Bono's "Mysterious Ways" : A Birthday Tribute (10 May)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What is "it" about Bono? What is it about him that makes millions of people around the world love him, admire him and respect him?

This is a question that I have asked myself thousands of times over the nearly 25 years that I have followed U2. The answer has always eluded me. But, as I reflect on this question on the eve of U2's "Vertigo" tour in Chicago this week, I think that I've finally found what I'm looking for.

There are many things about the "B-man" to like. There is his incredibly openness to life - to fully appreciate and affirm every person that he meets and every experience that he has. This attribute of Bono's is the most striking feature of his that you see on your first encounter with him.

Then there is Bono's endearing sense of humor (which is often self-deprecating). This, I feel, is often Bono's BEST attribute. With his quick mind and his sardonic wit, Bono can easily turn critics into supporters, apathetics into activists and, I bet, a few agnostics into believers.

Why? Because Bono's humor levels the playing field - it knocks people off their self-proclaimed pedestals (himself included) and creates an atmosphere in which everyone is equal. And it is easier to listen to what someone has to say when you can look him in the eyes.

Of course, who could forget Bono's amazing mind which has been able to write such simple yet prolific lyrics through the last twenty-five years and which continually touch us with their honesty and their relevance in our daily lives.

Then there is Bono's Heart - a heart so big that it has almost literally thrown its arms around the world. From Bosnia to Burma, from Ulster to Uganda (and all of Africa), Bono has embraced the pain and suffering of the world's poorest and most desparate people aand has made it an INTEGRAL part of his character to uplift them and to give them Hope. And, in this process, to uplift ALL of humankind to a higher level of Compassion.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention Bono's tremendous personal charisma and good looks. Although short in stature, Bono commands your attention (and sometimes your heart) with his well-proportioned frame, perfectly chiseled good looks and piercing blue eyes. It's sometimes enough to almost make you forget about all of the B-man's other attributes.

So then, what is "it" about Bono? While all the above-mentioned attributes of Bono's are impressive, there is still ONE attribute of his that, I feel, is the main reason that makes us gravitate toward Bono.

It is Bono's endless optimism - his undaunting ability to see the light through the darkness and his enthusiasm for all of us to "go there" with him. From the beginning of U2 to the present, Bono has always held on to a worldview that "Love and Peace" interspersed with justice for ALL was possible. In this quest, Bono has used any means necessary to inspire us with the idea that we also can be part of his worldview.

At every opportunity, Bono implores us to "begin again" and to "dream out loud" and never tires in this endeavor of changing the world by changing the world inside each one of us.

And we respond to his optimism, his sense of purpose, his vision. Because deep down inside ourselves we want to believe in Bono's vision - we want to hold on to his optimism because we want to have whatever "it" is that Bono has.

And we do - deep down inside each one of us the kernel of Hope for a better world does exist. WE JUST NEEDED BONO TO BRING "IT" OUT OF US.

So THANK YOU, BONO. may you have a wonderful birthday full of the Love and Joy that you bring the world.

My only wish for you is that you will be blessed with many more birthdays. We need you in our world for as long as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear PLEBA,

Please feel free to post your b-day wishes, comments and pics for the B-man if you wish.

I hope you like my tribute to the man who stands tallest in our world - Bono.

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU....:wink:

Wonderfully put! :applaud:

On the part about Bono's lyrics influencing us...I can say that his lyrics have influenced my views on faith and spirituality and changed them for the better.

I can't agree more! :applaud:

I have much admiration and love for this man. He has a mysterious power in him that can make anyone feel that anything is possible! :heart:

thanks so much for all the positive vibes so far for the B-man!

This piece wrote itself on the plane to Chicago yesterday so I know that it came from that "other place".

Loving Bono completely and wishing him the absolute best always. :wink:

Jamila

Thanks...everything you said is so true.

May Bono have the best birthday ever, with his wishes for the world to become reality and comes straight from wizard2c's :heart:

carol
wizard2c
:|

Thanks, everyone, so far for very positive response to this post.

As I said, the article wrote itself so it seems that there is a bigger force in the Universe that is smiling for Bono's birthday.

Let's continue these very loving responses all the way through the B-man's birthday! :wink:

Thank you for this beautiful post, Jamila. During Yahweh, Bono and I made eye contact. I smiled. He smiled back. And for a moment, I felt like the only person in the world.

How does Bono make me feel? Like there is nothing I can't do. Like I am unique. Like the world is mine. I only need to dream it loud enough.

Jamila--thanks for those wonderful words about Bono. I hope he has the best birthday ever. The man has everything that is important in life besides wealth! My prayers always include him. Happy Birthday! :love: :heart: :bono:

I know I already commented, but I just re-read it again. I think you put it perfectly how everyone feels about Bono. Great job. :up:

And happy birthday Bono! :D

Jamila - that was beautiful. :love: Thank you so much for putting into complete words what so many of us have thought about only in fragments. I wish that Bono could see your heartfelt ode to him.

Bono is amazing individual. His is a beautiful story. A tremendous heart. He's a mystery that I'm thoroughly enjoying learning about.

I've often read that you can learn a lot about a person by the people that he keeps company with and those that love him.

Well...I can only read about the company he keeps, but I've gotten to know some of you on this forum. The people that love him are as beautiful as the man. :hug:

Happy Birthday Bono--an inspiring and sensitive soul.

"The iconomist"

For the Scandinavians on here:
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=276723

(Great birthday article from Stein Østbø (One of the most famous and respected music reviewers in Norway) in "VG" (Norways biggest newspaper).

I thougt I should translate this into english, so look out for it in the news section:wink:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO!

Thanks, everyone, for your very kind words of support on this piece.

Actually, I've met Bono (again) on both 9 and 10 May (when I gave him an Iris flower for his b-day) and will be going to the UC again tomorrow and it is my every intention to do my best for him to have a copy of this piece.

Since this could not be Interference's Bono birthday tribute, I took the liberty to post this tribute in Zootopia and in several of the main U2 yahoogroups and EVERYONE who responded has responded just as enthusiastically as you all have here, so I KNOW THIS MUST BE READ BY THE B-MAN!

Also, I have a Bono story from Monday that is hidden somewhere in the pages of Interference - for now, I'll let you find it.

Suffice to say, the B-man was SO MOVED by our encounter that evryone around us commented if I already knew him - the vibe was that intense.

Wish me success tomorrow - Bono must read this. It will truly elevate him. :wink:

Yesterday, Bono was in a rush and didn't spend hardly any time with the people waiting outside in the 40 degree weather for 4 hours for him.

He shook some hands and signed only two-three autographs (I helped an 11 year girl get one of them) but since I already had two very good Bono experiences this week, I didn't want to appear greedy and push myself into the limelight again.

My best Bono moments come when Bono solicits them. :wink:

So I've sent a copy of the article to an associate within PM wh I'm sure will email it to him.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and good thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom