Cover Me Chapter 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
DISCLAIMER: I don't know U2. I don't own them either.

Sorry this took so long but I have a couple of ways this could go and I've been trying to decide which way worked better. That and I've been a little busy with my real life.

anyway, on with the story.......

Cover Me Chap 9

“I really hate hospitals” I said to the room in general. After two days of being in bed I was ready to kill someone. Bono, Edge and Kat were keeping me company. Actually I think they were just trying to keep me from leaving on my own which I threatened to do earlier.

“It won't be much longer love. You’ll be out of here soon” Bono said.

I just glare at him. Then I think maybe I can sweet-talk him into letting me leave.

I give him the most flirtatious smile I knew how to do.

“Don’t you think I’d be better recuperating at home? Sleeping in my own bed. In your arms.” I say. I can tell that Bono is seriously considering it. Mama then comes into the room.

“Are you trying to talk him into letting you leave Margaret Melissa Waters?” I actually feel like I’m 12 years old again when she calls me by my full name like that.

“No mamma.” I said. “I just really don’t want to be here anymore. I’m bored and I would like to see what’s left of my car and I really really want to go after the bit…I mean person who did this to me. Any leads on that Kat?”

“They think your accident and the break-in are linked. Personally, I think it’s the stalker. I think she’s focused on you because you have what she wants. Which is Bono. I think you’re better off staying in the hospital because she can’t get to you with all the cops here.” Kat said. “I also think that I don’t want to ever get a phone call saying your injured ever again and if you think I’m going to let you go get yourself killed you have another thing coming.”

I glare at Kat.

The doctor comes into the room. He looks up and seems startled to see all the people in the room. “Your x-rays look good and I am pleased with how quickly you’ve recovered from the concussion so I’m going to let you go”

I jump out of bed and almost kiss the doctor. The nurse brings a wheel chair so take me to the front door and Bono takes my bag and we leave. When we get to the door I see the most beautiful thing in the world. It’s a black Mustang with a red stripe that ends on the hood of the car and turns into the Vertigo logo. I just look at it with my mouth hanging open.

“whose car is this?” I ask.

“It’s yours Mags. “ said Bono.

I just turn and look at him.

“You bought me a car.” I said. I’m not sure how I feel about him buying me a car. I never think of him in terms of how much money he has.

“I know how much you loved your other car and I wanted to do something for you because of how much you are doing for us.” Bono said. “This is from both Edge and I.”

I don’t know how to react. No one has ever given me anything like this before. Bono then lifts me out of the wheel chair and puts me into the passenger side of the car. It has a black interior with red stitching. I look into Bono’s face and see the apprehension in his eyes. He really wants me to like it.

“I love the car Bono. I really don’t know what to say. No one has ever done anything like this for me before.” I say. He smiles at me.

“Bono, I think you should have the pleasure of driving it since I can’t.” I grin evilly at him.

I look over at Kat and Edge. They’ve put mama into a cab. “You two can follow us in Kat’s car.”

They give each other a this-isn’t-a-good-idea look. I put on my seat-belt as Bono gets into the driver’s side. I take my sunglasses out of my bag and put them on. Bono has his blue shades on. He turns on the ignition.

“Try to keep up with us eh” I say to Kat with a big grin.

Bono then puts his foot down and we take off. I laugh as I see Edge and Kat scramble to get into her car and follow us.

“Let’s see what this baby can do Bono!” I say with a big smile.

After the last couple of days being cooped up in the hospital it feels really good to be out in the open air with the sun beating down on my face. I look over and see the smile on Bono’s face. We get onto the freeway and Bono floors it. After a few miles I see flashing lights behind us.

“Shit! Pull over Bono.” I say.

The cop car pulls behind us and I see an officer swagger up to the car.

“Licence and Registration please.” He says without looking at us.

Bono hands over his licence and the cop looks at it.

“Paul Hewson. Are you aware of the speed limit on the freeway Paul?” He asks.

“Yes sir. I’m sorry sir, I wasn’t aware that I was speeding.” Bono said. I try not to snort.

“Can I see your Identification Miss?” He asks me. I hand over my badge.

“Detective Waters. I’m sorry I didn’t realize this was an un-marked car.” He said to me. He hands our ID back to us.

“That’s ok officer, it’s new.” I say. “I haven’t had time to put the tags on it yet.”

The officer lets us go and we carry on. I look in the rear view mirror and I don’t see Mags and Edge.

“I don’t think there’s any need to mention this to anyone.” I say. “wouldn’t you agree Bono?”

“Definitely. Edge doesn’t need yet another reason to nag me about my driving.” He looks at me and grins.

We get back to mamma’s house without further incident. Bono comes over to my side and lifts me up again.

“I can walk you know” I say to him.

“I know. This is more fun.” He looks at me and gives me his sexy smile.

He takes me into the house and puts me on the sofa. Mamma starts fussing and I just roll my eyes at Bono behind her back. I start to get sleepy from the medication I am taking and I stretch out and sleep for awhile. When I wake up I look around and see that Bono is reading one of my Nora’s. Edge and Kat are no where to be seen and I hear mamma in the kitchen. I get up and feel a little woozy. Bono sees me and comes over to help me. He puts his arms around me to hold me steady. I hear him take a shaky breath. I look up to see his face.

“You ok?” I ask him.

He just tightens his arms around me.

“You gave us quite a scare love. I’m just glad you’re ok.” He says in a quiet voice.

I tighten my arms around his waist and we just hold each other for a while. This is the one place I feel completely safe. I don’t hear mamma come into the living room. She stands there and watches us for a few minutes. She smiles and quietly goes back to the kitchen.

Edge and Kat come in from outside. Bono and I jump at the sound and I end up falling back onto the sofa. I start laughing. Mamma comes in to see what the noise is all about.

“Baby-girl, are you up to eating some supper?” She asks me.

“Yeah, I’ll sit at the table mamma.” I said

Bono helps me over to the table and I sit down. Mamma has made my favourite. Cannelloni. We eat supper and after we sit in the living room and Edge has found a guitar from somewhere and he just starts playing. He goes into the song Stay and Bono sings. I just close my eyes and listen to his voice. I don’t realize that I’m falling asleep until I feel Bono lifting me into his arms to take me up to bed. I say goodnight to everyone as we go up the stairs. I lean my head on his shoulder and try not to go to sleep. I feel him putting me on my bed and he takes off my shoes and socks. I hear him doing the same and he slides into bed beside me.

“I hated sleeping without you.” I say half-asleep, not really knowing what I’m saying.

“It’s ok love,” he says in a low voice. “I’m here now.”

He wraps his arms around me and watches me sleep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom