Does Bono Still Smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What an idiot... he needs to quit completely for the sake of his voice. He's already destroyed enough of it.

kimby said:

Of course *some* folks carry on like he's a five pack-a-day man!

I've been hanging around here waaay to long... :crazy:

Do we know he isn't ? 2nd hand smoke does kill you know, wonder if Ali let's him smoke at home

toscano said:

Do we know he isn't ? 2nd hand smoke does kill you know, wonder if Ali let's him smoke at home

Well, while one can't be 100% positive that he doesn't smoke 5 packs a day or whatever...

1. I think his wife knows him better than we do.

2. Despite those photos posted earlier in the thread, the majority of photos(both the posed and Out-And-About-In-Public types) he isn't smoking or holding a cigarette or cigar. Heavy smokers almost always have one in hand, in mouth, or are about to light up--it would be noticed, as many pics get taken of him!

3. So many fans who have met him go on about how good he smells--no mention of smoke--and that stuff tends to cling no matter what you do! (I know this because I lived for 20 years with my mom and stepdad--both heavy smokers--and despite regular bathing, freshly washed clothes, etc, people kept asking me if I smoked<I don't and never have>)

So basically, I'm giving an educated guess based on what his spouse(who has been photographed w/ciggie in hand at least once herself) says, and from personal experience around smokers.

Sure, he should quit, but cutting down is better than nothing...

toscano said:

If Ali lets him? Dude I don't think Bono is stupid - he doesnt need to be told not to smoke in front of his kids I doubt.

Back in the 90s, there were many pictures taken with Bono smoking, because he might have thought it to be cool and fitting his image back than. Nowadays, there aren't many photos of him with a cigarette/cigar. I think he really tried to cut it down. He said so himself many times that he is trying to quit, but it's very difficult, especially if you have a lifestyle like he does with so much stress and everything. I read in an article/interview that he now smokes only one cigarette after a U2 concert and only if he does not have to do a show the next day. Sounds as if he really does not smoke much these days.
I also smoke from time to time but I would hate the thought to be addicted. I am quite tolerant towards smokers, IF they do not act reclessly towards non-smokers.
But as far as Bono is regarded, I deeply believe that he should stop smoking, or better: he should never have started with it in the first place. It's something stupid to do when you are a singer. He's such a strong, intelligent person with a strong will, why can't he stop smoking? I don't get it. But I accept that it may be because of the stress, for his nerves, etc.

He probably cut down, with less pictures of him smoking in the last few years.

Definitely the best functioning "alcoholic" and "druggie" I can think of. :huh:

i dont know, smoking sucks, but all the shit he has to put up with and go through everyday with dealing with people and the One campaign, i say light one up if you need to.

partygirlvox said:

If Ali lets him? Dude I don't think Bono is stupid - he doesnt need to be told not to smoke in front of his kids I doubt.

I dunno, the data is out there re. the damage smoking does and he's apparently been told what it'll do to his voice, and yet........

toscano said:

I dunno, the data is out there re. the damage smoking does and he's apparently been told what it'll do to his voice, and yet........

Thats completely different - if he can control it so that he doesnt overdo it and ruin his voice then thats okay, but I Bono loves his kids and hes not going to harm them in the process.

kimby said:

3. So many fans who have met him go on about how good he smells--no mention of smoke--and that stuff tends to cling no matter what you do! (I know this because I lived for 20 years with my mom and stepdad--both heavy smokers--and despite regular bathing, freshly washed clothes, etc, people kept asking me if I smoked<I don't and never have>)

Quote from last year's Q magazine (yes the one with that horrible cover)
"I want to go for a walk" he grunts, his breath a sweet gas of coffee and tobacco.
so I guess he does smell likes it a bit..

in wich interview did you read that about him smoking 3 ciggy's a day btw? I can't remember such thing, and I read Ali interviews aswell..

AchtungAlly, he started smoking during the JT tour, as stated in Neil McCormicks book... because of the stress of the tour... he claimed it to be stupid, but he needed it...

for Achtung Baby he DID smoke for his image... in many interviews it's said that he told his dad he 'didn't inhale' and that it was 'just for the stage act and image'

in the new book Paul Mc Guiness comments that when the band first started Paul and Adam were the only smokers. Now, he says, he and Adam don't smoke but the other three do. He also says that he said to bono at one point ,"don't you know what smoking will do to your voice?" and bono said that he liked the way it makes his voice sound.

yea.. that was in the 90s I think... he also said that in the 80s, he thinks he sounded like a woman and the smoking gives him a more masculine voice... (wich, it does..)

Galeongirl said:

so I guess he does smell likes it a bit..

in wich interview did you read that about him smoking 3 ciggy's a day btw? I can't remember such thing, and I read Ali interviews aswell..

Leave it to a journalist!:lol:

As for that interview...I can't find it! I know I read it somewhere. It was one of those "she wants to talk about Edun and the interviewer wants to know all about Bono" type articles!

I'll try to look for it again later...I work nights and should have been in bed by now...:(

kimby said:

Leave it to a journalist!:lol:

As for that interview...I can't find it! I know I read it somewhere. It was one of those "she wants to talk about Edun and the interviewer wants to know all about Bono" type articles!

I'll try to look for it again later...I work nights and should have been in bed by now...:(

Oh don't mind me! go to bed :lol:
Maybe you'll find it some other time?

My aunt, who doesn't smoke, said, "I almost feel like having a cigarette" because when walking down the streets of Dublin, lots of people were. Even if you don't smoke, someone next to you might.

Whereas say in some places, you get dirty looks if you light up a cigarette.

Smoking is an addiction as well, so if he's at least trying to cut back, good for him.

+++++

Good for Paul and Adam too! I did read Adam saying that was his next addiction to quit, and sounds like he has.

yeter said:
in the new book Paul Mc Guiness comments that when the band first started Paul and Adam were the only smokers. Now, he says, he and Adam don't smoke but the other three do.

I have seen pictures of Edge smoking around AB-Zoo TV, does he still smoke?
Vegetarian and work out-department of U2 Larry smokes too? I don't think I've ever seen him with a cigarette.

larrycigar.jpg

He has a cigar here, but I have seen him with cigarettes.

"This is, uh City of Blinding Lights
It's about coming to London and New York
When we were kids, and uh these great cities
And y'know not realizing how powerful
We were in our naivete
And how, you know, innocence is so much stronger
And what you pick up of the experience
And it's, it's... *cough* *cough*
If you smoke 40 cigarettes a day you know what I'm talking about"

- Bono
Top of the Pops, London 2004

There are lots of pics out there of Larry smoking...It's hard to imagine someone who takes good care of his health in every way would smoke... :tsk:

I remember reading an interview around Elevation era, when someone asked him what he does "to look so much younger than you really are" and his response was : "I try and do the right things for my health, that's it." Obviously he thinks smoking is probably "the right thing"...

greety said:
I saw him smoke a big cigar on Edge's birthday last month.

Greet, that comment makes it sound like you were actually at the party! :lol:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

She was lurking in the bushes :shh:

Oh, believe me, I know she was :wink: ... but I could just imagine Greet being inside the gates at the party, you know, chatting with Ali, maybe :dance: with Adam and seeing Bono light a cigar! :lol:

Merc said:

Oh, believe me, I know she was :wink: ... but I could just imagine Greet being inside the gates at the party, you know, chatting with Ali, maybe :dance: with Adam and seeing Bono light a cigar! :lol:

I could picture Greet having a great conversation with Ali! Their both moms. I'm sure they'd have notes to compare about raising kids :blahblah: .
Ali: try to get them to pick up their stuff......
Greet: And clear of their own dishes!
Ali: They think they know everything now.
Greet: Tell me about it!
Ali: Bono! Get that cigar out of your mouth!

Greet I'll be emailing you tonight about that RS interview. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom