Cover Me Chapter 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
DISCLAIMER: I don’t know U2 (Dammit). I don’t own U2.

I put this from Bono’s POV for a couple of reasons. Edge and Bono needed to have a conversation without Mags or Kat around. The other is that it was difficult to write from Mag’s POV when she wasn’t conscious.

I hope like it.

Cover Me Chap 8

Bono started to get restless.

“How long can it take to have a baby?” He wondered to himself. He then remembered when Larry’s girlfriend Ann had their first baby. That took a long time too.

He wandered over to the kitchen and looked in the fridge. He closed the door without taking anything out. He stretched out on Mag’s bed but couldn’t sleep. He looked over and saw Mag’s laptop sitting on the table.

“Maybe I can kill some time on the internet.” He thought to himself.

He turned it on and it asked for a password. He didn’t have a clue as to what it could have been. He clicked on the hint button. All it said was “Bono is…..”

“This can’t be too hard.” He thought to himself. “let’s try….short. Nope. Ummm…Irish. Nope. Maybe I should try to think like a girl. Handsome…nope. I know, sexy. There we go. Let’s see what she has on her computer. What’s this? U2 pics. Let’s try that folder. Ok, Bono sexy pics. I’ll just click on that. Oh god, I should shoot the person who told me my hair looked good like that. Aww…look at baby Larry. He was so cute. Where did she get all these pictures?”

He got bored looking at himself after about 10 minutes and turned off her computer.

He looked over at Mag’s suitcase. He knew he shouldn’t pry but he couldn’t help himself. He looked in it and found black pants, a couple of t-shirts. He found one black t-shirt that had the word Bono across it in silver sparkly letters. He just smiled to himself. He dug a little more and found three Nora Roberts paperbacks and two hard-covers. He picked up one of the paperbacks and took it out to the porch. He looked at the title “Blue Smoke”. An hour later he was still reading. He heard the sliding door open and saw Edge standing there with two beers in his hand. He handed one to Bono.

“Can’t sleep B?” Edge asked.

“No.” Bono replied.

Edge sat down on the other chair.

“It’s been an interesting few days.” Edge said.

Bono put the book down. “It sure has. I never thought that this is how we’d be spending our time in New York.”

They heard the bedroom door open and they both watched as Kat walked into the bathroom. She saw them outside and waved.

“Kat seems like a nice girl.” Bono said.

“She is. There’s just something about her. I can’t put my finger on it. She’s different than most girls we meet.” Edge said.

“I know what you mean. Mags is the same way. I’ve never met anyone like her. She is a strong woman but isn’t afraid to show her weaknesses. She’s been through hell and back and she still is able to laugh at herself. Most of the women I know would have crumbled.” Bono said. “I know it’s only been a few days, but I feel like I’ve known her most of my life.”

“It’s easy to forget they are so much younger and us..” Edge said. “Sometimes I have to remind myself that she is practically 20 years younger than me.”

“Does that bother you Reg?” Bono asked.

“Sometimes. I am old enough to be her father.” Edge replied. “Does it bother you?”

“Not really” Bono replied. “I guess it’s because she seems so much older than she is. I find myself more attracted to her than I have with any other woman I’ve met. There is just something about her that makes me want to know everything there is to know about her.”

“I feel the same way about Kat.” Edge said.

After a few minutes of silence Bono asked “Do you believe in love at first sight?” .

Edge looked over at him a little surprised at the question. “Love, no. Strong attraction with a little bit of lust thrown in, yes.”

All of a sudden they heard the phone ring. Kat ran to answer it thinking that it was Mags with a baby update. They turned in time to see Kat’s face go pale and she fell to the floor to sit. Edge and Bono rushed inside to see what was wrong.

“Mags was on her way here when she was hit by another car. She’s been taken to Mercy General. She’s not conscious.” She said with glassy eyes.

Bono and Edge rushed to get dressed and they all rushed to the hospital.

When they got there they saw Gladys in the waiting area. Kat rushed over and gave her a hug.

“Have they told you anything yet?” Kat asked.

“Not yet sweetie” Gladys replied. “All I know is that she was in an accident and they brought her here.”

A half hour later the doctor came out to talk to Gladys. Bono, Edge and Kat surrounded them.

“She’s a lucky woman. Some bruised Ribs, a sprained ankle and she has had a blow to the head, which is why she is unconscious. “ The doctor said. “I want to keep her for a couple of days.”

“Can we see her?” Gladys asked.

“We’ll get her settled in ICU and then you can go see her.” The doctor said.

They could only see her one at a time. They let Gladys go first, then Kat. Bono was the last to go in. He looked down at her face, which was covered in bruises. Her foot was wrapped in a bandage and she looked pale. He felt helpless as he held her hand. He brushed her hair away from her face and leaned down to give her a kiss on her cheek. Mags stirred at his touch.

“It’s ok love, I’m here” Bono whispered. “You just sleep. I’ll be back to see you soon.”

Baxter was waiting for them in the hall.

“We just got a call over the radio about a break-in. It was at the safe house. Apparently your stalker was watching and broke in while you were here. You can’t go back there tonight.”

Bono and Edge just looked at each other.

“I guess we could go to a hotel then.” Edge said.

“I want you accompanied by an officer at all times now.” Baxter said.

“They can stay at my place” Kat said. “I have lots of room.”

“No.” said Baxter. “The stalker will have your address. It’s not safe to go back to your apartment.”

“They’ll stay in my home.” Said Gladys. “I’m not going to go anywhere but my own home and they can keep me company.”

“Gladys, you won’t be safe there. She’s going to have your address too.” Said Baxter.

“I don’t care, I am not leaving my home!” said Gladys. She was not the type of woman who cared to be argued with.

“Fine, I’m not in the mood for an argument. I will however have some un-marked cars watching your house.” Baxter said.

They went back to the house to look at the damage and to get some of their stuff. Fred came rushing out to greet Kat. She got him into his carrier and they got some clothes and then they went to Gladys’s.

“I have a guest room and one of you can sleep in Mag’s old room and there’s Kristen’s old room. I’m just going to go to sleep.” Gladys said.

Kat gave her a kiss good-night. Edge and Kat went into the guest room and Bono found Mag’s room. When he opened the door the first thing he saw was a big poster of himself during the JT years. He just chuckled. He realized just how tired he was, put his bag down and laid on the bed without even taking off his shoes. He closed his eyes and was asleep in about 2 seconds.

He woke up a few hours later and wondered where he was. Then it dawned on him that he was in Mag’s room in her mother’s house. He turned over and smelt Mag on the pillow. He went back to sleep.

The next thing he knew, Edge was waking him up. “Bono, wake up mate.” Edge said.

“hmmmmpph” Said Bono into the pillow. He rolled over and saw Edge laughing at the poster.

“What a handsome face.” Edge said sarcastically.

“I guess she’s been a fan for awhile. Is it just me or do my eyes seem to follow you around the room in that picture?” Bono asked.

“Imagine waking up to that ugly face everyday.” Said Edge. “I don’t know how she could stand it.”

They went down to the kitchen and saw Gladys at the stove making breakfast. Kat was helping.

“It’s not very often I get to cook for a crowd.” Said Gladys.

They sat down and ate. After breakfast they went to the hospital. Mags still wasn’t awake.

They let Gladys have the first shift of sitting with Mags while they went to the station house to check in with Baxter. When they walked in Kat was surrounded by the other cops asking about Mags. She told them what she knew, which wasn’t much, and then walked into Baxter’s office.

“Have you found out who did this yet?” She asked him.

“The lab guys are still going over the car and the scene. I’m afraid that Mags’ car was totalled.” He told Kat.

They went down to the scene and Kat went to talk to the lab guys that were there. Bono and Edge had to wait outside the crime scene tape. Bono couldn’t look away from the accident scene. He saw the front end of her car was completely smashed in on the left side and it was partially bend around a light post. He couldn’t believe that she survived that. He didn’t like the feeling of knowing he had come close to losing her before he really got to know her. He thought about his first impression of her. The first thing that came into his head when she walked into that conference room was “Oh, there you are. I finally found you.” He was taken aback when that thought entered his head. He wasn’t sure how to deal with it, so he just pushed it away. He was beginning to realize what it meant.

After Kat was finished with the lab guys they went back to the hospital. Edge and Kat decided to go get some lunch so Bono went up to take the next shift of sitting with Mags. Just before he walked into the room he heard Gladys talking to Mags.

“I remember the last time I sat with you in ICU baby-girl. You were just a little thing. 10 years old. We didn’t know if you were going to make it or not. But you were strong. You’re a fighter. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.” She said. She started to cry.

Bono walked in and put his arm around her shoulder.

“It’s ok Gladys. She’ll be ok. Like you said, she’s a fighter. I believe she’ll come back to us. The first thing she’s going to ask for when she wakes up is coffee.” Bono said smiling.

Gladys looked at Bono and gave him a small smile.

“I’m glad she has someone like you Bono. She needs someone. I can see it in her eyes that she’s so lonely. I just hope she doesn’t push you away.” She said

“What do you mean by that?” Bono asked.

“She pushes away the people she loves. She’s afraid of hurting them and herself. I’ve watched her do it over and over and it makes me sad.” Gladys said. She turned to look into Bono’s eyes. “I just hope you push back. I don’t think anyone ever has.”

“Why don’t you go home and get some rest Gladys. I’ll stay here with her.” Bono said. He helped her into her coat and she gave him a kiss on the cheek before she left.
He sat and watched her breathe for awhile. The constant beeping was annoying and comforting him at the same time. After a while Edge and Kat came in and sat with him. Edge and Bono were telling Kat stories about life on the road when they heard Mags stirring. Bono leaned over her.

“That’s it love, wake up. Wake up Mags. Let me see your beautiful eyes.” Bono said.

Edge went to get the doctor. Kat leaned over Mag’s bed.

“Come on Mags. Wake up.” She said.

Slowly Mag’s eyes opened. She looked around the room, looked at Kat, then Bono.

“What happened?” she asked.

“You were in an accident, love.” Bono said.

“Where am I?” she asked looking around.

“ICU at Mercy General.” Kat said.

“Was anyone else hurt?” Mags asked.

“It was a hit and run as far as we can tell. We won’t know more until the lab guys are finished.” Kat told her.

“Oh.” Mags said, still a little groggy. “In that case, can I have some coffee? I’m really thirsty.”

Everyone just laughed.

:lmao: The password hints!!!

And the rest...I love Gladys. :heart:

Last edited:
Very well done!! Like Bono's thoughts, a lot. This is certainly taking a turn in another direction. I love a good mystery.
I also would love to wake up and have those gorgeous blue eyes looking right back at me.

Keep it flowing, diane...you've definitely peeked our interest!!!!

blm said:

onekea, we may be twins born of a different mother!!!:hug:

:hug:

and diane,ref. your question on mix pics-thread...well, I'm not a old member here too so maybe I don't have the right and "wisdom" for aswering you ...but what comes out in your fiction tells me you are a pleban to all intents and purposes.

...so how about a baby pleban, me and you? :D

Red Hill Mining Town
Previously un released video for this song - just came out with the remastered Joshua Tree. Major hawtness!!!!!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom