Bono's throat surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone know for a fact why exactly Bono had throat surgery in the 90s? I'd always thought that it was something for vocal nodes, or him being sick (I think there is a surgery for chronic sinusitis). But hasn't he said in some very recent interviews that he was told he might have cancer?

I'm just wondering if he had the same surgery my dad had a while back. He had a tumor removed from his neck/throat under his his left jaw/ear area. The tumor was from smoking and luckily did not turn out to be cancerous. Not a big deal now, but scary back when it happened.

He had some sort of surgery, but I'm wondering if it was related to the cancer scare or just something simple like removing vocal nodes....

I always thought it was for his sinuses...??? At least, that's what I thought I read. Hm. But you're right; he did say recently that he was concerned about cancer.

I'm glad to hear your father is okay. :)

As I recall it was for either throat nodes or sinuses. Most of the articles were by people who thought it was for a sinus problem. I haven't read the cancer thing. You know how the press is, they sensationalize in order to sell their product. I don't really believe the cancer thing. It sounds like tabloid garbage. He sure did look healthy the other night in Atlanta.

verte76 said:
As I recall it was for either throat nodes or sinuses. Most of the articles were by people who thought it was for a sinus problem. I haven't read the cancer thing. You know how the press is, they sensationalize in order to sell their product. I don't really believe the cancer thing. It sounds like tabloid garbage. He sure did look healthy the other night in Atlanta.

He was the one that brought it up. I know I read it somewhere in the past few weeks....probably the RS interview? I'll have to look.....I thought he said something about how there was a time he was too scared to tell the band and was worried for his kids, etc.

This is why I wondered, b/c previously all of the articles I've read referred to it as nodes or sinusitis, but I don't remember ever reading that quoted from Bono himself. And now he's talking about how there was a chance he had cancer....

ah HA I've found it...."At one point I thought I might have throat cancer....I didn't even tell the band. My voice had been on low par for five years. It started after the ZooTV tour....The singing on the Pop album isn't very good. The tour I found difficult to do...I don't want to get too melodramatic about it, but actually it is pretty melodramatic if you think you mightn't be around to see your kids. But luckily I'm out of those woods."

So, I guess I've found the answer to my own question b/c this was 2000, and his "surgery" was during or after PopMart, no?

I always thought it was after PopMart, but prior to Elevation. So um... *calculates* I don't know. Whatever years were between them:eyebrow:

I always thought it was to do with smoking and his getting sick all the time, you can definately hear the decline in his voice during ATYCLB. It's definately improved lately though, in my humble opinion.

I have no idea where I'm basing these things off of, by the way. Probably just random things I've heard over time.

It was before the Elevation tour, he mentioned it in 2001. I am pretty sure it was 1999. He may have had a new operation I don't know about.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
ah HA I've found it...."At one point I thought I might have throat cancer....I didn't even tell the band. My voice had been on low par for five years. It started after the ZooTV tour....The singing on the Pop album isn't very good. The tour I found difficult to do...I don't want to get too melodramatic about it, but actually it is pretty melodramatic if you think you mightn't be around to see your kids. But luckily I'm out of those woods."

I read that article on a plane a few weeks ago. I got to that part and almost started to cry. I had to put the magazine away because it was too upsetting to read something like that. It makes me sick to think about it.....I don't know where I would be without that man's beautiful voice :sad:

Back
Top Bottom