Cute Bono in Dublin story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FloridaFan

New Yorker
Found this on another web site. Don't know if it's true or not, but definitely could've happened based on how it sounds and is definitely worth a read. It was on U2Mart.com

Bono's brush with the law!
by Gerry H --- Posted 09/2005

I am a police officer stationed just outside dublin city and a massive u2 fan . a couple of weeks after how to dismantle was released I was working nights and as things were very quiet we decided to go into the city to see what was happening. it was about four o clock in the morning and it had been raining heavily . As we drove down dame street the student sitting in the back shouts "there's bono" knowing that I was a u2 fan . Presuming He was joking I kept driving until Fitzy who was in the passenger seat says "It bloody is" . I spun the car around and made a beeline for the two darkly dressed males who walked down a laneway beside apache pizza which is a one-way street .I blasted down the street with rubbish bags which had been left out by nearby cafes and hotels exploding all over the place .I hit the breaks and skidded down the wet cobble stones . One of the men (Guggi)jumps to the side of the laneway for safety but the other man stands fast . A quick glance reveals the student was right . there stood bono , black jacket and shades , drunk to say the least . I lowered the far window and he leans over and says " gentlemen , you realize this is a one way street " then he steps back and realizes its a police car and continues " oh ! you probably dont give a f___k" then he smiled and says "if I were ye I wouldnt give a fuck anyway" as he turns to guggi for a laugh which does'nt arrive . guggi looks very apprehensive at the police presence - must have had a run in with the law at some point . at this point my heart was pounding with the presence of the great man . older looking than I thought and certainly shorter I stuck my hand out towards the intoxicated rockstar . "great to meet you chief" I said in a dublin accent which surprised bono as most police in Ireland are from the country and speak with various country accents . "your a dub" he says with a smile . "correct" I said as proud as punch . "nice to meet ya bono" says Fitzy in the passengers seat in a thick country accent as he shakes the hand that rocks the world . "oh" says bono as he smiles " your not a dub" - "dont worry about it" he says . I turn up the cd player in the car which had gently been playing "mirical drug" but the drunken singer never even noticed his own work . bono turns to guggi and realizing they are missing a member of their party says to his mate " where the fuck is gavin friday?" . Guggi gives a shrug of the shoulders in answer so bono turns to the patrol car and says "lads , your the police , help me , where the f___k is gavin friday ?" and Fitzy turns back and says as dead-pan as ever ....... "Bono my man ! ............ WHO the fuck is gavin friday" . the rock star says nothing and then bursts into laughter and as he stumbles off into the darkness towards the back of the clarence hotel I can overhear him telling guggi " wait until I tell gavin about this" .thoughts of bono texting gavin friday about the police man who didnt know who the f___k he was make the last two hours of the night-shift a humerous affair.

"

All content © 2001 - 2006 Bremer Enterprises

I guess he worked outside Dublin city and also the guy he was with "Fitzy" who said "who the **ck is Gavin Friday?" wasn't a U2 fan nor was he from Dublin so he may just not have known who GF was.

Oh believe me, loads of people in Dublin have given me the "Who the fuck is Gavin Friday" line over the past few years. :wink:
Of course, I couldn't help myself and had to enlight those poor eejits! :lol:

Galeongirl said:

:lmao: Why do you ALWAYS hear this when people meet him...

surely a funny story! thanks for posting... but.. why does the cop dude live in dublin and NOT know Gavin? :scratch:

Because Bono's an effin' leprechaun, man. :lmao:

I love how he manages to get the F word into nearly every sentance. Drunk Bono :heart:

JCOSTER said:
Now why can't one of us just happen to bump into him!!!!:sad:
:angel: That's God's way of protecting B from what some over zealous PLEBAns might do to him in his drunken, helpless state. :evil: :censored:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

U2FloridaFan said:
says " gentlemen , you realize this is a one way street " then he steps back and realizes its a police car and continues " oh ! you probably dont give a f___k" then he smiled and says "if I were ye I wouldnt give a fuck anyway"

"lads , your the police , help me , where the f___k is gavin friday ?" and Fitzy turns back and says as dead-pan as ever ....... "Bono my man ! ............ WHO the fuck is gavin friday" . the rock star says nothing and then bursts into laughter and as he stumbles off into the darkness towards the back of the clarence hotel I can overhear him telling guggi " wait until I tell gavin about this" .

It would have been hilarious to see this on video. Bono, drunk, telling a cop he's going the wrong way, and then realizing it. I wonder how big his eyes opened when he realized he was talking to a cop. And Guggi just standing there, scared stiff. Just picturing the whole event in my mind ....... :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom