Bono's height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galves

Babyface
hi everybody, a friend of mine keeps asking this nagging question: he wants to know for sure how tall Bono is. I checked it out at IMDb and found out he is 5ft 8' or thereabouts, but he insists that he's shorter. Does anyone know for sure his height or where we can find reliable information?

After standing next to him, I'd guess he's 5'6" or 5'7" standing barefoot (his shoes probably make him more like 5'8"). I don't think he's shorter than I am and I'm just shy of 5'7".

From www.u2faq.com:

{MJS} Their official heights are: Bono is 5'8", Edge is 5'10", Adam is 5'10", Larry is 5'7". This is the second most popular topic of FAQ mail. Everyone has a theory. Unless someone can provide conclusive prove as to a correlation between height and musical ability or plans to field an all-U2 basketball team or a note from the school nurse attesting to their heights, this answer will stand.

I think Gavin let it slip that Bono was 5'6". :shrug: NOBODY knows.

So, while we're guessing, how tall are the other guys of the "official" height isn't correct? :huh:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
After standing next to him, I'd guess he's 5'6" or 5'7" standing barefoot (his shoes probably make him more like 5'8"). I don't think he's shorter than I am and I'm just shy of 5'7".

He isn't tall, but it's not like he's too short either. I think you're probably right in your estimate. :up:

A friend of mine who works at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame said when he stood next to her, she thought he was about 5'6". We'll probably never really know, unless we actually hold him down and measure him. Hmmmmmmm, now that's an idea..... :drool:

with a voice like (the body isn't too shabby either)that I really don't care how tall he is - but considering that I am around stump size (5'4") pretty much everyone is taller than I am

Whatever his height, he is quite a bit taller then me! Nurse chrissi, at 5'4, you beat me! I'm only 5'1. And believe me, whenever anyones asks, I never forget that 1. My shoes usually add four or five inches, though.

I got all a y'all beat... 4'10" :reject:

and when I was standing right near him in Philly, he wasn't ALL that much taller than me. I'd say 5'6".

It's not important any road. Though it's common knowledge amongst us shorter types, we often develop a personality large enough to make up for the height deficit..... B wouldn't be the same man if he hadn't been insecure about it, you know?

I had a quite long discussion about this on another forum and I must say I still can't believe Bono is taller than Larry.
put these two next to each other and I think Larry always looks taller, so I'ld estimate Bono around 5.6
It's all about the shoes :wink:

from The One campaign kickoff in Philly...

bonotumbo2.jpg

the man to the left of Bono, who's head is missing, is Dikembe Mutumbo, center for the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association. He stands 7'2".

0002058v.jpg

the man to the right of Bono is, obviously, President George W. Bush. He stands 5'11"...

you can do the math people...

Last edited:
Although Bono may be shorter than W he is infinately more impressive on so many levels (the levels at which I speak of can be left to one's imagination):wink: . And A 7'2"? That just isn't right (pondering logistics of that...)
Hugs
Chrissi

Everyone who has met him usually says that they think he's about 5'6" (same height as me!). (Bono that is, not Dikembe.) And Edge does not look 5'10". I always thought he looks about the same as Bono and Larry; Adam looks the tallest. But what do I know? I've never met them. :|

wolfeden said:

No, I stood right next to the man. I can vouch for it.
Dikembe is at LEAST 7'2" and his feet are size 22..

My face was at the same height as his BELT BUCKLE.
:ohmy:

:shocked: How does anyone get to be that tall!!! The mind boggles. I want to stand next to someone 7'2! Why? I don't know. But I have a new goal in life! Okay, I am now officially :coocoo:.

And I agree, not meaning any offense to Edge, that he doesn't look 5'10. He appears taller then Bono and Larry, but shorter then Adam.

Keocmb said:
Heels are goooooooood. Tall is good. :up:
Oh I didn't mean to say they are bad. I've just never really worn them, I used to be quite the tomboy. :reject:

I just realized the irony of me complaining about heels and height when the soles on my Docs are nearly 2 inches thick. :uhoh:

I think 5'6" is about right. I'm 5'2", and both times I met him I was at work, so I was more than likely wearing 3" or 4" heels, and he was only a bit taller than me. I'd say he's about the same height as my fiance.

Actually - BONO IS LARGER THAN LIFE!:wink:

So why should we worry about his physical height when his Heart can throw his arms around the world?:yes:

Just a thought....

BONO - YOU ARE DEARLY LOVED NO MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. YOU STAND TALLER THAN MOST MEN IN THE WORLD!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, DEAR MAN - and ditch those 4 inch high shoes. If people respect you, they still will with you in sandals! :bono: :heart: :heart: :wave: :angel: :hug:

Jamila said:

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, DEAR MAN - and ditch those 4 inch high shoes. If people respect you, they still will with you in sandals!

I find it endearing but also more than a little bit sad that someone as powerful and well-loved as Bono is still so obvously insecure about his height. People can be very cruel, and it seems the cruellest and most painful taunts focus on characteristics over which we mostly have no control: skin colour, height, and (the lack of) hair. Bullying and nasty jibes can inflict damage on anyone, and many people never fully recover from this kind of abuse, even when they're viewed as great achievers.:(

Thank you, biff, I think we need to give Bono ALL the encouragement and support to JUST BE HIMSELF - whether in his personal and/or professional life.:yes:

We need to remember that he is just as human (and thus as susceptible to insecurity) as we are. He needs us to give him nothing but UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.:up: :hug:

I LOVE AND ACCEPT THE B-MAN NO MATTER WHAT HIS HEIGHT, HIS HAIRLINE, HIS WEIGHT OR THE COLOR OF HIS BULGARIS!:love:

I JUST THINK BONO IS THE BEST!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

BONO - JUST BE YOURSELF. YOU ARE FINE JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!

biff said:
I find it endearing but also more than a little bit sad that someone as powerful and well-loved as Bono is still so obvously insecure about his height. People can be very cruel, and it seems the cruellest and most painful taunts focus on characteristics over which we mostly have no control: skin colour, height, and (the lack of) hair. Bullying and nasty jibes can inflict damage on anyone, and many people never fully recover from this kind of abuse, even when they're viewed as great achievers.:(

Very well said. If only more people realized the power their words have over others... :sigh:

As wonderful and influential as Bono is, I'm sure it hurts him when someone makes fun of his height, girth, freckles, whatever. But we know he is a beautiful man, inside and out. :up:

Sue DeNym said:

As wonderful and influential as Bono is, I'm sure it hurts him when someone makes fun of his height

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually hurt him more for this reason. He's worked hard and has achieved a great deal, and yet the first thing someone might say is "Oh, he's so small!"
What's he supposed to do about it?
Studies have shown that tall people generally are trusted more and get better jobs, and yet tallness in and of itself imparts no special moral worth. People just act as if it does. How many times have you heard one of your girlfriends say admiringly of a guy, "Ooh, he's so tall!", as if this makes him somehow a better person?

Sorry for the rant. :reject:

The reason I haven't posted in this thread yet is because, if he is 'insecure' about it, seeing people discussing it like this would not make him happy. If I had a forum, I'd close all things questioning his appearance, height, weight, hair, same as they do for questioning 'affairs' and 'sexuality.' To me it's all personal stuff that is not our business anyway. If he's sensitive about it and we care about him, I just don't think it's nice. :( :shrug: That's just how I feel.

And ever notice it's usually a 'newbie' with one post who starts these threads? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom