Bono's height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
The reason I haven't posted in this thread yet is because, if he is 'insecure' about it, seeing people discussing it like this would not make him happy. If I had a forum, I'd close all things questioning his appearance, height, weight, hair, same as they do for questioning 'affairs' and 'sexuality.' To me it's all personal stuff that is not our business anyway. If he's sensitive about it and we care about him, I just don't think it's nice. :( :shrug: That's just how I feel.

You're right, and I'm glad you spoke up. I'm a little ashamed now. :tsk: This sort of discussion kind of goes against everything he has worked for IMO. (I hope that makes sense, I couldn't quite think of how to word it.) I think I just won't participate in future topics like this. :|

I think this sums it up anyway.
Unless someone can provide conclusive prove as to a correlation between height and musical ability or plans to field an all-U2 basketball team or a note from the school nurse attesting to their heights, this answer will stand.

Last edited:
a friend of mine met Bono, and said he is shorter than him, and my friend is 5'7'' so we're thinking about 5'6''. who cares anyway, Bono's a cute little package!

Height is a very personal issue because it's the one thing about ourselves that can't be changed. My son is 6'4" and has been tall for his age all his life. He hit 6 foot at only 13. By the time he was 10, he was already being accused of being too old to trick or treat and was even denied candy by some people. He is also very sensitive about his height. He HATES it when almost everybody who sees him says:

"Wow, you sure are tall!"
"You get taller every time I see you"
"When you gonna stop growing, boy?"
"Does your mom put fertilizer in your shoes?"
"I bet you're the star of the basketball team!" (he hates sports)
"Hey, big guy!"
"How's it look from up there?"

You get the idea. He does not like his height being made an issue. I'm sorry but it's just as bad when it's mentioned in a way that's trying to be a compliment, it's still making it an issue and the person would rather it not be. I bet Bono gets just as tired of the "he's so tiny, what a cutie :cute:" comments as my son does of the tall ones. I'm the mother of a tall guy, and in high school my best friend was a guy who was shorter than me. I can tell you from experience, there is no nice way to sugar coat it, they are still going wish you had never said it.

Like my son would say, :rolleyes: Ohhhwwwww, not again!

who cares? small=cute tall=cute. tall peeps can look kinda scarey, yet, small peeps can be menacing,(like them little yappy dogs?) petit is good. :wink: if he was 6" hed still be a cutie!

Seabird said:
He HATES it when almost everybody who sees him says:

"You get taller every time I see you"
"When you gonna stop growing, boy?"
"Does your mom put fertilizer in your shoes?"
"I bet you're the star of the basketball team!" (he hates sports)
"Hey, big guy!"
"How's it look from up there?"

Some people are very stupid about that, I agree. How tall you are (or aren't) has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of person you are. That would be like saying, "Oh, he's got blue eyes, he must be a ____!" :rolleyes:

My dad was a bit on the short side (5'4") and heard all the short jokes. He usually responded with, "Dynamite comes in small packages!" :)

I did once see a tall (6'0" or thereabouts) woman wearing a T-shirt that said, "No, I don't play basketball. Do you play miniature golf?" :laugh:

Seabird said:
Height is a very personal issue because it's the one thing about ourselves that can't be changed. My son is 6'4" and has been tall for his age all his life. He hit 6 foot at only 13. By the time he was 10, he was already being accused of being too old to trick or treat and was even denied candy by some people. He is also very sensitive about his height. He HATES it when almost everybody who sees him says:

Oh jeez I used to get that crap constantly when I was younger. Not so much anymore, but I was the tallest person in my entire class, boys included, for awhile. They finally caught up. Anyway I used to get asked constantly, by total strangers, "Are you going to be a model?" or "Are you going to be a basketball player?? YOU'RE NOT?! WHY NOT!" I had no interest, ever, in being either of those things. I did sometimes have interest in telling folks where to shove their :mad: ..err nevermind. I'm nice. really. :lol:

Bono looks short, cos when he was standing next to George Micheal and Simon Lebon, in the band aid video he looked quite short:sad:! I hope he aint smaller than me cos im about 5'6 ish.:ohmy:

is bono really THAT sensitive tho?

regarding his height, do u all think that he is really is that insecure and sensitive about it tho? i mean this is bono we are talking about... super achiever, multi millionaire, bilions of fans all over the globe, awards, rewards... i'm sure he is confident enough to know that his height is a small factor compared to his achievements! i am hardly bothered about my height, and i am somewhere between 5" and 5'1".

GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES!! :)

I agree completely, Babydoll - GOOD THINGS DO COME IN SMALL PACKAGES!

ESPECIALLY BONO! :yes:

So hopefully he will read this thread and FEEL ALL THE LOVE that we have for him and then DITCH THOSE 4 INCH SHOES!:ohmy:

BONO - you don't need them anymore! YOU ARE LOVED AND RESPECTED JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!

:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave: :angel: :hug:

Re: is bono really THAT sensitive tho?

Babydoll said:
regarding his height, do u all think that he is really is that insecure and sensitive about it tho?

Sure do :yes: There've been a lot of stories about it, like the girl who wrote the book Lola Cashman and how he cussed out the model at a party for making short jokes? Why the hell you think he wears those huge bottom shoes?? Of course he is. Bono prolly doesn't think it's cute to be called a "small package" :rolleyes::yawn:

Y'know ppl I never knew how tall he was before I started seeing all these threads about it. I never thought about it once.

Last edited:
Two of my *most very favorite other R&R men* {playing & famous before U2} are Roger Daltry & Bruce Springsteen.

They are around 5' 7" -because that's about what I am, and I've had the pleasure of standing close by each of *them*. :heart: :drool:

I'd seen The Who around five times or more beofre I met Roger in person. In fact I was at one of American [nyc] shows where they stood in a line and threw their arms over each other's shoulders for the first time!.

It was an amazin' sight :love:!!! I loved it! This sometimes ragin', 'kick-each-other-in-the-teeth 'attitude' band- suddenly doing that. In fact I have photos of the whole thing.

WhAt's relevent to this thread is- that even thought I actually had photographic 'evidence' of how much shorter Roge was from Pete, John & Keith {being they stood to each other in those photos} I never noticed or realized it , till I actually met him, since he was/is so Tall in Spirit, Heart & Talent

So Bono, like them has some of the Biggest Talent and very Caring Heart/Spirit in all of R&R and alot of the world.

That's what really matters most. .

Last edited:
Re: Re: is bono really THAT sensitive tho?

Vampira said:

Y'know ppl I never knew how tall he was before I started seeing all these threads about it. I never thought about it once.

Same here. Well not these threads, but I never thought about it until I saw the entry about it on U2FAQ. I didn't occur to me, and I do sort of wonder why it's "ok" to publicize it so much. I doubt we'd see an FAQ on how much the guys weigh, for example. :|

A friend of mine who works at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame said when he stood next to her, she thought he was about 5'6". We'll probably never really know, unless we actually hold him down and measure him. Hmmmmmmm, now that's an idea.....

I'm game :wink:

He's not that tall. He actually stood on a step to take our pic together. I'm not that tall. I had Docs with a heel on them, but I wasn't much taller than he was flat on the ground.

From the times I've met him, I'd say he's about 5'5, but it's really hard to know for sure because of the shoes. I saw Edge from a slight distance, but he seems sort of lanky (very dancer or swimmer like), I think it may be because he's rather thin, though, so maybe he's like 5'7.

I think people are so interested in knowing how tall (or not tall) celebs like Bono are because it makes them more real. I remember going to the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas and seeing Bono's red ruffled "Mysterious Ways" shirt, it was very small, a men's medium at the very most (probably more likely a women's medium) and just seeing that and thinking that he's not that much bigger than I am (I'm 5'2) made me feel more connected to him somehow. Then I saw clothes from Prince, Gwen Stefani, Eddie Vedder, all really small people, and it made me feel better about being small because if they didn't let that get in their way, if they're able to kick ass and take names despite not being the proper runway height, then I can as well.

Jamila said:
I agree completely, Babydoll - GOOD THINGS DO COME IN SMALL PACKAGES!

ESPECIALLY BONO! :yes:

So hopefully he will read this thread and FEEL ALL THE LOVE that we have for him and then DITCH THOSE 4 INCH SHOES!:ohmy:

BONO - you don't need them anymore! YOU ARE LOVED AND RESPECTED JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!

:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave: :angel: :hug:

I AGREE WITH YA! :wink: IM NOT REALLY THAT BOTHERED HIS SUCCESS MAKES UP FOR HIS HEIGHT RIGHT :drool:

WILL THIS DAMN THREAD EVER DIE??!! :banghead: If it doesn't matter than stop talking about it!! Poor Bono :hug:

:down: to all provacative threads started by 'newbies' :eyebrow: with one post :tsk:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
WILL THIS DAMN THREAD EVER DIE??!! :banghead: If it doesn't matter than stop talking about it!! Poor Bono :hug:

:down: to all provacative threads started by 'newbies' :eyebrow: with one post :tsk:

Im sorry for making you mad! :sad: Im only repliying to a post is that a crime?

Sorry for posting ms kitten! :huh:

Sorry, I just get so tired of seeing this bumped every time it drops. I think since Bono is sensitive about his height he'd rather not have it discussed and the sooner this is dropped the better. :(

Don't stop the thread.
My friend still isn't satisfied with the answers he's gotten.
It seems to me he'd be glad to learn that Bono is as short as himself (my friend is 5ft 5' ). He doesn't mean to put him down or make him unhappy. Neither he nor I believe Bono would really mind anyone discussing this subject. I'm myself "short"( 5ft 5"-just like my friend ) too, I'm not famous, wealthy and still I don't mind my height- except if I'm in the middle of a standing audience in a show!
We don't believe someone who's life's dreams have been fulfilled as Bono's have would give a rat's a$* to his height.

Last edited:
galves said:
Don't stop the thread.
It seems to me he'd be glad to learn that Bono is as short as himself (my friend is 5ft 5' ). He doesn't mean to put him down or make him unhappy. Neither he nor I believe Bono would really mind anyone discussing this subject. I'm myself "short"( 5ft 5"-just like my friend ) too, I'm not famous, wealthy and still I don't mind my height- except if I'm in the middle of a standing audience in a show!
We don't believe someone who's life's dreams have been fulfilled as Bono's have would give a rat's a$* to his height.

Exactly, it's not a big deal if he is sensitive about his height, i'm not his mother , it's not our work to make him fell better. After all these years he should be confortable with himself. Now if i ever meet him, his height wouldn't be the first thing that i'd ask him but here it's only a MB, we can talk about it like we can talk about edges baldness, it's the same. And if some people don't like it, don't read it, it's simple.

Last edited:
I've been around 4'5" my entire life sitting in my power chair. Being 5'2" doesn't help either. It is a subject that can be touchy. It is something that affects the way you approach someone. I understand his frustration. :|

galves said:
Don't stop the thread.

I really don't mean to be offensive, but just because you and your friend are fine with your height doesn't mean that Bono is. Not that I know for sure, I doubt anyone here knows that. And obviously, Bono's height is something that no one seems to know for sure. Why keep posting random guesses? I'm with U2kitten- I just don't see a reason for keeping this thread going.

ylimeU2 said:

I really don't mean to be offensive, but just because you and your friend are fine with your height doesn't mean that Bono is. Not that I know for sure, I doubt anyone here knows that. And obviously, Bono's height is something that no one seems to know for sure. Why keep posting random guesses? I'm with U2kitten- I just don't see a reason for keeping this thread going.

Ditto! Bono's height or lack thereof makes no difference whatsoever to the person he is & I fail to see why it matters so much. He could be 6'4" or 3'4" & he would still have the most amazing spirit/voice/heart. Whether or not Bono is sensitive about his height really isn't even an issue to me...although I do think it is a bit disrespectful. There is just so much more about Bono that is more important & more meaningful that could be being discussed. I don't want to offend anyone & I usually try to stay out of threads like this one, but I agree with Kitty & Ylime...it's time to put this thread to sleep!

Back
Top Bottom