Bono to host June 7th concert in Germany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From Christian Today:

Bono to Host 'Your Voice Against Poverty' Concert at G8 Summit
U2’s frontman Bono will be heading a group of renowned singers as they perform an alternative programme at the Group of Eight (G8) Summit, concert organisers have announced.
by Kevin Donovan

Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 8:28 (BST)

U2’s frontman Bono will be heading a group of renowned singers as they perform an alternative programme at the Group of Eight (G8) Summit, concert organisers have announced.

With the slogan ‘Your Voice against Poverty’, Bono and German singer-song writer Herbert Gronemeyer will hold the concert in Rostock, near Heiligendamm, on June 7.

Heads of State and government of Germany, France, Great Britain, Italy, US, Canada, Japan, and Russia will attend the summit to be held in Rostock city from June 6 to 8.

Bono was honoured earlier this month at the 38th NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People) Image Awards for his contribution to the fight against Aids and global poverty.

The NAACP and The ONE Campaign announced an unprecedented new alliance at the awards, joining together for the first time in a life-saving partnership in the fight against global Aids and extreme poverty in Africa and the world’s poorest countries.

good for him

Bono seems to be very Germany centered these days

David Hasselhoff watch your back

There's been some speculation about this, some say it's not confirmed. I'm planing on going, it's a holiday here, I'd book a flight as soon as it is confirmed. I heard there aren't any tickets out yet. It would be such a great thing to be part of!

last unicorn said:
There's been some speculation about this, some say it's not confirmed. I'm planing on going, it's a holiday here, I'd book a flight as soon as it is confirmed. I heard there aren't any tickets out yet. It would be such a great thing to be part of!

Yes, I want to go as well... I hope it will be confirmed very soon!

last unicorn said:

Yeah, I just realized that it is a holiday :) So maybe I can go, too! Would be cool! But I'll wait for a confirmation, too.

:cool:

I wonder if theres leave left at work. I've always wanted to visit Germany. :drool:

Anyone who knows the area? Is it near Berlin, Munich? Is it easy to get to?

Sorry for all the questions. :reject::lol:

Yay Bono. :rockon:

Last edited:
Rostock is in the north of Germany, near Berlin, but I think Hamburg is nearer ^^'
Can't give any detailed informations tho since I'm living in the south of Germany ^^
I'm sure someone can give better informations :wink:

(Wanna go too :sad: My grand-parents live in Hamburg, maybe I should visit them :whistle: )

Edit:
bild1er1.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Denmark, so that's quite close... But why go if U2 isn't playing? Sure, if U2 played, I was SO there, but they're not. We're not even sure that Bono will sing a U2 song. So why the hype?

Last edited:
Because I live so close. And even though Bono isn't U2, he is a very special person.

I would go to hear Bono talk, sing, whatever, to see him, just be part of this event, that would be so great. I have relatives in Hamburg who I wanted to visit again this year anyway so I may connect these two occassions. I so hope this is true.

ok, time to make plans to go to europe. let's see, i've got some change in my pocket, 75cents, another quarter, a couple of nickles, yep, getting there, getting there......... now just checking under my couch pillows for some more loose change and me and the Bman are finally going to see each other........ :wink:

i wish.......... :sad:

I've seen another article earlier this week about this and Bono appearing, but it was the same as biff posted, so I can't comfirm the concert.

I also saw this article:
http://jurnalo.com/jurnalo/storyPage.do?story_id=26006

Biggest police operation in German history for G8
Wednesday 28 March 2007 04:05

On the Saturday before the summit, tens of thousands of protesters plan to attend a rally in Rostock, and it is conceivable some might walk off into the countryside towards Heiligendamm.

and then there was this:

A small naval exclusion zone will be declared offshore in mid-May and this will be extended on June 3 to embrace nearly 21 kilometres of coast up to 11 kilometres from the white-sand beach.
Police refuse to confirm news reports that two US warships will help patrol offshore, with additional responsibility to intercept any incoming missiles.
:yikes:
there will be protester's, police and world/national security, etc.
(wish I could be there)
never underestimate a Pleban, however.
Have fun and be sure to get pic's.. :wink:

edited to say: this was the other article I saw earlier this week.
http://www.plenglish.com/article.asp?ID={649AE229-2958-4E85-86FB-4CAA11FF715E}&language=EN

Last edited:
I think right now that this concert is more of a hopeful wish than a certainty.

Like Live8, if it comes together, it will probably be a free concert announced at the last minute.

I think the public announcement of a possible concert might have been a bit premature by the media. :ohmy:

When George Bush was here last year they also met at Heiligendamm. The Secret Service was everywhere making sure no one could be a threat for the President.
However, later in the day a Greenpeace activist (or maybe amnesty international, I'm mot 100% sure) rolled out a banner at the top of a steeple.

The Secret Service was just checking the ground level of the church :D

Back
Top Bottom