Bono Presenting U2 3D At Cannes Film Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
It was announced today that Bono will indeed present U2 3D at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival next month. According to the festival's press kit, there will be a midnight screening of the film, which has a listed running time of 55 minutes..........:drool:

From Time Out:

Cannes line-up announced-

David Fincher's 'Zodiac'The line-up for the 60th Cannes Film Festival has been announced, and it's a US heavy line-up, with Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher, Gus Van Sant and the Coen brothers all having films in competition.

Tarantino is to bring an extended version of his 'Grindhouse' horror 'Death Proof', Fincher will present 'Zodiac', Gus Van Sant has 'Paranoid Park' playing while the Coen brothers return to the festival with 'No Country For Old Men'.

Europe is also well represented, through Fatih Akin ('Auf der anderen Seite des Lebens'), Emir Kusturica ('Promise Me This'), Catherine Breillat ('Une Vieille Maitresse') and Bela Tarr ('The Man from London').

Elsewhere, Harmony Korine and Barbet Schroeder have films in the Un Certain Regard section ('Mister Lonely' and 'L'Avocat de la terreur' respectively), while the always controversial Abel Ferrara has 'Go Go Tales' playing as a midnight screening.

The opening night film is Wong Kar Wai's English-language debut 'My Blueberry Nights' (which marks the acting debut of American songbird Norah Jones) while Denys Arcand's 'The Age of Darkness' will close proceedings.

As far as glamour goes, the 'Ocean's Thirteen' gang will doubtless be in town for the premiere of their new movie, while modern-day Mother Teresa Bono will present concert flick 'U2-3D'.

Michael Winterbottom will be flying the British flag with 'A Mighty Heart', while perhaps the most high-profile film of the fest will be Michael Moore's attack on America's health system 'Sicko'.

Cannes runs from May 16 to 27, with Stephen Frears serving as jury president, and team Time Out will be sending back daily blogs from the festival.

Modern Day Mother Teresa
:|

Last edited:
one4u2 said:
It was announced today that Bono will indeed present U2 3D at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival next month. According to the festival's press kit, there will be a midnight screening of the film, which has a listed running time of 55 minutes..........:drool:

From Time Out:

Cannes line-up announced-

David Fincher's 'Zodiac'The line-up for the 60th Cannes Film Festival has been announced, and it's a US heavy line-up, with Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher, Gus Van Sant and the Coen brothers all having films in competition.

Tarantino is to bring an extended version of his 'Grindhouse' horror 'Death Proof', Fincher will present 'Zodiac', Gus Van Sant has 'Paranoid Park' playing while the Coen brothers return to the festival with 'No Country For Old Men'.

Europe is also well represented, through Fatih Akin ('Auf der anderen Seite des Lebens'), Emir Kusturica ('Promise Me This'), Catherine Breillat ('Une Vieille Maitresse') and Bela Tarr ('The Man from London').

Elsewhere, Harmony Korine and Barbet Schroeder have films in the Un Certain Regard section ('Mister Lonely' and 'L'Avocat de la terreur' respectively), while the always controversial Abel Ferrara has 'Go Go Tales' playing as a midnight screening.

The opening night film is Wong Kar Wai's English-language debut 'My Blueberry Nights' (which marks the acting debut of American songbird Norah Jones) while Denys Arcand's 'The Age of Darkness' will close proceedings.

As far as glamour goes, the 'Ocean's Thirteen' gang will doubtless be in town for the premiere of their new movie, while modern-day Mother Teresa Bono will present concert flick 'U2-3D'.

Michael Winterbottom will be flying the British flag with 'A Mighty Heart', while perhaps the most high-profile film of the fest will be Michael Moore's attack on America's health system 'Sicko'.

Cannes runs from May 16 to 27, with Stephen Frears serving as jury president, and team Time Out will be sending back daily blogs from the festival.

Modern Day Mother Teresa
:|

Are we going to France too? :giggle:

55 minutes??? how many songs are in this movie? Bonos speeches alone cost 54 minutes of the movie

Alisaura said:

Speech issues aside....

Yeah, 55 minutes?! :sad:

From what I understand movies at Cannes are not shown in full, meaning it's just a portion of the film (I think the film makers make a special version to show at events like this). I read that U23D is longer than the 55 minutes and that they are showing an short version of it like the other films there. So don't worry folks it won't be this short..
If I can find the article I will post it here.

oktobergirl said:
Is anyone else tempted to go see Meet the Robinson's just to see the trailer on the big screen? :reject:

i went to specially to see the trailer a while back.. but no trailer... It depends on the movie theater chain.. Not all chose the trailer to show along with Meet the robinsons.. So, I would ask someone who did see it what theater they went to (theater chain) before you decide to go or not.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

From what I understand movies at Cannes are not shown in full, meaning it's just a portion of the film (I think the film makers make a special version to show at events like this). I read that U23D is longer than the 55 minutes and that they are showing an short version of it like the other films there. So don't worry folks it won't be this short..
If I can find the article I will post it here.

I don't know- . The 55 minutes could be the final cut - and that would probably mean that the film is gonna be shown in IMAX theaters and not on the RealD-Sreens how I expected.

Most IMAX-3D-Movies are 55 minutes long :sad:

(but where is the info from that the movie is 55 minutes long - I couldn't find that)

Last edited:
NEW ORDER, BONO and DEPECHE MODE are tipped to give next month's (May07) Cannes Film Festival in France a musical boost by performing at a party following the premiere of Ian Curtis biopic Control. The rock and pop stars are among the celebrities who will be attending the screening and the celebration of the tragic Joy Division star's life - and party organisers are trying to persuade the musicians to play. The film marks rock photographer Anton Corbijn's directorial debut.

The BBC are all excited!

U2 film 'could spark 3D revolution'
By Stephen Robb
BBC News entertainment reporter at the Cannes Film Festival

A U2 concert film in digital 3D could herald a minor cinema revolution after its unveiling at the Cannes Film Festival.
U2 3D has been assembled from more than 100 hours of footage shot on the band's Vertigo tour last year, with the majority coming from two shows in front of 90,000 people in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

"You have never seen 3D shot live, unscripted like this," says producer John Modell.

"We have developed some really great tools to allow you to shoot 3D live action and have it look just perfect."

Cannes journalists agree, with BBC film reporter Tom Brook saying: "I liked it because it was more than just a gimmick - it made it very intimate at times."

He adds: "They should have had cool air blowing from the front to complete the experience."

Viewers wear special 3D glasses to experience the feeling of being within the live audience, enhanced by the film's surround sound, while performers' limbs appear to come out of the screen at times.

"This process of 3D, we really feel it immerses you in the event. It brings you closer to the artist, and closer to their songs," says Modell.

'Sea-change'

He says the technology will be used to cover a sporting event, while it can also be utilised for scripted films.

"We feel that this new era of 3D is going to be a sea-change, very much like going from the silent films to talkies, or from black-and-white to colour."

The company behind the technology, 3ality Digital, approached U2 and arranged to film a single-camera test in 2005.

The result impressed the band, with singer Bono suggesting shooting the full film on the band's return to South America after an eight-year absence.

As well as filming concerts in Mexico, Brazil and Chile, U2 3D's makers shot a performance of 10 songs without an audience in Buenos Aires to get vital close-ups.

"We just made sure we had the cameras in the right place, and we let them really get into what they do best," says Modell.

'Very profound'

U2 3D is credited to co-directors Catherine Owens, who has produced visuals for several U2 tours, and Mark Pellington, who directed the band's One video and several films.

The film features performances of hits including Sunday Bloody Sunday, With or Without You, The Fly and Beautiful Day.

The band have seen several of the songs, and found it a "very profound experience", says Modell.

"One of the things that Bono said was, 'I've never been to one of our shows before.'"

U2 are due to attend the 60th Cannes Film Festival on Saturday.

silvrlvr said:
Reuters not so much (mostly whining about having to get up for an 8 a.m. preview. Hey dude, I'll switch jobs with you:)

http://blogs.reuters.com/category/events/cannes-2007/?src=051807_0910_FEATURES_cannes_film_festival

a portion of the link you posted: "The real pop glamour comes on Saturday night, when the film is screened at midnight at the main Cannes cinema for invited guests. There are rumours the band might perform a couple of songs outside the theatre just beforehand. Now that’s rock’n'roll.

:hyper: :drool: how cool would that be if they performed there too!! What I wouldn't do to be at Cannes right now!!
:sad: damn it!!!:mad:

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/215389

The set list includes “It’s A Beautiful Day,” “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” “Bullet The Blue Sky,” “The Fly,” “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own,” “Miss Sarajevo,” and the anthemic show closer “With You or Without You.”
The band members make good use of the third dimension, moving towards the camera in such a way that it seems they are literally standing before you.

The technique works particularly well during the acoustic part of the show, when the four musicians move separately around the stadium.

New-style 3D glasses that look like sunglasses and that work much better than the old red-and-blue models are handed out to audience members. They resemble the glasses currently being used for the 3D presentations of the animated comedy Meet the Robinsons.

I can't wait..:hyper:

The theatrical release is supposed to be 80 or 90 minutes long according to most of the reports I've seen. Given the way U2 likes to do things I would be suprised if the final cut is already done. They could be changing things right up until the release. This showing is to market the film to the theaters. So far other than the grumbling about the press screening being at 8:00 a.m. it seems to be getting good reviews.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom