Bono's hair in Q magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
The March issue of Q magazine (half naked Pink on the cover) has a list of the twenty worst haircuts in rock. Bono's Live Aid do made #7- right in between George Clinton & Jack Osborne ! I just think that's so rude, especially since the guy who compiled the list bears more than a passing resemblance to Martha Stewart.:mad: :madspit: :censored: :scream: :rant: :scratch:

Oh, come on, Bono's hair was awful at Live Aid. The mullet and the style were bad enough, but then what was going on with those bizarre streaks? :eyebrow: :D

But Bono, you know I love you! :hug:

Attachments

• liveaid2.jpg
    liveaid2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 135
I don't think its anything to get upset about. Could anyone but a true Bono lover could ever think that hairstyle looked good :shrug: :laugh:

I :heart: the mullet but even Bono himself admits he had some bad hair back then :wink:

I'm with you Kristen F! :hug: I really don't see what was so bad about his Live Aid hair, I really don't :shrug: I thought it was pretty and neat and he was gorgeous!

auf1.jpg

bonoliveaid.jpg

IF they were going to pick on any mullet of his, it shouldn't have been that one. The sides had grown out and it looked good. It was much worse at Dortmund several months before:

sidemullet.jpg

sidemullet2.jpg

Though I am a mullet fan I didn't care for the way it was shaved down on the sides. Looks like he lost a fight with a weed whacker. But of course even this is better to me than Pop, when he really lost the fight with the weed whacker! :no: I'm not a fan of shaved off hair on any part of the head, even if it's part of a mullet.

But most of his mullet looks were cute. I can think of a lot worse hairstyles in rock history, especially the awful ones out there today, that should have made the list instead! I have long since tired of the jokes on his mullet. It wasn't that bad. I liked it.

I can agree that this particular hairstyle was a little on the cheesy side, but they should cut him some slack. It was the 80's and everything was pretty funky back then. If he was still sporting that look today, then maybe he'd be asking for ridicule. But anyone who lived through this decade knows that Bono was the height of cool for what was stylish at that time. I just think Q should have considered how old the picture was before making fun of him, that's all.

KristenF said:
I can agree that this particular hairstyle was a little on the cheesy side, but they should cut him some slack. It was the 80's and everything was pretty funky back then. If he was still sporting that look today, then maybe he'd be asking for ridicule. But anyone who lived through this decade knows that Bono was the height of cool for what was stylish at that time. I just think Q should have considered how old the picture was before making fun of him, that's all.

True, but even to this day it still looks fine to me. I guess it's because so many ugly styles out there today look so bad and I actually prefer the mullet to them. I really dislike all shaved, partially shaved, spiked and especially gelled up looks. Idiots look like they stuck their fingers in a light socket, then froze that way. So for me it kind of annoys me they pick on the mullet and other 80's looks as if they are the wrong look and the ones today are the right way to look? Not to me! I can't wait until the day Good Charlotte makes that list! :lmao: I think they belong there now, along with most of today's MTV types. Oh well that's opinion. We could all make a different list.

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
I don't think its anything to get upset about. Could anyone but a true Bono lover could ever think that hairstyle looked good :shrug: :laugh:

I :heart: the mullet but even Bono himself admits he had some bad hair back then :wink:

Well said, BAW. :D

:heart: :bono: :heart:

Who but a true Bono lover? Me. I don't just like the hairstyle on Bono but other guys too. It wasn't because it was Bono, just as I don't love every style he ever had. I also think deep down Bono knows damn well his mullet was hot. He's just playing along before someone jokes on him;)

BTW, Kristen, who got #1?? :hyper: George Clinton should have been higher! :lol:

Dunno about you, girl but I'm hungry. I have a sudden urge to bump the mullet thread :tongue:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
The mullet is acceptable....within its historical context.

:hug: :bono:

Exactly! It was the 1980s, most people wore some variant of the mullet, or the shag cut. That was the style back then. And Bono's mullet was neat and clean, not ratty or too big like some other folks'.

Though he looked much handsomer when he grew it out... JT era long hair rules! :happy:

Sue DeNym said:

Though he looked much handsomer when he grew it out... JT era long hair rules! :happy:

So true :drool: :love: :up:

He was also prettier when it was halfway in between, like Amnesty Int'l/COH :flirt:

amnp.jpg

Somebody please post the entire list, tell me the Flock of Seagulls guy made the top 5!:lol:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Who but a true Bono lover? Me. I don't just like the hairstyle on Bono but other guys too. It wasn't because it was Bono, just as I don't love every style he ever had. I also think deep down Bono knows damn well his mullet was hot. He's just playing along before someone jokes on him;)

BTW, Kristen, who got #1?? :hyper: George Clinton should have been higher! :lol:

Dunno about you, girl but I'm hungry. I have a sudden urge to bump the mullet thread :tongue:

I'm with you U2 Kitten-that was a gorgeous Bono phase & he knows it !

This is the complete list, for anyone that wants to know:
1. Mike Score from Flock of Seagulls
2. Dave Hill from Slade
3. Elephant Man (not the real one, the rap one)
4.Thom Yorke(he's wearing a wig though-so it should'nt count)
5. Cher
6. Jack Osbourne
7. Bono
8. George Clinton
9. Flea
10. Benji Madden from Good Charlotte
11. Howard Jones
12. Ben Gautry from The Cooper Temple Clause
13. Tom Rowlands from The Chemical Bros.
14. Christina Aguilera
15. Keith Richards
16. Phil Oakey from Human League
17 Keith Flint from Prodigy
18. Caleb Followill from Kings of Leon
19. Coolio
20. George Michael

Thanks Kristen :up: Right on about Bono;)

Ha ha, I knew the Flock of Seagulls guy had to have made it! I'm so glad to see a member of Good Charlotte on there, they all deserve it! Some of these guys I've never heard of or haven't seen :huh: I disagree about Keith Richards. He has always had the same hairdo, it's a little more ratty now but at least he still has it. It's set in 'stone' ;) rock classic look!

Last edited:
Bono does not belong on that list. Even with a skunk mullet he's hotter than anyone else regardless. I'll take that Martha Stewart guy for a makeover, and maybe Martha herself too. That's it, I'll take mullet Bono to my PLEBA Mansion Hair Cuttery and cut it off. *snip snip* problem solved! :macdevil:

This reminds me, didn't somebody post a pic of Bono a few months ago with his mullet photoshopped off? Who has this? I'd love to see that long naked neck. :drool:

Last edited:
I think all of us who lived in the '80's wish we could forget our hairstyles. Mine was an awful spiral perm that made my hair look like wool. (as so gallantly pointed out to me by an old man in the Tube in London) He was right!:eek: Though I still drool of Bono's JT hair which was late '80's.:drool:

Vampira said:
Bono does not belong on that list. Even with a skunk mullet he's hotter than anyone else regardless.

skunk.....how about a bague- I mean badger....oh wait, no one that gets it posts here anymore, 'cept maybe BC?....

:reject:

My 80s hairstyles were equally as frightening as Bono's. I started out with black fuzzy hair, then a patch on the back of my head rubbed off, then it all fell out, then I was bald for a few months, then it started to come back slowly but this time it was thinner and bleach-blonde, then I had a straight blonde mushroom cut, and I'm hoping by 1990 I had somewhat of a ponytail, but most likely still had horrid bangs that started halfway back my head.

KristenF said:
I can agree that this particular hairstyle was a little on the cheesy side, but they should cut him some slack. It was the 80's and everything was pretty funky back then.

Good point. I'd be willing to bet the author of this list had some goofy hairdos they'd love to forget at one point and time, too. Everyone has that one bad look of themselves that they don't want anyone else to see (I found a picture of myself back in kindergarten once...Oh. My. Lord. I. Looked. Awful.).

Originally posted by KristenF
If he was still sporting that look today, then maybe he'd be asking for ridicule. But anyone who lived through this decade knows that Bono was the height of cool for what was stylish at that time.

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of the mullet on other people, though. I think Bono is the only person I've ever seen who could pull it off. There's just something about the messy hair against that young face of his...it just looked cute on him. :shrug:.

I just think Q should have considered how old the picture was before making fun of him, that's all.

Makes sense. :).

Angela

I think a lot of us had bad hair in the 80's. It wasn't our fault, it was the 80's. [/B][/QUOTE]

So true. The 80's were a horrific time for fashion-acid wash jeans, day glo colored clothing, Madonna wannabe girls, out of control perms.
Plus I had a mother who loved to take pictures for any reason she could think of and therefore has albums full of my own teenage fashion atrocities.:shifty: :eek: :sick:

Um, I still prefer seeing 80's hair to most of the men's styles today. In 20 years, they'll be made fun of too and people will go 'oh well it was the 00's! :lol: So it's just a never ending cycle. When I was young we laughed our asses off at crewcuts full of grease, how ugly and stupid people looked in the 50's! Then it came back and the 80's got dissed:crazy: I loved stonewashed jeans too. Guys looked hot in them, much better than those saggy baggies that came in the 90's-now, though I think they are finally going out now! My husband still has a pair of stonewashed jeans, he wears them to the bar and feels really cool. And yes he still has his 80's hair too. Thank goodness he didn't fall on the bandwagon of making fun of the 80's and adopting some of the unattractive styles that came later. So laugh if you want, for me the 80's rocked, still do, always will! :up: Long live the 80's! :happy:

THE 80'S WILL HAVE REVENGE! THE TIME WILL COME! BEWARE! :yes: :evil: :dance:

Last edited:
Sue DeNym said:

Oh, yes! Excellent picture!

BTW, I love your new avatar! Beautiful Bono! :love: :bono:

Thanks, I thought so too :love:

Glad you and wolfeden liked the COH pic as much as I do :hug:

:drool: Here's another one:

fringepretty.jpg

U2Kitten said:
When I was young we laughed our asses off at crewcuts full of grease, how ugly and stupid people looked in the 50's! Then it came back and the 80's got dissed:crazy: I loved stonewashed jeans too. Guys looked hot in them, much better than those saggy baggies that came in the 90's-now, though I think they are finally going out now!

I certainly hope so! I hate those baggy pants. Yeah, dude, the "toddler in desperate need of a fresh diaper" look is totally cool. Not. :|

It's funny, there've been so few eras that have had attractive clothes. The 40's had nice womens wear, some of the bobby soxer 50's fashions and hippie/folkie fashions of the 60s were cute, most of the 80s fashions were loud but cute. But the rest...urgh. And today's stuff -- try to look as awful as humanly possible without severe injury -- bleah. :madspit:

KristenF said:
So true. The 80's were a horrific time for fashion-acid wash jeans, day glo colored clothing, Madonna wannabe girls, out of control perms.

:laugh:...very true. *Thinks back to the first "I Love The 80s" shows* Seriously, I was sitting there watching them talk about some of the crazy stuff they did to their hair and clothes, and the only question on my mind was, "Why?"

Thankfully, I was too little to really do a bunch of screwed up stuff to my outfits and hair. The most I did with my hair was wear it in pigtails, and as for clothing...I wore a lot of dresses. :huh: :shrug:.

Plus I had a mother who loved to take pictures for any reason she could think of and therefore has albums full of my own teenage fashion atrocities.:shifty: :eek: :sick:

Hehe, aw, I bet that's gotta be a fun trip down memory lane for ya...;) :up:.

Angela

U2Kitten said:
Um, I still prefer seeing 80's hair to most of the men's styles today. In 20 years, they'll be made fun of too and people will go 'oh well it was the 00's! :lol: So it's just a never ending cycle. When I was young we laughed our asses off at crewcuts full of grease, how ugly and stupid people looked in the 50's! Then it came back and the 80's got dissed:crazy: I loved stonewashed jeans too. Guys looked hot in them, much better than those saggy baggies that came in the 90's-now, though I think they are finally going out now! My husband still has a pair of stonewashed jeans, he wears them to the bar and feels really cool. And yes he still has his 80's hair too. Thank goodness he didn't fall on the bandwagon of making fun of the 80's and adopting some of the unattractive styles that came later. So laugh if you want, for me the 80's rocked, still do, always will! :up: Long live the 80's! :happy:

THE 80'S WILL HAVE REVENGE! THE TIME WILL COME! BEWARE! :yes: :evil: :dance:

Amen!! I LOVED the 80's!! We just have to have patience, U2 kitten...our time will come again!!:evil:
The 80's was a wonderful coming-of-age decade for me...many, many times over the years I've wished I could go back & relive those times...especially late 80's.
COH Bono...:drool: :faint:...so incredibly beautiful & ethereal...I know I've said it before, but every time I see a pic of him from that era, he makes me think of some beautiful creature out of a fairy tale.

Back
Top Bottom