canker sores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Ugh, my mouth is on fire. I had a bunch of work done at the dentist on Monday and a wisdom tooth pulled on Tuesday. As usual, my mouth has a brain of its own and I've got canker sores galore, especially at the places where I got shots in my mouth and in the front of my mouth from having it pried open so long. The canker sores definitely hurt ten times more than where the wisdom tooth is out, especially since my glands swell up and sometimes they make me feverish. I have the strongest OTC meds I can find and it lasts for an hour at most and only makes the sore site more enflamed and bleeding. I used to have a prescription, but it's a few years old and expired. Anyone have any creative canker sore remedies? Meanwhile, I'm going to lay in a puddle of my own drool and moan...

Yes, that's them. They usually (but not always) spring up b/c of some mouth "trauma" (going to the dentist, biting my cheek, etc) and like to stick around for at least two weeks. Rarely is there only one at a time. I just put some numbing stuff on and it made my gland swell up like a golf ball. Maybe I can get a Dr. to cauterize them for me....

could you rise your mouth out with warm salt/water?

salt and water seems to do the trick for most things... esp ulcers.

sorry if I've been no help. Hope you feel better soon x

Don't drink it, but swishing hydrogen perxiode around in your mouth (DON"T SWALLOW IT) or putting it on a q-tip and applying it that way makes them feel better and I find clears them up. Goodluck.....

they suck :| i keep gettin them, i got one and it went a way like 3 weeks ago and then right after that i got anohter and now i have another!!!! GR! I hate it :|

Canker sores are a result of many things. I used to get them a lot but I started brushing my teeth after every meal, rinsing with anti-bacterial mouthwash, and flossing daily. I've never had one since.
You could be nutrient deficient, so take up on daily vitamins.
And never ignore the cleanliness of your mouth. Do not stick dirty things in your mouth, ie hands, unwashed utensils, etc.
Hydrogen peroxide is a must when you get any kind of infection in your mouth, it kills the bacteria. Believe it or not, it prevents cavities too!

xtal said:
Canker sores are a result of many things. I used to get them a lot but I started brushing my teeth after every meal, rinsing with anti-bacterial mouthwash, and flossing daily. I've never had one since.

Yeah, maybe part of the problem is that right now I'm not allowed to "swig" anything and I can't use any mouthwash b/c of the wisdom tooth area healing. Although, around here we're supposed to brush only twice a day b/c we have fluoride in our drinking water (first city ever) and brushing too much ruins the enamel.

Hydrogen peroxide is a must when you get any kind of infection in your mouth, it kills the bacteria. Believe it or not, it prevents cavities too!

I need to get some of this stuff. I tried this once before last time I had a huge outbreak and it tasted like shit. Then I realized the bottle had expired in 1989. :barf:

The annoying thing is that no one knows what a canker sore is. Technically, they're not an "infection" but an "inflamation". Not to mention Dr.s list causes as anything from being on your period to stress to eating fruit.....basically ANYTHING.

The worst canker sore is "behaving" today (ie, not flaring up so that I can't talk or eat) and I think I'll leave it alone. Last night when I tried some OTC stuff that's supposed to help, it just made the sore very angry and my glands puffed out making my mouth AND my neck hurt. :mad:

First of all: I loathe those things... especially when the littlest thing that you do cause it (ie: just biting on the inner lip by accident)

Listerine or any type of mouthwash... stings like a :censor:er but after a day or two, the sore should shrink.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah, maybe part of the problem is that right now I'm not allowed to "swig" anything and I can't use any mouthwash b/c of the wisdom tooth area healing.

maybe you could put it on a q-tip and just swab the area?

hey, this ALWAYS works for me when i feel one coming on, go to the nearest vitamin store like GNC or Vitamin World, get some L-Lysine. its an amino acid that repair tissues and helps production of antibodies.
you may feel the bumps for two days, but no pain or blistering.
sorry, my husband is a vitamin freak.
hope this helps

I used to get canker sores when I was younger, all the time. I think it is the acid in your mouth. I used to get alot of cavities and canker sores and I haven't had a cavity in years . i believe i have less acid because I still do eat too much sugar. I would go to my doctor and she would put a liquid that hurt like a mother fcker and it would turn silver. But it went away fast after that.

Last edited:
Ugh, my mouth is on fire. I had a bunch of work done at the dentist on Monday and a wisdom tooth pulled on Tuesday. As usual, my mouth has a brain of its own and I've got canker sores galore, especially at the places where I got shots in my mouth and in the front of my mouth from having it pried open so long. The canker sores definitely hurt ten times more than where the wisdom tooth is out, especially since my glands swell up and sometimes they make me feverish. I have the strongest OTC meds I can find and it lasts for an hour at most and only makes the sore site more enflamed and bleeding. I used to have a prescription, but it's a few years old and expired. Anyone have any creative canker sore remedies? Meanwhile, I'm going to lay in a puddle of my own drool and moan...

I used to have terrible trouble with canker sores. For me, taking Echenacia as soon as the sores popped up helped ALOT and really shortened the length of time and lessened the severity. You can get it at any grocery or drug stores with the herbs and vitamins. I hate to do that "You know what you should try..." thing, but all I can say is Echenacia was a very big help to me.

I hope you feel better soon!!!!!

Love and Peace and Lots of Sympathy.

Jenny (HowthGirl)

mysticchild said:
I used to get canker sores when I was younger, all the time. I think it is the acid in your mouth. I used to get alot of cavities and canker sores and I haven't had a cavity in years . i believe i have less acid because I still do eat too much sugar. I would go to my doctor and she would put a liquid that hurt like a mother fcker and it would turn silver. But it went away fast after that.

I *think* they put silver nitrate on it to cauterize it. If I new a dentist or chemist friend, I'd be on my knees begging every few months. My pediatrician, who I still go to, once told my mom that he's noticed a correlation between stomach problems and a higher occurance of canker sores. This is definitely me. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve or help the problem. Since I've finished going through purberty, my stomach problems have lessened. I still get raging canker sores, but only one or two at a time and they're always b/c I bit my cheek or something. Before, I'd get 3-6 at a time for no apparent reason.

I *think* they put silver nitrate on it to cauterize it. If I new a dentist or chemist friend, I'd be on my knees begging every few months. My pediatrician, who I still go to, once told my mom that he's noticed a correlation between stomach problems and a higher occurance of canker sores. This is definitely me. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve or help the problem. Since I've finished going through purberty, my stomach problems have lessened. I still get raging canker sores, but only one or two at a time and they're always b/c I bit my cheek or something. Before, I'd get 3-6 at a time for no apparent reason.

I had them a ton as a kid and a teen - clusters of them - oh they were horrible!!! And then they steadily got less throughout my 20's; and in the last few years I can't even recall having one.

I think that , unless there is a mouth injury, they do seem to sort of get better as years go on.

Feel better soon!

l-lysine and/or yogurt. Cut the sugar out of your diet completely until the wisdom teeth heal and the sores are gone, skip anything with tomato in it - including tomato sauce on stuff like pasta and lasagne.

lots of yogurt - plain. with no sugar kind.

Back
Top Bottom