Bono the Graduate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll have to try and download that speech...perhaps tomorrow.

Merc said:
In high school? Actually we really don't "get" anything... We buy the hat ourselves and you can buy T-shirts, sweatshirt ect. with this text on: "Student anno 2001" (<--- the year you graduate from High School) in colours matching the ribbon on your hat (or the colour of your hat - we have different kind of high schools and every kind has their own ribbon-colour plus the hat can be black or white. :yes: The black hat is the first and "original" model from the 1870's, but almost no one ever buys that anymore - the white model became the "real" students hat around 1900).
Besides the hat and the shirt we of course get our diploma, but it isn't decorated or anything like that. It's just a white piece of paper - a list of all your subjects, the levels of the subjects you've had, and your final grades... And the head masters signature of course! :D
At the graduation day there is a ceremoni at the school where the head master gives a speach, you sing a few songs and everyone gets on stage and get their diploma from the head master. After the ceremoni is over the fun part begins! :wink: ... and there are *so* many traditions included in this :yes: You drive around to all the parents and around the entire town on a truck (stading on the back of the truck) and the truck is decorated with signs, ballons, flowers ect. The tradition says, you have to go to a certain place in the town you live in - here in Copenhagen it's "Kongens Nytorv", one of the central squares, and dance around a statue :huh: ... And depending on what you do during the graduation day, you have to do certain things to your hat... Crazy :coocoo: but fun! :D

When I grauate from the university?! A diploma (again a boring piece of white paper, only with the grades on...), a hand shake from the head master, a speach given by a totally unknown person from some company, the health board, whatever and... :hmm: nothing else, I guess...

Ah, I see. That's pretty cool, actually, particularly the part about the traditions and whatnot. Sounds like a blast. :D. Here, most kids just hold parties (heh, the week I graduated, I ate so much cake and as a result, it took me a while before I could even look at it again, let alone eat it. LOL). The clothing sounds kinda cool, too.

Originally posted by Merc
If anything exciting happens, I'll let you know in 2 years time :sexywink:

LOL, okay.

Angela

We had to buy our high school grad hats. They were very cheap, thin silky looking material with a piece of cardboard inside. They didn't look or fit very good :huh:

I'm graduating from high school tonight! :hyper: Nothing too exciting will be happening at my graduation though. But I think I'm going to do this:

bono.jpg

Just to be silly and cute like Bono. :tongue:

i dont get crap for graduating. i homeschooled this year so i dont get a diploma or anything. no graduation gifts. no bloody hat. just a kick in the ass, and GED classes! lol. oh well, at least i dont have to walk down an aisle with a bunch of people i dont like at a school that is known as the worst in my state! no lie. we have the worst drug problems, along with attendance, grades, and oh yeah, you cant even go straight to college from it because they "dont have enough money for all the classes you need for your total credits" there is PE for electives. thats it. i will take the kick in the ass over that. just means theres more freedom for me to move to ireland and become bonos personal assistant. "do you need help zipping that up? you need your back rubbed? would you like me to run my fingers through your hair while you sing to me?...." yep life is dandy

Queen Bee said:
:love: Great pictures, Kelly! :bow:

Turns out that our diplomas were not rolled up like that. Bummer! Although I didn't get to mimick Bono as planned I had a great time. :)

Thanks, Angela. :hug: :wink:

In college, we didn't get our diploma at the ceremony, the just handed us a diploma cover :huh: Our diploma's were mailed to our houses a couple of months later. There was an error on mine, so I had to go through the registrar's office to get a correct one, and that took another three months :lol: A little later, I went to a shop to have it "mounted" (basically laminated on a piece of wood). After awhile, the edges started to curl up and it no longer lays flat

Thus ends the saga of Kelly's diploma :lol: I have no idea what happened to my high school one :reject:

edited to add: I forgot to say Congratulations Queen Bee! :wave:

Last edited:
Kelly that sounds like something that would only happen to me :huh: Something always goes wrong.

Queen Bee- CONGRATULATIONS on graduating! :happy: :up: :dance:

You're welcome, Queen Bee. :hug:. Sorry you didn't get to do that whole bit with your diploma, but glad you had a good time anyway.

kellyahern said:
In college, we didn't get our diploma at the ceremony, the just handed us a diploma cover :huh: Our diploma's were mailed to our houses a couple of months later. There was an error on mine, so I had to go through the registrar's office to get a correct one, and that took another three months :lol: A little later, I went to a shop to have it "mounted" (basically laminated on a piece of wood). After awhile, the edges started to curl up and it no longer lays flat

Thus ends the saga of Kelly's diploma :lol: I have no idea what happened to my high school one :reject:

LOL, oh, no!

Originally posted by u2bonogirl
i dont get crap for graduating. i homeschooled this year so i dont get a diploma or anything. no graduation gifts. no bloody hat. just a kick in the ass, and GED classes! lol.

Aw. :( :hug:.

oh well, at least i dont have to walk down an aisle with a bunch of people i dont like at a school that is known as the worst in my state! no lie. we have the worst drug problems, along with attendance, grades,

Yeesh, kinda sounds like my old schools.

and oh yeah, you cant even go straight to college from it because they "dont have enough money for all the classes you need for your total credits" there is PE for electives. thats it.

That sucks. "Not enough money"-what in the world is causing the lack of money there?

Originally posted u2bonogirl
i will take the kick in the ass over that. just means theres more freedom for me to move to ireland and become bonos personal assistant. "do you need help zipping that up? you need your back rubbed? would you like me to run my fingers through your hair while you sing to me?...." yep life is dandy

LOL, good idea. As long as you've got a plan :D.

Some more great pictures here. Bono's such a goofball, seriously...and I really do like the cap and gown on him. It really does suit him. :).

Angela

What's the link to the video of Bono's speech so I can download it and save it.How is the quality of the picture?I watched the graduation that night on some other link from here and the picture wasn't that great.Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom