Bono's call to "Coexist"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lozy9876

The Fly
hey, i was on google and found this site. What's your opinean about it?

Heres the site of it as well:

http://cleave.blogs.com/pomomusings/2005/12/bonos_call_to_c.html

Bono's call to "Coexist"
I use to read Relevant Magazine, but after awhile, I just got tired of many articles that seemed to be saying the same things, and honestly, got a little tired of the pretty conservative theology of the magazine. I ran across a post on Doug's blog (here) about an article that was included in the 12/19 850 Words of Relevant written by Tara Leigh Cobble (picture on left) entitled "How to Dismantle an Idolized Bono" (the article is actually available on Tara's message board on her website here and it is also being discussed on this Relevant message board).

In the article, Tara was critiquing the current Christian idolization of Bono (which is a good thing I think), but had major problems with his apparent universalism. First of all, Bono was sporting a headband with the Coexist logo on it (apparently, there is a clothing company that came up with the logo). She quotes Bono as beginning to lead the crowd (at a Madison Square Garden performance) in the mantra of..."Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, all true. Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, all true." I listened to the Relevant podcast, where Relevant staffers were discussing the article, and it was made clear by emails they were reading from readers that from the very beginning, Tara's article is flawed because that was simply a misquote of Bono. Apparently he was saying, "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true...all sons of Abraham." And Bono's call to coexistance was more of a plea for the people of the world's 3 major religions to stop killing each other, instead of a call to radical universalism.

It was a pretty disturbing experience for Tara, as you can see from this quote below:

"When he stated that lie so boldly, it devastated me. It was, without question, the most disturbing experience of my life; I felt like I’d been covered in bile. As I looked around, I saw all the people standing and chanting with him-it was disgusting and beautiful all at once. Unity can be so enticing. It made me think of the one world religion and how that will probably look benign and beautiful from the outside, too. I even started to wonder if universalism just might be poised to be that religion. All these things were running through my head.

After the show, I ran into a friend who had been sitting in the back row. “What did you think of that headband thing?” I asked. “Well, I couldn’t hear what he was saying because it was bouncing off the wall behind me, and I couldn’t read the headband, because I wasn’t near a JumboTron. But honestly, I felt like I was witnessing an antichrist.” I stood frozen as she spoke. I’d had the same feeling."

talk about an overreaction. if she had spent more time paying attention and listening to the message instead of shutting down after her first misinterpretation, she wouldnt've felt "covered in bile."

i guess some people are so narrow minded, they create their own realities.

i think it's funny how many of people's comments ignored the sentence of clarification, where it is stated plainly that Bono says "it's true" instead of "all true."

i'm surprised Relevant Magazine even published her article without someone slapping her in the head saying "um...idiot...that is not what he said. that is not what he has been saying the entire tour. that is not the message of the tour." seriously. where the hell was she during the performance of Miss Sarajevo?

This is a thing of people what disturbs me so much... Jumping to conclusions even though they're not even sure whether they get the messages right!! And this is also something that creates so many misinterpretations and angry feelings in the world.. If people just pay a little more attention and research to get messages and/or symbols right, then there'd be less problems :shrug:

Mia, I agree with what you said, how can an article like this can be published just like that? Without telling her that she misunderstood the message?

"Witnessing an antichrist" - Yeah right...

Things like these boggle the mind :|

Last edited:
(apparently, there is a clothing company that came up with the logo)

I call bullshit! it's made by a polish artist...

Some people just don't understand these things, cause people see what they want to see, they believe what they want to believe, and if they don't want to see these things, they make up their own version.

Bono the antichrist? that's funny, seriously...

Yeah I read that when it came out. Back then there were several hundred responses setting her straight.

I've responded to this so many times on different websites that it's not even funny.:| I have nothing more to say that hasn't been said already. When asked specifically about his faith (i.e. "Bono: In Conversation") Bono has clearly stated his beliefs on Jesus being the Only Way. By the way, not to play mod, but this thread might be more appropriate if moved to FYM or Goal is Soul.

Liesje said:
Yeah I read that when it came out. Back then there were several hundred responses setting her straight.
Ditto. As I recall, the magazine did a podcast in response to the comments. They admitted that on the DVD Bono clearly says "it's true", but that Tara "said she heard what she heard", in other words, she was unwilling to admit that she might have misheard. All in all though, I think the podcast was mostly positive about Bono :shrug:

redhotswami said:
:lol: you mean she refused to admit she was wrong? she didn't back down and apologize for public defamation? :tsk:

I wonder if her "mishearing" wasn't deliberate. Some will find any excuse to claim others aren't "believers" even if they have to lie about what the others said.

At the U2sermons blog, it was mentioned that a quote from Bono's speech for the Willow Creek conference was only partially quoted by some Christian media sources.

"Second only to personal redemption and salvation the main thrust of the Scriptures is to meet Christ in working with the poor." Why did some leave out the first half of that quote?:hmm:

(One of the responses in the blog suggested it was so his critics would have something to complain about!:ohmy: )

I don't want to think it, but I wonder about those Christians who go to such lengths to condemn their fellow believers...:|

^^^I have had almost the same dialogue with many people that you've just mentioned. I read the same thing at the U2Sermons blog. I was shocked when I found the majority of the "Christian" media was cutting out that part of his statement. I won't get too riled up here since this isn't FYM or Goal, but this refusal to accept the members of U2 as part of the Body of Christ reeks of hypocrisy to the highest degree.:|

Galeongirl said:

I call bullshit! it's made by a polish artist...

Some people just don't understand these things, cause people see what they want to see, they believe what they want to believe, and if they don't want to see these things, they make up their own version.

Bono the antichrist? that's funny, seriously...

EXACTLY!! And Bono never, at any point, tried "selling" the whole COEXIST thing as something he came up with... He mentioned it soooo many times that it was a grafitti he saw and liked the message. People need to realize that this is truly all about a message of all religions learning to respect and live with eachother. comparing Bono and his actions to Antichrist is just outrageous.

I had a friend attend the show in Vegas with me. He came away with the same idea that Bono was trying to equate all three religions all being true. He's an English as a second language speaker so maybe that contributed to some of his confusion but maybe some shows Bono was more clear than others? I saw Vertigo four times and I understood what Bono meant from the get-go.

lozy9876 said:
Sorry i didnt post it in the right section :(

Not a problem at all!! It's easy to get confused when you're new! It happened to me many times!:yes: If you ever have any questions feel free to ask the mods or anyone who's been here awhile! It's nice to meet you, by the way. I'm Brittany.:hug: :wave:

I admire Bono's call to 'just get along' and also the call of religious leaders for understanding thru ecumenism.
Remember Bono is not a religious leader. Well, he is to some people ;), so just this once I'll call for a separation of Church and Bono :).

While there are similarities, there are also major differences in Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

"Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true...all sons of Abraham."

"Islam is the religion of Ishmael rather than Isaac.

This comes from an interesting article called: His Seed Like Stars: The Dialogue Between Christians, Jews and Muslims
Found here:
w w w.secondspring.co.uk/otherreligions/scaldecott29.htm

The second article below is not very flattering of Islam but it makes some excellent points in the area of fundamental differences. I've taken excerpts but you can read the whole thing if you're so inclined.

"....According to Muslim understanding, there is no separation between religion and government—what in Christianity would be called the separation of church and state......

In Christianity, church and state are not the same thing and they have different spheres of activity.

The notion that religion and political authority, church and state, are different and that they can or should be separated is, in a profound sense, Christian. Its origins may be traced to the teachings of Christ, notably in the famous passage in Matthew 22:21, in which Christ is quoted as saying: ‘Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.’

During much of Christian history church and state were united in that each Christian state had an official church, whether it was the Catholic Church or one of the Orthodox or Protestant churches. In many countries that is still the case. Nevertheless, the awareness remained that the two institutions were distinct and had different functions and different spheres of legitimate authority. They could in principle disagree and go their separate ways when necessary.

Most peoples in world history have not shared this understanding. In most societies, religion and government have been inseparably linked. This is true in Muslim society as well.

"In pagan Rome, Caesar was God. Christians were taught to differentiate between what is due to Caesar and what is due to God. For Muslims....God was Caesar......For Muslims the state was God’s state, the army God’s army, and, of course, the enemy was God’s enemy.
The question of separating church and state did not arise, since there was no church, as an autonomous institution, to be separated. Church and state were one and the same."
It makes no distinction and is thus a political as well as religious ideology."

source: w w w.catholic.com/library/endless_jihad.asp

BorderGirl said:
The notion that religion and political authority, church and state, are different and that they can or should be separated is, in a profound sense, Christian. Its origins may be traced to the teachings of Christ, notably in the famous passage in Matthew 22:21, in which Christ is quoted as saying: ‘Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.’

I find it interesting that this portion of scripture was turned into a separation of church and state. That was not Jesus' intention with that saying at all. Clearly, the guys asking him, were trying to get him to say something to get him in trouble. So he just threw this line out there and then walked away unscathed.

What does Caesar own? Nothing! What do we owe our government, or nation? Nothing! What does God own? Everything. Those of us who believe in this passage understand we owe God everything.

There was never any intention to create separate jurisdictions. Caesar is certainly not that important, and should not be held to his own level of power and separated from God. God doesn't just step aside and say "Okay president, you take care of that stuff over there, and I'll handle this stuff over here." That is limiting our allegiance to God.

Some people (particularly governments) have interpreted this line as a separation of church and state to justify their hypocrisy.

redhotswami said:

I find it interesting that this portion of scripture was turned into a separation of church and state. That was not Jesus' intention with that saying at all. Clearly, the guys asking him, were trying to get him to say something to get him in trouble. So he just threw this line out there and then walked away unscathed.

What does Caesar own? Nothing! What do we owe our government, or nation? Nothing! What does God own? Everything. Those of us who believe in this passage understand we owe God everything.

There was never any intention to create separate jurisdictions. Caesar is certainly not that important, and should not be held to his own level of power and separated from God. God doesn't just step aside and say "Okay president, you take care of that stuff over there, and I'll handle this stuff over here." That is limiting our allegiance to God.

Some people (particularly governments) have interpreted this line as a separation of church and state to justify their hypocrisy.

So, do you believe in the separation of church and state? I'm just curious! When you think about it, that's what our country was founded upon. The Pilgrims and other early settlers came here to get away from oppressive religious governments. To quote Philip Yancey in "What's So Amazing About Grace":
"When the church and state get too cozy, the church ends up wielding power instead of dispensing grace." I love your response, btw!

haha, good question!!! i'm not a fan of big gov't...and at the same time, the church does a lot of things to anger me. so sometimes i don't like church nor state :lol: i think all forms of power frustrate me from time to time.

i mean, especially the united states, is so diverse theres no way it can affiliate itself with a particular church (though...sometimes i feel like it is, but that is for another discussion.) however, i really don't understand why we can't incorporate merciful, compassionate, and humane ideals shared by many religions into our governance.

i remember one politician in particular from my state said that because of his religion (catholic) he is opposed to the death penalty, but as a politician, he will support it because it is the law...or some bs like that. that kind of thinking doesn't make much sense to me.

and thanks. :hug:

BorderGirl said:
I admire Bono's call to 'just get along' and also the call of religious leaders for understanding thru ecumenism.
Remember Bono is not a religious leader. Well, he is to some people ;), so just this once I'll call for a separation of Church and Bono :).

While there are similarities, there are also major differences in Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

"Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true...all sons of Abraham."

"Islam is the religion of Ishmael rather than Isaac.

source: w w w.catholic.com/library/endless_jihad.asp

Bordergirl, I am sorry, but if these are the websites where you are "learning" about Islam, you are receiving a very baised and twisted view of the religion. As a born and raised Catholic girl, I was horrified when I checked out your links.to see the church I was raised in is spewing the same anti-Islam b.s. that seems to dominate in the West.

I'm sorry, but a Church which throughout history has perpetrated some of the most atrocious crimes against humanity, (and continues to do so by knowingly allowing molesters to remain in positions to molest) hardly has a leg to stand on when criticizing other religions. :rolleyes: Please, consider the source before you paint a brush over an entire religion and declare how different they all are.

Perhaps you didn't know that Islam has more in common with Christianity, more so even than Judiasm. In fact, all Muslims believe in one true God, believe that Jesus was a prophet, God gave the Torah, the New Testament, believers will go to heaven or hell, Jesus will return, God will resurrect all for judgment, etc. etc., etc.

Maybe, just maybe, if more people would look for the similarites rather than the differences between the world's religions, we really could Coexist.

Kinsa said:

Bordergirl, I am sorry, but if these are the websites where you are "learning" about Islam, you are receiving a very baised and twisted view of the religion. As a born and raised Catholic girl, I was horrified when I checked out your links.to see the church I was raised in is spewing the same anti-Islam b.s. that seems to dominate in the West.

I'm sorry, but a Church which throughout history has perpetrated some of the most atrocious crimes against humanity, (and continues to do so by knowingly allowing molesters to remain in positions to molest) hardly has a leg to stand on when criticizing other religions. :rolleyes: Please, consider the source before you paint a brush over an entire religion and declare how different they all are.

Perhaps you didn't know that Islam has more in common with Christianity, more so even than Judiasm. In fact, all Muslims believe in one true God, believe that Jesus was a prophet, God gave the Torah, the New Testament, believers will go to heaven or hell, Jesus will return, God will resurrect all for judgment, etc. etc., etc.

Maybe, just maybe, if more people would look for the similarites rather than the differences between the world's religions, we really could Coexist.

Hey Kinsa! :wave: Great post :D

Back
Top Bottom