Bono's scar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonooneblue1.jpg

Speaking of Bono's chin, I remembered reading another account of when he hurt himself, and I managed to dig up the thread. The account is from Bono's cousin AJ Rankin, who works for the band and whose job is to look after Bono during shows (and try to prevent him from falling off the stage :wink: )

Not long after I had gone out on the road with them, at the start of The Joshua Tree tour in Tempe, Arizona, Bono was experimenting with the big hand-held spotlight that he used to turn on the audience. He turns round and tells Willie (Williams, Show Designer) to turn out all the lights – and, as he did, he fell off the stage, landing on Fraser McAllister, his guitar tec at the time.
Bono was bleeding big time. I think he got seven or eight stitches in the chin. I remember sitting at the back of the stadium with Steve Iredale and crying. I thought my tour was over! Technically, it was my job to catch him and I felt I had failed in my responsibility. But the lights were out and I couldn’t see him when he fell down the hole in the stage. The light hit him in the chin and cut him open. But my tour of duty continues and over the years my job has become less hazardous – for example we now have radio mikes so I don’t have to run around paging out cable to him wherever he is on the stage. I tell you, this wasn’t an easy job – especially if he decided to climb off the stage and into the audience!

It was originally quoted by Greety here:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174591&perpage=15&pagenumber=19

Back
Top Bottom