Bono's current look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Merc said:

Honestly - don't we all? :wink:

Sidenote: With all this talk about mullets - I've tried to look it up in my dictionary, but can't find it. Doesn't the word have another meaning? Or is 'a mullet' just the haircut? 'Cause we have words for mullets here, but... :reject:

mul·let [ múllət ]

noun

1. edible fish: an edible spiny small-mouthed fish that lives in fresh water or salt water and is found all over the world. Family Mugilidae.
Also called gray mullet
U.K. term grey mullet

2. long hairstyle: a hairstyle that is long at the back and short at the front and sides

[15th century. From Old French mulet , from mul , from Latin mullus “red mullet,” from Greek mullos “a sea-fish.”]

^^ Thanks granny!

A hairstyle and a fish! :laugh:

Here we call it "Bundesliga-haircut" (The 'Bundesliga' is the best German soccer league) or "Swedish hair", and it's not ment in a positive way... :reject: ...we're not always nice to our neighbours! :reject:

Here some people call it 'hockey hair', 'trucker's mudflap' or 'party in the back, business in the front'

Personally, I'd like to see him quit dyeing and covering up the thinning and just let it be! I'm fine with the way it is now, but it is definitely over-processed and needs serious conditioning. I think this is closer to his original natural color - didn't like the over-dyed black hair on him - definitely looked fake at times. Anyway, as someone in the graying age, I'd like to see him just accept it! However, it's got to be tough on him to keep reading how people want him to still look like he did 10 or 15 years ago. The man's not 25 any more - I'd rather have him look like a handsome dignified older man than a old guy trying too hard to look young! But, hey, that's just the opinion of someone not that much younger than our B-man! What do I know? Maybe if I were younger my opinion would be different. :wink:

u2grace said:
Personally, I'd like to see him quit dyeing and covering up the thinning and just let it be! I'm fine with the way it is now, but it is definitely over-processed and needs serious conditioning. I think this is closer to his original natural color - didn't like the over-dyed black hair on him - definitely looked fake at times. Anyway, as someone in the graying age, I'd like to see him just accept it! However, it's got to be tough on him to keep reading how people want him to still look like he did 10 or 15 years ago. The man's not 25 any more - I'd rather have him look like a handsome dignified older man than a old guy trying too hard to look young! But, hey, that's just the opinion of someone not that much younger than our B-man! What do I know? Maybe if I were younger my opinion would be different. :wink:

Hey I think his hair was hot during the Elevation tour! Besides, nothing wrong with being older....I'm 23 and I think men twice my age are usually the most attractive, they look like MEN.

U2Kitten said:
'party in the back, business in the front'

:lmao:

What was it Bono said once about the mullet?! :hmm: I think it was something like: "...no one should look like their hair had been ironed..." :laugh: If someone have the correct quote, please post...

BTW, I just noted something while watching the "One"-doc. on my "Best Of"-dvd... In some of the clips from the streets of Berlin (not from the actual "One"-video) Bono's hair almost looks like it does now (A little shorter maybe... or is there something wrong with my glasses?! :lol: ) - Could we draw any conclusions from this?! :scratch: Maybe!

Bono's hair was long in the JT-time and looked almost the same during the making of AB - both of which are said to be the best U2 albums... So, now Bono has the same kind of haircut again - does this mean we can expect an album along the lines of JT and AB?! :hmm:

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Bono, or hardly any other celebrity, are going to just give up and go with the old age thing. Look at other rock stars (Bowie) movie stars, and even news anchors. No one wants to look like an old person. Even most ordinary folks try to keep themselves up. Maybe at 80 you finally have to give up, but 40's and 50's are not too old and shouldn't have to look it. Most famous people not only dye their hair but have their faces done too.

Bowie has had short hair for years, and it has a touch of gray in it.

Being a movie star or a news anchor is different, where you really depend on your looks. However too much face work can be scary (Michael Jackson, Joan Rivers, Cher) or having a hair piece (Elton John) or a really dark color at, say 50 or 60-looks really odd and unnatural. There is nothing more redicioulus than seeing someone in their 50's or 60's trying to look like they're 20something again.

RocknRollKitty said:
Most famous people not only dye their hair but have their faces done too.

Botox!!! :yuck: :no: :tsk: That stuff was made for sick people, not for rich people who wants to look like they're 20-something all their life... How I wish people wouldn't do things like that :sigh:

U2girl said:
Bowie has had short hair for years, and it has a touch of gray in it

And so does Adam :D I don't think we can find one pleba-girl that doesn't think Adam looks sexy at this current time (or in the latest pics we've seen of him anyway!) - can we?! :shifty: Well, then gray can be sexy... :wink:

u2granny said:

Thank you:bow:

Right on! :applaud: High five sista!

I think there's one thing some people don't understand. When you get older, it's not like you're trying to pretend to be young, it's that you are still yourself and still feel like yourself on the inside, and you don't feel like you are old so you shouldn't have to look it. In a way I find it very offensive that anyone would think that older people don't have a right to look the way they feel best, or that good looks are only for the young. But to me it is honestly laughable to think it's a bad thing for people to fix themselves up in middle age (and scary to me as someone approaching it) I have a feeling as some people get older they will see what I'm talking about.

And Bowie has had hair as long as Bono's Elevation look much of the last few years, and it's obviously DYED BLOND as it has been for many many years. Bowie has been dying his hair since the 1960's and if anyone thinks at 57 that's natural they are more than naive;)

You know I have read every single response in this thread and I need to clear something up. I NEVER thought of the look as old. My husband is receeding and I think he is better looking now than when we meet. I like the grey look, I think it is distinguished. It upsets me that people took the "look" as old. Old isn't the problem, lines aren't the problem. I just didn't love the color. Bono is beautiful no matter what he is wearing, covering up or dying. I, being a little rainbow bright in hair color, likes his hair better dark. It doesn't matter how thin or even the length. Just wanted to clear that up.:huh:

As for this old vs young vs rockstar vs normal debate goes, I don't have a problem with Bono dying a styling his hair. I just think that this particular style is actually making him look older. So even if he were to ditch the dye and gel, I think he'd look younger or at least more vibrant. The way his hair falls, or rather, is slicked back, just makes it look thin and unkept and reminds me of a greasy comb over. I've loved every style of Bono's hair so far except this one :( but oh well, you win some you lose some :shrug: I love the clothes he's been wearing recently though. And either way, no one should be judged by their hair or clothes and just b/c I say I don't like his current hairstyle doesn't mean I'm thinking mean or negative things. I don't like my dad's current style, or my brothers, and I still love them too.

:hug: :bono:

E L E V A T I O N! That was the look that did it for me I'm afraid... I think it highlighted his natural beauty the most. The elevation length left him with enough hair for it to have volume, and yet not to much, so it would weigh itself down- it was light enough to have body and style of its own accord.

The current 'do' is too long IMO and it weighs itself down, and kind of makes his head look bigger, and him look older. Bring back the Elevation!

I also like the Beautiful day style:drool: now that's a MAN's do!

RocknRollKitty said:
I think there's one thing some people don't understand. When you get older, it's not like you're trying to pretend to be young, it's that you are still yourself and still feel like yourself on the inside, and you don't feel like you are old so you shouldn't have to look it. In a way I find it very offensive that anyone would think that older people don't have a right to look the way they feel best, or that good looks are only for the young. But to me it is honestly laughable to think it's a bad thing for people to fix themselves up in middle age (and scary to me as someone approaching it) I have a feeling as some people get older they will see what I'm talking about.

What is "good looks" actually?! It's something you define from your culture and the norms of your society. In other parts of the world, "good looks" is very different from what we would think of as "good looks".
So can you be 20, 30, 50, 70, whatever and still "look good"? In my oppinion - yes, you can.
But in the western world the ideal of "looking good" has been turned into a look that the majority of us only have for a short period of time in our life and I must not critizie anyone for wanting to "look good" for a period longer than that, I just really, really wish it weren't so. I wish there were other ideals that said "Hey, you're 60-something and full of wrinkles and have gray hair - and you look absolutely great and beautiful!" and that operations and treatment with Botox and the likes only was used by people who needed it because of medical problems, like I wish that the ideal woman wasn't 1,85 m. tall with long skinny legs and a tiny waist - I can wish, but the ideals won't change... not in my lifetime, I guess.

So, do I like Bono's current look? Yes, everything about it - the clothes, the shades, the hair - IMHO he's one of the very few men that looks great with long hair.

RocknRollKitty said:
And Bowie has had hair as long as Bono's Elevation look much of the last few years, and it's obviously DYED BLOND as it has been for many many years. Bowie has been dying his hair since the 1960's and if anyone thinks at 57 that's natural they are more than naive;)

... and I haven't seen a picture of Bowie in ages so I shouldn't be qouteing something, when I don't know what I'm talking about - Argh, I feel so stupid! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :reject:

Merc said:

What is "good looks" actually?!

The opposite of 'letting yourself go' - at any age. But I can't understand what's wrong with trying to keep yourself looking the way you did all your life as long as you can. Look at Barbara Walters for example. She is 74 years old and looks great. She has tastefully and carefully manitained her looks without looking old, or fake (of course not everyone has the money) Then there are younger people who totally let themselves go. But I do think there are different standards for celebrities than regular people. Celebrities are on TV and in magazines and they are expected to look good. I don't think it's that big of a deal and I don't think it's a bad thing like girls starving themselves to look like models. Older celebrities trying to keep up appearances is very common and I can't believe it's even an issue.

... and I haven't seen a picture of Bowie in ages so I shouldn't be qouteing something, when I don't know what I'm talking about - Argh, I feel so stupid! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :reject:

I wasn't talking about you, it was another poster who had said his hair was 'short' and 'tinged with gray'. I'll see if I can find some pics. But NO WAY has Bowie 'aged gracefully' or naturally;) But he looks damn good for 57!

I think alot of people who are middle aged or older really look great. They have a wise, dignified look to them, and many of them are people I really respect. They don't need Botox injections to look great.

one4u2 said:

So you've succumbed to the illness!! Welcome aboard , the water's fine!

They are slightly different shots. My Bono is straight on, yours is to the side.

Oh and wow this water is warm. :cool:

Don't forget who started your obsession with U2.... and of course thank you for keeping my obsession with them burning to the point of combustion:combust:

youtwohearts said:

They are slightly different shots. My Bono is straight on, yours is to the side.

Oh and wow this water is warm. :cool:

Don't forget who started your obsession with U2.... and of course thank you for keeping my obsession with them burning to the point of combustion:combust:

LOL!!!!!!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom