Bono/U2 can bring people together!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russty Cat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought Plebans might appreciate this little story.

I saw the show Tuesday night in Oakland. I called my mother today to thank her for sending me birthday money to help with the trip expenses. My father who I haven't spoke with on the phone in almost 8 years got on the phone and instead of just giving the phone to my mother he asked how it was. That was surprising enough, but then when I told him that we actually saw the band arrive and Bono rolled down his window and waved and smiled. My father replied "He seems to be a great man. He does alot of good for this world." You could have freakin picked me up off the floor at that point. I had no idea my father even knew who U2 was let alone Bono! So I had a nice conversation with my father about the goodness that is Bono.

Who knew after so long that U2 and some Irish guy could bring a father and daughter together for a few moments. :heart:

ARGH! I meant to post this in the Pleban drawer! :madspit: :lol: my brain is tired. :wink:

I hope that moment will help you and your father start to reconnect. Family stuff is the most difficult and the most rewarding.
Thanks for sharing a very private moment.
Love & Peace:heart:

that's awesome :up:

U2 brought my brother and me together. we went to my first and his first U2 show together and we talked alot before the show and afterwards (we took the train to the arena there and back). now we're closer than we've ever been. before we.. hardly acted like each other existed :huh:

so I suppose in some way I understand you. :)
the feeling is really great, so I'm very happy for you. :hug:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your story. The Chicago shows in May and then again in September became real family outings for us. Both of my sisters (who post here as swandiver and ewings), our brother, his wife, and their 19-year-old son went to the May 9 show; then ewings, her 28-year-old son, and MrPurrl and I went to the September 20 show. We've all always been very close and have enjoyed doing things together, but sharing U2 shows has been a very special, almost spiritual thing for us. MrPurrl didn't even feel grouchy after the show. :lol: I'm very happy for swandiver and her daughter, who have the Tampa show to look forward to.

These are great stories. U2 has brought so many new wonderful friends into my life and my sister and I shared our first show in San Diego, then again shared the shows in Vegas and I have Portland to look forward to with her. I am glad she has become a U2 fan and admirer and that we have this to share along with our sisterhood. :happy:

These are great to read.

After seeing my first U2 show ever during the Elevation tour I was beyond emotional and got back into contact with my mother, who I hadn't spoken to in over a year at the time because of a falling out between us. Our relationship has been closer than it ever was before--in three days we're going on a weeklong trip to Dublin together with a return trip to see U2 at Madison Square Garden. :heart:

Yes U2 does bring people together :hug:

So glad it brought you & your dad closer

I've made so many friends on here and have got to meet some of those closest to my heart :heart: whilst watching U2 perform in Europe & US/Canada

greeneyedgirl, bonoishot, Drea, flowersinthemud, FlyYourKite, jobob, ruffian, Sad_Girl, susanp6, VintagePunk, & ~BrightestStar~ :love::heart:

All these stories are so great. Its so nice to know that they have helped other people as well. I can still hear my dad in my head and it gives me hope that maybe some day we will have more of a relationship.

Its great how many friends the band has brought together as well. I honestly dont' know where I would be without my friend who I met thanks to U2 and Pleba. CeeCee has become such an important person in my life and it was so fun to be able to see our first show together. There's nothing like sharing your love of U2 with someone you love. :heart:

starsgoblue said:
These are great to read.

After seeing my first U2 show ever during the Elevation tour I was beyond emotional and got back into contact with my mother, who I hadn't spoken to in over a year at the time because of a falling out between us. Our relationship has been closer than it ever was before--in three days we're going on a weeklong trip to Dublin together with a return trip to see U2 at Madison Square Garden. :heart:

Stars, that is wonderful! Please tell us everything about your trip when you return. My sisters swandiver and ewings, our brother, and I keep saying we need to go to Ireland before we are too old to walk around and enjoy it. :wink: Maybe your trip will give us the kick in the pants we need to get us going.

Russty thats such a great story :hug::heart:

and ditto to what wild wrote, it has been amazing meeting my girls from PPG

WildHoney, flowersinthemud, FlyYourKite, ruffian, Sad_Girl, VintagePunk, Bri, Drea, susanp6, greeneyedgirl, & jobob :heart:

and soon to meet DG, Jules and ruff(again) in Boston :heart:

MsPurrl said:

Stars, that is wonderful! Please tell us everything about your trip when you return. My sisters swandiver and ewings, our brother, and I keep saying we need to go to Ireland before we are too old to walk around and enjoy it. :wink: Maybe your trip will give us the kick in the pants we need to get us going.

My mum is 56 years old and she's already roughed out a GA line with me in Philly! If she can go bar crawling with me in Dublin and then straight to MSG--you guys can totally do it! I'll bring back lots of pics! :hug:

:wave:

I had an extra tix to see u2, so my daughter (who I drive crazy with my obsession with u2 and boy does she let me know it) volunteered to go. I know she wasn't crazy about going, but she did it for me. At the time, it wasn't announced yet who was opening for them at MSG on the night , so it was wonderful when I could suprise her with the news she would see her favorite band, No Doubt at the same concert.
So off we went, mother and daughter to each see our favorite bands. We had a great time, and will never forget it.

I love this thread.

My parents came up from out of state to visit me for my birthday last weekend (it's been a tumultuous year, I think they're just glad I'm still around).

Dad and I are so much alike we sometimes have trouble connecting, as is often the case. (Heard that one before? LOL)

Right before they left, my 70-year-old dad (no, I'm not exactly a young pup) asks if I mind if he looks around my office -- "the U2 shrine." I'm surprised, but I say of course not and follow him in. For the next 15 minutes he asks me questions -- "How does this Bono guy fly all over the world meeting with politicians and keep his band job?" "Who's this guy?" ("That's Larry, Dad, and the two of you would get along like a house afire.") "Doesn't this guy ever take off that hat?" ("Hardly ever; you have more hair than he does, and apparently he's not comfortable about that") "And this guy?" ("Adam, the bassist -- look, he has the same coloring as you along with your upside down smile; maybe we're related!") "Who's that woman with Bono?" ("His wife of 23 years" -- "Impressive.")

It was the first time he had ever asked about U2, for as long as they've been a presence in my life. After returning from the Milwaukee concert I mentioned to them over the phone that I credited them for saving my life. I think he finally took my comment seriously and -- maybe? -- was paying a little respect. Don't know, but it was a wonderful few moments.

Please keep this thread going, I'm enjoying it very much.

:hug: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :heart:

PopDaisy said:
I love this thread.

My parents came up from out of state to visit me for my birthday last weekend (it's been a tumultuous year, I think they're just glad I'm still around).

Dad and I are so much alike we sometimes have trouble connecting, as is often the case. (Heard that one before? LOL)

Right before they left, my 70-year-old dad (no, I'm not exactly a young pup) asks if I mind if he looks around my office -- "the U2 shrine." I'm surprised, but I say of course not and follow him in. For the next 15 minutes he asks me questions -- "How does this Bono guy fly all over the world meeting with politicians and keep his band job?" "Who's this guy?" ("That's Larry, Dad, and the two of you would get along like a house afire.") "Doesn't this guy ever take off that hat?" ("Hardly ever; you have more hair than he does, and apparently he's not comfortable about that") "And this guy?" ("Adam, the bassist -- look, he has the same coloring as you along with your upside down smile; maybe we're related!") "Who's that woman with Bono?" ("His wife of 23 years" -- "Impressive.")

It was the first time he had ever asked about U2, for as long as they've been a presence in my life. After returning from the Milwaukee concert I mentioned to them over the phone that I credited them for saving my life. I think he finally took my comment seriously and -- maybe? -- was paying a little respect. Don't know, but it was a wonderful few moments.

Please keep this thread going, I'm enjoying it very much.

:hug: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :heart:

Pop Daisy that is such a great story! Your dad and my dad should get together and have a party. :giggle: My dad is also a lot like Larry, very quite, can be rather gruff, but every once in a while you see his sense of humor and love shine thru.

The part about the band saving your life rings so close to home for me. And I think my dad as well has finally realized what a big part music has played in my life. This has been one of the hardest years I've ever gone thru and U2 and the music was a God send. I don't think the band will ever know all the good they do for so many people.

I just want to hug all of the guys and all of you for all the joy and love that is in this thread. :heart: I had no idea when I posted that it would lead to all these great stories. This makes me so happy to know I'm not alone in dealing with troubled family stuff, but also not alone in being thankful for the good times. :love:

This thread is so sweet! :happy: I've met some really fantastic people from interference and soon to meet more in December! :)

And this thread makes me appreciate the time I have with my parents. I don't know what I'd do without them. :heart:

U2Girl1978 said:
This thread is so sweet! :happy: I've met some really fantastic people from interference and soon to meet more in December! :)

And this thread makes me appreciate the time I have with my parents. I don't know what I'd do without them. :heart:

I'm glad you appreciate your time with your parents. We lost our mom in 2001, and I miss her every day. I only hope that I can inspire just a part of that love and trust in my own son. So far, so good! :wink: I haven't been able to get him to a U2 show yet, but I think that's just timing. My sister (who posts here as swandiver) and her daughter are going to the Tampa show this Wednesday night, with seats very close to the stage, Edge side. Can't wait to see her pictures!

PopDaisy, I'm definitely not a young pup, either. But I'm totally on board with this love of U2 and am proud to be a member of "the tribe." Thanks to everyone for sharing these great stories, and hugs to all. :hug:

I love this thread. It's so heartwarming.

Interference inspired me to get in touch with an old friend of mine, Nora. Nora and I met over ten years ago when we volunteered at the Chicago Peace Museum. Being huge U2 fans and totally goofy and snarky, we got along very well and were the best of friends.

Sadly, a few years ago, we had a huge falling out. It boiled down to ignorance, bull-headedness, and selfishness on both parts.

After joining Interference and finding a place with people just as obsessed with U2 as me, I got very nostalgic for my friendship with Nora. I just knew she would appreciate the kindness, intelligence, and snark of the people of Interference. I would peruse PLEBA and would think to myself, "Nora would totally die if she saw this picture of Bono."

Last month I found her e-mail address and I sent her an e-mail extending an olive branch and telling her I missed her and our friendship. She wrote back telling me that she had missed me and was wondering what I was up to. We've been keeping in touch and rebuilding our friendship. Today I checked my mail, and there was a Target gift card from Nora. So sweet. I'm so glad we friends again. After going through one of the worst years of my life, I really treasure her kindness.

Back
Top Bottom