Do you think you're pretty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Personal question, obviously, and a nosey, touchy one at that. :) So I hereby promise to not take it personally if no one wants to have this conversation. But I'm curious and I find myself thinking a lot about images of women in videos, movies, media, U2 songs. ;) I think of my friends, some married, some mothers (single or married) some single and happy, some single and lonely. I think of my 14 or 15 year old female students dieting. And I get curious. :)

Do you think you're pretty?

Cheryl

not really. here's a pic of me for youse guys to judge.

3348879523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D9%3A%3C%3D859%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3A442%3B744ot1lsi

aaaand here's one that's a bit more recent

3348882%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2323%3D395%3D87%3B%3D323239578%3A853nu0mrj

I dont if I am pretty, but I know I am unique! Ill admit to sometimes wanting to look different then I do, but I never diet in order to look the way that I want because I am comfortable with the way that I look.(I dont have a pic to show because I dont photograph well.:lol:)

you know, i think it's not about beauty- i think it's all about loving yourself- y'now? many women think themselves not good looking, and most of them think low of themselves, you gotta love yourself, and that's the beauty of it all..yeah..something like that..lol

Well I think everyone goes through the phase of "I'm Ugly"

I personally think I just don't photgraph well, I always looked stoned or something (no joke!!!!)..... Here is the one of the few decent pictures of me, taken a looooooooooong time ago.

Attachments

• prom6.jpg
    prom6.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 191
3348882%3B23232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E6%3A%3A%3E34%3B%3Ewsnrcg%3D323238%3C%3B475%3B4nu0mrj

Actually, I think myself pretty. :D My skin and hair have issues but overall, yeah...
I'm always looking in the mirror and updating make up throught out the day, my family thinks I'm vain, but the thing is I don't give a damn what anybody else looks like. I forget that others probably don't care either. :rolleyes: :cool:

I've never really thought I was ugly. I used to dislike parts of my body. Since I met this guy I like I seem to love my body to no end. My self confidence has skyrocketed since I met him.
Now, if only he was ready to date. Oh well, we're young and still have 3 years left of High School!

Okay, I was gonna be brave and post a pic of me. But I can't get my effing scanner to cooperate. HTML I can do. Photoshop, no. *sigh*

Anyway, I agree, self esteem and confidence is really the most important thing. That's what I'm really going for here in this discussion.

:)

SD

Some days I do, some days I don't...

Here's me with my bro (I'm not very photogenic and for some reason we are really orange here!)

jen2.jpg

I try to be positive. If YOU think you're pretty, it's bound to show through and maybe others will too! :happy:

Lilly said:
not really. here's a pic of me for youse guys to judge.

3348879523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D9%3A%3C%3D859%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3A442%3B744ot1lsi

aaaand here's one that's a bit more recent

3348882%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2323%3D395%3D87%3B%3D323239578%3A853nu0mrj

*edited because I didn't say what I wanted to say the right way*

Here's what I think... as a society, I believe we're taught to NOT say we're pretty because it would be considered snobbish and very snotty. Not being able to say it out loud is very similar to thinking - because we think of things and then say them, do we not?

It's OK for us to think of other people as pretty or beautiful or whatever, but heaven forbid if one of us said right out loud for everyone to hear: "hey, I am beauuuuutiful!" People think it's a joke if it's said out loud... and if it's meant in all seriousness, it's considered a snobby thing to say.

Now, Lilly.... I personally think you're very beautiful - inside and out.

Moonie Moober :D

Last edited:
Yes. Screw society's standards- I create my own ;)

my pics in my profile like April. I think all Pleba girls are beautiful- and women certainly become more attractive the more they know it (that satisfied kind of knowledge- not the bragging kind!)

:)

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

Here's what I think... as a society, I believe we're taught to NOT think we're pretty because it would be considered snobbish and very snotty.

exactly, it keeps women subserviant and concerned about superficial things about what they're wearing rather than the meeting they're at.

besides.... if we thought we were beautiful who would buy all those thousands-millions- of dollars in beauty diet products?? :|

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

It's OK for us to think of other people as pretty or beautiful or whatever, but heaven forbid if one of us said right out loud for everyone to hear: "hey, I am beauuuuutiful!" People think it's a joke if it's said out loud... and if it's meant in all seriousness, it's considered a snobby thing to say.

So true! And it IS really stupid, isn't it?

hmmm on very rare occasions perhaps. But usually I just shrug it off and don't think about it. meh. I value my inner strength and intelligence more, but someday it would be really nice to find someone that thought I was just the purtiest thing ever. (I'm waiting for Viggo ;) )

Personally the women in those "fashion" ads, and in the media in general gross me out.

All you can see is skin and bone. I was watching the Today show this morning and they had that girl that is gonna be in MIB 2, and she was wearing this tank top thingie. She looked horrible all thin and drawn.

It kinda makes me sad to see these women killing themselves over something so they can make a living.

wertsie said:

So true! And it IS really stupid, isn't it?

Yes, it is stupid. I have spent many, many years thinking I am ugly because I'm ehm... let's put it this way - pleasantly plump. I wasn't like that when I was in high school, so when I run into people who knew me then, I can almost read their thoughts: "OHMYGAWD, what the hell happened to her?" I have had a self-esteem problem for years. A person pays me a compliment and I have no idea how to take it, so I end up explaining/apologizing for something in order to compensate for the compliment. Drives my friends nuts.

However, with new images coming out - Lane Bryant comes to mind specifically - larger women are considered just as beautiful as the rail-thin model. And, I've heard it said countless times - many men out there like women with 'meat on their bones' - heh. Get yer mind outta the gutter, Daisy Bean. :D Anyway. There's so much crap in society that dictates how a young woman should act and look - it's scary to me because it's not healthy. I had an 8th grade girl come up to me last year and told me she was dieting because she was 'fat'. She wasn't fat and I immediately told her so. I also told her that it was dangerous at her age to start dieting because her body was still growing - she could do severe damage to herself if she did. I don't think she listened to me. And, unfortunately, the middle school staple diet is chips and soda and ice cream.

Moonie

When I was in junior high I considered myself to be the ugliest girl on the planet. I would have given anything to be pretty. Then a few years later my braces came off and my acne cleared up, and I felt better about how I looked. I still didn't think I was pretty, but I no longer considered myself ugly either. The funny thing is, as I got older it mattered less and less to me what people thought of my appearance. If people are going to judge you on such superficial standards, they are pretty shallow and not worth your time anyway.

daisybean said:

It kinda makes me sad to see these women killing themselves over something so they can make a living.

More like so someone ELSE can make a living. they don't see near the amount of $$ the "suits" do.

*adds her 5cents -inflation means no longer 2centslol-

hmmm good question..... Do I think I'm pretty. Long ago I thought I was average looking...then my darkside came out and I loved how I looked scary. Now a days no I do not think I'm pretty..... I think I am a goddess!! My boyfriend worships the ground I walk on and I'm his fallen angel. I never thought I was ugly 'coz I never fell for those ads or comercials telling me how i should look act or think. I've always been different than the mindless sheep i've had to deal with around here that think looks are the most improtant thing in all of life. oh i could go on for hours but I won't.... gotta get back to my drooling over bono. lord i love that man's voice !! *melt down @ hearing If You Wear That Velvet Dress!*

what an awful question

I don't post here much but wanted to reply just because of another thread I created.

You know I hate having my picture taken. I don't find myseld attractive at all but that's probably the way most women feel. I am not vain in anyway. When I was younger I used to think I had it going on - mostly because I am petite in size, and has the best clubbing outfits and always seem to be with someone..in a relationship I mean.

I'm married with children, older and I hate that people take my picture. Naya posted a pic of me from the weekend and I so wanted to delete the damn thing..but I can't cause I didn't post it DAMN I hate when that happens.

But hey that's just me being human...ok there I've replied and now I'm going...bye...nice chatting with you all...it's nice to know I'm not the only one around who carries the same opinion of themselves..

Everyone tells me youa re beatiful in your own way. The way you carry yourself and the confidenc you have speak volumes for your beauty. yah OK whatever...

Re: what an awful question

WhackaMole said:
Everyone tells me youa re beatiful in your own way. The way you carry yourself and the confidenc you have speak volumes for your beauty. yah OK whatever...

:happy: But it's TRUE! I mean, if you walk around thinking, "Man, I'm ugly. Nobody likes me, blah blah, blah" you're going to be all depressed and you WON'T be beautiful. What seems to work for me is, I repeat "I am a goddess" over and over in my head and then I start to believe it and I smile and I'm totally confident in myself.

Yeah...Most of those models make me want to throw up. They look so incredibly unhealthy!

Like Bono's shades, in junior high and even most of high school I thought I was pretty hideous. It wasnt till after high school that my hair grew out and I learned how to do makeup and I felt better about myself. I've always been really skinny and I've always disliked my skinny legs and my lack of large breasts but I think I'm finally at a point where I can say that I'm pretty.

Although.. beauty isnt everything. :idea:

I was severely overweight most of my life, and I always had a really low self esteem. About a year and a half ago I decided that I couldn't live like that. There are overwight people who can lead happy and normal lives and decide to do so, I totally respect that. But that just didn't work for me. I have lost close to one hundred pounds, and I feel great. I don't want to be stick skinny, or anything like that, just to not have to worry so much about clothes fitting and such sort of stuff... buying clothes for a specific event used to be such a nightmare! Anyway, it's a great thing what has happened to me... as the months go by, I see features of my body I had never seen before and didn't even know existed! So, although some days are definitely better than others, I feel pretty for the first time in my life! :D

Hey guys, you are all gorgeous!

Here's me a few months ago:

attachment.php

Here's me some years ago:

Attachments

• katty25.jpg
    katty25.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 137
[color=royal blue]No, but I could beat you up o_O

If it's 14 and 15 yr old girls dieting you're concerned about, I feel yo pain. I went to an all girls high school fer four years and even though boys aren't there that doesn't prevent girls from comparing themselves to each other.

But the thing is that the whole eating disorder phenomenon....ok this is gonna sound cracked out but seriously-- I am quite a small person. Fast metabolism or what, I dunno, but all my life I've just been thin. And then it's really disgusting that several people, students and teachers alike (one teacher who even commented about it to me) would speculate if I had an eating disorder. Like it's become SUCH an issue that it's an automatic assumption. I just think that's retarded. I don't know how to explain it.

Also it's sad that the nation's weight problem (last time I checked, 50% of Americans were overweight) is not mainly an issue that gains attention for being health problem. It's become a matter of vanity...... which is bad.

WHAT THREAD AM I IN?

Well anyway. That's my speech about the weight thang.

Faces....you got the mug you got. If anyone complains, blame it on yer parents.

AND FURTHERMORE if there's somethin you don't like about yerself FIX IT. BC not everyone is born as pretty as Bono, and I'm not gonna say that if you have 80's hair or somethin you gotta keep it that way. You look the way you look but you might as well feel good about it.

People respond to how they read you, not just to how you look...... it's all confidence man. Does the Monita have confidence? I dunno......she's got something and it makes her talk in 3rd person.

OK WHAT THREAD AM I IN.

I could still beat you up o_O yeah you.
[/color]

MonaVox said:
[color=royal blue]
But the thing is that the whole eating disorder phenomenon....ok this is gonna sound cracked out but seriously-- I am quite a small person. Fast metabolism or what, I dunno, but all my life I've just been thin. And then it's really disgusting that several people, students and teachers alike (one teacher who even commented about it to me) would speculate if I had an eating disorder. Like it's become SUCH an issue that it's an automatic assumption. I just think that's retarded. I don't know how to explain it.
[/color]

I get so sick and tired of people telling me "oh my god you're SOO skinny! Do you eat?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have always been thin my whole life.. there is nothing I can do about it. I can eat like a pig and still wont gain weight.

I can beat you up first. :p

Back
Top Bottom