Bono playing chess photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you're right, but it looks like someplace in Dublin..

:drool:

great pic.

yeah, he beat his father when he was a little one. *loves the man's big..knowledge of things*

I :love: that photo!!!! The eyebrow and the arm :drool:

It does look like Dublin, and maybe the Zoo era.

I would love to lose a game of chess to Bono.

kool pic, i personaly don't have the patience to play chess though my brother is very good and has tried to teach me to play

I ran across this in the RollingStone archives it is from March 1993 RS 651.

Bono is talking about his relationship with his dad:

"...I don't generally talk about my family, but another thing he did, he taught me chess. That's something I've never admitted to because it was always so uncool to be a chess player. It's the most un-rock & roll thing you could do, so I never ever talked about it, but that was actually my obsession before rock & roll. When I was a kid, I played in adult tournaments and played internationally when I a ten or eleven. Things like that were important moments for me. I really, really enjoy opera now, 'cause he used to listen to it all the time. He'd just kind of throw you something like that..."

faithingrace said:
I ran across this in the RollingStone archives it is from March 1993 RS 651.

Bono is talking about his relationship with his dad:

"...I don't generally talk about my family, but another thing he did, he taught me chess. That's something I've never admitted to because it was always so uncool to be a chess player. It's the most un-rock & roll thing you could do, so I never ever talked about it, but that was actually my obsession before rock & roll. When I was a kid, I played in adult tournaments and played internationally when I a ten or eleven. Things like that were important moments for me. I really, really enjoy opera now, 'cause he used to listen to it all the time. He'd just kind of throw you something like that..."

That's cool. I think that's great that his dad exposed him to all those kinds of things.

And I personally don't think his playing chess is uncool-I actually think it's cute. I mean, just get the image of him sitting there strategizing during this game in your head-I dunno, it's just a cute thought. :shrug:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And I personally don't think his playing chess is uncool-I actually think it's cute. I mean, just get the image of him sitting there strategizing during this game in your head-I dunno, it's just a cute thought. :shrug:.

Angela

:yes: I admire him for it. I wish I had the patience to learn chess. I used to know a little years ago, but I didn't play that much, so I remember nothing know :reject:

Oh, and that pic is amazing :drool:

Thanks Jim, for posting this great photo.

My husband Ted, taught our son Chris (when he was only eight), how to play chess.
And I have, so many happy memories of the two men, that I love the most, doing just this.

I'd love to play him at strip chess, cause when I play chess I never use a strategy, I just try to get all the other guys pieces and then see what happens. :D

Back
Top Bottom