Bono will be Interviewed Live from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BluberryPoptart said:
The thing is, we all know about Bono's Africa work, nobody here is uniformed about what is going on and what he does and why. We all care, and in our own way, we do what we can. But honestly, most of us don't feel the need to keep talking about it and listing the facts again when everyone knows. What has been bothering me is that every time we have a thread about one of his political outings, somebody (no names but not only one person, and not only on PLEBA) will make a comment that seems aimed at making someone feel guilty, or not a good enough person or fan, because their post showed more interest in Bono's pictures or music than is his political work.

That doesn't mean that nobody cares, but we are fans, and we enjoy the excitement of new pics and band news. We know the Africa story, and as serious as it is, this would be a pretty boring forum if that's all we were allowed to mention in "Bono sighting" threads considering that probably more than half of them involve politics in some way. That's a good source of our Bono activity which we crave.

I don't see why a person can't feel free to say how good Bono looks, or wonder about the new CD, without being made to feel like a bad person who doesn't care about the poor African children. Lately it has been dragging the threads down and causing friction. If someone is so honestly disgusted by someone showing more interest in photos or albums, and you must say something about how much you care for Africa, it would be nice if it could be done in a way that doesn't reflect on other members (such as, "if it were me, I'd only mention Africa!" or "Sure is strange nobody shows any interest in this film until they find out he's going to be there in person!") Nobody appreciates being sent on guilt trips, the preachiness can sometimes become insulting as well as annoying. I have even seen guys on other parts of this forum openly say they didn't care, give me the album! It can actually drive people away instead of attracting them. If anybody thinks I'm an evil person for saying this, I'm sorry.

:up:

this is sort of what I was trying to say but I just didn't get it out quiet like this.

And I'd like to ad that this PLEBA not FYM!!!!!! If I wanted to get into a debate of any kind I'd be a regular there. I come to Pleba to have a good time and not debate. So I guess if it's a problem for anyone that people would rather talk about the upcoming CD or new pictures over Africa then maybe they should start a thread in FYM and keep it out of Pleba because I just don't think debates about anything belong here.

arw9797 said:

Bono is a rock star. He always will be known as the singer for U2 even when U2 is no more. Unfortunately most people don't have a clue about his work and if they do know they might not care. Everyone has issues they are passionate about and just because someone is not supporting Bono's issues does not mean they are less of a humanitarian. Good for you for being inspired by his work. I mean that. The more people that can get involved the better off Africa will be. But Bono's a rock star. He's my favorite singer and he's inspired me to do so much in my life and the life around me. If he comes to my town to speak you better believe that I'd go out of my way to be there and try to met him.

and I also find it hard to believe that any big time fan of Bono who was finally lucky enough to meet him would spend their one chance moment with him discussing AIDS and politics instead of mentioning U2 and how much he means to you through his music.
I also wonder if some people want to say how hot he looks, or whoopee new album coming, but feel guilty, or are wondering what Bono would think if he read it! I think Bono would not be upset to see U2 mentioned instead of or in addition to his causes. Even now in his speeches and political meetings, he is mentioning coming back for the tour. So why would he care if we do it?

82b448ce.jpg

8f0d0b98.jpg

db2960e2.jpg

cac2bce8.jpg

I got this from the atU2 list and thought it was beautiful..

Toronto Star
13th May, 2004

Young Author and Rock Star Trade Autographs

By Mary Gordon

Paige Pedlar autographed Bono's book and he autographed hers.

It was that kind of day.

The day before, the 7-year-old Grade 1 student was sitting in F.M.
Heard School in Whitby. At about 2 o'clock, her mother, Anna, got a
phone call. It was the Prime Minister's Office, saying the man himself
would like to see the book Paige wrote and illustrated about AIDS
orphans, "Who Will Cuddle Them When They Sleep?"

The next day, dressed in a black skirt, sweater and tights, Paige went
to Parliament Hill, where she got to meet with Paul Martin and Bono,
the lead singer of U2, who was in town to applaud Martin's
announcements about new spending for HIV/AIDS.

Paige sat on the rock star's lap and her 2-year-old sister Erin in Paul
Martin's, while people took photos.

"You're an amazing little girl," Bono told Paige. She gave him her book
and he said, "I have a little book to give you too."

He then gave her a book and CD of Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf,"
which
he illustrated with help from his daughters Jordan and Eve.

"Love to the amazing Paige, from Bono, 2004," his autograph says,
beside a drawing of himself. The night before the big day Paige told
her friends she was going to meet "the singer guy." Then her family
drove to Ottawa.

She got the idea for the book when she was watching television around
the time of World Aids Day in December.

Thanks, Mrs. Springsteen, for posting that WONDERFUL article about Bono and Paige.:up:

Paige sounds like a very special girl with a big heart and Bono's sweetness toward her is just another one of those Bono stories that helps to substantiate for me that the B-man TRULY IS AN ANGEL.:angel: :hug:

I would love to get a copy of little Paige's book - I wonder if she has a publisher?:love:

Instead of "beating each other up" here in this threads, THIS IS THE KIND OF POST THAT WE NEED MORE OF! It is positive, loving and unifying. Thank you.:yes:

And I think that if Bono didn't want to acknowledge or talk to people about U2 during his activities for Africa, then he wouldn't do it!

I think we NEED TO LET BONO MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS about his life and activities.:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

HE'S CAPABLE OF LIVING HIS OWN LIFE! (Love you, Bono)

I hope that kid knows how lucky she is, sitting on Bono's lap :) I'm sure she must already have a publisher or how would Bono have heard about the book? :confused:

Last edited:
pics with little girl who wrote the book.. sorry it's not working for me to post it at the moment but I attached one file

Attachments

• bono pm 2.bmp
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I saw the photo in the News forum-thanks Katey!

Here's the interview transcript..I didn't get to see it :(

CNN, May 14, 2004

BETTY NGUYEN, CNN ANCHOR: In the war on AIDS, the World Health Organization has what it calls the three by five initiative. It's a lofty goal to provide AIDS-fighting drugs to some three million infected people by the year 2005. But such an effort requires a lot of money. That's where rock star Bono and Canada's prime minister come in. CNN's Daryn Kagan spoke with both men about the health crusade.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

DARYN KAGAN, CNN ANCHOR: Bono and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin. Gentlemen, thanks for being with us.

PAUL MARTIN, PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA: Great to be here.

KAGAN: Bono, about six months ago you showed up in Canada, promising in your own typical way, to be a pain in the you know what to this prime minister.

(LAUGHTER)

BONO, SINGER, ACTIVIST: Yes, well, you know, we were make some demands of the Canadian people and Prime Minister Martin's new administration.

But, you know, the quid pro quo is the pain in the arse, if they don't do what we're asking. But we're here to give applause today because actually Canada has done some extraordinary things this week in dealing with the AIDS emergency. And I'm proud to be sit beside the man tonight.

KAGAN: Mr. Prime Minister, tell us exactly the commitment that Canada is making to the global fund to fight AIDS.

MARTIN: We doubled our commitment in terms of the global fund from last year. But in addition to that we just put $100 million into the World Health Organization's fund to essentially deal with roughly 50 percent of the 6 million people who are not receiving the AIDS cocktails that they require.

And at the same time we're the first country to allow low-cost, generic drugs to be made available to Africa. This is a total package.

And I've to say you're right about Bono's threat to be a pain. But I tell you, if that's the kind of pain that we're going to have to have, that's the kind of pain we'd like to have.

KAGAN: When the call comes here in America to give overseas and to give to people who are fighting AIDS in Africa, Mr. Prime Minister, people often say there's enough to do at home. So how do you answer your own critics in Canada that say that that money should be staying domestically?

MARTIN: We all live in different countries, but there is common humanity among us. And it's very, very hard, I certainly think for Canadians, for anybody in North America, to look at what's happening in Africa, to look at the decimation of societies and to look at the fact that there are more health care workers dying than that are being created. The same for teachers.

It's very hard for anybody to turn their back on that. And that's why I think that people like Bono were able to really create a huge wave of support for this kind of thing, effectively, then make it possible for governments to act. And in fact make it impossible for governments not to act.

KAGAN: So you've gotten your message across there in Canada, Bono. I understand you're planning some battleground states here in the U.S., trying to affect the U.S. presidential election.

BONO: Well we're trying to elect our issues throughout this, really. The AIDS emergency and extreme poverty.

And, you know, people are interested. They're not so cold. And they're cleverer than you think because these are dangerous times, it's a dangerous world. And, you know, in the southern hemisphere we are not, you know, always seen as a benign force in the world, in Europe and America and the United States and Canada.

I think these AIDS drugs are great advertisements for what we do best, out ingenuity and our technological capacity. And I just think that the time, it's smart money. As well as being compassionate, it's just smart money.

And we want to in the U.S. election just raise the bar for both President Bush and John Kerry. Both of whom have shown, you know, some far-thinking approaches on this issue. But both of them, you know, we want to go further.

And, yes. So the 15 swing states we're going to have church folk, soccer moms, rock stars, God knows who turning up and being a pain in the arse -- which is what we do best.

MARTIN: You know, your earlier question about what the effect on Canada. The fact is when Bono made his speech six months ago or when he and I worked on debt relief even earlier, what really is happening is that is reflecting Canadian values. This is not a difficult sell. In fact, Canadians are essentially asking their government -- and this may make it a lot easier for us -- they're asking our government to take a lead on this.

KAGAN: Your fans would be mad with me, Bono, if I didn't ask when is the next U2 album coming out?

BONO: You'll be very pleased or upset to hear that the U2 album is nearly finished. I had to sneak out and down the bathroom pole to get out over here today. But we'll be finished by the summer, single in September, album in October and November. And I can't tell you what it's called, but...

KAGAN: Sure you can.

BONO: ...it's a rock 'n' roll album. It's our first rock 'n' roll album.

KAGAN: First rock 'n' roll album. Well, you know, we always love you to come on and talk about world health issues so dear to your heart. you're also going to have to come back and talk about the album when it comes out.

Bono, thank you so much. Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin. Gentlemen, thanks for your time. Appreciate it.

MARTIN: Thank you.

BONO: Thank you.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

NGUYEN: And Bono will be among the featured speakers Monday at the University of Pennsylvania commencement. Afterward you can call him Dr. Bono. He'll receive a honorary doctorate of laws degree from the university.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom