Bono nominated at VMA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyu2

The Fly
on the higher staircase, to the higher ground
Category: Quadruple Threat Of The Year

This is what the mtv site says: Bono
When he's not chicken-walking and sharing mics with The Edge as the lead singer of U2 (the world's biggest rock band), Bono is a fierce social activist widely known for his work in Africa and debt relief. The three time Nobel Peace Prize nominee, honorary knight and Time Person of the Year sits on the board of finance giant Elevation Partners and has just refurbished the hotel he co-owns with -- who else? -- The Edge.

His competiton: Justin, Jay-z, Beyonce and Kany West

an award given to boundary-busters who excel in multiple fields (such as music, fashion, philanthropy, business, acting and dance).

If Bono doesn't win this I will lose what little respect I might still have for MTV.

Then again, MTV might give this to Justin, Jay-z, Beyonce or Kanye West, :huh: :yikes:

ramblin rose said:
an award given to boundary-busters who excel in multiple fields (such as music, fashion, philanthropy, business, acting and dance).

If Bono doesn't win this I will lose what little respect I might still have for MTV.

Then again, MTV might give this to Justin, Jay-z, Beyonce or Kanye West, :huh: :yikes:

Well the others have it for fashion and dancing but Bono runs circles around the rest of those well dressed, booty shakers.

You are right though, MTV could easily give it someone else. That would be so frustrating but predictable coming from MTV. :mad:

ramblin rose said:

Maybe if he wins I will get some respect for MTV :happy:

Would these awards be happening in NYC? :hmm:

U2 is also up with Green Day for the Saints:
Most Earth Chattering Collaboration

they are running against:
Justin Timberlake/Timberland
Gwen Stefani/Akon
Akon/Enimen
Beyonce/Shakira

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Thanks for the explanation. :up: I didn't understand what the nomination was either! :wink: But I'm sceptical about Bono actually winning this, he's not exactly known for his dancing abilities....:uhoh:

last unicorn said:

You have respect for MTV? :laugh:

Seriously, MTV sucks and these awards are a joke.

Well, I still have the memories of MTV when it was a channel worth watching. It's a shame that it's no longer the case, but there was a time when it was. The little respect I might still have for them is derived from those times.

As far as the award is concerned, anytime the possibility of seeing Bono on a red carpet or an awards show exists, it's a good thing. At least for me it is.

ramblin rose said:

If that's what it means, then Timberlake will win it :rolleyes:

ramblin rose said:

Well, I still have the memories of MTV when it was a channel worth watching. It's a shame that it's no longer the case, but there was a time when it was. The little respect I might still have for them is derived from those times.

As far as the award is concerned, anytime the possibility of seeing Bono on a red carpet or an awards show exists, it's a good thing. At least for me it is.

Yes, so true, I remember this, too, from 100 years ago. :sad:

But somehow I doubt Bono will even turn up for this ceremony. This made-up award category sounds ridiculous.

Hmm..I'm gonna go out on a limb here and dissect the categories:

multiple fields...and let's remember this is THIS YEARS (2006-2007?) award

music - competition's pretty fierce in this category, all those artists save maybe Beyonce put out some pretty good songs this past year. I dunno about U2, to be honest, I consider 2006 a great LIVE year for them, hands down number 1 act live, yep. But otherwise? :shrug: I'd lean to Kanye and Justin (EXCEPTION that gratingly annoying sexywhateversong) on this one.

fashion - ok this is definitely not Bono's forte, cmon I love the guy but he's pretty one dimensional fashion wise, alot of repetitive styles...they're cool, I like em, but their not groundbreaking. I lean to Beyonce and Justin on this one. Even Jay-Z.

philanthropy - Bono, hands down, end of story. However, because this is about multiple talents, some of the others could get a few points in this area...Beyonce maybe?

business - Well...save the whole Elevation Partners thing in which his involvment is peripheral at best ie he's not producing or managing artists or launching perfume lines and U2 inc (which isn't really specific to this year), is it really fair to say Bono leads in this pool? Altho he did throw his weight behind Edun...and Red, but that likely is more appropriately credited to Philanthriopy... Jay-Z, Kanye hell even Beyonce, all extremely good business people with their fingers in more than one pot. Have no clue about Justin, don't follow him really.

Acting - this by default goes to Beyonce. Like her acting skills or hate them, she's the only one with any sort of significant roles in film. Oh wait..Justin did that one recently cant remmeber what it was called...

Dance - Um. Well it goes without saying. Justin's the dancer. So is Beyonce, when she concentrates more on dance and less on ass shakin. Even then, she's good lol.

So I dunno....I have to be honest with myself that I can't really see my favorite singer as last years quadruple threat if those are the categories...I think it will likely go Beyonce or Justin. with Jay-Z close behind. I do think it's cool that Bono was nominated tho!

:shrug:

Last edited:
Not really Bono's, he puts his name behind it , sure...but there's no way Edun moves as many units or has made as big an impact with the MTV crowd as a line like say Rocawear (Jay'Z) or Beyonce's stuff etc. Even in the diversity of the product lines/styles, Jay-Zs (by way of example) is more wide-ranging than Edun's has been in the last year.

Remember we're not talking which one we think is better but which has made the most impact on *that viewership.

Well then as far as having an impact, I think Bono would get some praise in that category for RED. I mean, it probably isn't as strong now as it was when it first came out, but RED was all over the place. obviously, he didn't design it, but he was involved in it.

I would tend to agree that he should get a huge nod for Red...but I'm wondering if that more properly belongs in Business or Philanthropy? as opposed to Fashion? Or maybe more appropriately, a bit of all three! In which case, he becomes a triple threat at least!

Maybe we're getting to in-depth for the MTV context tho....in terms of fashion they could probably be as superficial to mean simply who the most people take fashion cues from....?

Back
Top Bottom