Cover me Chapter 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
DISCLAIMER: This is complete and total bull-poopie. I don’t own U2.

Author’s note: For some reason this was really hard to get out. I thought it was going to go one way and it went in a total different direction. I hope you like it.

Cover Me Chap 7

I woke up tangled in Bono’s arms. At some point I turned over and burrowed into his chest, my right leg wrapped around his thigh. I could hear his heart beat, his breathing slow and steady. I didn’t want to move. I didn’t want the moment to break. I just lay there and breathed in his scent. Little by little I could feel him awaken. I watched as his eyes slowly opened and a smile crept across his face.

“Good Morning love,” He said in a low quiet voice.

“Good Morning Bono,” I said. I gazed into his eyes. I was trapped in his gaze.

He hadn’t moved. His hands started stroking my back. I felt a wave of love and something else I couldn’t identify come over me. I leaned in to give him a small kiss. When I pulled back he was staring intensely into my eyes. Then he gave me a small kiss. He deepened it as he slowly rolled me onto my back. I buried my hands in his hair. I could feel him pressing me into the bed. His body heat coming off him in waves. I felt like I was melting.

All of a sudden we heard the bedroom door open and we jumped apart.

“Sorry,” Edge said, giving Bono a sly grin. “Didn’t mean to interrupt anything.”

“I’ll just kill you later Edge,” said Bono with a chuckle. Bono leans over to give me another kiss and then gets out of bed.

I get up and go over to get some clothes out of my suitcase. I get changed in the bathroom and when I come out I see Kat leaning against the kitchen counter with a cup of coffee.

“Since we have nothing better to do, you guys can help me make my pies for supper at Mama’s tomorrow. Apparently she talked Baxter into letting us go.” I say. “I would have liked to have heard that because no one can usually talk Baxter into anything.”

I try to think of what Bono can do to help without hurting him or us.

“Ok, Bono you peel apples, Kat you cut them, Edge fills the pie and I put the spices and whatnot in. While you two are doing the apples, I’ll make the pastry. Edge, I need music to bake by.”

Edge goes over to the stereo and turns it on to the local rock station. The house is filled with the sound of the Eagles. Edge and Kat start moving to the music. I start to grin and dance around. Next thing I know we are all dancing in the kitchen. The song ends and all of a sudden we hear the sound of Edge’s guitar at the beginning of Mysterious Ways. I grab a turkey baster to use as a microphone and start singing Bono’s part. Kat does Edge’s part and we sing together as they look at us and start laughing. Bono and Edge play the part of a fan and start belly dancing. I take one look at Bono trying to dance and start giggling until tears stream down my face. He grabs me and we start dancing/grinding and Kat and Edge do the same thing. We are all laughing hard. The song ends and we just look at each other like we’ve all lost our minds.

My phone goes off and it’s Baxter.

“Hey Lieu what’s up?” I say.

“We got another letter today. This time it was sent as e-mail. Have you got your laptop with you?” He asks.

I go over and turn on my computer. “Yeah I got it right here.” I say.

“I sent it to you. I want you to take a good look at the pictures and then I want you to come down and explain what’s going on over there.” He says.

“Ok.” I say, a little worried and I hang up.

I open my email and look at the message.

HE ONLY BELONGS TO ME. I WILL HAVE HIM AS MY OWN. NO ONE WILL GET IN MY WAY. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE DELT WITH.

I hear Bono behind me take a sharp breath in. His hands rest on my shoulders and squeeze them tightly.

Attached are the pictures.

The first one is of us at the movie premier.

The next one is me on the dance floor kissing Bono.

Then it’s us at the park. It’s a close up of me laughing on the swing.

Then it’s me kissing Edge.

Then me kissing Bono.

The last one makes me shiver. It’s me and Bono curled up together in bed.

Bono’s hands have gone still on my shoulders. I quickly get up and go over to the sliding doors and look out. She could have been anywhere when she took that.

“Pack your stuff. We can’t stay here anymore. She knows where we are.” I say.

“Where are we going to go?” Kat asks.

“She’s started to get fixated on me. Edge and Bono can go back to Ireland. They’ll be safe there. You go stay with your family Kat.” I say.

Edge and Bono look at each other.

Bono comes over to me and wraps his arms around me. “I’m not going anywhere Mags. I’m staying.” He says.

“You can’t Bono.” I try not sound as scared as I am. “You’re not safe with me.”

“I’m not leaving you love. Can’t we go to another house?” He says.

“She’ll just find us again. I can’t take the chance of you or Edge getting hurt. This is my call. My decision.” I say.

He stands in front of me and stares intently into my eyes. I try to hide my emotions but he sees them.

“Ok.” He says in a quiet voice. “We’ll go, but we aren’t leaving New York.”

I look over at Kat. “The only place I’m going” she says in a quiet, determined voice, “is with you. You are my partner and my friend. I am not leaving you alone.”

I turn around so I can see all three of them. Edge’s green eyes unwavering, Bono’s blue eyes intense and Kat’s brown eyes filled with determination.

“I don’t know what I did right to get friends like you.” I say. “Ok. New plan. Edge and Bono can stay. I’ll think of somewhere we can go where she can’t find us. In the mean time, we have a date with Baxter. Apparently he thinks there’s some hanky-panky going on here.”

Bono just gives me a big, wide grin. Edge looks at Kat and mirrors Bono’s grin. I can’t help but smile.

We get to the station house a little under 20 minutes. Bono and Edge came with us mostly because we didn’t want to leave them alone. We walk into Baxter’s office and I give him an innocent smile. “You wanted to talk about something Lieu?” I say.

“What exactly is going on over there? I wanted you to act as girl-friend/boyfriend, not 10 year olds.” He says. “What were you doing at a park at 5 am? Don’t you know what it would have looked like if some beat cop had picked you up?”

“It was my idea sir,” Bono said. “I couldn’t sleep and wanted to blow off some energy. They just came along so I’d be safe and we got carried away. If there is any blame, it’s mine”

“Well, I guess I can over-look it. The next time you want to blow off some energy, try to think of something else.”

“Thank you sir.” Bono says. “I’ll try.”

“Now, I got a call from your mother Mags. Apparently she wants you over to thanksgiving supper on Sunday. I was told, in so many words, that you’ve never missed a thanksgiving before and she didn’t want you to start now. After getting this email, I don’t think it would be safe.” Baxter says.

“I’ll go along with that on the condition that you get to tell her.” I said.

“You want me to tell your mother that you’re not going to supper?” Baxter asked.

“I sure as hell don’t want to.” I said. “I can just imagine what she’s going to say.”

“She did suggest that if your safety was in question that I was invited as well. I’ll let you go and I’ll just have to make sure that security measures are in place.” Baxter said.

“You’re coming to thanksgiving supper?” I ask.

“Is there something wrong with that?” He says.

“No sir. I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself.” I say.

“Ok. If there’s nothing else you can go.” He says. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes sir.” Kat and I say together. We turn and leave his office. Edge and Bono follow.

“This is going to be a very interesting thanksgiving.” I think to myself as we drive back to the house. “Not only is my boss going to be there, but the lead singer and lead guitarist from the greatest rock band in the world. And of course we can’t forget that mama has a crush on my boss. If I survive this I’ll be lucky.”

“Thank you for what you said about the park Bono” I say. “You didn’t have to do that.”

“I wouldn’t want you to get into trouble for a little bit of fun, love.” He says.

After supper we watch a movie. Bono and I are curled up together in the big chair and Edge and Kat are on the couch. Fred the cat comes over and jumps up to sit in my lap. I start petting him.

All of a sudden we hear a loud bang from the backyard. Kat and I jump up, grab our guns off the table in the hall and go outside with our weapons up. She goes checks out one side while I check out the other. I see something out of the corner of my eye and when I turn to face it, I see a racoon.

“False alarm” I say. “It’s just a racoon.” I take a deep calming breath. I see Bono and Edge watching us.

We sit back down, but we give up on the movie.

“Why did you become a cop?” Bono asks me.

“I told you about what happened to me when I was a kid. After mama took me in, I started having problems. I felt pretty worthless so I took my anger out on everyone around me. I started hanging out with the wrong crowd. I started to do things like break and entering and petty theft. Stuff like that. High school was tough for me. One day this woman cop caught me. Eve Nichols. She was one tough lady. She didn’t take any crap from me. She taught me that I wasn’t worthless. That I had something in me. Mama thought I would do better if I left New York for a while so I went to university in Toronto. I decided to take law enforcement. After I joined the O.P.P (the Ontario Provincial Police) I decided that I wanted to come home, so I did. The rest as they say, is history.”

“What happened to her?” Edge asked.

“She was in tower 1 of the world trade centre on 9/11.” I say.

After that we all decided to go to bed. I went to change in the bathroom and I was pulling out my bed when Bono comes out of his bedroom wearing pj bottoms and a white t-shirt. His feet were bare. He leans down to help me with the bed. He just looks at me with questioning eyes. I just smile. We climb into the bed and he wraps his arms around me again.

The next morning we get up and get ready to go to mama’s. We get somewhat dressed up. We each grab a pie and head out the door. I make sure we have the key.

We walk in the house and the first thing I see is Baxter on the sofa with a drink. It was un-nerving to say the least.

I go into the kitchen and give mama a kiss before putting the pies on the counter.

“Mama, this is Dave. Everyone calls him Edge.” I say. She just rolls her eyes at his nick-name.

I hear the front door open and a voice yelling “Mama! Where you at?”

“Kristen!” I rush to the front door. Her belly reaches me 5 minutes before she does. I look at her belly and say “Haven’t you popped yet?”

“I think this baby is going to retire in there.” She says. She’s 9 months and 2 days pregnant.

“Come sit down. I’m afraid you’re going to tip over.” I say laughing. “I have a few people to introduce you to.”

She looks up and sees Bono and Edge. Her eyes to wide and her jaw drops.

“Don’t you dare go into labour.” I say. “This is Bono and Edge. Not that you don’t already know. Kat and I are looking after them. Guys, this is my sister Kristen.”

She just stands there not saying anything.

“Don’t just do something Kris, stand there.” I say.

She gets over the surprise and sits down and starts talking to them. I go into the kitchen and help mama with the food. When I come back out to the living room I can hear Kris telling them about the poster I had on my wall as a teen-ager. It was a big picture of Bono. He sees me standing in the door way and gives me a big smile.

“Does she still have it?” I hear him ask.

“Oh yeah, it’s still on her wall. You should go check it out.” She says.

“No, he shouldn’t.” I say laughing.

Mama comes into the living room just in time and announces that supper is ready. We all sit around the table talking and laughing. I look over and see Kristen wincing.

“K, what’s wrong?” I ask.

“Oh nothing, I just think I’m in labour.” She says.

“What?!” I shout.

“Don’t panic Margaret. It’s ok.” Mama says. “You get your car and pull it up front. Kat, call her doctor, the number is by the phone. Bono and Edge can help her to the car.”

We all just sit there unable to move.

“Now!” mama yells and we all jump up.

We get to the hospital and I tell Kat to take Edge and Bono home because this is going to take a while. I’m Kristen’s coach so I stay by her side. Her husband is away on a business trip and they knew he wouldn’t be here for the birth. At one point she grabs my hand and says “If he ever :censored: touches me again I’m going to :censored: tie his :censored: willy around his :censored: neck”
(author’s note: this is a direct quote from my own best friend/sister while she was in labour with my niece)

After about 6 hours of labour she gives birth to a boy. I hold him just minutes after he was born. I can’t get over how tiny he is. After she is in her room and is asleep I go back to the house. I can’t wait to tell them about this.

About half way home I’m sitting at a light. I’m trying to decide if I should try to seduce Bono when I get home. It turns green and I start through. All of a sudden this car comes out of no where. All I hear is a squeal of tires and a crunch of metal.

Everything goes black.

:ohmy: oh cavolo!

even more gripping, diane :up: I like it a lot!

Last edited:
Oh NO, I was starting to think seduction, and then talk about a screeching halt!!! (Turkey baster as the microphone:lol:, we used to use salt shakers, too!!)

Can't wait for more!!!!!!!

:evil: The things we'd like to do to men whilst in labour... :mad: :rant: :angry: And you know, they always seem to end up being forgiven. :hug: Ack...

Anyhow, another good chappie, Diane. And I so love the thought of Bono sporting a nekid chest..:drool:

I'm really liking this story, Diane; I read chapters 4 - 7 today in one sitting...I only meant to read one. But it's addictive!

Ha, that quote! I'm with Rita Rudner, the comedienne, who said "I'd have a baby if you could carry it in a handbag. " :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom