Bono's Smok'in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LostAtMoon said:
Yes he was told by doctors that his vocals cords could be severely damaged if he didn’t stop smoking. Thank God it never happened. I even think his voice is so much better now than it used to be during the Elevation tour.
This picture gives the creeps.:yikes:

06fa6204.jpg

I agree! This picture shocked me when I first saw it. I absolutely hate it! It pulls you up fast and makes you think. I can't understand why smokers, when they're ill will leave off the weed, but as soon as they're better - out come the fags! I'd like to call them total idiots at this point, but everyone has a right to do what they choose and we're not to judge. I guess it's one of those things that we've got to accept. Unless the desire is there to quit, then all the nagging in the world won't make any difference. If you enjoy something you're not going to willingly give it up are you?

All we can do is hope that he gives it up cos he wants to and not because he has to..

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Look at what happened to Michael Stipe's voice from R.E.M., he hasn't stopped at all, but I believe in Bono.

That picture's gonna make me cry.:sad:

LostAtMoon said:

My mother and I have tried that for ages and it never worked. Recently my dad has been having some really bad stomach problems and has been trying to quit but he just can’t do it. He says it’s stronger than himself. There’s nothing more I can do, just hope that nothing worse will happen.:|

When I talk to my mother about her quitting smoking, she just tunes me out. She literally doesn't respond to me, except to say stuff like "uh huh, yes I know" not even looking at me. She quit once, for almost two years using the nicotine patch, and then got a really stressful job and started sneaking cigarettes again. She quit the job, but has smoked again ever since :| . She used to be a nurse, so she knows better too. It's no use talking to her.

Last edited:
I'm staring at his chest!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I know Carmel, but why must he make everything soooo sexy??? :wink:

Agreed, he even makes an arm sling for a dislocated shoulder sexy...
bonoarmslingbwACdouble2.jpg

bonoarmslingbwACdouble1.jpg

(sorry, I know he's not "smoking" here, but well, he is smokin!

Supposedly, people who smoke cigars and pipes don't inhale. They absorb nicotine through their membranes in their mouths, keeping nick-fits from happening. I wish he'd give it up, too, but it's his choice. But we want him to keep his voice in good shape, dammit!

Bono needs to spare his health and knock the habit if he hasn't yet :sad:

On October 28th Vertigo Houston Bono signed my painting "no cigar but champagne though." I guess this could mean that he has dropped the habit, or atleast is aware that he should.

DSCN3026.jpg

My boyfriend smokes and it's coming to the point where I'm going to start hiding his cigarettes. He has had problems with his sinuses and I think him smoking is making it worse. :(

In recent pics I haven't seen any of Bono smoking which is good.

We all know smoking isn't good for ANYBODY - but Bono is an adult and has to make his own decisions. I'm sure he realises the risks...

Have any of you ever been addicted to something?

I get the feeling you haven't.

Not to make excuses for Bono, but if you've never smoked and never been addicted to something, it's not that easy to just quit.

I smoked cigarettes for eight years. I started when I was 18 and quit when I was 26 because I started having pains in my chest. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I haven't had a cigarette in over two years now, but I think about smoking a lot.

I'm sure you all know that cigarettes contain nicotine, which is a highly addictive poison. Some researchers believe it's harder to kick nicotine than heroin. I can't say, as I've never been addicted to heroin. ;) But please bear in mind that quitting smoking is not something that most smokers can just do with a snap of their fingers. Yes, some people have quit cold turkey, but the vast majority of smokers I've known (including myself) have not been successful with the cold turkey method. The smoker has to really, really want to stop. For some people, this revelation comes faster than others. My great-uncle died of lung cancer and he smoked right up to the end. I wouldn't say he chose to smoke; in fact, after a certain amount of time, I don't think ANY smokers CHOOSE to smoke anymore. You become addicted and you can't stop without help.

So please consider that before you make any judgments on smokers and before you start sending any petitions to Bono about his smoking. He's a grown man and I'm sure he's fully aware of the dangers of smoking. :)

All right, except I don't believe I singled you out personally with my post. If you feel I did, I'm sorry.

I was just trying to make some general statements from the "other side," if you will. That's all.

And naturally we're all concerned about Bono's health. I was just trying to make the point that he knows it's not good for him, but if he is in fact still smoking or started up again, it's not for us to try to tell him what he should or shouldn't be doing.

Of course, this doesn't matter if he isn't smoking anymore at all, which I hope is the case! :)

My husband has chewed tobacco for about 20 and has no ability to stop. I throw away every can of it I find and it has come to the point that he swallows it rather than let me on to the fact it is in his mouth. He has tried numerous times to stop and simply can not. It has nothing to so with how strong he is mentally. Some people just cannot quit their addictions. It pains me to watch it so much. I would be lost if anything happens to him.

aislinn said:
Have any of you ever been addicted to something?

I get the feeling you haven't.

Not to make excuses for Bono, but if you've never smoked and never been addicted to something, it's not that easy to just quit.

I smoked cigarettes for eight years. I started when I was 18 and quit when I was 26 because I started having pains in my chest. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I haven't had a cigarette in over two years now, but I think about smoking a lot.

I'm sure you all know that cigarettes contain nicotine, which is a highly addictive poison. Some researchers believe it's harder to kick nicotine than heroin. I can't say, as I've never been addicted to heroin. ;) But please bear in mind that quitting smoking is not something that most smokers can just do with a snap of their fingers. Yes, some people have quit cold turkey, but the vast majority of smokers I've known (including myself) have not been successful with the cold turkey method. The smoker has to really, really want to stop. For some people, this revelation comes faster than others. My great-uncle died of lung cancer and he smoked right up to the end. I wouldn't say he chose to smoke; in fact, after a certain amount of time, I don't think ANY smokers CHOOSE to smoke anymore. You become addicted and you can't stop without help.

So please consider that before you make any judgments on smokers and before you start sending any petitions to Bono about his smoking. He's a grown man and I'm sure he's fully aware of the dangers of smoking. :)

I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent. In my experience, it's more than just determining whether there is a choice to smoke, but whether you choose to TRY to quit. My dad is completely adicted to smoking, there's really no choice in the matter and hasn't been for over 30 years. However, he's never really tried to quit. Honestly, I think he's embarrased and doesn't want to make a big issue out of it. He's so afraid he'll relapse that he won't even try, so instead he pretends nothing is wrong and manages to smoke through a pack a day in private. The hardest part will be getting him to just admit that it's a BIG problem and that no one believes it will be easy, but he HAS to try. This is why I worry about Bono, b/c his lifestyle would make it very easy for him to just pretend it's a non-issue and deny the existence of any problem (not to mention the deaths of his mother and father point to other health problems that smoking would just perpetuate, so he's already at a greater health risk than many smokers). Like any addiction, it's pretty much impossible for the person addicted to just quit on their own. It's fair to say Bono's a grown man and knows what's good for him, doesn't need to be preached at, but it's also fair to say he would probably not be able to fully quit without any kind of pressure and help from friends and family. Unforuntately, none of us here fall into those two categories so we really have no right to say anything to him, but that's just the way I see it. If you assume there is no choice in whether or not to smoke, you've also got to assume there's no easy choice in quitting on one's own. So to say smoking (when addicted) is not a choice, but then say people are grown-ups and can make their own choices is kind of a paradox that takes a very significant and difficult issue and brings it down to a personal choice. The problem I have with this is that smoking doesn't effect a single person. I've been exposed to second-hand smoke since birth, as well as my siblings. My mom's family had to deal with helping my grandpa recover from four seperate heart attacks, the last one leaving him comatose for some time. Our family has had to deal with a major surgery on my dad's throat. Everytime the phone rings and it's a call I'm not expecting, in the back of my mind I think it will be bad news about grandpa or dad. In the end, whether or not there is a choice and what those choices are have little to do with smoking. It's whether or not you want to keep sucking the life out of your friends and family everytime you buy another pack.

Last edited:
but then say people are grown-ups and can make their own choices is kind of a paradox that takes a very significant and difficult issue and brings it down to a personal choice.

I never said that, though.

I said Bono is an adult and understands the consequences of his behavior. That's all.

I also don't think you can assume anything when it comes to an addiction. Sure, I said once you're addicted to cigarettes, it is no longer a choice about smoking. I do believe, though, that a person can make the decision to quit. Most smokers do, at one time or another--but a lot of them fail. That decision is best reached by the smoker, because like I said in my first post, you really really have to want to stop. And pressuring smokers to quit doesn't help them; in most cases, it only serves to aggravate the problem and the smoker. Probably because they know they shouldn't smoke, yet they don't appreciate being nagged at and feel powerless against the addiction--either that, or they just enjoy smoking so much, they don't want to stop.

Bono, Please stop smoking. It is so bad for you and I want you around for a long time.

dang the timing of these threads is amazing!
this morning, I was watching my brand new Best of 1990-200 dvdm the Phil Joanou version of One... and my mum came in with 'He smokes??:huh: '
and I was like.. uh yeah.. but this is 1992 eh... and she was like still... he smokes?
my reaction: Your husband smokes all his life, first get him to quit and then start about Bono! !
my father smokes way too much and refuses to quit! my mother doesn't do anything about it, because she thinks it won't have any effect....

Actually, are we sure that he still smokes though?? I haven't seen him with a ciggy for a long time, and he had that cigar thing going on a little while ago. I think he's cut back though, not quit entirely. But still, the man should know the risk factors! :mad:

He has a family history of cancer - both his mom and his dad, docs told him its terrible for his voice - the thing that made him famous in the first place - and he's had surgery for it before. So I think he's cut down not quit.

:madwife: at Bono!! Quit now!

The only reason I put that avatar in is because he looks so cool like an 'I don't care about anything' look to him there! It wouldn't matter if he had a lollipop in his mouth instead, still would be my avatar because he looks so hot!!!!

We all don't want Bono to smoke because we love him so much, and we want to continue buying U2's albums and going to their tours.

But the avatar thing, yeah I was thinking about it before I made that post, but y'know I'm still gonna keep it cause he just looks so:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom