Discussion: are you a slave to fashion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I was just wondering how many people care a lot about fashion, what's in and what's out, and does it change the way you dress? Would you put away something you love if someone told you it was 'out?' Would you wear something you hated if it was 'in?' Would you drastically change your wardrobe or your hair to please other people? I'm just the opposite, I wear and do what I want, and I don't care what anybody thinks. If they don't like it, they don't have to look at me. I hate 'makeover' shows where somebody says 'my friend is really out of style and needs to be updated.' I mean, how rude! If they were really friends they would accept her like she is. If somebody turned me in to be 'made over' I'd tell them to kiss my ass. Any opinions or thoughts on this topic?

I usually buy my clothes at cheap places. I hate spending money on clothes, I really do. All I care is that I'm covered up and look decent enough to go out into public.

Well, I must confess I'm totally clueless about fashion... so I try to stick to the classics to avoid looking ridiculous. I won't buy clothes just because they're "in".

Me too Bonochick. Especially when it's cold, I just want to be warm! I buy what I can afford and what I like. I hated it when girls I went to high school with would pick on you for not wearing the 'right' clothes, or even if it looked just like theirs and it didn't come from the 'right' store in the mall or be the 'right' brand. I mean, that's just sooo dumb to me. Even if I hit the lotto big today, I'd never care about stuff like that!

I wear what I like.
Example: I hate capri pants, I think they're the god awful ugliest things in the world, and thusly never have wore them.
Though if I am going to something where I have to look classy I will find something I like and ask other people's opinions, since I have no concept of what goes together or not.
Example: The RARHOF thing and me asking people's opinions in The Thread.
I think having to buy things from the right store and paying a gazillion dollars for it is silly...
Example: My skirt I'm wearing was $9.99 and my shirt was $12, both on clearance, and I love them both to death. Mmm, clearance.

U2Kitten said:
I hated it when girls I went to high school with would pick on you for not wearing the 'right' clothes, or even if it looked just like theirs and it didn't come from the 'right' store in the mall or be the 'right' brand. I mean, that's just sooo dumb to me.

Ugh, I know what you mean. My family isn't exactly the richest family out there, so we don't buy a lot of fancy-schmancy, expensive clothes. A lot of clothes I have are hand-me-downs from my mom, or from your average store like KMart.

And at my old school, kids made so much fun of me for that-there were a lot of rich kids at my school, and they would make fun of me because I didn't wear the trendy clothes, like the Abercrombie & Fitch or Old Navy clothing or things like that. They made it seem like going to Goodwill to get clothing was a federal crime. Such snobs, I couldn't stand them.

Luckily that's not the case over here at my new school.

I am so far from being a slave to fashion. I have no clue as to what is "in" or "out", and I honestly could care less in the first place-like stated in this thread already, I just wear what's comfortable to me. If I like an outfit, and I can afford it, I'll buy it. I don't care what some fashion police-type people think or say.

Angela

I'm a thrift store junkie.

When I do buy new stuff it's from somewhere like Kohl's... name brand stuff I usually buy because it's well-made or because I like how it looks or something like that. I try not to have OLD NAVY or GAP or anything all over me becaue I don't like looking like a flag :|

You know what I hate? I hate when you've been dressing a certain way or wearing something forEVER but no one ever notices until someone famous makes it popular, and then you become associated with that person. I've had my little boy's boy scout shirt forever but every time I've worn it in the past like 2 months someone says I look like Avril Lavigne. :sad:

My background was in fashion but I have to say that I am by far no slave to fashion. I dress to please myself and for comfort and ease. It doesnt matter where what I buy comes from as long as I like it. I am open to offering advice when asked but would never tell someone they needed to change. If they like their style then that's fine by me. I am aware of trends but dont buy into them because in my opinion it's not smart to spend money on something you wont wear in a few months.

My clothing philosophy is that anything I buy I have to be able to wear with either jeans or a basic white or black tank or tee. I live in jeans, tees, sweaters and leather jackets. I do confess to loving cool jewelry and accessories though.

A long time ago I was going out and had on an outfit that my mom didnt like at all and was ranting and raving about it and my dad made the comment "Well you're not the one wearing it now are you?" Ever since then if anyone makes any comments I will usually tell them that same thing. By the way there is no way I would be caught dead wearing what I had on that night now!

Who goes out and buys and wears the "fashion" as fashion shows? I see footage on E! or something like that and it's never pretty! What gives?!!

I have TONS of clothes (2 closets, a HUGE dresser, a big tupperware storage thing, and a pile that I can't fit anywhere :reject: ), but I just buy things I like that are cheap. I hate hate HATE clothes with logos on them or the Louis Vitton purses with the hideous brown and tan symbols all over them. :yuck: I like my fun clothes (jeans [I think I have about fifteen pairs now :shifty:], flowy-sleeved shirts, etc.), but I hate most of my work clothes and know people probably think I dress horribly.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wear what I'm comfortable in. :shrug:

Same here!!

My fashion motto: Comfort, Sexy, Style!!

See if I am comfortable then I will be sexy bc i feel good. Style is my own unique thing bc I dont wear things to be hip.
:happy:

MonaVox said:
Who goes out and buys and wears the "fashion" as fashion shows? I see footage on E! or something like that and it's never pretty! What gives?!!

The key word is show for these designers...to me all they want to do is get people's attention so they will remember their name and then go out and buy the perfume etc.

I like the idea of basic pieces with a little something unique added. I found a really cool handmade leather cuff bracelet with my name on that I had when I was a little girl. It still fits so I wore it to work with jeans and tee and everybody loved it. The same thing with my charm bracelet. Now everybody wants those.

What I am wearing right now:

Black boots from thrift store ($9)

UBER WARM Black knee socks (from Hot Topic), and with a pair of ghost socks over them for extra uber warmth (from my mom as a Halloween present :tongue:), (about $5 total probably)

Black pants from Kohl's (about $16)

Black web Belt from Hot Topic (on SALE! $2.99)

white guy's Jockey undershirt (prob about $3)

black Gap sweater from thrift store ($2.95)

Gold/black fake-me-out-leather Limited Too jacket from thrift store ($4)

OK I just realized I'm like all black today :lol: But seriously...the most expensive thing I'm weairng right now is my pants. Pants are durable. These pants will last me awhile. Except they have a tendency to un-zip themselves... none of my other pants from Kohl's do that :eek: :shifty:.... anyway.

me:
blue shiny pajama pants (meijer, half off w/top $7.99)
black t-shirt with a giant iguana on it that my mom bought me uh... eight or nine years ago
sparkly underwear (kohl's, $2.50)
blue hooded sweatshirt that's a million years old with various colors of paint and floor adhesive on it cos I'm cold

Ok currently wearing-
Old Navy ultra low rise jeans-any kind of pants or skirt have to sit below the belly button-comfort factor not to show off the belly- 5 bucks from warehouse sale

Bright pink cashmere socks from Banana Republic- $1 from same warehouse sale

White tee with a pink heart that says love-old have had for years

Underwear that came in a set that has sayings on them-todays saying is I am independent-Set of 5 were marked down at Gap for 6.99

Leather bracelet mentioned in previous post and silver prayer ring with celtic knot symbol on it.

:reject:
Everything I am wearing is Gap except my pajama bottoms; they are from the Disney store about 5 years ago...

I'm not a slave to fashion in any other way except it pays for my car. When I was working at Gap and GapBody, I was sadly the one marking things down to 6.99 and thinking, Hey, with my discount, these pants are less than $5...I'll buy three pairs! Or they would hand me a coupon and say, "Here's a pair of jeans for $15!" Now that I am at GapKids and far away from temptation (I have to cross the street to look at clothes my size!), I am content with my three pairs of low-rise bootcut jeans (gotta have that under-the -belly button thing!) and two wool sweaters. If I buy anything, it's because it's cheap and comfortable, not because it's fashion.
Proof: My current favorite pair of shoes is a cheap-looking pair of Easy Spirit slip-ons. No heels, nothing. My feet don't hurt at the end of the day, and I can climb ladders without breaking my neck. What more do I want in life?

I wear whatever makes my bum and chest look good. oh yeah, slimming clothes help too.

I find that most clothes in stores, are made for size 0 chicks who have no bum, no nothing. :mad:

Last edited:
I LOVE FASHION!!. I have loved fashion since I was a little girl . I studied fashion design in collage and I have a degree in Fashion Marketing. I read Vogue, Bazaar, Elle, well just about every fashion mag i can get my hands on :yes: and I know about every designer on the planet. I have so much clothes I dont know where to put them anymore. So I guess that makes me a slave to fashion. But I hate trends. I try to buy clothes that I know I can wear 2yrs from now and classic pieces are a must in every wardrobe, you cant go wrong with a white T's and white cotton button down shirts.

And about those makeover shows:
When i see makeover shows its usually somebodies mother who has been wearing the same clothes since the early 80's and a Farrah Fawset hairdo, or some mothers teenage daughter that dresses like a hooch and the mother cant stand it. I believe that a person should wear what they are comfortable in but I also believe that they should look modern. And when these people get made over they always end up loving their new selves. Getting a new hairdo and new more modern clothes can be a real self-esteem booster for alot of people.

Kariann said:
I am open to offering advice when asked but would never tell someone they needed to change. If they like their style then that's fine by me.

Exactly.

Originally posted by Kariann
I am aware of trends but dont buy into them because in my opinion it's not smart to spend money on something you wont wear in a few months.

Good point.

Originally posted by Kariann
A long time ago I was going out and had on an outfit that my mom didnt like at all and was ranting and raving about it and my dad made the comment "Well you're not the one wearing it now are you?" Ever since then if anyone makes any comments I will usually tell them that same thing.

My feelings exactly.

My mom has made comments about my clothing before as well, and I say the same thing to her.

I mean, yeah, there's certain things I'll see people wear that I personally do not care for, like when people wear a certain dress or have various accessories like tongue rings or nose rings that I personally would never dream of wearing.

But I always figure, you know what, it's their body, they are the ones who chose to wear that outfit, they're gonna be the ones who'll have to deal with whatever people say about it, not me, and as long as they like what they're wearing...fine.

Angela

i'm not in the least bit worried about what i wear. never have been. got picked on in school (elementary and middle school mostly) for it, but it's definetly worth it--cheaper, and more comfortable.

i'm still wearing my pyjamas...it's a pair of shorts i've had forever, i'm not sure where i got them or how much they cost...and a thermal long underwear shirt...a dropkick murpyhs tee shirt gets thrown over the thermal thingie and i find a pair of really ordinary looking jeans when i feel the need to get dressed (like realy soon).

Last edited:
I dont understand how some people at my school can wear tank tops and stuff in the winter... when they do, i'm all... "aren't you cold??? they look at me like i'm the crazy one.:grumpy: :coocoo:

Last edited:
me: Blue tights
Blue jumper
Blue tie witth yellow fleru de lys
Blus skirt
Black shoes
White Shirt

All expensive its my school uniform :crack:

I'm wearing what I feel comfortable in. :shrug:

Sometimes I go buy stuff just for the sake of being 'out'. :rolleyes: Like my 80s button down shirt.....my combat boots with high heels....my strange gothic shirt....hehe.....

I don't like being 'in' cos it would be too expensive and my entire taste in music and stuff also isn't 'in' - so screw it! :D

madamc said:
I wear whatever makes my bum and chest look good. oh yeah, slimming clothes help too.

I find that most clothes in stores, are made for size 0 chicks who have no bum, no nothing. :mad:

:huh: I'm not a big person. I'm a size 9 but everyone thinks I'm like a size 3. I don't understand. Is our perception that warped? I take care of myself, but I'm not a stick...

Back
Top Bottom