Did U2 play live at the '97 MTV Awards??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishThunder

The Fly
I have just watched a re-run of the 97 MTV awards where U2 won Best live act. But I swore beforehand that U2 played live at the awards but it was not shown on the re-run. The spice girls, aerosmith , Cool J and others was shown and it was a full 2 hour show.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought U2 were the opening act, Bono did like a boxing theme for coming on stage in a hooded garment.

Please put me out of my misery, did U2 play live or am I going off on one again???

Thanks

P.s If so why would MTV cut their part and do you think any of the guys will be at this years awards??

I never saw the 1997 VMAs, but I recently saw an MTV special on the VMAs and they showed a montage of live performances from over the years - and there were U2 with Bono in a hood. It was a very short clip, but I could tell it was from the PopMart era, so it had to have been from the 1997 VMAs.

They played MOFO at the 1997 EMAs, and Please at the MTV awards .

I don't know if this year they are going to the EMAs, but I wish so. I'm going to the show, so it would be the most wonderful thing for me to see any of the guys onstage receiving an award. I read somewhere Cecilia Coffey said they were not going, but I also read Bono may go to receive an award, so I don't know! Maybe he has won the free your mind award again? :confused:

yes............the 97's MTV awards..........."PLEASE" live..............
didn't they guys say that was their worst performace ever?!?!
*I think I heard that.........I could be wrong*

Mr_LeMon said:
Ali said it was the worst performance

LOL, I remember reading that and looking everywhere for that performance. I dunno, I guess it wasn't so bad as long as you're ok with Bono looking like an angel of death in that black hood :tongue:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

LOL, I remember reading that and looking everywhere for that performance. I dunno, I guess it wasn't so bad as long as you're ok with Bono looking like an angel of death in that black hood :tongue:

The host said Bono looked like the Unabomber. :uhoh:

That's my boyfriend's favorite version of "Please"

I wasn't into U2 in '97.

Screw me...... :(

I enjoyed the performance at the 97 vma's. It was emotional being shortly after Princess Diana passed away. :(

I forgot to say the European MTV awards, Ronan Keating presented it in '97. That was the show I watched yesterday but it cut out U2's performance for some odd reason.

Back
Top Bottom