Campbell 'spat in guard's face'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something I just remembered, (also from U2 at the end of the world) is that one of the reasons Adam fell in love with Naomi was because he liked her attitude and fiesty nature.

:shrug:

I think it's pretty presumptuous and mean-spirited to make such blanket assertions about the character of someone we "know" only from gossipy Oooh-get-THIS! stories about celebrities on their worst behavior. Don't all of us have friends or relatives whom we love dearly and respect greatly--but can admittedly be total assholes from time to time, and probably are perceived largely in that light by many others? I know I do. One of my brothers is an incorrigible hothead--I can easily imagine him throwing a phone at someone whom he thought stole something from him, and I've seen him punch people who stoked his overblown how-dare-you-condescend-to me tendencies. But he has the patience of a saint with the emotionally disturbed adults he works with for a living, and no one I know is better at rallying people together to plan surprise parties and impromptu reunions, or finding the truly perfect gift to give at just the right time. Or one of my closest friends, a lot of people find her arrogant and overbearing, and I can see where they're coming from, she can indeed be just that; but she's also the sort who'll drive 600 miles roundtrip spur of the moment to hold a friend's hand the weekend their spouse moves out--or to open her house and her life to them, no questions asked, no rent required, for a few months until they're back on their feet.

People are like that; they may be prickly or hard to handle when their worst sides come to the fore, and they can really let you down sometimes, but it doesn't mean they're unworthy through-and-through, or incapable of truly heroic loyalty or generosity at other times. But sometimes it takes someone who knows you the way a friend does to see that. I certainly have no idea who the Naomi Campbell her friends know is, and I don't much care either, but it seems pretty unwarranted to me to leap to the conclusion that she's merely a "bitch" or a "twat" based on a handful of anecdotes meant to shock with glimpses of her at her worst.

THANK YOU!
U2 STILL hang out with her (esp Bono, but also Adam and the others) and i think they can judge for themselves who they want to be associated/ friends with & do not need a bunch of fans-gone-wild to ask for approval thankyouverymuch :mad:

nice little excerpt from the Until the End of the World book.. but there is more in there. Talk about selective information flow... but we all know the press gives us the true picture.

She might treat people she does not care about like shit, but i bet on the other hand she goes to great length for people she cares about. A bit presoumptious to assume her friends stick with her for years because of her looks (which are only radiant when she is fully "Made up", before that she is very likely to look plain as well"

It is one thing not to like her, but just becaue you are fans it does not mean you have any business to play protective mother hen to the boys :|

As far as i understand also Ali gets along with her fine as well.

I read an interview with Ali who called Naomi a 'lovely girl' so she must be charming to those she likes and a cow to anyone who gets in her way.

yolland said:

I think it's pretty presumptuous and mean-spirited to make such blanket assertions about the character of someone we "know" only from gossipy Oooh-get-THIS! stories about celebrities on their worst behavior. Don't all of us have friends or relatives whom we love dearly and respect greatly--but can admittedly be total assholes from time to time, and probably are perceived largely in that light by many others? I know I do. One of my brothers is an incorrigible hothead--I can easily imagine him throwing a phone at someone whom he thought stole something from him, and I've seen him punch people who stoked his overblown how-dare-you-condescend-to me tendencies. But he has the patience of a saint with the emotionally disturbed adults he works with for a living, and no one I know is better at rallying people together to plan surprise parties and impromptu reunions, or finding the truly perfect gift to give at just the right time. Or one of my closest friends, a lot of people find her arrogant and overbearing, and I can see where they're coming from, she can indeed be just that; but she's also the sort who'll drive 600 miles roundtrip spur of the moment to hold a friend's hand the weekend their spouse moves out--or to open her house and her life to them, no questions asked, no rent required, for a few months until they're back on their feet.

People are like that; they may be prickly or hard to handle when their worst sides come to the fore, and they can really let you down sometimes, but it doesn't mean they're unworthy through-and-through, or incapable of truly heroic loyalty or generosity at other times. But sometimes it takes someone who knows you the way a friend does to see that. I certainly have no idea who the Naomi Campbell her friends know is, and I don't much care either, but it seems pretty unwarranted to me to leap to the conclusion that she's merely a "bitch" or a "twat" based on a handful of anecdotes meant to shock with glimpses of her at her worst.
:up: I'm glad someone could express what I was thinking.

yolland said:

I think it's pretty presumptuous and mean-spirited to make such blanket assertions about the character of someone we "know" only from gossipy Oooh-get-THIS! stories about celebrities on their worst behavior.

May I suggest that it is rather presumptuous and narrow to assume that everyone who posts only knows certain people through the gossip columns -- when I say twat, honey, I mean twat -- and I know what I'm talking about.

I dunno, if Naomi really is hurling phones at assistants and maids and spitting at guards then I have a hard time with that, not with U2 hanging out with her but just in general. I have major issues with people who pick on service personnel (maybe because I've often been that person!). One of my fave quotes is a JK Rowling quote taken from a Samuel Johnson quote:

If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

Then again, this is all from tabloids, and really, how reliable are they? So it's hard to know what really happened in these cases, I think.

Meghan said:
Something I just remembered, (also from U2 at the end of the world) is that one of the reasons Adam fell in love with Naomi was because he liked her attitude and fiesty nature.

Interesting. Compare her "feisty attitude" with Ali's "no nonsense" one that was part of what attracted Bono. I see Ali offering to get water for everyone in a meeting and wishing she could have become a nurse so she could help people. She went with her young husband to Ethiopia to help helpless people and has a mischievous smile. Naomi's attitude seems different.

That U2 is loyal to its people (look at how many people have stuck with them from the beginning, and Bono stood up for Cashman when the other band members complained about her) so they aren't going to gossip about a person whose frailties show up, but you don't see "outside" people spilling stories that Ali is a bitch sometimes. Your loyalty can cover up only so much, and truth leaks out. Ali rings true and kind; Naomi probably needs to grow up some (read: love others as herself. Ali could give lessons! LOL)

If Ali decides to teach a class, I want a front row seat! I'll take lots of notes... and hope for a surprise visit from her hubby...stubby hubby if he hasn't shaved! :D

You make a good point yolland. I know I'd hate to be famous because I have a quirky personality myself, and I can just imagine how I'd fare in the tabloids if I were famous. The fact of the matter is that all autistics are quirky. They'd kill me. I'm just grateful I'm not famous. I would hate it. If U2 are still friends with her there must be plenty to like about her.

Last edited:
yolland said:

This is awesome. :heart:

I have no doubt that Naomi can be a bit of a bitch but sometimes the media do tend to blow things out of proportion.

What happened if it was Ali? What would you do if you happened to hear that she was a complete bitch to someone? It would all escalate into how horrible she is, etc. etc. I have no doubt that she is a really sweet person but like everyone else she has flaws. We can't assume what is going on in people's lives and how they are just by what the media says.

We need to take what the media says with a grain of salt because they put a spin on everything.

U2Girl1978 said:
We need to take what the media says with a grain of salt because they put a spin on everything.

I really do wonder what the real story is behind some of the Naomi stories we hear (yeah, I am being nosy, I know!). You have her maid, and various former employees saying they were literally attacked, punched, kicked, and scratched by her to the point of bleeding, needing stitches, etc., but then again, once someone has a reputation it's easy to jump on the lawsuit bandwagon. I will say that if those stories are true then I think she really needs help...hurting other people is not ok, it's just not, period. People have their good and bad points, yes, but when you are physically harming other people then you have crossed a line.

I would think it was different if it was only one story. The amount of times is what is adding up to the judgement for me. Plus, I really think that people who punch people but are kind to handicapped people are assholes. Unless he is in anger management.

If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

:applaud:

Very true. Perhaps this is why Ali, Bono, Adam, etc. get along so well with Naomi. They're on equal footing.

Who knows, though? It's all speculation, and she's innocent until proven guilty anyway.

yolland said:

:up: nicely said.

Of course it's fair game to slag off Naomi cos isn't that following the Official U2 line, ie she's no longer with Adam so she's a bitch, QED. :shrug:

faithingrace said:
I'd like to know why when you are beautiful it is considered sassy or fiesty? For the rest of us it is considered rude or bitchy?:eyebrow:

why is she than considered to be a bitch? isn't she supposed to beautiful?

i think flanagan was one of the few to call her sassy and feisty.. and there he was probably just rephrasing Adam who was/is an individual with a weak spot for her

I recently read an interview with Naomi where she tells she's still good friends with Adam. If they ask her if he was the right man at the wrong time, she says that a lot of people say that but that he's happy now.
She also tells that he still send her mother flowers and he's a good person. :)

I don't want to judge her, I don't know her, but I'm sure she's ok, otherwise the band wouldn't stay in touch with her. I think.

Still this one makes me laugh:

At 2am everyone's settled in and had a shower, and U2 congregates on a high piazza from which they can look down on the crowd, who are finally dispersing, and drink wine. There's Edge and Aislinn, Larry and Ann, Adam and Naomi, Ned and Maurice, Christy, Chanty - a Dublin friend of Edge's - Sheila, Eileen, Dennis, and Bono. Naomi decides she's going to get some food and goes off to find the hotel kitchen. Officially it's shut down, but she implies that if she can get at a stove she'll whip up something herself. Maybe that's a threat designed to stir sleeping chefs to action, maybe it's sincere. I don't know, I don't care. Everone here is just enjoying the moon and the night and company. After a while, though, Adam begins to wonder where his fiancee's gone. Christy (who often seems to act as Naomi's conscience - or at least social governor) says she'll go check. She comes back a few minutes later with news that Naomi is in the middle of a full-pitched screaming battle downstairs. Adam looks half concerned. "Is she fighting with anyone employed by me?" "No," Christy says. "She fighting with the chef." "Oh." Adam relaxes. "That's fine." ......Naomi's no-nonsense air of entitlement rubs some of these people the wrong way. Adam's fiancee is graceful and full of style, but she occasionally seems to think employee is another name for servant. One spoiled crew member whispered to me that Naomi was the person on the tour most likely to have a flight case dropped on her head. Naomi returns to our company, stretches languidly across the back of Adam's chair, and pouts that the chef, who refused to cook, would not stand aside and let her at the stove. She is upset and she is going to bed. She kisses Adam goodnight, kisses Christy goodnight, waves to everone else, and then walks straight into the glass door with a shuddering crash. Everyone jumps up, but Naomi just reels back, laughs, and tries again, this time passing through the open side and back into the hotel. "That'll straighten her out," says the gallant Adam. -Bill Flanagan's Until The End Of The World

http://www.u2takemehigher.com/main.html

Bibien said:
I recently read an interview with Naomi where she tells she's still good friends with Adam. If they ask her if he was the right man at the wrong time, she says that a lot of people say that but that he's happy now.
She also tells that he still send her mother flowers and he's a good person. :)

I don't want to judge her, I don't know her, but I'm sure she's ok, otherwise the band wouldn't stay in touch with her. I think.

Still this one makes me laugh:

At 2am everyone's settled in and had a shower, and U2 congregates on a high piazza from which they can look down on the crowd, who are finally dispersing, and drink wine. There's Edge and Aislinn, Larry and Ann, Adam and Naomi, Ned and Maurice, Christy, Chanty - a Dublin friend of Edge's - Sheila, Eileen, Dennis, and Bono. Naomi decides she's going to get some food and goes off to find the hotel kitchen. Officially it's shut down, but she implies that if she can get at a stove she'll whip up something herself. Maybe that's a threat designed to stir sleeping chefs to action, maybe it's sincere. I don't know, I don't care. Everone here is just enjoying the moon and the night and company. After a while, though, Adam begins to wonder where his fiancee's gone. Christy (who often seems to act as Naomi's conscience - or at least social governor) says she'll go check. She comes back a few minutes later with news that Naomi is in the middle of a full-pitched screaming battle downstairs. Adam looks half concerned. "Is she fighting with anyone employed by me?" "No," Christy says. "She fighting with the chef." "Oh." Adam relaxes. "That's fine." ......Naomi's no-nonsense air of entitlement rubs some of these people the wrong way. Adam's fiancee is graceful and full of style, but she occasionally seems to think employee is another name for servant. One spoiled crew member whispered to me that Naomi was the person on the tour most likely to have a flight case dropped on her head. Naomi returns to our company, stretches languidly across the back of Adam's chair, and pouts that the chef, who refused to cook, would not stand aside and let her at the stove. She is upset and she is going to bed. She kisses Adam goodnight, kisses Christy goodnight, waves to everone else, and then walks straight into the glass door with a shuddering crash. Everyone jumps up, but Naomi just reels back, laughs, and tries again, this time passing through the open side and back into the hotel. "That'll straighten her out," says the gallant Adam. -Bill Flanagan's Until The End Of The World

http://www.u2takemehigher.com/main.html

Thanks bibien, that was exact the quote I tried to describe on the previous page :wink:
Still, very funny indeed :up:

Coming from the other side of this --- i.e. having a personality VERY similar to Naomi's: explosive temper, prickly as a cactus..that whole thing -- I have to say you guys sound very like a lot of people I've met during a bad period. I'm a mean, evil bitch because I snap and snarl when people try to touch and/or talk to me. My reason -- which most people never bother to ask beforehand -- being I'm in a lot of pain and want to be left alone.
I dunno. Maybe she is a bitch. Maybe she isn't. But the truth is, we don't know this woman.
And meeting her a few times does NOT constitute knowing her.
I mean, seriously, I recently returned to a vet office I used to work at to set up an appointment. The lady, who used to be a customer, who set up the appointment was flabbergasted that I could be so pleasant at all times after seeing what an asshole the head doctor was.

All that, I said, to say this: It could be an act. Really.

Devlin said:
Coming from the other side of this --- i.e. having a personality VERY similar to Naomi's: explosive temper, prickly as a cactus..that whole thing -- I have to say you guys sound very like a lot of people I've met during a bad period. I'm a mean, evil bitch because I snap and snarl when people try to touch and/or talk to me. My reason -- which most people never bother to ask beforehand -- being I'm in a lot of pain and want to be left alone.
I dunno. Maybe she is a bitch. Maybe she isn't. But the truth is, we don't know this woman.
And meeting her a few times does NOT constitute knowing her.
I mean, seriously, I recently returned to a vet office I used to work at to set up an appointment. The lady, who used to be a customer, who set up the appointment was flabbergasted that I could be so pleasant at all times after seeing what an asshole the head doctor was.

All that, I said, to say this: It could be an act. Really.

Everyone has bad days but not everyone physically abuses their personal assistant, housekeeper or whoever happens to cross their path. Assault is illegal.

Didn't Versace drop her because of her attitude? And recently Tyra Banks had Naomi on her show to confront her personally about the hell she has put her through while working with her....whether her bad attitude or tantrums is an act or not is still unprofessional behavior.

a-mole said:
hehe
I think the fact that she is able to laugh it off is quite cool
I would be embarrassed to no end

I fall over all the time and make, generally, a fool of myself, but I'm shameless, well almost shameless. Basically, I always laugh at myself because I do stupid stuff too often to get embarrassed.

Back to the point; obviously, none of us know Naomi as a close friend. As Devlin said, meeting her a few times doesn't mean you know her. I go on another website called geekstinkbreath.net, which is a Green Day site. So many of the people there dislike U2 and Bono. They say Bono's an arsehole and all this shite. But none of them have ever met him, even, but they're already judging him. Of course, I defend him, yada yada yada. But most of them are 12-18, and they're pretty hypocritical (they say they don't judge people or give them labels but they call Bono an arsehole, etc.) but most of you on here, I like because you're real friendly and you're older than that age group. You know better and it's easier to have a conversation with you. So, although I also wanted to called Naomi a bitch at the start, I read through the whole most and read what others had to say who were defending her and whatnot. And now I've changed my opinion. And, although people can have their bad days and all that, it isn't very professional to abuse and harm employees, but then again, this could just be the media blowing everything out of proportion.

Back
Top Bottom