Bono on MLK Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruffian

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
BonoandCorettaScottKing.jpg

Here's a link to an article that many of you may have already read about (and some of you were there) Bono as an honoree at the King Center "Salute to Greatness" in 2004. Thought it is a fitting day to repost:

http://atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3305

I hate to say it but there is still alot of racism in the south. :sad: I wish we could be more like Bono and not see black & white--just people. :hug:

So I'm looking forward to people saying, 'Well actually Bono, you're Irish, go home will ya? We have this under control in our own country.' I hope that's coming up."

lmao... great article! and nice picture too :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:
That's awesome pic and article ruffian!! Thanks for posting and yes very fitting to this special day...:wink:

you are gonna love his lecture on the 3rd if you haven't heard him speak yet. One of the most charismatic and engaging speakers I've ever heard. In October in Philadelphia I remember sitting there thinking, "and this man is a gifted musician as well ???"

ruffian said:

you are gonna love his lecture on the 3rd if you haven't heard him speak yet. One of the most charismatic and engaging speakers I've ever heard. In October in Philadelphia I remember sitting there thinking, "and this man is a gifted musician as well ???"

ruff, you aren't going to see B in feb??? Wahhhhhhhhhh!! :sad: I figured you would be there! Would love to see you sweetie! :hug:

I know..I am so jazzed to hear him speak..yes, this will be my first time...I am going to etch every word spoken into my brain!..I am sure this going to have such a profound effect on me...for the better!...

argh why didn't I know that Bono spoke in Rotterdam in my country one year and a day ago???? AAAAARGH there goes my chance of hearing/seeing Bono IRL!

"I'm not white either by the way, the Irish are kind of -- pinkish." :cute:
and what he said to Mrs. King after she said she adopted him as another son :cute:

I've never read this great article before or even seen the picture. thanks so much for reposting :)

Thank you for reposting this article. Sometimes I can't get over what a humble man, Bono is. But from what I've read Dr. King was the same way. A man well before his time who was only doing what he felt was right for humanity. Two great men who leave a legacy of great impact on this world. :heart:

Something to ponder on this day.....

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. "

Thank you so much ruffian for posting that. I can see where your heart lies. You share the dream of MLK Bono and myself... I love that Bono is from a whole other country but he can still see that racism is wrong and just down right unnecessary. He is not afraid to speak out and show the world what he knows to be truth. We can all keep Dr. Kings dream alive by telling someone that we know about what MLK stands for. Bono does it in songs. We can do it by telling a friend of ours who judges a person by there skin color how wrong that is. I would like to post a few of my favorite Martin Luther King quotes. I already posted some in FYM but I think it would be appropriate for this thread too.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and
violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge,
aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Prize acceptance speech, Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964.

Man was born into barbarism when killing his fellow man was a normal condition of existence. He became endowed with a
conscience. And he has now reached the day when violence toward another human being must become as abhorrent as eating
another's flesh.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Why We Can't Wait, 1963.

The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of
civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant
animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967.

Here are two links that I hope everyone will like. :sexywink:

The first one is the article that I did for this website regarding my experiences at the activities surrounding Bono's time at the King Center in 2004:

http://forum.interference.com/t87631.html

The second link is the report from the Atlanta Constitution-Journal (the Atlanta newspaper) about Bono at the King Center:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0104/17ebenezer.html

Definitely click on the Photo Gallery to see some awesome pictures from Bono's day in Atlanta!

Hope you all like the links.

Quite honestly, I have seen Bono in person many times and have heard speak on Africa several times, but Bono at the King Center was something different.

You could definitely feel the positive energy in the room.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

ruffian said:

lecture on the 3rd about...? where?

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Something to ponder on this day.....

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. "

^That is so profound and oh-so-true, Amy, thanks. I did think about today being the day honoring MLK and wondered whether Bono would be doing something, somewhere in the world where he would make comment about the occasion.

Back
Top Bottom