Daddy Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:
uploaded the interview:

http://s37.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=2O19ELXFMGU020ZI8Z7365NVJ8

I hope it works :reject: , it's really cute :)

I just tried to download this, but was told "the connection to the server has been reset", whatever that means. I used to have this interview but lost it (and everything else) when my computer died last year. I'd love to hear it again, it was so funny and touching. Would anyone be kind enough to re-post it, or send it to me at biffers@gmail.com? Thanks!!!

I think this one is really cute, too.

bonoalieli7mm.jpg

kellyahern said:
I sent e-mails to biff and rccj :wave:

I hope it works okay :reject:

Merc, I tried e-mailing it to you but the files too big :(

Here's a new link:

http://s37.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RTLYRUWTLVU42R30WIPN3SI1M

Hopefully, this one will work :reject:

That worked for me, Kelly. Thanks so much! :wave:

By the way, does anyone remember another interview on the same topic, but much more detailed? Bono went on about how he got home on the day the baby was due, but the baby had other plans. Three nights passed, and still no baby, so Ali decided to watch a super violent film because she always has a visceral reaction to such films. And sure enough, a short while later she went into labour. There was a really funny bit where Ali had left the room where the movie was playing, because she'd had enough, and Bono eventually followed to the bedroom, where he found her sitting on the bed applying a facial mask.
He described her as putting on "war paint", and saying he thought that might be going a bit far. I can't be imagining this. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

I have never been able to access any of the you send it links... is there a programme I should have downloaded? :reject:

Never mind, I found it! From Hot Press, the 2002 Annual Issue:

Niall Stokes: "Can you tell me about the role of Chopper in the birth of John?"

"That was Ali's idea. I just got back from Chicago and everything was...she had a very cool aura about her as usual, not particularly bothered. The worry then started that I'd actually have to go back before the baby was born. So she suggested a scary movie and Chopper is a film made by a friend of ours. Ali doesn't like violent movies. In fact she often becomes violent at them. She bit me once during Scarface. She literally bit my shoulder and I had to leave! When we go to the movies together we don't always agree on what one. But she was up for it this time. So we put on Chopper and halfway through it she did disappear. And I went upstairs and I found her sitting on the bed with white warpaint on and I thought, "This is a bit much." But in fact she'd put a facepack on and I said, "Are you OK?" and she said, "No, it's started now," and I said, "Well, the movie worked then." And I said, "What do we do now?" and she said, "Look, it's going to be hours and hours, you should get some sleep." So I went to bed for an hour or so at about 2 in the morning. So at about four o'clock she woke me up, calm as usual, and said, "I think it's time to go." So I got out of bed and got everything organised and fired up the car and she came down and got in and we were driving along to the hospital, Mount Carmel, and she just quietly turned and said, "I think we should start breaking the lights now." Now Ali is very Protestant. She has a great respect for the law (laughs). So I put my foot on the pedal and 20 minutes after we arrived in the hospital she gave birth.

It's a fantastic moment, the first sight of a new kid, isn't it?
He looked like somebody familiar. He looked like a doorman I know in a London club! He immediately had a hard head, shaped like a bullet. He did look like a thug and that is why we called him John, as in "alright John"!"

"Did you fight over the name?"

"No, because John also has other connotations in the family. A man called Jack is a kind of hero of mine, and there's other people I know. And he's my favourite apostle as well. He was the one who was more poetic of that lot. He was a very interesting guy."

I wouldn't be surprised that the "Jack" he's referring to is Jack Heaslip, the man who was his guidance counselor at school, and then became a Protestant minister. He officiated at Bono and Ali's marriage, and has had a long association with the band. He's been referred to as Bono's "pastor", and has been on the road with them. (How many bands take a minister on tour with them?)

kellyahern said:
Merc, I tried e-mailing it to you but the files too big :(

Here's a new link:

http://s37.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RTLYRUWTLVU42R30WIPN3SI1M

Hopefully, this one will work :reject:

Still isn't working, but thanks for trying Kelly! :hug:

Great story from Hot Press, biff! :giggle: :up:

Great looking family. Poor Bono, he has 2 beautiful daughters who will have all the boys fawning over them. But can you imagine having to go over to meet their dad if you were dating one of his daughters? Sheesh, dads are intimidating enough without being rock superstars and world activists.

Last edited:
biff said:
Never mind, I found it! From Hot Press, the 2002 Annual Issue:

Niall Stokes: "Can you tell me about the role of Chopper in the birth of John?"

"That was Ali's idea. I just got back from Chicago and everything was...she had a very cool aura about her as usual, not particularly bothered. The worry then started that I'd actually have to go back before the baby was born. So she suggested a scary movie and Chopper is a film made by a friend of ours. Ali doesn't like violent movies. In fact she often becomes violent at them. She bit me once during Scarface. She literally bit my shoulder and I had to leave! When we go to the movies together we don't always agree on what one. But she was up for it this time. So we put on Chopper and halfway through it she did disappear. And I went upstairs and I found her sitting on the bed with white warpaint on and I thought, "This is a bit much." But in fact she'd put a facepack on and I said, "Are you OK?" and she said, "No, it's started now," and I said, "Well, the movie worked then." And I said, "What do we do now?" and she said, "Look, it's going to be hours and hours, you should get some sleep." So I went to bed for an hour or so at about 2 in the morning. So at about four o'clock she woke me up, calm as usual, and said, "I think it's time to go." So I got out of bed and got everything organised and fired up the car and she came down and got in and we were driving along to the hospital, Mount Carmel, and she just quietly turned and said, "I think we should start breaking the lights now." Now Ali is very Protestant. She has a great respect for the law (laughs). So I put my foot on the pedal and 20 minutes after we arrived in the hospital she gave birth.

It's a fantastic moment, the first sight of a new kid, isn't it?
He looked like somebody familiar. He looked like a doorman I know in a London club! He immediately had a hard head, shaped like a bullet. He did look like a thug and that is why we called him John, as in "alright John"!"

"Did you fight over the name?"

"No, because John also has other connotations in the family. A man called Jack is a kind of hero of mine, and there's other people I know. And he's my favourite apostle as well. He was the one who was more poetic of that lot. He was a very interesting guy."

I wouldn't be surprised that the "Jack" he's referring to is Jack Heaslip, the man who was his guidance counselor at school, and then became a Protestant minister. He officiated at Bono and Ali's marriage, and has had a long association with the band. He's been referred to as Bono's "pastor", and has been on the road with them. (How many bands take a minister on tour with them?)

Thank you so much for posting that biff! Aw I love reading Daddy Bono stories :love:

BassTrap82 said:
Godsamme ik zit alweer met m'n hand in m'n broek hoor, bij het zien van die foto's, wat jij Leetah?!? :wink: :eeklaugh: :laugh:

This is the absolute last time I am warning you about your posts on this board. Next time you're gone. I dont care what language you say things in, its still wrong.

FlyYourKite said:
"Nurses are the most extraordinary people on earth anyway" :drool: oh Bono, that was a shotout to moi!
Hmmm - Has anyone ever tried going to a show dressed as a nurse to see if Bono will pull them up on stage?

Zootomic said:

Hmmm - Has anyone ever tried going to a show dressed as a nurse to see if Bono will pull them up on stage?

Oh wow you may have just given me my pulled-up-onstage idea. And it would be free too since I already have the scrubs, hat, stethescope, etc. Hmmm ideas ideas...:wink:

I saw Ali, Jordan and possibly Eve from my seats on May 10 - alll very beautiful bopping along with the music - it was very sweet

Back
Top Bottom