Breakfast On Pluto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AMEN! I LOVE this movie!!! I've lost track of the number of times I've seen it now...I loved it so much that I went to see it TWICE when I was on vacation! Great cast. Bryan "Mr. Silky String" Ferry is fabulous!!!

Go, shoo...go rent this immediately!!! :wink:

So, I watched this again after I posted and it just gets better and better. This movie appeals to me on EVERY level. It's sad, it's funny, it's...terrific! Okay, I'll try not to gush anymore. Just to say Cillian Murphy is ace! :up: He should *at least* have won the Golden Globe. Hmph!

I watched it last week. The Stephen Rea and Gavin Friday scenes are amazing. I wish the Gavin Friday song (the first one where he performs with the band) was on the soundtrack.

I'm getting it for my birthday in 9 days! :hyper: I can't wait. I had no idea so many of these great actors you have mentioned were all in it! :ohmy:

I watched the extra features now, and I wanted the documentary to go on for a bit longer. My mate said that it should have before I saw it, and then I saw it, I completely agreed. I thought it was amusing when Cillian was being interviewed when he was all dressed up, but he had his low voice on, so yes, it were mintass.

Breakfast on Pluto is brilliant. Watched it three times since I got it, and stilled amazed each time I watch it.

Siren said:
I wish the Gavin Friday song (the first one where he performs with the band) was on the soundtrack.

:yes: That's the only thing that kept me from buying the soundtrack. It could have been so much better! (The soundtrack they put out...NOT Gavin's song, which was great.)

geegeelovesadam!
Yay, another BoP fan...I keep getting more things out of it every time I see it...do you find that too?

Oh, I said I was gonna shut up about this movie. Well, "liar!" :wink:

Bono Mot said:

geegeelovesadam!
Yay, another BoP fan...I keep getting more things out of it every time I see it...do you find that too?

Oh, I said I was gonna shut up about this movie. Well, "liar!" :wink:

Yeah, I pick up on more and more each time. It wows me how much there is to this movie, yet it doesn't feel overwhelming when you watch it.

Exactly! It seems like it would be a bit of fluff, but then you get into it and you're like "wow." But it leaves you with a good feeling...uh, unlike quite a few of Neil Jordan's films. Which I really like, but some of them leave me in a funk for days! :wink: BoP is really just a great film...too bad it didn't reach a wider audience. :sigh:

It really didn't get the attention it deserved. Although I understand that there isn't much of a market for films about Irish transvestites in the U.S., I still think that with a wee bit more advertising it would've drawn in a bigger audience.

Yes, everyone here that I told about it (and dragged to see it!) ended up just loving it...uh, except my husband. :madspit: I think "TransAmerica" overshadowed it, although I found Cillian's performace at least (if not more) touching than Felicity Huffman's. Just my opinion. :shrug:

Another thing that annoyed me was that even at the independent theaters around here, BoP was only on one week...hardly time to have word spread about it and get people to go see it.

I couldn't find it in any theaters here, not even independant ones, which I thought was odd considering that I live in the Los Angeles area.

I ended up just buying it from Suncoast after finding it filed under "Breakfast Club" (they really aren't that organized).

geegeelovesadam said:
It really didn't get the attention it deserved. Although I understand that there isn't much of a market for films about Irish transvestites in the U.S., I still think that with a wee bit more advertising it would've drawn in a bigger audience.

There's not much of a market in the States for films about Australian transvestites either, but I was fortunate enough to stumble upon "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" years ago & adore the film. I'm assuming that "Pluto" follows the same lines?

Wow, I haven't seen "Pricilla..." in years! Thanks for reminding me of that one. I loved that movie too. I think if you liked that one, you'll like BoP. The struggle to keep one's individuality is a common theme in both of them. And there's also the fashion! :wink:

I just watched BOP finally and I loved it! Gavin was great! And Cillian was amazing. (1st time for me to see him in something that he wasn't scarey) I really liked it :yes:

^^ Yay! I thought you'd like it! It's a movie that really grows on you too, so watch it again...several times, even! :wink:

Bono Mot said:

:yes: That's the only thing that kept me from buying the soundtrack. It could have been so much better! (The soundtrack they put out...NOT Gavin's song, which was great.)

I'm still hoping the song will be released one day or maybe someone extracted the audio from the DVD.

I watched that the Gavin Friday scenes several times. Liam Neeson did a good job in the film as well.

^Wish I had the means and know-how to extract audio from a DVD. :sad:

Gavin's not on the soundtrack?? wtf! Hmm... My daughter has extracted songs off of dvd's for me before.... :hmm: another project for the kid.... they are going to get wise soon and start running in the opposite direction when they see me coming!

I just had to join in on the BoP love! I adore the movie! I have watched it way to many times. I think Cillian is fabulous as Kitten. And Gavin Friday is perfect as Billy Hatchet. I ordered the book yesterday to see how different it is from the film.

^Yay Russty Cat! Share the BoP love! I've gotta say, you'll find the book WAY different from the movie...it's very, very gritty and, well, someone has a different name, as you'll see. I'd be interested to know what you thought about the book when you finish it though!

I'll definetly let you know Bono Mot. I'm still waiting for it to come. I hate living in a small town sometimes. :madspit: Its been shipped from San Francisco the city of all that is open and understanding. ;) We have watched the movie so many times now I think its permanently etched in my brain. :lol:

Hi Russty Cat!

Hope you get the book soon; I don't know many people that have read it. I actually read it ahead of the movie (and after!), so the whole business was fascinating to me, wondering how the film would go. I know what you mean about the movie being etched into your brain though! :wink: Did you see this bit in the Gavin interview from U2.com? Interesting!

U2.Com: It wasn’t a very long rest, because ‘Pluto’ was released and you were promoting it ?

Yes, there was two months of promotion, a lot of Plutoisation, and then agents wanted to meet me because I got some good reviews. But I related to that movie very well, I grew up in that era, the seventies and if you look at the original book by Patrick McCabe it’s dedicated to me and my ex-wife and there’s a bit of a Virgin Prune about the lead character, ridiculing and laughing, and it’s all the stuff the Irish didn’t talk about in those days - sexuality, priests having sex, abortion, drugs, the political issues we had to put up with which we pushed under the carpet. And then there’s this innocent who laughed at it and moved on. It’s a beautiful document of that time and it was a privilege to work on. I got a bit of the bug too, I’d love to do more of the acting. But everyone seems to cast me as a baddie. I wonder why…

Back
Top Bottom