Bono's glasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
:wave:

This may seem like a completely unimportant question, but I'm just curious if anyone knows the answer.
Are Bono's ever present glasses just for looks or does he need them to see ?

I think he doesn't need them to see properly. I remember he said once that he wore the sunglasses because he is allergic to red wine and his eyes turned red and all.

He also said at Harvard that "these aren't sunglasses, these are protection" :shrug:

He looks cool with the shades but I'd like to see those beautiful eyes more often.

I would think that if he needed his glasses to actually see he would have had lasik (laser) eye surgery long ago. It's a fairly quick, painless process with hardly any recovery time. My brother had it done and he said it was the best thing he's ever done for himself. No more contacts or glasses.

Not to mention the fact that Bono takes his glasses off while he's on stage so he must not need them to see or he would have fallen off the heart every nite! :)

I think some of his might really be eyeglasses, like the ones at the Harvard speech and other times. The sunglasses guys couldn't find the manufacturer of those but they could all the others, so that makes me think they weren't made by some cool sunglasses designer, but an optometrist. It's no big deal, lots of people have glasses. I hope he DOES NOT get laser surgery!! That is dangerous and can ruin your sight if done wrong or as time goes on.

Even so I don't think he NEEDS them to see. He takes them off in concerts and I think he can see okay without them. He doesn't need surgery and his sunglasses are probably not prescription.

teehee said:
Oops! I forgot to welcome you! This is your first topic here, right? I hope to see you around! :wave:

Hey!!! Nobody welcomed me!!!! I feel so left out. LOL. I'm just kidding, really.

:tongue:

He's said many times that he's ''hiding behind a pair of fly shades''. Whatever that means.

:eyebrow:

:wave:

Last edited:
I think he hides behind them. I suspect that Bono has anxiety sometimes about "being exposed". For some reason, he does feel a sense of protection even if that isn't really reality. I used to think he did it for looks. I think it started that way and then became a coping devise. He's so much more insecure than we would think. Just my take.

partygirl said:
I think he hides behind them. I suspect that Bono has anxiety sometimes about "being exposed". For some reason, he does feel a sense of protection even if that isn't really reality. I used to think he did it for looks. I think it started that way and then became a coping devise. He's so much more insecure than we would think. Just my take.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom