Bono's wedding ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate1

War Child
Hi im just wondering why Bono wears his wedding ring on his little finger?

Is it because it doesn't fit?
Or is it an Irish thing?

I think it's an Irish thing. It's like the family ring. I know this one guy that comes here that's an apprentice he's from Ireland and he has one too. :shrug:

Doesn't Larry have some kind of ring like that? There was a discussion once in Zootopia about that. He wears it like a wedding ring and it almost looks like one...

And I think I've seen Bono wear what looks like a class ring. Check stills from when he was on Oprah. I think that's where I saw it.

Bono used to wear a wedding ring (you'll see it in countless images/videos throughout the 80s), but seems to have stopped some time in the early 90s. If you watch the drag version of One, you will see that he is wearing his wedding ring on the traditional finger, and the signet ring on the small finger. But for many years now it's only been the signet ring. Ali also seems to be ringless now. I've seen many pictures of her in the last few years with no rings whatsoever. (Maybe they gave up on wearing the wedding rings because for some people they suggest "ownership".):shrug:

biff said:
Bono used to wear a wedding ring (you'll see it in countless images/videos throughout the 80s), but seems to have stopped some time in the early 90s. If you watch the drag version of One, you will see that he is wearing his wedding ring on the traditional finger, and the signet ring on the small finger. But for many years now it's only been the signet ring. Ali also seems to be ringless now. I've seen many pictures of her in the last few years with no rings whatsoever. (Maybe they gave up on wearing the wedding rings because for some people they suggest "ownership".):shrug:

My parents stopped wearing their rings because they didn't fit anymore (they've been married almost 30 years :) ). Now that my mother has lost weight, she wears her wedding ring and engagement ring occasionally, but if she feels like wearing other rings, she takes them off :lol:

Several friends of mine is from Ireland. And all of them wear wedding bands on the left ring fingers.

But, I have wondered why Bono and Alison, never seem to wear theirs. I am married to my husband for 21 years. And both of use wear wedding bands, as a sign of our love and commitment to one, another. Plus you can have a ring resized, if needed.

AWWW THATS SWEET! My mum lost both her engagement and wedding rings accidently :huh: . Know she wants my dad to replace the engagement ring, guess what he said. lol!

My dad hasn't got a wedding ring cos he said its not 'manly', but he wears other rings :huh: :huh:

They are weard!

I think wedding rings warn off horny men and women, to say hay look im married. i can't wait! lol!

biff said:

I knew I'd seen him wear it up until UF, I didn't notice exactly when he stopped.

What is a signet ring? Does it bare the initial of your first name?

At a Irish specialty stores in Baltimore, and eleswhere, you can get a plaque with your family's Coat of Arms. But, this is limited to about fourty names (old Irish clans). They didn't have one for the family name of Hewson. I checked. The reason, I am passing this along is because. It was mentioned in another post, that a gentlemen from Ireland was wearing a family crest ring. I have a plaque with the Coat of Arms for my mother's maiden name. Kelly or (O'Ceallaigh) in Irish. I need to get one for my maiden name, Brown (Mac a' Bhruithin). I hope this was of some help.

Take Care

Maeve

Maeve said:
What is a signet ring? Does it bare the initial of your first name?

At a Irish specialty stores in Baltimore, and eleswhere, you can get a plaque with your family's Coat of Arms. But, this is limited to about fourty names (old Irish clans). They didn't have one for the family name of Hewson. I checked. The reason, I am passing this along is because. It was mentioned in another post, that a gentlemen from Ireland was wearing a family crest ring. I have a plaque with the Coat of Arms for my mother's maiden name. Kelly or (O'Ceallaigh) in Irish. I need to get one for my maiden name, Brown (Mac a' Bhruithin). I hope this was of some help.

Take Care

Maeve

Might want to do a search on Rankin too. I am pretty sure that was Bono's mom maiden name.

Kate1 said:

My dad hasn't got a wedding ring cos he said its not 'manly', but he wears other rings :huh: :huh:

LOL my father said the same thing, although he did have a ring...he never wore it. When he died, I asked my mom for it and I wear it now.

RockNRollDawgie said:

Might want to do a search on Rankin too. I am pretty sure that was Bono's mom maiden name.

"Rankin", was not listed in the book, "Clans and Families of Ireland" by John Grenham. But many Irish surnames are not there, unless, they date back eight centuries or more.

I just noticed another celebrity who wears a ring on his pinky finger as well and this guy also wears his wedding band. But he's not Irish; It's Graham "Suggs" Mcpherson, Madness frontman. I noticed it while watching the music videos for Lovestruck and Drip Fed Fred that are both on the Divine Madness DVD. Maybe it's just a middle aged men thing:hmm:

Last edited:
It is a clan ring thing, I believe. I just wrote to Carl Smyth "Chas Smash" and he says Suggs ring is a Clan Mcpherson ring. So theirs are probably as have been suggested, clan rings.

So I'm jumping into this really late but... whatever.

A signet ring is a ring you get at 18, that would traditionally have symbolic family meaning - my signet ring has the arrow of my family.

The thing about the books of 'Irish' last names, is that a lot of them imply that people with the same name are all related. But because of the size of families, etc.etc.etc. it would be rare for people to be related - for example, I know two 'Foleys' from the same small town in Ireland, who aren't related.

As for the wedding ring - it's a personal thing. My dad doesn't wear his wedding ring, my mam wears her 'fancy' wedding ring, but not the band.

Back
Top Bottom