Bono meeting fans outside San Jose now (4-9). Met Arun and others. Plzpostpicsstories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
article in todays SJ Mercury

U2 gives S.J. big-time night yet makes time for the little people

By Brad Kava

Mercury News

It's been a long time since San Jose hosted a BIG ROCK SHOW, and Saturday's U2 concert was just that. Fans flew in from all over the world, and many of them gathered at the backstage fence at HP Pavilion, hoping for a glimpse.

They got more. Shortly after the band's private jet flew overhead, emblazoned with the red ``Vertigo'' logo off U2's latest album, singer Bono pulled up in an SUV and told fans he'd be back in an hour, after sound check.

True to his word, at 5 p.m. Saturday, the singer greeted some 130 fans, spending time with each, signing autographs and posing for pictures.

After the show, the band huddled in the Pagoda restaurant at the Fairmont hotel while dozens of fans in the lobby's bar and lounge mingled with television and radio journalists, who were there for the Associated Press awards dinner.

After 1 a.m., some random guy took over the lounge's piano and led a huge singalong on the Stones' ``Sympathy for the Devil,'' Elton John's ``Rocket Man'' and Lynyrd Skynyrd's ``Sweet Home Alabama,'' to the chagrin of the hotel's security staff.

It was one of those great impromptu moments. For a few minutes, San Jose had that world-class-city feel that so often eludes it. And miraculously, the police department didn't rush in and try to close it down.

Earlier that evening, back onstage, Bono must have surprised some fans, speaking about his friendship and respect for the late Pope John Paul II. He said he gave the pope, who had stared at him with clear, ``piercing eyes,'' a pair of his trademark ``Fly'' sunglasses. The pope returned the favor, giving Bono a small ``crooked cross'' based on a design by Michelangelo.

The singer displayed it during the show, saying he ordinarily carried it in his pocket and didn't wear it during rock shows, never knowing what could happen to it there.

``I didn't agree with everything he stood for,'' the singer said of the pope, whom he claimed had a little bit of a ``rock star complex.'' ``But he stood for something. I was proud to be in his company.''

Bret .. do you have anymore of the signing of 2nd half of fans? .. I was on that side.. and I don't have a good pic . Thanks again for sharing them!! :hyper:

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

Crap! I feel like such a heel!

I never thought to try and find you that day! :(

I was waiting for the band, but I was also afraid of losing my spot in line, so I left. The girl who had Bono draw her a picture was standing right next to me.

I had a friend of mine ask Bono to sign my license plate. He did. I wish I could have been there, but that's OK. I'll meet him some day. And when I do, I just want to say thank you to him. :)

Are you going to any other shows?

Moonie :D

I know, there were so many people to meet, I wish we had too!!! Bummer!!!
I will be at LA1 in the Fall, and Oak 1 and 2! Hope to see you there!
I hope you get to meet them one day!!!

Hello, I normally lurk, but I was the San Jose signing as well. I thought I'd share.

I convinced my concert buddy, Tiff, to come early and try to catch the band before the show. She'd never seen live before, and always regretted missing out on Elevation. Good thing she went along with the plan - she took all the pictures. I was far too excited!

We arrived at about 2:30 and sat down on corner of the curb to wait. Since neither of us had eaten lunch, we had picked up some pizza, which we wolfed down pretty quickly.

At about 3:30, the band's "Vertigo" jumbo jet flew overhead, arriving at the San Jose airport. The crowd of about 100 at the gate erupted into cheers.

I was a little antsy, because I knew that sound check had to be at 4:00. I also got really fidgety and kept dropping things. Luckily, we were right up against the corner of the barricade. Well, 15 minutes later, Edge, Larry and Adam drove up, and straight into the compound. Edge flashed us a thumbs up and nodded. Bono was last to arrive. He rolled down the window to tell us "One hour." Awesome.

9176815_4998abdf4a_m.jpg

At about 5:30, a spriffy bald bodyguard named John walked up, flanked by Bono. The staff announced that he would sign autographs, but there was no time for pictures together. Now, I was expecting a courteous, but curt "Nice to meet you, thank you for coming, here's your autograph... Next!" automoton routine. But he was really quite sweet, charming, laid back and soft-spoken. Although he was pretty short, you don't really notice it because it's BONO standing right in front of you. He actually took his time with everyone and chatted, graciously listening to their accounts about their personal lives, and asked what we thought of the last few shows. You know, actual conversations with his full attention. And he really seemed to enjoy doing so. He even recognized some fans he had met before.

