Craving for love - chapter 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susannag75

The Fly
Disclaimer: Don't know them, don't make money from it, it's all my imagination's work...

Rating: PG-13 for situations

Hope you enjoy that!

Craving for love - Chapter 8

Adam stepped back from the window and let the curtains fall back to their place.
He had been awaken by a car stopping, and had come down to see who it was. He had not noticed that Melissa was not at home when he had come back, drunk as usual. He was still pissed, and seeing the girl coming out of Ali’s car caused anger to rise inside him.
Why was she with Ali? She must have been out since this morning… Bono… probably he told her… I must deny everything…

Melissa entered the house and was very surprised to find Adam just in front of her.
“Hello… you got up early today.” She said, smiling.

“Where have you been?” he asked, sounding annoyed.

“Ali needed someone who could look after John for a while, so I went down to help her… I thought you wouldn’t have a problem with that…” She answered, in a sweet tone. She was eager to tell him the news, and wanted him to be in a good mood for that.

“You thought wrong, then. Why didn’t you ask me? I’d prefer you to stay here and wait for me than go around babysitting. They can afford a babysitter can’t they?” Adam’s voice volume was rapidly rising.

“Oh, well I’m sorry. I won’t do that again. Would you like something to eat? We can sit down and have some… breakfast together…” she would rather say dinner but looking at Adam still in his pyjama, it seemed better to say. “And, I’ve got news for you…” she added, kissing him fondly on his cheek.

“I just can imagine what kind of news you have. Who did tell you that news? Bono himself? Or did he let Ali do the job for him?” He pulled her away from him. Anger rendered him blind.

“Adam, I can’t understand… What about Bono? I haven’t even seen him!”

“Listen, I don’t care anymore whom you see or don’t see. I can perfectly go on in my life without you being around. I don’t need anybody, let alone someone who prefers anyone else’s company to mine.”

“What are you saying? You know I wouldn’t prefer anybody to you… Adam, I’m sorry… Really, I am. Let’s sit down and talk about this… please…” her eyes filled with tears, and she grabbed Adam’s arm with both of her hands.

“Don’t even think you can fool me with such a drama. Keep your tears for something else.” Adam spoke in a sharp and cold tone.

“I’m not trying to fool anyone. You know I love you… please, tell me what happened… Why are you getting on like this with me? What was wrong?” she asked, sobbing now, tears shed all over her face.

“Everything was wrong. Everything IS wrong.” He shouted.
For a moment, a total silence was in the room. Melissa stared at him in a shock for his words, and Adam tried to regain his composure.
“Now, let me go out. And please, try to pack your things and be out of there by next week.” He said, without looking at her. “Let me go now, I told you.”

Melissa could not believe her ears. She felt like she was in a nightmare. She saw the whole room turning around her in a sort of a vortex and she stretched the grip on Adam’s arm.

“Didn’t you hear me? Let me go. You’re hurting me.” He said again. Melissa could not listen to him anymore. Her ears were ringing, and she could only see blurred shapes in front of her.

Taken in his rage, Adam did not understand she was going to faint, and pushed her away, running out of the house without even looking back.

Melissa fell back on the floor hitting some furniture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So you say she’s… Oh my… I didn’t expect that. Does he know? No, he’s not here. Yes, I’ll check it, darling. Thank you.” Bono put his mobile phone back in his pocket. He sat on a chair and looked at Edge, who was reading a book on the couch in the studio.
He couldn’t be calm after hearing the news from Ali.
He picked casually Edge on his arm, causing only a glance in his direction; then he got up and started walking up and down the room.
Edge looked up at him with a meaning look.
Eventually, he sat on a chair and rocked it back and forth making considerable noise.
His friend closed his book with a sigh, put it down on the sofa beside him, moved a little forward with his head, crossing his hands in his lap.

“So, what’s up?” he asked, tapping with his foot on the floor.

“What? Oh, sorry… did I bother your reading? I didn’t realize that…” he answered, pretending to be surprised.

“You teaser. What’s the matter? Answer before I get back to my book, and I won’t put it down another time, be warned.”

“I’m worried. Ali just told me that Melissa is pregnant.” He said.

“Melissa? Do you mean … Adam’s girlfriend?” he answered, suddenly forgetting about his book.

“Yes, I mean her. Ali said she called to hear how Adam took the news, but nobody’s answering the phone… She hoped they were here…” He said, letting himself fall on the couch and throwing the book on the floor. He laid there, his hands on the back of his stretched head. “I would ask you to come with me and check on them, but you’d say I have to let them alone and such shit…” he added, waiting for his friend’s reaction.

Edge shook his head, smiled at him and threw his jacket on his face.
“Ok, get ready. Let’s go and see if everything’s all right.”

“Thanks Edge!” he said, jumping up from the couch.

They got to Adam’s house, and rang the bell. No answer came.

“Adam’s car’s parked in the back” Edge said.

“Edge, I have a strange feeling. Let’s get in.”

“We should only use our keys in an emergency, Bono…”

“If they’re not in, we won’t harm… Edge…” he had a scared look in his eyes, and Edge started be worried himself.

“OK, let’s open that door. Give me those keys, your hands are shaking… it will take you years… you’ll see, it is all your imagination.” Edge opened the door and Bono entered first.

“Adam…” he started to talk, but his voice stopped in his throat at the sight of Melissa on the floor. She was lying still, terribly pale. Bono was in a shock. “Edge… she…” he said, unable to speak out a sentence.

Edge passed past Bono and tried to check what was wrong crouching next to the girl.
“Bono, there’s some blood… call an ambulance… Bono… will you just hurry up?” he shouted.

:ohmy: Ohhh, I hope Melissa is alright!!! What has gotten into Adam?:scratch: MORE MORE, please:hyper:

I just read (and re-read) the previous chapters, and it's so intruiging! Can't wait for the next chapter! I hope Melissa is all right.

Souly said:
I thought Adam was really OOC and that there was an overuse of the ellipsis.

Thanks for reading and for your comment...
About Adam, I was trying to describe him as someone would be when under the effects of heavy drinking, therefore it was meant to be not his true self.
About the overuse of ellipsis, I am not an English mothertongue, so style is not my strong point, but I'll try to control my writing with more attention!
Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Susanna

Back
Top Bottom