bono the rockstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onekea

Refugee
there's an interesting interview of singer jovanotti with bono on the latest italian issue of GQ.
a little pleban's bird suggested me that someone could be interested in some snippets so I (tried to) translate it...

Jovanotti:ciao bono!
Bono: ehi, ciao!
J: is it my soul’s voice which I’m hearing?
B: I’m the flea in your ear. The rock in your shoe.
J: the rock in my shoe, this sounds good..
B: it always takes a rock in the shoe. Rockstars never should have a steady step…you have to keep a funky step and a rock in the shoe is helpful if you want to be funky.
J: in italy we say "I’m the thorn in your side/flesh"…
B: ok, but I wouldn’t like to be your Achilles heel at all…anyway I’m pleased to hear your voice, really pleased.

GQ1.jpg

about how M.Luther Kind did inspire him.

B: it can’t be said that I’m naturally inclined to the no-violence. In reality I rather have an aggressive nature…I was pretty good giving a beating…but then I knew that black preacher and read a lot about him. (...) and the poetry of his speeches, the religiousness of the black Christian community…you can feel it through the blues, the gospel…they are great orators, not like me. I just whisper at my speeches…
J: are you ever afraid when you’re speaking?
B: no. irish people never keep their mouth shut…anyway I believe violence is sometimes as incisive as words and even more. It just isn’t my instrument. (…) fact is, that all the persons that are more close to me, i.e. the band and my family, haven’t got an idea of what I am doing while I’m not at home and don’t sing. And as I come back from Africa I never talk about my experiences, I keep a lot of thing to myself. Therefore I hold a lot of speeches on youtube that are listened from no one, apart of you probably.

GQ2.jpg

about italy.

Italy is Europe’s heart. Europe without italy has no heart, is unable to pump blood. Some of the most extraordinary experiences in my music life were in italy. it seems as italy is U2’s country. I always had this sensation. And the band too. I saw brian eno, the most rational person I ever knew, crying for this tide of emotions rising up from the crowd at our Italian concerts.

GQ3.jpg

abou the new album.

J: btw, I know U2 are working in studio..
B: oh yes, we are. And we’re having a good time. We went to morocco for a religion music festival in Fez. You know, even larry that sometimes finds difficult just moving from the north side to the south one of Dublin believed we had to go there. We found a little hotel with a central inner courtyard from where we could hear muezzin calling for the prayers. And there we made our most incredible, radical music of our life. It isn’t alike to anyone other’s music. Even different to our music. I believe we will end the album next summer and release it in autumn..even if, as I said to the other “we should draft a plan..” but larry said to me “You know, I’m really happy”. “what for?” I asked him. “for not having a plan” he answered.
J: how is edge doing?
B: he is always a bit frantic, you know. He spends a lot of time alone in the studio, making noise. So much noise that I’m afraid one day someone will call the police. (...) But it was a while I didn’t see him so in love with the music. I didn’t see him so excited since the JT-time. Maybe he was so concentrated also while Achtung baby but was also a lot upset. Instead, now everything seems to go for the best.
J: your music is like the morning light after the night. And it’s incredible that you’re so close-knit and operative after so many years. Always on the vanguard. How do you do it?
B: well..you know..some prehistoric paintings with U2’s lyrics on has been found somewhere…maybe it’s us that don’t want to turn into dinosaurs, because we would risk to become extinct in a short time. Therefore we always try to renew and rebirth. And you, will you send me your new albumw
J: of course I will. With some of my wine too.
B: you’ll better do it!

GQ4.jpg

most of the interview is about his humanitarian engagements. he shows the results of his campaign for africa and the future targets with that excitement and lovely determination we are use to in bono. if someone is interested in the translation please let me know :wave:

GQ5.jpg

edurban said:
must.call.mum.tell.her.to.buy.GQ

I can e-mail you the whole article if you want, ed. :wave:

glad you appreciated it, girls. I'm sorry I didn't have time to post more interesting snippets so far. the interview is indeed really worth.

thanks again. :wink:

onekea said:

I can e-mail you the whole article if you want, ed. :wave:

yes please! :drool:
redux7 [at] hotmail [dot] com

grazie!!!!!

p.s. where have you been??? there was no sign of you in leather day this week!!!!

edurban said:
yes please! :drool:
redux7 [at] hotmail [dot] com
grazie!!!!!
p.s. where have you been??? there was no sign of you in leather day this week!!!!

ok, I'll post you later at home :up:

and..well...I didn't have much time this last month and besides I've been very busy with those crazy of mot and blm...:blahblah:

:hug:

Thanks onekea for all the trouble of translating and scanning.

onekea, can you send me the article, too? My Italian should be good enough. Are there any new photos in there?

zypresse28 at yahoo.de

thanks!

last unicorn said:
onekea, can you send me the article, too? My Italian should be good enough. Are there any new photos in there?
zypresse28 at yahoo.de
thanks!

sure.
and no, unfortunately there aren't new pics :( :sigh:

Bono Mot said:
:hug:
Thanks onekea for all the trouble of translating and scanning.

you're welcome, mot. and it's anyway a pity that a certain someone else didn't bother using it somewhere else...:grumpy: :shrug:

Bono'sLady said:
I hope he means the summer and fall of this year,08 and not later.

I suspect he does, if the Italian language is any thing like the Finnish language! Coz when we say in Finnish about the next summer, autumn or whatever, it actually means the coming summer, autumn etc.

Thanks for the article Onekea and translation! :up:

Hi Onekea, can i use those scans and translation in my site? I'll give you credits.

Eventually can you send me the scans via email? thanks!

u2star[at]hotmail.it

replace at with @, you know because of spammers!
:wink:

Bye

Lara_Croft said:
Hi Onekea, can i use those scans and translation in my site? I'll give you credits.
Eventually can you send me the scans via email? thanks!
u2star[at]hotmail.it
replace at with @, you know because of spammers!
:wink:
Bye

sure, lara.
and you don't have to quote me. just give credits to interference please, I feel part of it :wink:

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom