Bono to Receive Special NAACP Award

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbird

War Child
on the E news crawl it was announced that Bono will receive a special achievement award from the NAACP which will be televised in the US on Fox March 2nd at 8PM (local time).... could not find anything else online about this....

tbird said:
on the E news crawl it was announced that Bono will receive a special achievement award from the NAACP which will be televised in the US on Fox March 2nd at 8PM (local time).... could not find anything else online about this....

Google shows that date as being the broadcast of the NAACP Image Awards so but the article about the awards didn't mention Bono. It seems to me that a lot of Bono's appearances lately are not confirmed or really publicized until the last minute. Like the MPH concert in Melbourne. From what I remember there was no advance confirmation of Bono and Edge's appearance and I think that there was mention that this was due to security concerns. It seems to me that wherever possible Bono's itinerary is being kept under wraps. I am hoping this is just due to concerns about handling the large number of people who show up and not due to anything more threatening. Bono has recieved death threats before, most notably during the JT tour, but he has commented in the past that that was not an isolated incident. It is one of the reasons that the band takes their families security so seriously. I remember Edge being extremely ticked off at journalist who printed stories implying that Salmon Rushdie was living at Bono's guest house. He lambasted them for endangering Bono's family by falsely claiming that Rushdie lived there. This was during or shortly after the Zoo tour when Rushdie was still in hiding.

Dana

I knew what the NAACP was from Black Civil Rights in History last year :D feel smart.

That's awesome though, hopefully there's some more info soon!

Re: Re: Bono to Receive Special NAACP Award

rihannsu said:

... He lambasted them for endangering Bono's family by falsely claiming that Rushdie lived there. This was during or shortly after the Zoo tour when Rushdie was still in hiding.

I do love to see "lambasted" used in conversation :D :up:

Words are cool.

And yay Bono if this award thing is true :)

Haven't seen this coming, cool.
Has Bono received his knighthood yet? We haven't heard anything about that and it's already end of January. Maybe he picked it up in all silence? How untypical of him.
btw, Bono will be in Davos from Wedneyday next week.

Here's a link with a little bit of info:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=555059

According to that article, from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

" Liguori also announced that Fox will air "The 38th NAACP Image Awards" live on March 2, the first time any broadcast network has shown the ceremony.

The civil rights group will give an award for public service to Irish musician Bono, the U2 frontman who has raised millions to fight poverty and AIDS.

A few years ago, accepting another award on live TV, the singer used a questionable seven-letter word to intensify the word "brilliant," causing a flap that has kept on flapping in some quarters.

A critic asked if Fox would take special precautions before sending another Bono speech out over its air.

"We'll have the same level of (monitoring) as we do with all live television," Liguori said. "There's a delay (of several seconds), we'll have people watching, and that will take care of whatever might be offensive." "

Can't believe they're still talking about the whole f-word thing. :rolleyes:

I can't believe the only thing they find worthy to report about the whole thing is this stupid f-word-incident. Don't people have something else to worry about?

Ralphie said:

Can't believe they're still talking about the whole f-word thing. :rolleyes:
*le gasp* Not the F-word! :no: Children will be scarred! Families will be torn asunder! Think of the children!! :scream:

:wink:

Seriously now, good for Bono. Much deserved :kiss:

That incident was like 4 years ago where he dropped the F bomb....Given a situation such as the NAACP, I don't see him using a salty tongue.

That is wonderful for him...He must be really proud of this one.
:applaud:

Originally posted by kafrun
*le gasp* Not the F-word! :no: Children will be scarred! Families will be torn asunder! Think of the children!! :scream:

:lol:

I myself swooned when I heard it. Then I had to call in sick to work the next day because I still had the vapors.

Originally posted by Ralphie
Can't believe they're still talking about the whole f-word thing. :rolleyes: [/B]

IMHO, if "critics" and anyone else are so mightily concerned about "the f-word" being broadcast, they should go after rap "music", which uses it profusely. I'm not a prude, and I have been known to use that word myself. But I don't like hearing it on the "music" being played in stores, etc. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :madwife:

According to an article out today:

"Fox (TV) will air "The 38th NAACP Image Awards" live on March 2, the first time any broadcast network has shown the ceremony.

The civil rights group will give an award for public service to Irish musician Bono, the U2 frontman who has raised millions to fight poverty and AIDS."

As someone who has been watching the NAACP Image Awards TV program since the early 1980's, I AM OVERJOYED to know that Bono would be honored by the NAACP - the oldest U.S. Civil Rights organization for his fight FOR AFRICA and against extreme poverty!

This would be a GREAT HONOR for Bono as it shows the growing love and respect for him not just in Africa but even amongst increasing numbers of people throughout the African diaspora!

KUDOS TO BONO - you completely deserve this award.
(((( hugs))))

So far not many details have been released about this award but here is the link to learn more about the NAACP Image Awards:

http://www.naacpimageawards.net/38thImageAwards/press.html

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Cassandra said:
I'm proud as an African-American that the NAACP is giving this award to Bono and proud as a fan that he's getting it. Congrats, Bono!

Cassandra, I am SO GLAD that you posted your thoughts - I completely agree with you. :wink:

Although I am "white", I grew up in the Civil Rights Movement and know how momentous of an award this is for Bono to receive.

Few "white" people have been so honored with this Award from the NAACP so it is indeed a VERY SPECIAL AWARD for Bono to receive.

And I know that he understands and appreciates the significance of this Award also.

So very, very cool! :bonodrum:

kafrun said:

Imagine if there had been some sort of wardrobe malfunction, too! Horrors!

(Anyway, go on with your bad self, Bono! Woot!)

Cassandra said:
I'm proud as an African-American that the NAACP is giving this award to Bono and proud as a fan that he's getting it. Congrats, Bono!

Same here. I'm really excited by this. I can't wait to see it! And for once, he will appear on a channel that is NOT ABC, which means if I adjust my rabbit ears just right, I get to see it :hyper:

Jamila said:
According to an article out today:

"Fox (TV) will air "The 38th NAACP Image Awards" live on March 2, the first time any broadcast network has shown the ceremony.

The civil rights group will give an award for public service to Irish musician Bono, the U2 frontman who has raised millions to fight poverty and AIDS."

As someone who has been watching the NAACP Image Awards TV program since the early 1980's, I AM OVERJOYED to know that Bono would be honored by the NAACP - the oldest U.S. Civil Rights organization for his fight FOR AFRICA and against extreme poverty!

This would be a GREAT HONOR for Bono as it shows the growing love and respect for him not just in Africa but even amongst increasing numbers of people throughout the African diaspora!

KUDOS TO BONO - you completely deserve this award.
(((( hugs))))

So far not many details have been released about this award but here is the link to learn more about the NAACP Image Awards:

http://www.naacpimageawards.net/38thImageAwards/press.html

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila, I don't know how you do it--you are just so "good" all the time! Don't you have even one mean, bitchy bone in your body? If not, I envy you! :hug:

Actually, MsPurrl - I really don't have a bitchy bone in my body.

I started following the philosophy of Dr. King at a very early age and that has never failed me yet.

I accept your words as a compliment, my friend. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom