Do You think Bono approves of Madonnas Adoption?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vaz02 said:
Thats called abusing her position.

Im not looking at it that way. As someone said earlier: I child's life is going to be changed because of this. That's all we should be looking at.

partygirl43 said:

Thanks for the vote. I don't see how this is any lamer than 98.5% of the topics in ANY of the forums.

It doesn't really matter to me...I thought it might be a good topic, seeing how Bono is involved with Africa. Please forgive me for my stupidity.

Now I'll go compile my dream setlist for the PopMart Tour........

:lol:

It's ok PG43 - I think it's a good topic. :wave:

There's nothing wrong with speculating what Bono's opinion on Issue X is. I would imagine he approves of what Madonna's doing. I think she's catching a bum rap, she's doing something good and getting attacked for the usual reason--she's Madonna.

I think she's doing a very noble thing. I think anyone willing to adopt a child deserves respect, whether they are a celebrity or a middle class family. I'm not sure we have enough details about the boy's family situation to speculate whether or not she's "stealing" him or getting away with something she shouldn't be. I thought I read the father had commented that he decided it was best for the boy to be adopted and he hoped that someday the boy would be able to return and help his family and his country. Since Madonna obviously has unlimited financial resources, I think this is a good thing and pretty likely. My neighbor never married, so she adopted a baby girl from China. Now Kate is almost a teenager, and recently her mom took her back to China for several weeks because she was interested in learning about her culture and heritage. I'm not a Madonna fan, but she seems like a good mother and I doubt she'd be so selfish as to completely sever ties with the boy's family and not teach him about his heritage.

The Madonna thing reminds me of the orphanages we visited in northern Tanzania. Most of the kids were not orphans in the sense that they were abandoned or their parents were dead. Most of them had families that didn't have the resources to properly care for them, so they spend ten months of the year at the orphanage and receive good schooling and vocational training so they go back to their families with jobs. The families are encouraged to visit and can bring the kids home at any time.

Here's an answer to the question, from The Sydney Morning Herald:

Bono praises mother Madonna

November 5, 2006

ROCK superstar Bono has backed Madonna's controversial adoption of a needy African child, saying "I think it's really great".

The U2 singer, who is also perhaps the best-known anti-poverty campaigner in the world, has praised Madonna and her husband Guy Richie for the adoption of David Banda, a child from Malawi.

"I'm very happy that Madonna should offer succour and more than that to a young boy," Bono said. "He's got a great opportunity now."

Bono, who is in Australia for U2's Vertigo tour, revealed he and his wife were once offered an African child by a father desperate for his son to have a better life, but they were unable to take him home. Bono said the child, whose face haunts him to this day, is the reason he began campaigning for African poverty relief.

"One of the most profound moments I've had, one of the reasons I think I'm doing what I'm doing, was because in the 1980s I was working with my wife Ali in an orphanage in northern Ethiopia," he said.

"On the last day, a man came to me with me with his son and offered his son to me, by saying 'if you don't take my son, he will surely die. If you take him, you can give him a great life'.

"I could tell this man loved his son, he was a very noble-looking man, and it was ripping his heart to say this. And I didn't, I did not take that [boy].

"It was not the rules of engagement in the camp we were working in, we couldn't do that. It's strange, because I can't remember the boy's name, but I think about him all the time.

"Oddly enough, when people ask me 'why are you doing that' [the activism, the campaigning], his face comes back."

Bono said he and Ali had an emotional moment in their Dublin kitchen a few weeks ago, when prints from their first-ever African trip (which were being used for a new book) revealed a photo of the boy.

"I didn't know I even had a photograph of him," said Bono, who was openly emotional about the discovery of the picture.

"So I'm very happy that Madonna should offer succour and more than that to a young boy. He's got a great opportunity now.

"There's so many children in the world - there's really enough to go around."

Madonna has come under fire for taking the Malawi boy back to Britain. But the singer said she had been astounded by the criticism.

The support from Bono, who has an in-depth knowledge of African health and social issues, is a much-needed endorsement for the singer's actions.

Bono, who is due to perform at U2's opening Australian concert in Brisbane on Tuesday night, also revealed the band was planning a new album. "I think a U2 album will not be that far away, I hope," he said. "We've hit the vein, I think."

The band will release a collection of singles, which includes two new tracks, on November 18.

Like many Australians - and horse enthusiasts across the world - the Irishman will be watching the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday.

"I don't think I can get to the Cup, because it's a show day, which is really, really annoying," said Bono, with a laugh.

"But I will be watching it - this is the best horse race in the world. I'll have the various horse whisperers on the phone from back home telling me how I can lose my money."

I'd love to know what book Bono's photographs will be used for! I've never seen them but a few in wich Bono is posing in front of them, so I'd love to see them!

Thanks for the article Biff!

mkdominatr said:

Im not looking at it that way. As someone said earlier: I child's life is going to be changed because of this. That's all we should be looking at.

Well whats so wrong with going through the correct channels ? an adoption is an adoption.

Special treatment is due to staus is WRONG.

Im happy she adopted but i cant see why this adoption was rushed through.

vaz02 said:

Well whats so wrong with going through the correct channels ? an adoption is an adoption.

There was nothing rushed. She and Guy have been planning on adopting for 2 years, but they never told anyone because they felt it was a private matter as it should be. They had been wanting to adopt David specifically since April, and they've been working on plans since then. It should also be noted as Madonna has stated over and over (and shouldn't have to) that they have not "adopted" David yet. Like any other person/couple that adopts a child from Malawi, David will live with Guy and Madonna and their 2 children for 18 months during which time he will be monitored by a social worker to make sure he is being properly cared for. After that time, the adoption will or will not be granted. The term for what Madonna and Guy have now is "interim custody" I believe.

U2isthebest said:

There was nothing rushed. She and Guy have been planning on adopting for 2 years, but they never told anyone because they felt it was a private matter as it should be. They had been wanting to adopt David specifically since April, and they've been working on plans since then. It should also be noted as Madonna has stated over and over (and shouldn't have to) that they have not "adopted" David yet. Like any other person/couple that adopts a child from Malawi, David will live with Guy and Madonna and their 2 children for 18 months during which time he will be monitored by a social worker to make sure he is being properly cared for. After that time, the adoption will or will not be granted. The term for what Madonna and Guy have now is "interim custody" I believe.

Ok thx for info.

I say let Madonna and Guy and their family alone and let them all have their privacy and bond. Who cares if they chose to adopt and why....and who cares what anyone else thinks, including what Bono thinks? I doubt very highly Bono would oppose this.

vaz02 said:

Ok thx for info.

Not a problem! The media and the public in general is quick to harass and berate Madonna for anything she does (and it makes me extremely angry, but I won't go there. LOL). I just wanted to make sure people heard the real story from the woman herself, not the biased, money and attention hungry media.

vaz02 said:

Well, I agree with your middle statement there, but you honestly think that securing the life of a child is less important than overcoming special treatment of celebrities? Do you know anyone that's adopted a child? It can take years of paper work and tens of thousands of dollars. IMO, ALL adoptions should happen as quickly as Madonna's, not the other way around.

Anyway, it's not really any of our business, and the father of the child has stated it is his will he be adopted by Madonna. That should settle it.

Thanks for posting that article, biff. I'll never forget the look in Bono's eyes when I saw him tell the story of that boy.... I'm not a very emotional person, but when visiting some orphanages in Tanzania, walking away from those babies was excruciating.

Hey Lies! :wave: You're welcome.

I haven't been able to get either of your links to work for the last few days. (I was hoping to see your wedding pics.)

Beautiful pics, Lies. I love what you did with your hair, and the fact that your dress and your attendants' dresses were so simple, yet elegant. The back of your dress was a nice surprise as well, very pretty and feminine. Excellent choice! (And wow, Phil is TALL!)

Thanks! It was actually a dress suggested by an Interferencer (Iris) :lol:

And yeah, Phil is 6'4". Us Dutch are the tallest race in the world! :D

Back
Top Bottom