U22.jpg

When he got to me, he said hi, and started signing my cover to a vinyl single of "Pride". "This is a good one," he remarked, and went on to say that he got a little scared when he saw some of the older pictures, especially his hair. At this point, I was quite petrified/starstruck with glee and shock. Also, his gaze is pretty intense, even through the sunglasses. The man exudes charisma. I barely managed to squeak out a "Thank you."

U23.jpg
(Tiff took this one when he was talking to me!)

While he was signing my cover, I remembered that I had prepared chocolate dipped strawberries and packed them in nice red and black box in hopes of giving them to a band member. (the strawberries looked fantastic at the farmer's market, and the chocolate was on sale!) I suddenly remembered that box, and nervously asked, "Can I give this to you?" He seemed genuinely delighted and surprised. "For me? I get a present? And I didn't have do any work or favors anything for this?" All I could think of to say (pretty lamely) was, "Of course. To thank you. You can share them, if you want. Or not." He began to gingerly open it, and asked, "What is it?" I told him, "chocolate covered strawberries." With a little mock gasp, he beamed and exclaimed, rather mischieviously, "You naughty thing!" I gaped a little, then giggled and totally blushed beet red to my toes. (What a flirt! Figures. Irishmen. Oh, and sigh...) He handed them to John, "Would you mind keeping an eye on these?" When the bodyguard pretended to hide them behind his back, I giggled, "I think he just might run off them, Bono." He winked and told his bodyguard "We'll just keep this between the two of us, John." He asked my name and went on to sign a pre-Joshua Tree songbook of mine.

He moved on to Tiff next, and squeezed her hand and signed her "Bomb" album cover. She was also awestruck and couldn't really think of much to say either. I honestly can't remember what he said to her, it was such a blur. Neither of us could move, for the next 20 minutes. I swear, it was as though our legs were brick pillars!

Oh, and when Ali and the kids drove up, it was so cute - he totally dropped what he was doing and broke into a huge smile to greet them. What a lucky family!

Anyways, Tiff is hooked on the idea of hanging at parking lots of every single U2 show now. I guess you can say I've turned her into a die hard fan.

Oh yeah, I also have to say that the fans and security staff in San Jose were incredibly courteous and cool. Everything ran really smoothly. I hope Oakland gets a clue from them.

9363388_4cbe0782fd_m.jpg

Last edited:
what a fantastic story! chocolate dipped stawberries... :drool: great idea! he probably doesn't get those too often. ;)

thank you for sharing your meeting- bono looks great in the photos! and congratulations... :cute: :up:

I’m so delighted with your story mysticonnie … :cute: That is how I have imagined it would be if I would ever meet him. Thank you for sharing.

And he looks so charming .... :combust:

Fantastic story mysticonnie! :applaud: Chocolate covered strawberries, what a great and original idea! :bow:

He'll remember you now!!! :drool:

Unless every PLEBAn turns up with strawberries from now on!

:wink: :laugh:

Last edited:
WOW! That story made me giggle! Imagine that:

Bono saying you naughty thing!! Being a total flirt as ever! :drool:

And does he look cute in your last pic or what?! :sexywink: :cute:

Thank you for your story, mysticonnie - and for telling it so well! Great photos, too. I hope I get to meet Bono one day. *sigh*

U2SJ said:

I know, there were so many people to meet, I wish we had too!!! Bummer!!!
I will be at LA1 in the Fall, and Oak 1 and 2! Hope to see you there!
I hope you get to meet them one day!!!

Thanks!

I'm going to try and get tickets for the fall LA1 or LA2 or whatever... I only have tickets for Portland. But, when fall rolls around, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. I'm very optimistic for that. :)

We will definitely meet up. :D

mysticonnie said:
Hello, I normally lurk, but I was the San Jose signing as well. I thought I'd share.

And he really seemed to enjoy doing so. He even recognized some fans he had met before.

U22.jpg

What an awesome story!

I must say thank you because the above picture you took is the only one I have of him signing my license plate. I thought we had to leave and so I gave my plate to a friend of mine, Ally and asked her if she would mind asking him to sign it if he indeed did come out. She graciously agreed and sign it he did. He recognized her from before, so I imagine the exchange you saw between them reflected that. :)

But, again, your story is fantastic and I was wondering about that red and black box John was holding. The mystery has been solved. ;)

Thanks again for that pic. It rocks! :)

by the way, I was the tall girl with the old green jacket on and the black Elevation tour beanie standing a bit to your right. I was originally next to Ally while we waited. I really wished I had stayed.

:yes: :giggle: Ahh-thank you My for sharing ur story-With Picturest yet!!:drool: :wink: Awesome idea..and all ur own to keep as a memory!! Congrats! PSSS,:flirt: :bump: I wouldn't be able to move/talk either!:shh:

Back
Top Bottom