Congratulations, Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and I just found this over at DATA's website:

DEBT CANCELLATION FOR WORLD'S POOREST COUNTRIES

The world's wealthiest countries agreed today to write off more than $40 billion of African debt. The deal, struck by finance ministers from the Group of Eight industrialized nations, would wipe out the debts owed by 18 of the world's poorest countries immediately and up to 38 in total, most of which are in Africa. The debt cancellation deal covers debts to international lending agencies such as the World Bank, African Development Bank and International Monetary Fund.

REACTION FROM BONO, U2 LEAD SINGER AND CO-FOUNDER OF DATA, A FOUNDING MEMBER OF ONE:

The journey of equality took another step today, and broke free millions of people in some of the poorest countries from the bondage of immoral and unjust debts. The leadership of the jubilee campaigners is bearing fruit once more, we really owe those people, from church basements to national treasuries who have worked so long and so hard for this day.
There's long nights ahead of us all to build up the speed and accelerating for a comprehensive debt-aid-trade deal for the poorest people in the poorest countries at the G8 Gleneagles.

I've been following this on the Tv&radio here in the U.K&it's such wonderful news and a lot of credit to Gordon Brown. (Our chancellor) :applaud: :bow:

Hooray! I think I'll celebrate by sponsoring a Kenyan AIDS orphan. Her photo has been sitting on my dining room table for about a week and a half, and I haven't done anything about it yet.

Cheers to all who had a part in this. :applaud:

I read that earlier too and I was so happy to read it. It is such a wonderful thing for all those places in poverty. I truly hope that the cancellation of debt will help these people in tremendous ways.

Heard this earlier also and it's great to hear it's happening.
Now these nations can actually try and strive to become wealthy and more modernized. Definately something good is happening here.

I heard it on the news (it got a full FIVE SECONDS of airtime! :rolleyes: ) - this is fantastic! Congratulations to Bono and DATA, but more importantly to the citizens of these countries...now keep it up politicians!

:dance: :heart: :bono:

I get chills just thinking about this! Do you think we could really cancel debt in our time! One more step has been made. Every step is one step closer to canceling all the debt and helping people to live a better life.

:hug: to all people who have made this possible and who continue to fight the good fight! :heart:

Russty Cat said:
I get chills just thinking about this! Do you think we could really cancel debt in our time! One more step has been made. Every step is one step closer to canceling all the debt and helping people to live a better life.

:hug: to all people who have made this possible and who continue to fight the good fight! :heart:

Yes, WE CAN! :hyper:

And it's exciting to say you're a part of it. Keep it up all of you!

It is possible and that's what he has been telling the world. All we have to do is believe while keeping on fighting.
This certainly is a big step. :heart:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom