of lung cancer?

I have read that he hated Bono smoking.

I've read the same. You can get cancer and not smoke. Christopher Reeve's wife died of lung cancer and she never smoked.

I don't remember the exact sources, since it was almost six years ago, but what I was reading at the time said he had lung cancer and Parkinson's. The articles I've been able to dig up also state he died of cancer.

It is certainly true that non-smokers CAN get lung cancer, but it is quite unusual.

financeguy said:
It is certainly true that non-smokers CAN get lung cancer, but it is quite unusual.

Maybe it was some other form of cancer, but I've always remembered lung cancer. I'm too lazy to dig out my magazine source and it doesn't really matter either way. He died of cancer, and smoking with a family history of cancer (any kind, really) and brain aneurysm is a risk I'm sure Bono's aware of.

One of the reasons that second hand smoke is considered worse than direct smoking is that the smoker is inhaling through a filter (usually) and the second hand recipient isn't. Also there are other dangers to that than just lung cancer. I lived with an asthmatic for 7 years and during that time I worked in a dog grooming shop with 3 or 4 others who were chain smokers. I didn't smoke and never have because my father died of emphysema. When Gene moved in with me just the smoke residue on my clothes and purse would irritate his lungs. I would come home and bag my purse and my dirty clothes and shower immediately. After doing this for a few weeks I began to notice how much less my own home smelled of smoke and no one had smoked in my apartment at all. When I moved to Florida and worked in a non smoking environment my own health improved as in I got fewer respiratory illnesses and my sinus problems subsided tremendously. To give you an idea of how bad the smoke was in the grooming shop every surface had been yellowed with tobacco stains.

Dana

Regarding Parkinson: Parkinson itself is not a leathal illness.
So he could have suffered from that.

And you don't develop lung cancer only through smoking.

financeguy said:

It's quite unusual to develop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as a non-smoker, and I have that.

It is right that a smoker inhales through a filter. But then he blasts the smoke into the room, and immediately inhales again. The second-hand smoker on the other hand only inhales what get blasted into the air.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

No, his father died of lung cancer and his mother died of a brain aneurysm. It's possible he's genetically predisposed to one or both of these conditions, and smoking is a very great risk for both.

I thought his father had lymphoma.

Infinitum98 said:
Okay a few questions/comments:

1) I never knew Larry smoked. How long has he been smoking for and how do we know?

If you watch the Numb video, he is seen smoking a cigg with Adam.

financeguy said:

Actually, it's not really that unusual. 17-20 % of people who get lung cancer are nonsmokers. My mom is one of them. :(
Secondhand smoke is bad news, for everyone.

Last edited:
pattip2000 said:

I don't remember hearing anyone mention that, what have you heard or seen?
also, in a very recent Q magazine article (the one before the one with the 27 page special with U2's history and all, i think), larry shared that his kids have been pestering him to quit smoking. the picture in the interview is of him with a cigarette, so i think he still smokes.
maybe bono is an occasional smoker

rihannsu said:
One of the reasons that second hand smoke is considered worse than direct smoking is that the smoker is inhaling through a filter (usually) and the second hand recipient isn't. Also there are other dangers to that than just lung cancer. I lived with an asthmatic for 7 years and during that time I worked in a dog grooming shop with 3 or 4 others who were chain smokers. I didn't smoke and never have because my father died of emphysema. When Gene moved in with me just the smoke residue on my clothes and purse would irritate his lungs. I would come home and bag my purse and my dirty clothes and shower immediately. After doing this for a few weeks I began to notice how much less my own home smelled of smoke and no one had smoked in my apartment at all. When I moved to Florida and worked in a non smoking environment my own health improved as in I got fewer respiratory illnesses and my sinus problems subsided tremendously. To give you an idea of how bad the smoke was in the grooming shop every surface had been yellowed with tobacco stains.

Dana

I once worked (voluntarily) where there was a chain smoker at the next station to me. I couldn't breath working by her. I quit on the first day and called in Occupational Health and Safety to investigate, because a) it's illegal here b) there were many other people working with her who were too nice to complain, and c) it was a huge fire risk

Infinitum98 said:
3) When did Edge smoke, if ever?
There's footage in one of the making of Achtung Baby vids that shows Edge smoking.

And in the U2 by U2 book, Paul talks about he and Adam once being the only smokers and now they are the non-smokers in the band.

Back
Top Bottom