Bono's 'Arm-thing' is driving me crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dragonfly_wolfe said:
Hi,
I've never posted before, but I wanted to add my two cents about the Bono arm thing. It seems to me that in the two performances we've seen lately, Superdome and Oprah that his movements seem unnatural and not quite Bono.

I kind of noticed that, but he still puts tons of energy into performances. I think it's because he was out of his element at both gigs. Hopefully, him and the band as a whole continue to put out 100% on their next tour. And, hopefully, we won't have to wait 3-4 yrs for another tour. :huh:

2morrow said:

I kind of noticed that, but he still puts tons of energy into performances. I think it's because he was out of his element at both gigs. Hopefully, him and the band as a whole continue to put out 100% on their next tour. And, hopefully, we won't have to wait 3-4 yrs for another tour. :huh:
I really wish that we fans would have more patience when it comes to them putting out new albums. Do you want something that is pushed too quickly and not great? Remember their moto. Two crap albums and they are done. So, I say take the time you need to make some great music,even if it takes three or four years.

I finally found the reference I was thinking of...it's been driving me bonkers! Like that name that is on the tip of your tongue... At any rate, the arm injury reference is in U2 by U2, page 192. At some point Bono tore 3 ligaments in his arm and says they never reattached, so now he is having problems with that shoulder 'coming out' and is working on re-'training' the shoulder (not 100% sure what that means). I notice he does the arm thing with both his left and right arm, but I wonder if it's related to this shoulder issue?

I know! I can't remember if he tore or actually severed them...anyone have the book with them?

Ralphie said:
I finally found the reference I was thinking of...it's been driving me bonkers! Like that name that is on the tip of your tongue... At any rate, the arm injury reference is in U2 by U2, page 192. At some point Bono tore 3 ligaments in his arm and says they never reattached, so now he is having problems with that shoulder 'coming out' and is working on re-'training' the shoulder (not 100% sure what that means). I notice he does the arm thing with both his left and right arm, but I wonder if it's related to this shoulder issue?
In terms of re-training the shoulder - If the supporting ligaments aren't properly attached, the muscles that surround the joint can be strengthened to help keep it properly aligned. I imagine that's what he's doing, because that's what I have my clients do in similar cases.

I've said it before, U2 needs to hire me. I could really help them :DAnd get lots of U2-related perks. I swear I won't steal any mugs or pants or anything :wink:

All that being said though, I don't think it's that that's causing the arm thingy. He switches arms all the time :shrug:

I think that for the most part, it's a self-concious, nervous habit that might have a little to do w/ the arm injury. Who knows? Maybe he got used to wearing the arm-brace during the R&H era? :wink::eyebrow:

I don't think it has to do with the old injury, because he started to do the "arm thing" just recently and he is switching arms. I guess it's a nervous habit, maybe he is concerned about his weight. I hope he gets rid of this thing when the tour starts, looks a little ackward on stage. Maybe he isn't aware of it, someone should tell him.

^"Um, excuse me, uh, Mr. Bono...yeah, we the fans have noticed that you have a quite annoying habit of awkwardly covering you're stomach with your arm. Is there something wrong with your arm?...There isn't? Well stop doing it! It's driving all the Plebans crazy!...Don't give me that look. Your'e WELL AWARE of what Plebans are..."

Yeah, someone should definitely tell him! I'll volunteer...:wink:

Hey Ohio fans! Hi from Tallmadge,OH (just outside Akron). Been kinda busy and haven't been here in the Forums for awhile. And hey LivLuv, how have you been? To anyone who didnt make the Cleveland show - IT ROCKED. First row inside ellipse, could see up Edge's nose (not that I was looking!) Also for you Cleveland-area people, Pittsburgh and Chicago were very accessible from here. Had fun camping out in the rain overnight in Pittsburgh, but gotta love that Cleveland show (Miroslava's crowning moment!) I was looking for her in the front row of the Superdome and also at the Oprah show!

Hi, Beverly! Pittsburgh was the "pits", weather-wise! But it was worth it and I got to meet you and so many other Interferencers :D Will you be in Hawaii?

I think the arm thing is just an offshoot of his sleeves over the hands thing. It's a nervous habit, and something his body does by default when he's not telling it to do something else.

That said, it drives me crazy too! :lol: And the worst thing is that I find myself doing it too sometimes, but for a different reason. Just because I like to hide my tummy when I'm wearing an open jacket. :rolleyes:

I loved the Oprah special. Poor guy, he looked like his wife was dragging him around shopping. And all the Armani guys! What does Bono do around a bunch of guys? :lmao:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hi, Beverly! Pittsburgh was the "pits", weather-wise! But it was worth it and I got to meet you and so many other Interferencers :D Will you be in Hawaii?

Alas, I won't be. How I miss them! I am really enjoying my new book though (U2 by U2).

u2bonogirl said:
I loved the Oprah special. Poor guy, he looked like his wife was dragging him around shopping.

Like he said "i'm the road crew!........" and cracked a smile as he picked up all her bags.

You could kinda tell he made a couple of faces at times towards the staff and camera crew when Oprah was getting all "shoppy happy"... :wink: , kind of like "ok........whatever........it's for a good cause here." And of course, he had to get a t-shirt that was black (the Armani one). Typical. I also thought it was cute how every red item was qualified by Bono as either "cool or sexy". He's so awesome. What a sport.

2morrow said:
^Thanks for the warning, I'll probably just stick to Cleveland, Columbus (if it happens again), and Pittsburg shows now. I thought I heard in an @U2 podcast (October 06) that U2's security staff is known for telling venue security how to treat fans right. The podcast also said that U2 security even holds mini training sessions for cops and security. How much does this go into effect at gigs? Anyone have any good/bad security experiences to share?

Hi joelazar!:wave: Any more Ohio peeps? Let's take over...:evil: Btw, they're supposed to be building an IKEA around the Kettering area, if that means anything to you. Watch out for the opening day traffic.:crazy:

Another fellow Buckeye here... live in Powell (a BonoHair north of DUBLIN, OH, just north of downtown Columbus). From Port Clinton, went to BGSU, lived in Lakewood and now in Powell!

:hug:

I've seen the boys in Ohio Stadium (POP '97) and 2x in Chicago when I lived there ('01 Elevation and '05 Vertigo).

We'll have to start an Ohio Thread!

Go Bucks and Bono! :)

Back
Top Bottom