Costly Red Campaign Reaps Meager $18 Million

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Fanatic4ever said:

IMO.. this thread is about to go down hill cuz of 'the people' who just love to bash bono and all that he does whenever someone starts up a thread that involves a critical view of what bono is doing/things he's involved in etc.. Why can't we have a well-balanced discussion about the topic at hand instead of the same ole crap over and over again..:huh:
I would say that it's because people don't really understand the manner in which he handles things, fully. He does things A LOT differently from most people and his methods can be considered, well, they are considered, very questionable. :shrug: He isn't your typical person, after all.
He juggles too many things at once, I think. And that takes his focus off certain things on certain given days, depending on what he is dealing with on said day, like someone mentioned global warming one day, etc. It's either he really likes dealing with so many issues at once, because he feels that he can solve so many problems, at once. Or, he is being pushed to carry the weight.
I don't really see this as so much of a fault of Bono's, as I do people who help run these organizations. They can't seem to function well enough on their own, without Bono and rely on him far too much to do everything. I mean, he's great with pubic awareness and stuff, but people ought to be able to pick up the slack and move forward without Bono having to push it all for them. The blame comes down on Bono, just because he is the best known person for each organization and that's where all the Bono-bashing comes from.

Bashing on him's just a trend, 'oh, well he's their representative, it's his fault.'
And it's not true. But you just can't make most people understand that. It's a pity. :tsk:

RED is capable of so much more than what it's done so far and maybe it got off on the wrong foot, but who is to say that it's Bono's undoing? I don't think it is. If people can just get it into their heads that Bono can't do everything for them, then maybe things will be a lot better off. But until they do, it's a vicious cycle and I fear that RED will only go further downhill. I would hate to see that happen to such a good cause.

last unicorn said:
Considering on how much crap most people usually spend their money, I think it's fair to say that buying RED products would be quite a good investment.

Agreed.

Most people spend their money on ciggs and booze.
Not sure how much a pack of cigaretes are in the US, but in the UK they range from £7 - £10 for a pack of 20. And on average they are smoked in a day.

£7 per day for something that is gone in a matter of hours :huh: :tsk:

The cheapest (RED) shirt from Gap is £14.95. Why not save that cigarette money and buy a couple of INSPI(RED) tees :shrug: The shirts last longer than the smokes and its going to a good cause.
Plus you're saving yourself and saving HIV/AIDs infected infant.

I'm just trying to put in perspective if you give up your little luxuries just one time, just ONE TIME, it is possible to make a difference.

Serena Vox said:

I don't really see this as so much of a fault of Bono's, as I do people who help run these organizations. They can't seem to function well enough on their own, without Bono and rely on him far too much to do everything. I mean, he's great with pubic awareness and stuff, but people ought to be able to pick up the slack and move forward without Bono having to push it all for them.

I disagree, at least in my experience. The people I've come into contact with work tirelessly and do a pretty thankless job, some even as non-paid interns or full time volunteers. It's not their fault that the public can't seem to care about anything unless an over-hyped celebrity is there to hold their hands and spoon feed them.

Like I've said before, it's the attitude of the consumers that needs to change. People need to stop treating this as "Bono's causes" and start looking at it as "our responsibilities."

waynetravis said:

Agreed.

Most people spend their money on ciggs and booze.
Not sure how much a pack of cigaretes are in the US, but in the UK they range from £7 - £10 for a pack of 20. And on average they are smoked in a day.

£7 per day for something that is gone in a matter of hours :huh: :tsk:

The cheapest (RED) shirt from Gap is £14.95. Why not save that cigarette money and buy a couple of INSPI(RED) tees :shrug: The shirts last longer than the smokes and its going to a good cause.
Plus you're saving yourself and saving HIV/AIDs infected infant.

I'm just trying to put in perspective if you give up your little luxuries just one time, just ONE TIME, it is possible to make a difference.

I agree with this. You put it very well.

Liesje said:

I disagree, at least in my experience. The people I've come into contact with work tirelessly and do a pretty thankless job, some even as non-paid interns or full time volunteers. It's not their fault that the public can't seem to care about anything unless an over-hyped celebrity is there to hold their hands and spoon feed them.

Like I've said before, it's the attitude of the consumers that needs to change. People need to stop treating this as "Bono's causes" and start looking at it as "our responsibilities."
That's what I said.

Serena Vox said:

If people can just get it into their heads that Bono can't do everything for them, then maybe things will be a lot better off. But until they do, it's a vicious cycle and I fear that RED will only go further downhill. I would hate to see that happen to such a good cause.

But it's not Bono's fault either, y'know. He doesn't control what the public thinks. Sure, he can sway opinions all day, till his face turns blue, but at the end of the day, it's the peoples' decisions, not his.
We can't control what the public thinks. Sure, we can look at it as our own responsibilities, but you know what? Not everyone is going to see it that way and you can disagree with me and argue with me all day. It won't change it.
People just need to get it out of their heads that everything is Bono's fault just because his name is attached to it.

Liesje said:

I agree as well, but I think that unfortunately, a lot of them are not. They are functioning in the sense that they are still doing great work without Bono's full time help, but while people WILL listen when he's around, they will just as quickly quit listening when he's not. It's not a problem with him, it's a problem with the majority of the western population. I don't know if it's apathy, cynicism, desensitization or what, but it seems like no one really cares unless Bono is physically in front of them. I see this a lot from my family and friends. :(

The attention span in the Western world is so short in just about everything.
Every business, every cause, every market, just everything has the problem that people will listen for a while, and then switch to the next topic really fast.
For example, in the 1990's the German magazine "stern" nearly every year put up an article with many, many pictures of, mainly children, starving to death in Ethiopia. Every year for some people it was like something they never heard and never have seen before, a few weeks, they cared about it, and then it was quiet again.

It doesn't matter if you are doing a good cause, or just trying to make a coin out of your business idea, but you have to constantly make people aware of your product.

There is just too much going on these days, and every company does huge advertising campaigns one after the other, so people are running from one company product to the next, forgetting about the one before.

But Bono can't be everywhere, nor doing everything. So they have to find ways to get people's attention for this cause without having to rely on Bono all the time.

Letter to the Editor
Advertising Age

Dear Mr. Bloom,

I want to clarify a number of issues from the article on March 4th by your writer Mya Frazier "Costly RED Campaign Reaps Meager $18 million."

It has been a year since the launch of (PRODUCT) RED in the UK – a brand launch designed to get people used to the idea of an entirely new "fund raising" model; a brand launch that entered the market slowly with a small product offering at the time. It was designed to build over time. It built up to a full product offering and launch in the US on October 13th, 2006. So we’ve been in business really for only five months.

Your article says that $18 million and soon to be $25 million (when we have completed our most recent accounting) is a "meager" amount. It's five times the amount given to the Global Fund by the private sector in four years.

Second, your writer suggested that the $25 million is meager compared to the marketing money spent. Because (RED) is explicitly NOT a charity, we encourage our partners to go about their business including their marketing. This sells the products; the products generate the $25 million.

In addition, this marketing would have been spent anyway, on other product lines. It never would have been (nor will it ever be) given to the Global Fund. We were able to divert existing marketing dollars for (RED). The companies have erected signs in stores and billboards across America saying that AIDS in Africa is a serious global problem. What is the value of that communication? Your writer never tells us. A phenomenal benefit is that Gap, Apple, Sprint and other sales people are meeting Americans and explaining that 5,500 Africans dying daily of AIDS is preventable. What is the value of this?

The only substantial point in your article is the notion that people will stop contributing to charity because they’ve purchased (RED) products. There is actual data showing that when people become aware of crises, they give more money rather than less. Your writer doesn’t mention that data. We believe (RED) will lead to more rather than less giving.

(RED) is one of the choices people can make to fight the biggest healthcare crisis in human history. Yours,

Bobby Shriver
CEO
(RED)

Awesome.

Thanks for that.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Letter to the Editor
Advertising Age

In addition, this marketing would have been spent anyway, on other product lines. It never would have been (nor will it ever be) given to the Global Fund. We were able to divert existing marketing dollars for (RED).

Bobby Shriver
CEO
(RED)

cool, that's what I said on page 1 :D

Last edited:
It was designed to build over time. It built up to a full product offering and launch in the US on October 13th, 2006. So we’ve been in business really for only five months.

Your article says that $18 million and soon to be $25 million (when we have completed our most recent accounting) is a "meager" amount. It's five times the amount given to the Global Fund by the private sector in four years.

So $25 million over 5 months comes out to be $5 million a month. Extend that to a year, and (RED) can be seen to make about $60 million.

quote from the original article:
So you'd expect the money raised to be, well, big, right? Maybe $50 million, or even $100 million.

Gee, or maybe $60 million :hmm:.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Letter to the Editor
Advertising Age

Dear Mr. Bloom,

I want to clarify a number of issues from the article on March 4th by your writer Mya Frazier "Costly RED Campaign Reaps Meager $18 million."

It has been a year since the launch of (PRODUCT) RED in the UK – a brand launch designed to get people used to the idea of an entirely new "fund raising" model; a brand launch that entered the market slowly with a small product offering at the time. It was designed to build over time. It built up to a full product offering and launch in the US on October 13th, 2006. So we’ve been in business really for only five months.

Second, your writer suggested that the $25 million is meager compared to the marketing money spent. Because (RED) is explicitly NOT a charity, we encourage our partners to go about their business including their marketing. This sells the products; the products generate the $25 million.

In addition, this marketing would have been spent anyway, on other product lines. It never would have been (nor will it ever be) given to the Global Fund. We were able to divert existing marketing dollars for (RED). The companies have erected signs in stores and billboards across America saying that AIDS in Africa is a serious global problem. What is the value of that communication? Your writer never tells us. A phenomenal benefit is that Gap, Apple, Sprint and other sales people are meeting Americans and explaining that 5,500 Africans dying daily of AIDS is preventable. What is the value of this?

The only substantial point in your article is the notion that people will stop contributing to charity because they’ve purchased (RED) products. There is actual data showing that when people become aware of crises, they give more money rather than less. Your writer doesn’t mention that data. We believe (RED) will lead to more rather than less giving.

(RED) is one of the choices people can make to fight the biggest healthcare crisis in human history. Yours,

Bobby Shriver
CEO
(RED)

Yay, you tell 'em how it really is Bobby! :applaud:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Letter to the Editor
Advertising Age

Dear Mr. Bloom,

Bobby Shriver
CEO
(RED)

Thanks Mrs S!! Awesome response by Bobby! :happy: WTG!! U tell them!!:wink:

I don't get the whole notion of (RED) being out of touch with real life. We live in a society where people are constantly consumers, and the campaign is tapping into that. Some products are really expensive (no cashmere sweater for me this year... :sigh: ), but most things are fairly reasonable.

Sprint, for instance, is offering the (RED) Razr to current customers who qualify for an upgrade and to new customers for only $10 more than the regular Razr. I think most people who are getting a new phone anyway won't mind spending $10 more. Gap t-shirts cost about $28 anyway most of the time, and people snatch them up.

I don't think (RED) is necessarily trying to attract new consumers; it's more that they're trying to attract attention from those who are going to buy these things anyway. It seems like common sense that if you can't afford something, you don't buy it, though I guess in today's society people don't always think that way. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I bought a few things, and I try to tell my friends and family about (RED) and the One Campaign when I can. Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something, even if it's as simple as spreading the word, which won't cost you a dime.

The campaign has done a lot of good. People may not always pay attention to the parts of the world they don't want to see. "AIDS in Africa? No, I can't cure it. Oh well." People are always going to buy things, though, and even if the overall profits aren't as high as they'd initially hoped, the campaign has gotten so much attention, and it's headed in the right direction. If going into Gap and buying a shirt will make someone start to pay more attention to global issues, that's wonderful. Even if the campaign isn't profiting right away, it will--if not financially, then by word of mouth and support.

I think it would be much more admirable for the companies involved to donate a larger chunk of the proceeds toward the campaign. For instance, Sprint is donating only $17 per phone sold. That seems sort of pathetic to me, imagining what their annual profit must be.

Loved that letter by Shriver!

"(The $18 million donated) is five times the amount given to the Global Fund by the private sector in four years." the facts speak for themselves.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17613550/site/newsweek/

070313_RedCause_wide.hlarge.jpg

Does Shopping for a Good Cause Really Help?
Socially conscious marketing campaigns like Bono's 'shop for AIDS' are all the rage. But can shopping solve the world's problems?
WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Jessica Bennett
Newsweek
Updated: 3:29 p.m. ET March 14, 2007

March 14, 2007 - When Ben Davis created buylesscrap.org, a quirky parody of Bono’s (Red) campaign, he thought he’d get a few laughs out of his San Francisco designer friends. But since it launched two weeks ago, the site has received thousands of hits, hundreds of blog mentions—and has raised some very real questions about the spending practices and intentions of “cause marketing” campaigns like Red, which funnel a percentage of profits from the sale of consumer goods to charity. “A part of me was thinking long term about buying as a way to cure things, and feeling that was a bit manipulative,” says Davis, who runs a creative marketing firm. “I think I put a voice to what many people were feeling.”

Davis and his friends aren’t the only ones questioning the “shopping to help charity” trend. An article in Advertising Age last week reported that since the campaign launched in the U.K. last March, its corporate sponsors (which include the Gap, Motorola and Apple, among others) have spent some $100 million on marketing but raised just $18 million for the Geneva-based Global Fund—one fifth less than a previously projected goal. Red has since replaced that $18 million figure with $25 million, and called the marketing numbers (derived from independent analysts) “irresponsible journalism,” as Red cofounder Bobby Shriver told NEWSWEEK. AdAge, meanwhile, stands by its story—saying that it derived its marketing total from three different “media experts’ estimates of the marketing partners' outlay on print, TV, billboard and Internet ads, as well as the cost of a content-integration deal, in-store marketing materials and a pop-up store used by one of the partners.”

Whatever the advertising figure (and Red is quick to point out it’s substantially less), the debate over Red’s model is bound to come up as a growing population of consumers try to help others while helping themselves to new T shirts and iPods. Activism is the new chic, and we, the consumers, have become the new activists—saving the world one credit-card transaction at a time. Cause marketing is a multibillion-dollar industry today (estimated to clock in at $1.4 billion in the United States this year—a growth of 23 percent since 2005, according to a study by the Chicago-based IEG Sponsorship Report), and it has carved out a niche within a group of young consumers who’ve grown accustomed to shopping for a cure. Ben & Jerry’s American Pie encourages buyers to support its campaign to redistribute the federal budget to focus on children. Sun Chips are crunching for a cure for breast cancer, while Yoplait yogurt is saving lids to save lives—another cancer fund.

A 2006 survey by the marketing firm Cone Inc. found that 74 percent of American 13-to-25-year-olds are more likely to buy from a company with a strong commitment to a cause, while another survey, a collaboration between Cone and Alloy Marketing, found that in the past year, one in four college students has purchased a product because it was viewed as socially conscious. “Done appropriately, cause marketing does well with kids, with women, and with greens," says Paul Jones, a Salt Lake City-based marketing consultant who also authors the Cause-Related Marketing blog. "They think, ‘If I'm already going to buy something, why wouldn't I buy the thing that gives back?’”

But how much are we really giving back? And when did shopping become the best way to help poor children in Africa? The Red folks would argue that any contribution is a good contribution, and that cause marketers are tapping into a group who may not donate otherwise, while also raising general awareness of issues such as AIDS and global poverty. Plus, they say, because corporations are benefiting, too, the product is more sustainable. “It’s not that people say, ‘Oh, I’m feeling charitable today, let me go to the Gap',” says Red’s Shriver. “If you’re feeling charitable, write a check. If you’re feeling like you need a cool shirt, go to the Gap.” So if you need to buy a pair of new sneakers anyway and you have a choice between a pair that helps only the manufacturer’s pockets versus one that gives a percentage to a good cause, why not take the charitable route?

On the other hand, it isn’t easy for consumers to determine the amount of their money going to charity. How much of that $28 for a Red Gap T shirt , for example, is actually making it into clinics and villages? Gap donates between 40 and 50 percent of its gross Red profits to the Global Fund—but that doesn’t necessarily mean that 50 percent of your money is going there. Red won't reveal those numbers, but has an “impact calculator” that lets you see what your money can buy (a $28 shirt provides 41 single-dose treatments to prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission). But without knowing how the company calculates profit (after accounting for production, marketing, training, etc.), it’s still unclear how many dollars are actually being sent to the Global Fund. If it’s only 50 cents, would that affect your purchasing decision? “There’s nothing wrong with corporations advertising, and there’s nothing wrong with buying an iPod,” says Randy Cohen, who writes “The Ethicist” column for The New York Times and is author of "The Good, The Bad & The Difference: How to Tell Right from Wrong in Everyday Situations." “But there’s something slightly deceptive if you think this is an effective way to address social problems.” Gap did not return calls seeking comment.

David Crocker, author of “The Ethics of Consumption” and an international development expert at the University of Maryland, says we often don’t realize the power of our purchases—and if we want to weigh the ethics of cause shopping, we must look not only at the quality of a good, but at its impact. That impact, he says, could be anything from environmental waste to poor working conditions. “What we buy and consume and use up and waste has a big impact on the developing world,” he says. “So sometimes I think the responsibility is on the part of citizens to really take an active role [in learning about an item].”

But consumers might be understandably confused by advertising that looks charity-friendly but may not be. In its new ad campaign, Italian designer-denim brand Diesel has stuck a clan of models knee-deep in water on the rooftops of a flooded New York City—an obvious reference to the potential consequences of global warming or some other environmental disaster. The ad doesn’t mention any benefit to environmental groups, though it does provide resources for more information, as well as questionable tips for what you can do (like have sex—to keep you warm and cut down heating bills). A Diesel spokewoman says the campaign is an effort to get people thinking about climate change—and that the company does, in fact, contribute 10 percent of proceeds from a limited line of "wearable art pieces" (called the Diesel Denim Gallery), to Al Gore's Alliance for Climate Protection.

Barbara Brenner, the executive director of Breast Cancer Action, an education and advocacy group whose Think Before You Pink campaign is devoted to helping consumers understand the myriad of pink-ribbon products, sees "a transformation of public participation ... into corporate America. … We’ve been encouraged as a culture to think we can solve problems this way, and there's pretty good evidence that it won't work.”

Corporate America may be damned if they do and damned if they don't; they’ll be criticized for not giving more but then critiqued when they try to find creative ways to do it. For Davis, transparency is key. “Maybe Red is a concept overreached,” says Davis. “I think they’ve lost the faith of the broad sector of the cause-market, and the reaction to [my] very small site has shown that.”

Thanks for posting that. I think the article does raise some valid criticisms BUT, they're missing one key factor: one of the main reasons (RED) exists is to get the corporations involved. The article only approaches the issue from the perspective of the consumer, and that's only half of the story. Anyone who's studied psychology is taught that people's actions have to change first in order for their attitudes to change. Corporations aren't going to just up one day and say "Oh, Bono was right, we should be giving 3/4 of our profits to the Global Fun." No, (RED) is a way of easing into that mentality so that the corporations will change their attitudes based on their charitable actions. Now, if in 5 years, Apple is still only giving $10 per iPod, then I will start to get very frustrated, but right now the campaign is so new, it's mostly a jumping off point.

The article is also looking at the issue too generally. If you're only considering the problem as a whole, ANY proposed "solution" to poverty and AIDS is going to look weak and impossible. But with (RED), you can leave Gap and say "My $14 just gave one sick person drugs for a week" or "My $5 just provided a vaccination so a baby won't get AIDS during birth" [don't know the actual numbers, I made that up]. After all, it's the tiny grassroots organizations throughout Africa that have always done a better job of caring for their constituencies. Sometimes we need to look at this problem as actual individuals and not a mishmash of economic statistics.

All one has to do to see if (RED) is working is to check out BLOG (RED) on the JOIN(RED) website and read the reports of women and children whose lives have been improved with money channeled through (RED) purchases to the Global Fund. :wink:

Here is the latest post in BLOG(RED) and the link to read these AMAZING stories of REAL people who have already been helped by (RED). :love:

Thursday, March 15, 2007

How much is $25 million?

As our CEO Bobby Shriver mentioned last week, your (RED) purchases have generated $25 million in contributions to The Global Fund already! Thank you so much for buying (RED)!

But you may be wondering, how much money is that? Well...

It’s five times the amount the Global Fund received from private companies in the previous four years.

It's even more money than is given each year by committed donor countries like Denmark ($23 million), Australia ($13 million), Belgium ($10 million), and many others.

Most importantly, it's enough to buy medicine for about 160,000 Africans with AIDS for a year.

We have a long way to go in the fight against AIDS. To find out more about the Global Fund or donate money directly click here.

Buying (RED) is just one way to help. But is nice to see that the (RED) nation has joined the fight!

posted by bn

http://joinred.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom